Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
is it possible to spend stimulus money on computer and still help or are these things mutually exclusive?

i miss having a windows pc (and being able to run things like Reason and steam games and stuff) and i've been thinking about buying an htpc for a while for this purpose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I'm retrofitting some older lamps with led panels and I was wondering how exactly do these led drivers work? The output side will be rated for something like 30-50v DC @ 350ma and it all seems pretty plugnplay so long as you're using standard smd leds in that forward voltage range. When they turn on, do they just ramp up the voltage from the low end of the range to the high until they hit their 350ma target and then hold, or is there some other trickery going on?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yep, that's pretty much how a constant current driver works. except it happens more or less at the speed of light so you don't notice it happening.

well probably not more than the speed of light.

anyway Shame Boy can probably explain the circuitry for it better than i can. analog stuff is still kinda voodoo to me.

i had to look up what that poster is called now because they're always just orange pony avatar to me.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

that's good enough for me, thanks. I had an unfounded reckon in my head on how they worked from what I could see on spec sheets and just wanted to make sure so I don't melt anything stupidly

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Annoyed enough with namecheap that I'd like to leave. Any suggestions for something that has a wide list of TLDs, email forwarding/aliasing, and non-SMS 2FA?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
route 53

pram
Jun 10, 2001
google domains has all that + free whois privacy

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

gandi

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
whats the easiest way to turn my dumb, usb only printer into a network printer?

there’s no router near it so I need some sort of wireless ap whose only function is to serve as a network print server and that also hopefully isn’t running a hidden chinese webserver

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

raspberry pi running CUPS or something

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

raspberry pi running CUPS or something

i did that for a wide format years ago and it was fine, bit slow on the original b but anything newer should be fast enough now or you have to wait a few more seconds

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
search amazon for wireless print server and find one that works w/ ur printer

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

there’s no router near it so I need some sort of wireless ap whose only function is to serve as a network print server and that also hopefully isn’t running a hidden chinese webserver

the big trick here is going to be if the printer supports PCL or postscript. If it does, then pretty much any of those little wireless printer adapter things should Just Work. If not, then all the brains for how it actually forms the print job is done in the driver which means most likely your only options will be to use one of those usb over IP adapters to backhaul the connection to a real computer that can run the driver package or hang some kind of linux minicomputer off the back of it

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
i have a fairly newly-built Windows 10 PC that i keep in my basement for stuff like Plex, streaming PC games on the numerous NVidia Shield TV devices i have, and general storing of files and stuff like that. it's an i7 9700k and 64 GB of RAM if that matters. it's not being overclocked or anything.

it's been running stable for the past 6 months, never had an issue. but now since April 22nd (two days ago as of this post) programs constantly crash with some "Just In Time" error which is some sort of debugging thing that i know for a fact i never turned on? pretty much any and every app crashes with this error. so i goggled it and disabled "just in time debugging" via two different registry entries.

unfortunately it's not stopping programs/windows from crashing. every 20 minutes or so the computer just hard locks and i have to force reboot it.

i checked to see what was installed on the 22nd and here is the list:

i guess from me installing sonic adventure dx and GTA 5 via steam it also installed some Visual C++ stuff? does this make sense as to why i am having all these problems now? is the only way to fix this by uninstalling those? and if so does it mean i can't play certain steam games?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Buy a Synology

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
serious replies only, please

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

the big trick here is going to be if the printer supports PCL or postscript. If it does, then pretty much any of those little wireless printer adapter things should Just Work. If not, then all the brains for how it actually forms the print job is done in the driver which means most likely your only options will be to use one of those usb over IP adapters to backhaul the connection to a real computer that can run the driver package or hang some kind of linux minicomputer off the back of it

wtf

just set up cups on a rpi as suggested, god

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

serious replies only, please

install linux

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
did the two of you miss the fact that it's being used to play games

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

cool, you should still buy a synology for this

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

incredible

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
get a mac op

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

now you have two problems

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

uninstall the jank rear end third party start menu poo poo you use. don’t run random batch files off the internet to “decrapify” Windows 10

