Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

i'm just using a pile of chariots which seem way more effective than i would have thought

in Autoresolve or manually? I can never use Chariots well manually, they just don't click with me. I think it's because I don't micro them around enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Tomb Kings made chariots fun after all the launch players were traumatized by Surtha Ek stacks

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I tried searching through the thread and on google, but my google-fu is off today and I cant find it - anyone have a link to the gif of the ME Turn Time Speed Enhancements with the faction shields flying by?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Mazz posted:

in Autoresolve or manually? I can never use Chariots well manually, they just don't click with me. I think it's because I don't micro them around enough.

Manual. I'm just using them as I would heavy cavalry, it's working fine for me.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Yeah in my experience skeleton chariots are the majority of my killing power in the first 40ish turns of a typical Tomb Kings campaign. They really perform well and you don't care if they get wrecked in battle, you can just summon more. I think it's embracing the idea of "welp, who cares if any of you last the battle, just kill whatever you can" and plowing them into the back of engaged units / chasing off ranged units so your archers have an advantage.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah i dunno if it's because they're the first i ever played but the skellies rule and are my favorite so far by far

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sfo_unit_quality.jpg

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

i'm still trying to understand how this was a close victory

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure exactly of the calculations but broadly you're deploying with a bunch of quality units vs mostly crap and you took a bunch of damage in the process.

The thing isn't stupid, it generally knows when you're cheesing the poo poo out of a fight by playing perfectly and taking damage where it's inconsquential.

It's less a "close" victory and more a "not very impressive" victory.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yeah apparently it counts total damage and not just losses taken (I'm looking at Settra being at a pixel of health left), and if any of your units that have ranged attacks use a lot of ammo it counts that against you for some reason. I guess maybe because ammo aint free or something silly?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah apparently it counts total damage and not just losses taken (I'm looking at Settra being at a pixel of health left), and if any of your units that have ranged attacks use a lot of ammo it counts that against you for some reason. I guess maybe because ammo aint free or something silly?

I think the logic is that the more ammo you used, the "closer" the battle was.

If you've no ammo left, it must have been a close fight, even if they got 1 kill in a thousand

tithin fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 24, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I had to fight Skaven not too long ago and these stupid assholes didn’t just flood the place with rats and instead had mostly artillery and it made me realize I actually do not like fighting Skaven.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Last night I won a 10% fight and the game called it a pyrrhic victory so I also don't trust the rating system.

I also learned in a different fight that when you have three full armies assaulting a city you don't actually get to use all 60 units which resulted in way more losses than I wanted because my other two caskets of souls never joined the fight.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The way it generally goes is close/decisive/heroic is meh/cool/holy poo poo levels of achievement while pyrrhic is like, oh poo poo you won but that army's super hosed up though.

The ammo thing also makes sense following that logic because the only way you can use shitloads of ammo is if you can keep the enemy away from you, and if you can do that then it presumably wasn't a very difficult fight, either because they literally can't catch you or because you massive outclass them in troop quality.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 24, 2020

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
At least the rating don't have any gameplay effect, unlike Shogun 2.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I think it does affect XP gain

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

StashAugustine posted:

It also gives you bonus chivalry if you're Bret.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Which also ties in well with the idea that shooting people to death while holding them at arm's length isn't very chivalrous :v:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

StashAugustine posted:

It does? Never noticed, then I stand corrected.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

OwlFancier posted:

Which also ties in well with the idea that shooting people to death while holding them at arm's length isn't very chivalrous :v:

sounds like I can never play Brettonia then since I'm having way too much fun doing that with Khalida

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The lovely thing is if you really gently caress up your first battle and get a Pyrrhic victory it doesn't get you a level up.

Also question: if you have several cities and not the capital, can you predict where a rebellion will happen?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

StashAugustine posted:

The lovely thing is if you really gently caress up your first battle and get a Pyrrhic victory it doesn't get you a level up.

Also question: if you have several cities and not the capital, can you predict where a rebellion will happen?

clicking the notification that tells me a rebellion is imminent seems to always zoom to the city it will spawn from

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

clicking the notification that tells me a rebellion is imminent seems to always zoom to the city it will spawn from

:monocle:

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

jokes posted:

I had to fight Skaven not too long ago and these stupid assholes didn’t just flood the place with rats and instead had mostly artillery and it made me realize I actually do not like fighting Skaven.

