Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hambeet posted:

You can't modify the case further? Make some cuts, etc?

A long time ago I had to put a second PSU in a computer so I sliced a channel in the side of the case, ran the cables through, and mounted it on there. I don’t see why you couldn’t do that for the only PSU besides space reasons. Might help with heat management, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

hambeet posted:

You can't modify the case further? Make some cuts, etc?

Unfortunately not. This is the old one. It's 6 years old and hasn't had a single hiccup. Of course power supplies work great right up until they don't. :(

Travic fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 24, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Klyith posted:

With an iGPU every bit of memory performance is a big deal, so it's probably worth trying out.

The basic idea is to go into the Advanced DRAM config in the bios and set timings for the main things - tCL, tRCD, tRP, tRAS -- to numbers that are proportional to (desired clock)/(current clock). So going from 2933 -> 3200 and your tCL was 16, then 16*3200/2933 = 17.5 round up to 18. Leave other things at auto and the mobo will hopefully be able to train the memory to set them.

For voltage, you can go over 1.35 but accelerated aging starts happening at 1.5v so stay below that. I'd say try things at 1.35 and if you get a result where it boots the OS but isn't stable, then try more juice.

Have the case open and one of the little jumper blocks handy, because you may need to clear the CMOS with the little jumper if you try a setting that it can't even load bios. (I glued a jumper to a wood dowel the last time I was doing this stuff, because my fingers couldn't reach without pulling the GPU.)

So, turns out my motherboard had a bunch of OC presets and a convenient feature to reset the RAM timings to default 2133MHz after a set number of failed reboots, removing the need to clear the CMOS. I tried a bunch of different RAM timings, ranging from CAS 18 at 3066MHz, CAS 18 3200MHz, etc., but nothing would work. I also noticed the 2933 XMP profile would only sometimes boot, which was annoying. In the end, I just said screw it and am running just 2x8GB sticks at 3200MHz. Not sure my Plex server even needs the extra 16GB of RAM anyways, heh.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

rotinaj posted:

If the lights remain lit to indicate there is an issue, I have an issue with VGA and Boot. Cool cool.

My issue was that the graphics card wanted a second power cable. Installing Windows now. Thanks y'all!

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Could someone help me upgrade my PC?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NFMfyf

I recently got gifted a GTX 1060 6GB, and that's been working okay, but now it seems my CPU (and probably mobo) is the bottleneck. Could anyone recommend me some alternatives that total to around ~$300? If I can upgrade to a nicer CPU without a mobo, I'd spend the whole $300 on that? I'm in the US. Specifically, I'd like to crush the recommended specifications for something like Gears Tactics.
Thanks for any help.

demostars
Apr 8, 2020

Firstborn posted:

Could someone help me upgrade my PC?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NFMfyf

I recently got gifted a GTX 1060 6GB, and that's been working okay, but now it seems my CPU (and probably mobo) is the bottleneck. Could anyone recommend me some alternatives that total to around ~$300? If I can upgrade to a nicer CPU without a mobo, I'd spend the whole $300 on that? I'm in the US. Specifically, I'd like to crush the recommended specifications for something like Gears Tactics.
Thanks for any help.

You can get a whole CPU + Mobo + RAM combo for less than $300 with the Ryzen 1600 AF (rebranded 2600).

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($83.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Custom: AMD Ryzen​ ​5 1600 (​12​nm) 3.2​ GH​z 6-Co​re P​roces​sor ($112.99)
Total: $266.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-23 20:21 EDT-0400

Technically you could reuse your RAM, but it's extremely slow at this point and is probably best suited to be part of a media PC or something with the i3.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
You could throw in a 500GB SSD for an extra $65. I know it would push the budget a bit over the $300 but a 120GB SSD these days is pretty low.

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever
Can you all look this over and make sure that I haven't made some boneheaded mistake before I pull the trigger on these parts for my wife's new computer build? I already have the computer case and CPU cooler. I know I'll have to get case fans, but she already has a keyboard, mouse, SSD storage, and other accessories from her current computer that she will reuse. We'll upgrade her monitor to something more current soon, but her 1080p monitors will suit her for the time being. I'll probably get a cheap Windows license from one of the sellers in SA Mart as has been recommended often in this thread.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.15 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14 CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($86.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB SC BLACK GAMING Video Card ($383.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NCASE M1 Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply: *Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($123.23 @ Amazon)
Custom: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3 ($219.99)
Total: $1178.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-23 20:57 EDT-0400

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
It never rains, but it pours. Now I can't power my drives because the way Corsair put their cables together is bananas.

