Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Torque is a godless killing machine and now has 100% dodge.

Yeah that upgrade choice. "Do I want my soldier with an innate 20 dodge get another 30 dodge, bringing it up to 50 innate dodge...100 if I have a dodge armor on her? OR do I want her to choke a bitch faster?" Now granted choking a bit faster is good, having every single basic attack be reduced to grazing is just too good to pass up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Caidin posted:

So how does snek kick door anyway?
I posted a video showing how earlier.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm definitely a fan of this shaken up formula and have no real complaints so far. i get why people might prefer the original system but since this is just an offshoot game and not a main entry I don't think the detractors really have a leg to stand on for complaining about it.

But I think one thing everybody can agree on is the world building in this game is on loving point, everything is so charming. I love the dialogue between squadmates when you come back from missions.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Stormgale posted:

How did you get a muton, are the recruitment options random? I basically had 2 recruitment cycles before that mission and just enough time to get upgraded AR and upgraded SMG.

Restart without the tutorial and you'll be able to pick your first four from the entire pool, that's how you assemble punch team!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Yeah that upgrade choice. "Do I want my soldier with an innate 20 dodge get another 30 dodge, bringing it up to 50 innate dodge...100 if I have a dodge armor on her? OR do I want her to choke a bitch faster?" Now granted choking a bit faster is good, having every single basic attack be reduced to grazing is just too good to pass up.

When you get to rank 3 with snek you can have her train for 3 days to get +1 mobility, +20 dodge.

It will take you up to 90 with the armor but no perk or 70 with the perk but no armor. IMO 90 is pretty good and also I choke a bitch faster.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Restart without the tutorial and you'll be able to pick your first four from the entire pool, that's how you assemble punch team!

I normally do the first xcom run iwth a tutorial just in case there is a fun cutscene or dialogue or w/e that I might otherwise miss out on but always turn it off immediately after. It seems like being able to construct your own 4 people from the pool is jus ttoo drat good in this case.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Hunt11 posted:

Accidentally did the mission to wipe out the ex advent people too soon and all I can do is scream at some of the things they throw at you.

I'm literally doing it now and i'm scraping through it. Definitely should have held off, goddamn what the fuuuuuck. I'm lucky i've got cherub here tanking hits constantly with kinetic shield, he must have survived over 50 damage this fight.

e: Ok he's easily at 70+ taken now jesus christ give this man a medal

dogstile fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 24, 2020

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Motherfucker posted:

Yeah its almost like the entire game is a middle finger to the creepy fash tumor of players who were attracted to the 'humanity oorah!!' aspects of Xcom.

Its almost like they should all go gently caress themselves to death or something!!

yes those people who want to kill fictional aliens in a video game all deserve death

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Alkydere posted:

5 damage per turn on the wrap is huge though, it lets you insta-kill all basic troops and Androids.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

"this game is easy on normal I should've bumped it up" ---> dies to an encounter

YEP this is xcom it's just easier to start out, I love it so much aaa

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

SpookyLizard posted:

yes those people who want to kill fictional aliens in a video game all deserve death

Yeah I'm sure a game about gunning down creatures framed as subhumans could never attract dipshits oh wait I'm talking to one right now.

Stormgale posted:

How did you get a muton, are the recruitment options random? I basically had 2 recruitment cycles before that mission and just enough time to get upgraded AR and upgraded SMG.

I guess it might be, I picked him up on my first recruitment cycle. Although I think just judging by my first run at it that there's a few options in some discreet 'categories' so you probably have a door-kicker, damage absorbing, brute type available somewhere.

Alkydere posted:

I picked choke a bitch faster because I am a dumb person whose eyes went crosseyed from seeing numbers and now I feel silly.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 24, 2020

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Dropped out of this thread to avoid spoilers, but I need to vent about this; the aliens having normal human voices sucks. I don't care how much human DNA they have, its just lame. A sectoid shouldn't be talking like a normal human being.

That's my only complaint so far though (though all i did was the tutorial). I squealed like a little girl at the baby muton in the meuseum concept art :3:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
If you'd like to discuss the sociopolitical impacts of a game with a racist tittysnake I'm sure Dunning & Kruger would love to have you but let's kindly keep the games thread on the game please.

e: To be clear, posting the exchanges is fine. Commentary on it is fine. Jokes about it are fine. Memes about it are fine.

