Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

steinrokkan posted:

I've never heard about Samo being the leader of the knights waiting in Blaník. It's always St. Wenceslaus, on account of being the patron saint of Bohemia. The painting you attached is also of St. Wenceslaus.
Did not know, but happy to learn!
Thanks.

EDIT:
I have to say it's been cool for me to call myself "Bohemian" probably legally.

The Mighty Moltres has a new favorite as of 12:40 on Apr 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Come join us in the genealogy thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777244

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Also, the Danish kings were elected by vote for a good while in the middle ages (though obviously suffrage wasn't universal, so it's not really comparable to a modern democracy).

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Carthag Tuek posted:

Also, the Danish kings were elected by vote for a good while in the middle ages (though obviously suffrage wasn't universal, so it's not really comparable to a modern democracy).

As did the Polish. Although the details are somewhat complex, it was only abolished in 1791.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
So were the kings of Poland and, later, the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. One early modern Polish Chancellor defined the state as "A republic under the presidency of the King". The noble population in Poland was high enough that at times, more than 10% of the population were eligible to vote for the king and sit in the parliament - not bad for a pre-modern state. There are also a few records of nobles complaining that records weren't being kept properly and basically anyone who put a little effort into it could claim to be a noble and there wasn't a lot that could be done about it...

It did start to fall apart when the parliament went from requiring majority votes to requiring unanimous votes, and any dickhead with a grudge - or in the pay of a foreign power - could hold up legislation and budgets.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Angry Salami posted:

So were the kings of Poland and, later, the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. One early modern Polish Chancellor defined the state as "A republic under the presidency of the King". The noble population in Poland was high enough that at times, more than 10% of the population were eligible to vote for the king and sit in the parliament - not bad for a pre-modern state. There are also a few records of nobles complaining that records weren't being kept properly and basically anyone who put a little effort into it could claim to be a noble and there wasn't a lot that could be done about it...

It did start to fall apart when the parliament went from requiring majority votes to requiring unanimous votes, and any dickhead with a grudge - or in the pay of a foreign power - could hold up legislation and budgets.

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ChubbyChecker posted:

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

:hmmyes:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Helith posted:

Interesting stuff, there’s an obvious parallel to the legends of King Arthur in Samo, a ‘sleeping’ king who’ll rise again when their country is in need to defeat its enemies.

This is an extremely common archetype btw. I think Fred Barbarossa is the same. I have no clue if it's a European thing, a greater PIE myth or just plain universal among all people or what but there are definitely a bunch of them

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The Hungarians also technically elected their kind though for a long time they just picked the same dynasty until they died out

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Those stories about Samo loving own and are also super badass

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Milo and POTUS posted:

This is an extremely common archetype btw. I think Fred Barbarossa is the same. I have no clue if it's a European thing, a greater PIE myth or just plain universal among all people or what but there are definitely a bunch of them

In Denmark we have Holger Danske (Ogier le Danois) who is said to have been a knight under Charlemagne, and appears in The Song of Roland. He is said to sleep under Kronborg Castle (for so long that his beard has grown into the table) and will rise when Denmark is threatened. A resistance group was named after him during WW2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogier_the_Dane
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holger_Danske_(resistance_group)

But yeah, the sleeping king/hero is very common:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_asleep_in_mountain

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 15:24 on Apr 24, 2020

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Milo and POTUS posted:

There's a few of them outside of Europe - in Peru, there's a legend that the head of the last Inca king was taken to safety after the Spanish executed him, and that he will return once he regrows his body. There's also the Shi'a Muslim belief that the last Imam is still alive but concealed from the world, and will return at the end of days to bring justice to the world.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Samo, the Frankish merchant, became the first king of the Slavs by popular vote.
Yes, you read that right.
He was voted as king.

It's not that uncommon. Until 1544 all swedish kings were elected and in 1905 Haakon VII only accepted to be king of Norway if he was elected.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Extremely powerful aristocrats were fairly common really.

The idea of the all powerful king was actually rather rare

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The Danish king "only" had absolute power from 1660 to 1848, and I mean even then he couldn't gently caress with the nobility too much

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm reminded of Louis the whatever's finance minister, duh-something. He built this chateau. Nicole and I saw it when we went to Paris. It even outshone ver-sails. But the king, in the end, Louis clapped him in irons.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

hawowanlawow posted:

I'm reminded of Louis the whatever's finance minister, duh-something. He built this chateau.

The bishop who built Hampton Court Palace in England was quicker on the uptake. When he saw Henry VIII eyeing it up, he gave it to the king as a gift.