Any ideas other than just reverting the build to the way it was and ordering a second SSD mounting bracket? I tried mounting the last drive in the opposite orientation to the one next to it and I can connect it, but it leads to bending of the pins.

If I need to take troubleshooting to a different thread just let me know.

Travic fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 24, 2020

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
I mean I guess you could just flip the top SSD upside down it's not like they have any directional affinity

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Sniep posted:

I mean I guess you could just flip the top SSD upside down it's not like they have any directional affinity

That's what I meant by the opposite orientation. Sorry I guess I described it badly. The wires then overhang the data port and while I can connect the cable it bends the pins. :(

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

demostars posted:

You can get a whole CPU + Mobo + RAM combo for less than $300 with the Ryzen 1600 AF (rebranded 2600).

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($83.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Custom: AMD Ryzen​ ​5 1600 (​12​nm) 3.2​ GH​z 6-Co​re P​roces​sor ($112.99)
Total: $266.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-23 20:21 EDT-0400

Technically you could reuse your RAM, but it's extremely slow at this point and is probably best suited to be part of a media PC or something with the i3.

Thanks for this. Are the parts are compatible, yeah? I can't find that CPU on the pcpartspicker site. Thanks! I'm gonna order here very soon. Wish I could get that CPU through Amazon.
This is it, right? I'm dumb: https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-5-...&quicklink=true

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 24, 2020

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Travic posted:

That's what I meant by the opposite orientation. Sorry I guess I described it badly. The wires then overhang the data port and while I can connect the cable it bends the pins. :(

ah, well, bending power pins wont kill it or you can just wait for prime delivery on a splitter like this https://www.amazon.com/Benfei-Power-Y-Splitter-Cable-Inches/dp/B07ML447FG if you want to keep them stacked the way they are for airflow sake. Sucks

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Thom P. Tiers posted:

You could throw in a 500GB SSD for an extra $65. I know it would push the budget a bit over the $300 but a 120GB SSD these days is pretty low.

Is there an external option in this price range?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Firstborn posted:

Thanks for this. Are the parts are compatible, yeah? I can't find that CPU on the pcpartspicker site. Thanks! I'm gonna order here very soon. Wish I could get that CPU through Amazon.
This is it, right? I'm dumb: https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-5-...&quicklink=true

You need to get the 1600 whose partnumber ends in AF; the one you linked is AE, which is 1st generation Ryzen. The 1600 with the AF partnumber is basically a downclocked Ryzen 2600.

demostars
Apr 8, 2020

Firstborn posted:

No, that’s the old version. The PCP has a link to the Amazon listing if you click on the CPU.

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6-Core, 12-Thread Unlocked 65W Desktop Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler (YD1600BBAFBOX) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XTQZJ28/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_9fLOEbGSYF37R

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

A few months ago I was an impatient man - I had ordered a new case, a 3600, 2x8GB-3200 RAM, and a new mobo to replace my aging i5-4590 with 8GB of RAM. When my memory didn't arrive with my everything else, I went out and bought a different pair of 2x8GB sticks (with the same clock speed) from a brick and mortar Best Buy to just put it all together to make sure my mobo would post, etc, and everything worked fine. When the sticks I ordered online arrived, I told myself I'd just return it soon.

Flash forward to today when I discovered those sticks still in their packaging. Is there anything I'm losing out on by installing these sticks into the other two slots, or anything else to be concerned about? This is the motherboard I've got, and it supports up to 32GB. I don't NEED 32 for my usage (gaming, light programming), but if there's little to lose beyond upgrade flexibility I'd probably just install them instead of trying to shop them around SA-Mart or the like.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's not going to hurt but it's not going to help either if the heaviest thing you're doing is gaming. The upcoming console generation isn't going to change that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The first thing I do when I get a new computer is jam 32 gigs of ram in there. It's overkill but I like not having to worry about background processes and all that. Some stuff like flight sims are going to want 32 gigs if you play those. It's not an expensive upgrade and if you have it you may as well do it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
So after some reading, I think I'm gonna stick with my i7-4790K for a little longer and just toss down the scratch for a new GPU that I can take forward. I'm eyeing a 2060 Super to replace my GTX 1060, since the ~10% boost the 2070 Super offers doesn't seem like it'd be worth a hundred extra bucks. I'd have an eye to doing CPU et al next year. Is this a crazy plan?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Echophonic posted:

So after some reading, I think I'm gonna stick with my i7-4790K for a little longer and just toss down the scratch for a new GPU that I can take forward. I'm eyeing a 2060 Super to replace my GTX 1060, since the ~10% boost the 2070 Super offers doesn't seem like it'd be worth a hundred extra bucks. I'd have an eye to doing CPU et al next year. Is this a crazy plan?