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
decrapifying windows 10 is easy just run fdisk -w

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
what's the best way to set up my mother's computer to backup to an external drive? is the built-in stuff in windows good enough or do i want to install a separate program?

online backup is not an option, she is still on slow DSL

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jenny Agutter posted:

uninstall the jank rear end third party start menu poo poo you use. don’t run random batch files off the internet to “decrapify” Windows 10

yeah, the age for these is gone and win 10 pro allows for all the configs out of box to remove telemetry (or home with some reg editing) which is the only thing to change

as for the issues i thought there was a janky update recently? im not sure if that could be the cause but its a problem for lots of people right now

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

printers have gotten so cheap that a new printer is probably comparable in cost to a competent, name-brand print server

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

wtf

just set up cups on a rpi as suggested, god

cups will still require pcl or postscript to get any kind of reasonable print output

and fuckin lol @ CJing an rpi running cups when an hp jetdirect is "set and forget"

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i mean i have a fine brother mfc with its own network printing so on one hand yeah, lol, but i used to have a wide format setup on the other side of my den/workspace that was perfectly fine with a default rpi install and running some prebuilt cups pi package

the wide format was a glorious/dreadful epson 1280 so the real janitoring was cleaning the ink nozzles without using $30 of ink. the prints were amazing and i could make great mocks for designs, but print is dead and ive dehumanized myself and faced to b&w laser printing for my occasional forms

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

anything wide format or remotely above bare-bones minimum spec would support pcl/ps. you can usually tell on the driver download page because they will mention one or both formats. all those lovely inkjets that you got for free with your $700 college dell shitbox? they're the wintel modems of the printing world

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Please do not have laser printers in teh home. You're huffing toner 24/7 at that point.

:ohdear:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Toner is basically just carbon and I am basically just carbon. Fite me

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Schadenboner posted:

Please do not have laser printers in teh home. You're huffing toner 24/7 at that point.

isn't that only when its printing? my printer spins up like once a month

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Schadenboner posted:

Perplx posted:

isn't that only when its printing? my printer spins up like once a month

having a printer running is like having a lit cigarette in the room

it's not gonna kill you but it's not good for indoor air quality, neither

Sagebrush posted:

Toner is basically just carbon and I am basically just carbon. Fite me

benzene is basically just carbon

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

anything wide format or remotely above bare-bones minimum spec would support pcl/ps. you can usually tell on the driver download page because they will mention one or both formats. all those lovely inkjets that you got for free with your $700 college dell shitbox? they're the wintel modems of the printing world

like 99% of printers, even cheap ones, support either pcl or ps, to varying degrees of correctness

only the very cheapest inkjets from the very worst moments in history relied on gdi printing

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

it did but for the time and effort and cost of a spare pi it was okay for occasional use :shrug:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jenny Agutter posted:

i used to use classic shell for the start menu but i got rid of it months ago, and i've never decrapified windows in any way besides maybe when i was 13 when Windows 98 was out but it's a moot point because i discovered today after buying a completely new hard drive that i am still getting random BSoDs

things i have done:

-removed every single hard drive other than the new ssd where i was trying to install windows (got BSoDs while installing windows today)

-removed the graphics card; tried a different graphics card and the built in one and still got bsods

-ran memtest over night (no errors found)

-checked my CPU temps which never went past 52C

and I am still getting bsods. so it's obviously a hardware issue. at this point the only things left on the computer are the motherboard and the CPU. the motherboard is only about 6 months old. do they really poo poo themselves that fast?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 27, 2020

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
maybe you need a bios update (or downgrade if the manufacturer sucks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

and I am still getting bsods. so it's obviously a hardware issue. at this point the only things left on the computer are the motherboard and the CPU. the motherboard is only about 6 months old. do they really poo poo themselves that fast?

if you are getting actual bluescreens then run nirsoft bluescreenview and see what it says, could be a hosed up driver