It was quite common for kings or rulers to knock off people with houses fancier than them. All the way back to Republican Rome, when Sulla's cronies quietly added the names of citizens with snazzy houses to the proscription lists. Cicero talks about it in one of his speeches, saying it was so well-known that citizens would talk about "X being killed by his new garden portico. and Y being murdered by his bathhouse."

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Angry Salami posted:

There's a few of them outside of Europe - in Peru, there's a legend that the head of the last Inca king was taken to safety after the Spanish executed him, and that he will return once he regrows his body. There's also the Shi'a Muslim belief that the last Imam is still alive but concealed from the world, and will return at the end of days to bring justice to the world.

As an American, my people’s legend is that when the country is in danger, our leader will hide inside a mountain while the rest of us burn.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

CommunityEdition posted:

As an American, my people’s legend is that when the country is in danger, our leader will hide inside a mountain while the rest of us burn.
Raven Rock is insane.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

CommunityEdition posted:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CommunityEdition posted:

That's less of a legend and more a description of what's happening right now.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Loxbourne posted:

The bishop who built Hampton Court Palace in England was quicker on the uptake. When he saw Henry VIII eyeing it up, he gave it to the king as a gift.

It was quite common for kings or rulers to knock off people with houses fancier than them. All the way back to Republican Rome, when Sulla's cronies quietly added the names of citizens with snazzy houses to the proscription lists. Cicero talks about it in one of his speeches, saying it was so well-known that citizens would talk about "X being killed by his new garden portico. and Y being murdered by his bathhouse."

Eh not really as much as you think

Though the Sulla thing was

What was his crime?

He owned a prosperous vineyard

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Angry Salami posted:

You thought the head you saved was the last Inca king. But it was me, Dio!

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Carthag Tuek posted:

Indeed, it was limited to the family though, but not just eldest son, tended to be more "Powerful son" than anything else, to get elected, the prospective King had to sign a contract, essentially stating what he wanted to do and how much tax he was going to levy to do it.

The only comparable modern instance of this system, is Cambodia, where the monarch is elected among members of the Royal Family, by a council, which actually have several "democratically"* elected members.

*Cambodia is a de-facto single-party state.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Harriet Beecher Stowe, author of Uncle Tom’s Cabin (the bestselling book of the 19th century, behind the Bible), suffered from a neurodegenerative disease in her late 70s . The Washington Post reported that she imagined herself to be writing Uncle Tom’s Cabin for the first time, and for hours each day, she would reproduce her book by hand, almost word for word, anticipating what kind of reception it would receive.

At the same time, two rival publishing houses had employed biographers to write an account of her life. Stowe had conflated the two women in her mind, and caused much confusion by assuming that one writer she was talking to was the same one who had interviewed her shortly before.

The impact of Uncle Tom’s Cabin is fascinating to read about. As a response to its popularity, an entire genre of books and plays known as “anti-Tom” or “plantation” literature, which usually featured benign owners, happy slaves, and devious Yankee abolitionists, arose in the South. Some of the most famous works in this genre include Aunt Phillis’ Cabin and Uncle Robin, in His Cabin in Virginia, and Tom Without One in Boston. An interesting aspect of Aunt Phillis’ Cabin is the character Arthur Weston, a son of the South who is studying at Yale and uses wit and humor to counter attacks on slavery from all comers in that elite New England institution. I find similarities between that story and the “radical professor/lone objector” stories you’d find circulating on the internet ten years ago.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 21:15 on Apr 25, 2020

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Alhazred posted:

That's less of a legend and more a description of what's happening right now.

Imagine the collective surprise when the statue of Abraham Lincoln strides out of the memorial and punches the Covid-19 in the face.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

CommunityEdition posted:

in the dead city of raleigh, trump lies sleeping

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
When will Mount Rushmore rise up and start wreaking havoc?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Kevin DuBrow posted:

The impact of Uncle Tom’s Cabin is fascinating to read about. As a response to its popularity, an entire genre of books and plays known as “anti-Tom” or “plantation” literature, which usually featured benign owners, happy slaves, and devious Yankee abolitionists, arose in the South. Some of the most famous works in this genre include Aunt Phillis’ Cabin and Uncle Robin, in His Cabin in Virginia, and Tom Without One in Boston. An interesting aspect of Aunt Phillis’ Cabin is the character Arthur Weston, a son of the South who is studying at Yale and uses wit and humor to counter attacks on slavery from all comers in that elite New England institution. I find similarities between that story and the “radical professor/lone objector” stories you’d find circulating on the internet ten years ago.

If you're wondering how a character that was punished by death for refusing to reveal where fellow slaves ran away to became synonymous with being a quisling, this is it.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Milo and POTUS posted:

If you're wondering how a character that was punished by death for refusing to reveal where fellow slaves ran away to became synonymous with being a quisling, this is it.