The 2070S is great at 1440p and can hold up well with ray tracing even before DLSS comes in. When it comes to RT stuff it's a way better choice than the 2060, super or not. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but it's probably my favorite piece of computer hardware since the Radeon 9800 (the non-pro that you could flash to the Pro and get like 100 bucks of GPU performance for ten seconds of work)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Travic posted:

It never rains, but it pours. Now I can't power my drives because the way Corsair put their cables together is bananas.

Any ideas other than just reverting the build to the way it was and ordering a second SSD mounting bracket? I tried mounting the last drive in the opposite orientation to the one next to it and I can connect it, but it leads to bending of the pins.

If I need to take troubleshooting to a different thread just let me know.

remove the 2nd ssd from the bracket, plug the power and sata cables into it, let it just sit loose on top of the other one, vaguely held in place with the cable connection

remember you have a floppy drive in there if you need to transport your case anywhere

(pretty much every reasonably-priced PSU has sata cables like that, because they're way cheaper than terminated-wire ones that will sit flat next to each other in the way you want. blame the obsession with modular everything that drives a cheaper wiring harness, since they have to put connectors on two ends instead of just one. AESTHETICS rules everything around me.)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
one last thing before I commit to dropping $1,000+: does anyone have a recommendation for a good monitor? Ideally 1920x1080, and under $200.

Ordinarily I'd go shop around at the store itself for this, but there's a plague going on, and I wouldn't want to go outside even if the stores were open.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

demostars posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($93.05 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($100.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 580 8 GB GT Video Card ($229.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H18 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($69.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($70.47 @ Amazon Canada)
Case Fan: ARCTIC ACFAN00133A 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan ($9.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Case Fan: ARCTIC ACFAN00133A 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan ($9.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $984.45
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-20 18:16 EDT-0400

You could get a used RX 580 too, which would save you a decent chunk of change and let you save up for a new Ampere or RDNA2 card. I'd also pick up an internal speaker for the motherboard for POST codes. It most likely will come updated by now!

This is super late but I went with the choices here. Thanks a lot!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Blaziken386 posted:

one last thing before I commit to dropping $1,000+: does anyone have a recommendation for a good monitor? Ideally 1920x1080, and under $200.

Ordinarily I'd go shop around at the store itself for this, but there's a plague going on, and I wouldn't want to go outside even if the stores were open.

Sorry I missed your final questions! I'd ask over the monitor thread as they tend to have a better handle on what's available now.

I also don't know any good building guides off the top of my head, but that's definitely something I should find. Keep an eye out and ask again if none get posted - I'll try to see if I can find something good tomorrow.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I'm about ready to buy I think, anything I'm missing or might not be the best choice that anyone can see before I actually go and buy it all?

Sorry for all the Chinese, I put everything into pc part picker but it may not be exactly accurate, I wouldn't be surprised if there are some differences between parts on the market in China and their US counterparts.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sb7jgJ
Also, pc part picker didn't have my case.

In the screenshot you cant see it but it was a bundle where you could choose between different cpus to go with that mobo. I chose the ASRock x570 taichi with a Ryzen 7 3700x,

2x8gb sticks of 3600mhz ddr4 (I figured, the mobo has 4 dimm slots, I just wanna get this up and running. Come next month or so I'll buy another 16gb stick)

Samsung pm981 m2 512gb ssd, not exactly sure on this ssd, it seems weird. But I figured, I got this laptop that I plan on getting fixed eventually, when it broke I borrowed the SSD from it and transplanted it into the laptop I'm on now. If I need to, I'll buy a new SSD for this pc later and use the pm981 in the laptop when I get it fixed.

No hdd yet, I got hdds coming out the rear end. I'll buy one for this machine later I guess, probably that 2tb Seagate one I crossed out.

msi RTX 2070 super ventus oc, I think that's right? pc part picker had it listed but no price, dunno what that's about.

rog strix 650w psu. I am not entirely sure about this either. I picked 650w because pc part picker said I need 374w, but I wanted some overhead. Also because I trust asus not to sell a psu that burns my apartment down. That literally happened at a college dorm here maybe 6 months back and the whole dorm was toast. So, I didn't wanna trust some Chinese brand.