It stops being fine when you start bringing in supposed effects on the fabric of society like you're Jack Thompson talking about how Doom caused Columbine or some similar nonsense. D&D is where people actually want to engage with that rigamarole.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 24, 2020

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Dammit give me a console version. MY poo poo laptop is indeed too poo poo to play it, and I ain't dropping $800 CDN to get a better one. I got a honeymoon and other expenses.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

So Chimera Squad sucks because unlike XCOM EU/EW and XCOM 2 is loads fast enough and has short missions that I think "oh one more mission it'll only be 5-10 minutes then I'll stop" and then two hours go by and oh god i was going to work on my XCOM 2 campaign or have fun in AssCreed but nooo I'm still playing XCOPS

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Dropped out of this thread to avoid spoilers, but I need to vent about this; the aliens having normal human voices sucks. I don't care how much human DNA they have, its just lame. A sectoid shouldn't be talking like a normal human being.

Yeah you can tell they basically used the soldier voice actors from the previous games. The whole games assembled basically from whats on hand and it shows in a lot of places.

Coolguye posted:

If you'd like to discuss the sociopolitical impacts of a game with a racist tittysnake I'm sure Dunning & Kruger would love to have you but let's kindly keep the games thread on the game please.

its the last thing I wanna do but its amazing how many people are struck stupid by the very idea that racist weirdos play video games and have stupid video game opinions.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I am super annoyed that Submachine guns and rifles are separate weapon types. They have the same stats and look the same on the loadout screen, I can't remember who uses what to pick which one to upgrade ugh.

For posterity

Pistols- Cherub, Blueblood
Shotguns- Axiom, Godmother, Claymore
SMG- Torque, Shelter, Terminal
Rifle- Android, Patchwork, Verge
N/A- Zephyr

Zore fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 24, 2020

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Motherfucker posted:

its the last thing I wanna do but its amazing how many people are struck stupid by the very idea that racist weirdos play video games and have stupid video game opinions.
Let me be more clear about that post since you're intent on sloughing off your part in this: You, specifically, shut the hell up. Go post in D&D with that junk.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

The Skeep posted:

It's Canon, Cherub and Verge have a dialog about Verge mindlinking with cherub so he can get to taste a philly Cheesesteak.

I just got this, its great.

How's claymore once you put some levels on him?

Finally lucked into a good special pistol in the store! only to find out that stocks don't work on lightning hands. RIP hundreds of intel, you will be sorely missed.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Coolguye posted:

Let me be more clear about that post since you're intent on sloughing off your part in this: You, specifically, shut the hell up. Go post in D&D with that junk.

Hmm, No. gently caress you.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Is anyone delaying some of these missions stories because they ramp up the difficulty so quickly? Or maybe I just suck now? I finished WotC on the 2nd hardest difficulty Ironman but the 3rd mission story for any of the 3 factions is kicking my rear end. The enemies' health, numbers, and armour scale up so quickly before I have even finished a single weapon upgrade to enhanced.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

what is Cherub for, I mean he has a shield but he isn't specifically very tanky... or good at shooting... or really much of anything?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

what is Cherub for, I mean he has a shield but he isn't specifically very tanky... or good at shooting... or really much of anything?

He has a 1/turn ability that makes anyone immune to the next attack that hits them and lasts till destroyed. It also doesn't end turn and when broken gives his melee attack a damage buff and makes it AoE

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Are there enough new mechanics from xcom2 that it's worth doing the tutorial once at least? And/or does it start you off in a worse place than you could be on your own like xcom1 does? (And 2 for that matter)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Are there enough new mechanics from xcom2 that it's worth doing the tutorial once at least? And/or does it start you off in a worse place than you could be on your own like xcom1 does? (And 2 for that matter)

Yes, there are enough new mechanics that the tutorial will teach you that I'd say it's worth it.

Also it leaves you off better than in XCOM1 or 2 since you get a free mission and a small amount of bonus resources. The only downside is you don't pick your 4 starter agents

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Zore posted:

He has a 1/turn ability that makes anyone immune to the next attack that hits them and lasts till destroyed. It also doesn't end turn and when broken gives his melee attack a damage buff and makes it AoE

When you phrase it this way it sounds good, I guess I got brain-trapped into thinking he was supposed to use it on himself and than roll out to fight but it seems like it'd be more useful as a support like a less useful terminal.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Motherfucker posted:

Hmm, No. gently caress you.

Nobody cares about your dumb manufactured bullshit. Nobody on this forum is talking about subhumans, if you wanna argue about it go to whatever forum you've found that is talking about it and be broke brained over there.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Zore posted:

Yes, there are enough new mechanics that the tutorial will teach you that I'd say it's worth it.