Those pro-slavery spoofs definitely contributed to that distortion of Uncle Tom. Perhaps more significant are the “Tom Shows”, theatrical adaptations of Stowe’s novel. Despite the novel’s massive readership, many more Americans would have seen these plays than have read the book. Over three times as many copies of the novel were actually sold in Great Britain than in the U.S. in the year following its publication. The Tom Shows left a more indelible influence on American culture than the book.

There wasn’t one “official” play and the shows varied widely in how faithful they were to the original material, often inverting the anti-slavery and feminist themes entirely. Some versions were definitely pro-slavery anti-Tom plays. Many more reduced the characters to racist caricatures and were basically minstrel shows, even if they weren’t explicitly pro-slavery. This carried on to extremely racist silent films in the early 1900s, and there was even a Mickey Mouse cartoon where they put on a Tom Show, complete with black face and minstrelry.

Not to say that Stowe’s novel was free of racial stereotyping itself. A lot of racist stock characters are featured in and popularized by the book—the tragic mulatta, “pickaninny” black children, etc. Even the original Uncle Tom has been criticized by black readers for his one-dimensional Christ-like passivity and unwillingness to fight for himself. Abolitionist literature was, after all, aimed at a white audience.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 23:09 on Apr 25, 2020

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Angry Salami posted:

In Sweden, some people still use the expression "polsk riksdag" (polish parliament) when describing a chaotic situation with lots of talk and little action.

We also have the pejorative word "ligist" meaning a criminal, vandal or troublemaker, which literally translates to "league-ist". The word "liga" - league - in Swedish means criminal gang (with the sole exception of describing foreign football leagues). This is a legacy of the 30 Years War, when Sweden fought the Catholic League. 400 years later, and we still refer to criminals (and football players) as catholics.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Those pro-slavery spoofs definitely contributed to that distortion of Uncle Tom. Perhaps more significant are the “Tom Shows”, theatrical adaptations of Stowe’s novel. Despite the novel’s massive readership, many more Americans would have seen these plays than have read the book. Over three times as many copies of the novel were actually sold in Great Britain than in the U.S. in the year following its publication. The Tom Shows left a more indelible influence on American culture than the book.

There wasn’t one “official” play and the shows varied widely in how faithful they were to the original material, often inverting the anti-slavery and feminist themes entirely. Some versions were definitely pro-slavery anti-Tom plays. Many more reduced the characters to racist caricatures and were basically minstrel shows, even if they weren’t explicitly pro-slavery. This carried on to extremely racist silent films in the early 1900s, and there was even a Mickey Mouse cartoon where they put on a Tom Show, complete with black face and minstrelry.

Not to say that Stowe’s novel was free of racial stereotyping itself. A lot of racist stock characters are featured in and popularized by the book—the tragic mulatta, “pickaninny” black children, etc. Even the original Uncle Tom has been criticized by black readers for his one-dimensional Christ-like passivity and unwillingness to fight for himself. Abolitionist literature was, after all, aimed at a white audience.

It’s just insane to me that abolitionist literature gets put on the same level as Birth of a Nation.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Kennel posted:

When will Mount Rushmore rise up and start wreaking havoc?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
When Liquid Ocelot constructs Outer Heaven and puts Mt Snakemore on top of a giant submarine-carrier.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Raven Rock is insane.

It's a good place to hide from the CORVID-19

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Mr. Sunshine posted:

We also have the pejorative word "ligist" meaning a criminal, vandal or troublemaker, which literally translates to "league-ist". The word "liga" - league - in Swedish means criminal gang (with the sole exception of describing foreign football leagues). This is a legacy of the 30 Years War, when Sweden fought the Catholic League. 400 years later, and we still refer to criminals (and football players) as catholics.

Sounds like a bad case of liga

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Grim and dark reboot of the Jönssonliga mythos.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Fish of hemp posted:

Grim and dark reboot of the Jönssonliga mythos.

Lysande, Fishan!

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Mr. Sunshine posted:

The word "liga" - league - in Swedish means criminal gang (with the sole extension to describing foreign football leagues). This is a legacy of the 30 Years War, when Sweden fought the Catholic League. 400 years later, and we still refer to criminals (and football players, but I repeat myself) as catholics.

FTFY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
From the obsolete tech thread.

Treguna Mekoides posted:

It's a less recent, analogue kind of obsolete tech, but letterlocking is absolutely fascinating. What was letterlocking? It's how people living pre-envelope and pre-Post Office frequently ensured their letters were intact, legible, and private, especially if they were not gentry and therefore could not use a seal to ensure authenticity and privacy, and it's great. I found this channel today and binged the entire thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16GAIaYN_Gk