The case, I dunno it's just a case. I didn't pick anything expensive, it's ATX so I don't see it being a problem.

I'll get a good monitor later, I have some already so no need for that right now. I also got keyboard and mouse taken care of for now.

Anything I'm missing? Anything that might be a dumb choice for one reason or another? The grand total is 11,072 Chinese RMB or, $1,563.71. If that's too expensive for what I'm getting I can shop around, but it might just be a disparity in how much hardware costs in China vs America.

Edit: Also, I don't need cooling for now with the Ryzen 7, right? It comes with adequate cooling?

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Apr 24, 2020

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
In light of the Coronavirus pandemic possibly screwing with exchanges rates and deliveries in the near future, I've decided I should probably get to constructing my new PC sooner than later.

I'm planning for an OC-capable build. Bare in mind this list is roughly three months old now, aside from a couple of updates for things no longer on the market, and there may or may not be extra fan purchases:

quote:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($429.00 @ Canada Computers)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($114.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 1g 1 g Thermal Paste ($9.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($258.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($244.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($319.37 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Western Digital RE4 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($139.76 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: Aerocool Mechatron-Black Steel Edition ATX Mid Tower Case ($151.49 @ eBay Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($197.87 @ Amazon Canada)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-16D1HT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($107.75 @ Vuugo)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Full - USB 32/64-bit ($204.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Speakers: Logitech Z213 7 W 2.1 Channel Speakers ($43.99 @ Newegg Canada Marketplace)
Custom: 5.25 USB 3.0 SATA All in 1 Front Panel Multi Card Reader HUB PCI-E PCIE ($37.99 @ Newegg Canada Marketplace)
Total: $2260.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-24 07:11 EDT-04000

Are there any marked changes or better deals I need to know about before pulling the trigger? Other than hitting up SAmart for a Windows 10 key, of course.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Apr 24, 2020

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SL the Pyro posted:

In light of the Coronavirus pandemic possibly screwing with exchanges rates and deliveries in the near future, I've decided I should probably get to constructing my new PC sooner than later.

I'm planning for an OC-capable build. Bare in mind this list is roughly three months old now, aside from a couple of updates for things no longer on the market, and there may or may not be extra fan purchases:

Are there any marked changes or better deals I need to know about before pulling the trigger? Other than hitting up SAmart for a Windows 10 key, of course.

That 970 Evo at CAD320 is insanely overpriced for a consumer 500GB NVMe SSD, for the love of god please do not get that when CA Partpicker puts the SX8200 Pro 2TB at CAD350.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Thank you for the help in this thread. I can follow a 12-yo on YT instructing me on how to put together a PC, but I am an idiot when it comes to picking compatible parts or recognizing the differences like you guys just helped me with. Thanks!

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

teagone posted:

So, turns out my motherboard had a bunch of OC presets and a convenient feature to reset the RAM timings to default 2133MHz after a set number of failed reboots, removing the need to clear the CMOS. I tried a bunch of different RAM timings, ranging from CAS 18 at 3066MHz, CAS 18 3200MHz, etc., but nothing would work. I also noticed the 2933 XMP profile would only sometimes boot, which was annoying. In the end, I just said screw it and am running just 2x8GB sticks at 3200MHz. Not sure my Plex server even needs the extra 16GB of RAM anyways, heh.

One thing you can do with Plex if you do have plenty of RAM is use it as your transcode drive. I just did this in my Unraid server to save the life on my SSD Cache disk and it's been great, still never gets over 70% RAM usage.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Klyith posted:

remove the 2nd ssd from the bracket, plug the power and sata cables into it, let it just sit loose on top of the other one, vaguely held in place with the cable connection

remember you have a floppy drive in there if you need to transport your case anywhere

(pretty much every reasonably-priced PSU has sata cables like that, because they're way cheaper than terminated-wire ones that will sit flat next to each other in the way you want. blame the obsession with modular everything that drives a cheaper wiring harness, since they have to put connectors on two ends instead of just one. AESTHETICS rules everything around me.)

Ok. As long as that's acceptable. I know it's solid state but the old fear of read/write head collisions is deep enough that I even treat SSDs like they're made of glass.

The SSD has four screws. Two at the front and two at the back. To get some stability could I use the two at the front and then tilt the SSD clear?

Comedy firestarter option: I found a Molex to SATA adapter in my old bag o' parts. It has the straight connectors so I guess I should use that!

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Blaziken386 posted:

What size? What features?