Also it leaves you off better than in XCOM1 or 2 since you get a free mission and a small amount of bonus resources. The only downside is you don't pick your 4 starter agents

I mean, if those agents survive. The mission you do to reactivate the Avenger is actually harder than any other mission you're going to do in the first month at least.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

dogstile posted:

Nobody cares about your dumb manufactured bullshit. Nobody on this forum is talking about subhumans, if you wanna argue about it go to whatever forum you've found that is talking about it and be broke brained over there.

you're taking an idle observation pretty weirdly, if you didn't give a poo poo you wouldn't have gotten so loving angry nerd.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

When you phrase it this way it sounds good, I guess I got brain-trapped into thinking he was supposed to use it on himself and than roll out to fight but it seems like it'd be more useful as a support like a less useful terminal.

Its overall more useful if you aren't being reactive and you can set up some absolutely galaxy brained plays with it, like shielding people then exploding something near them. If you're pro-active with him you can avoid taking almost any damage.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Motherfucker posted:

I mean it's not a bad idea to use it on himself but it's great for covering anyone who's out of position or in low health, or about to eat a grenade. His Phalanx ability is also great: all of those "Aggressive" enemies during the breach that are gonna shoot your team? He taunts them all, they shoot his shield for no damage and he gets Free charge to go gently caress someone up his next turn.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

dogstile posted:

Motherfucker is like this in literally every thread I have ever seen him post in, though this is the fastest I've ever seen him get to his "I'm obviously a bad actor here for the negative attention" phase, possibly because I called him out individually and wasn't having the "it's not my fault" act.

It's best to pretend he doesn't exist because the negative attention is literally what he's here for, above everything else.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Zore posted:

Its overall more useful if you aren't being reactive and you can set up some absolutely galaxy brained plays with it, like shielding people then exploding something near them. If you're pro-active with him you can avoid taking almost any damage.

Alkydere posted:

I mean it's not a bad idea to use it on himself but it's great for covering anyone who's out of position or in low health, or about to eat a grenade. His Phalanx ability is also great: all of those "Aggressive" enemies during the breach that are gonna shoot your team? He taunts them all, they shoot his shield for no damage and he gets Free charge to go gently caress someone up his next turn.

Hmmm, he sounds like he'd be more useful to me on a less static party, I was pairing him up with snake lady and the sectoid and the muton so he was only really pairing well with the mobile obvious target muton but I could see him going really well with Zephyr as well and whoever gets run and gun.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Coolguye posted:

I mean, if those agents survive. The mission you do to reactivate the Avenger is actually harder than any other mission you're going to do in the first month at least.

Uh what?

The Chimera squad tutorial is a single mission that just introduces the mechanics then dumps you into the intro cutecene you get if you skip it. I definitely did not see the Avenger?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Zore posted:

Uh what?

The Chimera squad tutorial is a single mission that just introduces the mechanics then dumps you into the intro cutecene you get if you skip it. I definitely did not see the Avenger?

Sorry, I was referring to XCOM 2. I got confused due to the guy you were quoting.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

gently caress ronins holy fucccccckk

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Hunt11 posted:

Accidentally did the mission to wipe out the ex advent people too soon and all I can do is scream at some of the things they throw at you.

Yeahhhhh, I did the first two encounters pretty easily, went into the last bit with a full squad with full health. Room has an andromedon and bunch of other poo poo. I make it through two rounds and the reinforcements have another andromedon. I figured I should do the objective because obviously that'll do some damage to everything in the room or something.....a gatekeeper spawns and there are two more objectives. Yeah I think I'll just go and do some other missions. That seems loving insane. I assume clearing out an enemy faction resets anarchy or something or I'll be hosed in that regard.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

I assume clearing out an enemy faction resets anarchy or something or I'll be hosed in that regard.

it absolutely does... not.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Zore posted:

Uh what?

Xcom: EU and xcom2 both have tutorials that leave you worse off than just jumping in. I just wanted to know if chimera squad did too.

E: beaten. At least it sounds like it doesn't.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Motherfucker posted:

it absolutely does... not.

gently caress.... does it reduce it a little at least? I'm at 6 of 14 right now and I cannot do that mission at the point I'm at. I'm not in full crisis mode yet and I guess there are the spec ops you can do that reduce it by 3 as well but that feels pretty brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I'm really not feeling anarchy in general. It feels like a holdover from the newer xcom games where the ticking clock of death was an important part of the strategic over layer but with a more limited set of options right now it just feels like its meant to punish you for picking the wrong card out of the three you're given each day. Any time you're not working picking whichever lowers heat you're shooting yourself in the foot.