I wrapped up a Repanse campaign recently and one of my armies got attacked by two stacks of Skaven, mostly trash units.
'Outnumbered three to one? No problem!', I thought. 'My knights will obliterate these skavenslaves'.
Turned out those hordes of skavenslaves spears just bogged down my cav, negating any charge bonus and swarms of slingers plinked my other units to death. Throw in some warp lightning every 20 seconds or so and another unit of knights gets defeated.
It was a humiliating defeat :negative:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

sounds like I can never play Brettonia then since I'm having way too much fun doing that with Khalida

Oh no you totally can and brettonia actually have pretty good archers, but they're designed around running people over with horses and their whole gimmick revolves around doing things the difficult way because it's chivalrous.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Grumio posted:

I wrapped up a Repanse campaign recently and one of my armies got attacked by two stacks of Skaven, mostly trash units.
'Outnumbered three to one? No problem!', I thought. 'My knights will obliterate these skavenslaves'.
Turned out those hordes of skavenslaves spears just bogged down my cav, negating any charge bonus and swarms of slingers plinked my other units to death. Throw in some warp lightning every 20 seconds or so and another unit of knights gets defeated.

If it's a repanse army why didn't you have Grail fanatics and foot knights to chop down those rats?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Getting Settra to a 200 charge bonus felt like almost as important as actually winning his campaign itself.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

StashAugustine posted:

My understanding is that it will always come from the first city you took in the province.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah that seems like it. Relatedly in not sure that trying to take Morathi's province as Alith Anar right at the start was a good idea

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's a great idea, lots of tasty money in that province and also she's not furiously wanking chaos into your territory.

Close off the southern front as soon as possible and push north.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Rushing her home province from turn one is risky but everything around it to the east is perfect breadbasket provinces.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah that seems like it. Relatedly in not sure that trying to take Morathi's province as Alith Anar right at the start was a good idea
On ME? Yeah if I ever play him on ME again I am totally taking The Ancient City of Quintex ASAP.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fundamentally if you don't take it right off the bat you're gonna have to sit there for like 20 turns doing bugger all and then take it, or you're gonna have to double back and take it later, or she's gonna backstab you and you have to spend ages sorting that poo poo out. Or even worse, some high elves might come and take the province. And the only thing worse than a dark elf who shits chaos is a high elf with holdings on ulthuan as well.

Morathi (in ME) is problem numero uno to solve for alith anar because you can just say hi to mazdamundi and maybe trade all the poo poo you just took off morathi with him and he'll happily sit in the jungle and protect your southern border.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah I sniped the unwalled cities which was a huge loving mistake because they all revolted instantly. I ended up trading capitals and now iv e got her back to the wall but it slowed me down bigtime

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Grumio posted:

Yeah I hate fighting the skaven these days. I fought some lovely clan Skyre army full of chaff and still took massive losses because the enemy commander had a rat nuke ability that instantly deleted 1/3 of my army. RIP 3 gold chevron handgunner unit. Also their rat spawns constantly loving with my archers and artillery is really annoying

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You will probably have to fight a revolt there because of the corruption but that's a way to get the public order back up.

Rebellions aren't necessarily bad, if anything it's a good idea to push them to happen as fast as possible sometimes because you can trigger one, have it eat all the unrest, then crush it for the crackdown bonus and move your army on faster (and with extra money and XP in the bank from the victory)

The trick with factions that have corruption is more that you really want to stamp them out all at once and as fast as possible because otherwise you'll need a constant military presence to keep the revolts down.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

babypolis posted:

Yeah I hate fighting the skaven these days. I fought some lovely clan Skyre army full of chaff and still took massive losses because the enemy commander had a rat nuke ability that instantly deleted 1/3 of my army. RIP 3 gold chevron handgunner unit. Also their rat spawns constantly loving with my archers and artillery is really annoying
AI Skryre only has one nuke and will not build more. The first time you fight a field battle against them, they drop the big nuke. Autoresolve doesnt count.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My Alith Anar is now running around with a loremaster of Hoeth, six swordmasters and the rest are shadow walkers.
With the "Recruit defeated Legendary Lords" mod Tyrion and Teclis are terrifying since they get the ambush attack stance. Dropping Tyrion with a bunch of dragon princes on an ambushed enemy army is devastating.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

So can I get some advice on how to play as the huntsman in vortex? I'm on turn 80, and feel like Im starting a slow spiral downwards. In a hellwar with Lizardmen above me and below me, Teclis coming from the west, and my back to the coast. Somehow, the Skaven have become my only friend, and I can barely afford to be running two armies and rely on the unique paladin assaulting every army to weaken them up. Not sure what compositions I should be running, or if I should have avoided trying to expand much (I only have about 5 cities, but that may be 2 too many).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

I also learned in a different fight that when you have three full armies assaulting a city you don't actually get to use all 60 units which resulted in way more losses than I wanted because my other two caskets of souls never joined the fight.

This is because you are capped at (i think) 40 unit cards under your control. So those skeleton spearmen with 4 brave dudes left should preferably either retreat or get wiped out for you to get a reinforcement unit on the map.