Travic posted:

Ok. As long as that's acceptable. I know it's solid state but the old fear of read/write head collisions is deep enough that I even treat SSDs like they're made of glass.

The SSD has four screws. Two at the front and two at the back. To get some stability could I use the two at the front and then tilt the SSD clear?

Comedy firestarter option: I found a Molex to SATA adapter in my old bag o' parts. It has the straight connectors so I guess I should use that!
You can literally leave them (ssds) hanging by the cables if you are desperate, dont move your case around very much*, and can handle the poor aesthetics.

(* Moving the case wont hurt the ssd at all, but you dont want it banging against other things if you have some kind of vaudevillian PC juggling show.)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Blaziken386 posted:

1080p60 monitors are basically commodity items. They all cost around or slightly over $100, just make sure you get an IPS.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

BrainDance posted:

I'm about ready to buy I think, anything I'm missing or might not be the best choice that anyone can see before I actually go and buy it all?

Sorry for all the Chinese, I put everything into pc part picker but it may not be exactly accurate, I wouldn't be surprised if there are some differences between parts on the market in China and their US counterparts.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sb7jgJ
Also, pc part picker didn't have my case.

In the screenshot you cant see it but it was a bundle where you could choose between different cpus to go with that mobo. I chose the ASRock x570 taichi with a Ryzen 7 3700x,

2x8gb sticks of 3600mhz ddr4 (I figured, the mobo has 4 dimm slots, I just wanna get this up and running. Come next month or so I'll buy another 16gb stick)

Samsung pm981 m2 512gb ssd, not exactly sure on this ssd, it seems weird. But I figured, I got this laptop that I plan on getting fixed eventually, when it broke I borrowed the SSD from it and transplanted it into the laptop I'm on now. If I need to, I'll buy a new SSD for this pc later and use the pm981 in the laptop when I get it fixed.

No hdd yet, I got hdds coming out the rear end. I'll buy one for this machine later I guess, probably that 2tb Seagate one I crossed out.

msi RTX 2070 super ventus oc, I think that's right? pc part picker had it listed but no price, dunno what that's about.

rog strix 650w psu. I am not entirely sure about this either. I picked 650w because pc part picker said I need 374w, but I wanted some overhead. Also because I trust asus not to sell a psu that burns my apartment down. That literally happened at a college dorm here maybe 6 months back and the whole dorm was toast. So, I didn't wanna trust some Chinese brand.

The case, I dunno it's just a case. I didn't pick anything expensive, it's ATX so I don't see it being a problem.

I'll get a good monitor later, I have some already so no need for that right now. I also got keyboard and mouse taken care of for now.

Anything I'm missing? Anything that might be a dumb choice for one reason or another? The grand total is 11,072 Chinese RMB or, $1,563.71. If that's too expensive for what I'm getting I can shop around, but it might just be a disparity in how much hardware costs in China vs America.

Edit: Also, I don't need cooling for now with the Ryzen 7, right? It comes with adequate cooling?

What website are you using and what's the other options for mobo? I can navigate Chinese enough to see if there's some of the thread favorites/standard recs on offer for comparable prices if you like.

3700X is more than enough for gaming and general stuff, and the cooler it comes with is fine; if it's too loud for you or you want to overclock in the future you can get a bigger cooler then.

You don't really need more than 16GB of ram for most things so you don't need to be in a rush to get more. You also may want to check that RAM on whatever MOBO you choose's compatibility list. Generally most everything should work but it's not bad to check.

nerox
May 20, 2001

FRINGE posted:

You can literally leave them (ssds) hanging by the cables if you are desperate, dont move your case around very much*, and can handle the poor aesthetics.

(* Moving the case wont hurt the ssd at all, but you dont want it banging against other things if you have some kind of vaudevillian PC juggling show.)

I've left SSDs hanging and I have also used double-sided tape to stick them to the side of the case somewhere. SSDs just don't care.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

LimburgLimbo posted:

What website are you using and what's the other options for mobo? I can navigate Chinese enough to see if there's some of the thread favorites/standard recs on offer for comparable prices if you like.

3700X is more than enough for gaming and general stuff, and the cooler it comes with is fine; if it's too loud for you or you want to overclock in the future you can get a bigger cooler then.

You don't really need more than 16GB of ram for most things so you don't need to be in a rush to get more. You also may want to check that RAM on whatever MOBO you choose's compatibility list. Generally most everything should work but it's not bad to check.

It's 上海老牛电脑 on taobao. I am not completely tied to them or anything, I just went with them because they had the Mobo+cpu combo I wanted, and then I sorta built it up from the parts they had for sale, that way it all comes at once. Nothing sucks more than getting everything for a new PC except the GPU which is mysteriously a day or two behind in shipping, you know?

There were plenty of other mobo +CPU combos, but I'm so unfamiliar with newer AMD hardware I didn't really know much besides that I wanted 4 dimm slots, USB C, and X570, I googled mobos for the 3700x and the taichi looked like it was a good one in my price range. There were cheaper 2070 supers throughout taobao, but I wanted to go with a brand like MSI or Asus since I at least know them and have had good experience with them before. Since it's taobao I didn't wanna risk getting some weird 10 year old gpu rebranded as a 2070 super or anything.

The ram, yeah I'll check that out. I don't actually know the brand, just that Google told me to get 3600mhz ram for the 3700x.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 24, 2020

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

BrainDance posted:

It's 上海老牛电脑 on taobao. I am not completely tied to them or anything, I just went with them because they had the Mobo+cpu combo I wanted, and then I sorta built it up from the parts they had for sale, that way it all comes at once. Nothing sucks more than getting everything for a new PC except the GPU which is mysteriously a day or two behind in shipping, you know?

There were plenty of other mobo +CPU combos, but I'm so unfamiliar with newer AMD hardware I didn't really know much besides that I wanted 4 dimm slots, USB C, and X570, I googled mobos for the 3700x and the taichi looked like it was a good one in my price range. There were cheaper 2070 supers throughout taobao, but I wanted to go with a brand like MSI or Asus since I at least know them and have had good experience with them before. Since it's taobao I didn't wanna risk getting some weird 10 year old gpu rebranded as a 2070 super or anything.

The ram, yeah I'll check that out. I don't actually know the brand, just that Google told me to get 3600mhz ram for the 3700x.

Well it's asking me to log in to see stuff on their site which I'm not going to bother with, but but glancing at the page I can see it looks like prices aren't way off so in general:
PSU - ROG Strix is indeed supposedly a solid PSU (as per LTT tier list at least) but it's apparently manufactured by Seasonic and noted as a bit expensive; might want to check versus the similar offerings from Seasonic (海韻) and Corsair (海盜船) which are generally the thread go-tos.
MOBO - Taichi seems noted for being good for overclocking but if you don't intend to do that right now you can probably go cheaper; looks like it's around ~300 USD from your price? A cheaper board would do you just as well unless you're looking for some specific features on that one. One thread recommendation is the Aorus Elite/Wifi which also meets your requirements (X570, front USB-C. Basically any ATX board these days has 4 RAM slots insofar as I'm aware) which is ~100 USD cheaper than the Taichi usually. Make sure your case has a front USB-C port if you're looking for one specifically.
RAM - Also re: ram, if you're looking at the same things I saw when I googled, they mention 3600, but the 3600 you've got there is CL19 which is on the slower side; overall not something to sweat, but if you can get a better combo of speed and timing for the same price you might want to go for it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Blaziken386 posted:

I recently got a Acer Nitro VG240Y Pbiip and it's great, if you're good with a 24" monitor. 200 bucks when I got it.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
About this line in the OP: "Intel systems are less sensitive to RAM speed but still benefit from RAM in the 3000 to 3600 range."
Is this in general or only for overclocking? Because looking at the i9 9900k, i7 9700k or i5 9600k they only list support for DDR4-2666.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I'm looking to upgrade from my current 10 year old setup since I might actually want to play some more recent games. I don't actually know anything about pc parts outside of doing some research today so I've also been looking at some prebuilds.

Does the below prebuild look acceptable? I've been reading various forums and comparing based on some builds on logicalincrements and it seems to be a decent deal but if there's anything that stands out I'd love to hear it. I don't hate the idea of building it myself but if I can get it prebuilt for basically the same price I'll go with the convenient option.

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Black
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER DUAL EVO Advanced
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X + AMD Wraith Spire
RAM:HyperX Fury RGB DDR4 2666MHz 16GB
Storage: Kingston A2000 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B450-F GAMING, Socket-AM4
Power supply:Corsair TX550M, 550W PSU

for just under 1200$. I live in Sweden so parts are probably a bit more expensive here than in the US. I have a 1 TB hdd in my current PC and a 256 gb ssd that I can move.

Edit: I'd prefer to keep things in this price range. The most demanding thing I'll be doing is gaming on one monitor and watching a stream on the second.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 24, 2020