Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Onmi posted:

Really? I've seen Max mostly keep to a single build and he's been trucking fine into Chapter 7. Where you at?

If you're talking Maximillian Dood's current playthrough, he's mentioned multiple times he's playing Normal mode right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
They did pull out all the stops for 7R but I really don't feel that they're going to go as far as having the original's main Disc 1 storyline and also having a B-team plot with Zack and AVALANCHE back in Midgar going on in the meantime that you can switch to

but drat that would be cool if they did.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

DLC!

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
So, Hard:

The thing is, there's less flexibility here by default. I think you could make almost anything work for most fights if you're decent-to-really-good at the action aspects of the battle system, but if you aren't, you kinda have to accept that characters have things they are specifically good at, and you have less freedom than you do on Normal to just kinda do whatever you want. Cloud as a caster-first black mage type, for example, works just fine on Normal, and is borderline not viable on Hard? I'd have to play around with that build more.

You shouldn't have to play around with entirely rebuilding characters much. The builds I posted a few times earlier in the thread for dealing with the Bahamut 2 gauntlet also work on essentially everything else in the game, you'd just move Elemental from your armor to your weapon and change out what it's linked to, based on the weakness of upcoming enemies. Because there's actually a good amount of cool materia that isn't boring bunk like "have more HP/MP" or "blocking is now super good" it might be tempting to ignore the boring stuff, but the boring stuff wins. Cloud at 50 with a maxed-out Buster Sword, no accessory at all and a single 5* HP Up materia has over 8000 HP. That more than justifies the slot it will eat in your build.

Loosely, Elemental and Magnify should be on your characters all the time; First Strike, HP Up, MP Up, Magic Up, and Steadfast Block are all purple materia and therefore less cool, but are all extremely effective and should also probably be on your characters all the time; and if you're trying to progress through Hard (i.e. you're not powerful enough to just straight up breeze through it or you're doing end-game stuff), basically everyone should having Healing and Revival equipped.

You only have between 9 and 10 materia slots per character, so when it's all said and done it feels like there's not a ton of wiggle room? I guess? I'm sure people have done Hard without a setup that is exactly like this, but for instance Cloud: Buster Sword with Elemental - Weakness, HP Up, MP Up, First Strike, Steadfast Block; armor of choice with Healing and Revival; and whatever accessory you prefer. That leaves you with just 1-2 slots open to your discretion if you wanna essentially guarantee wins for most of Hard, at least in my experience, but this build also works for literally the whole game. All you should be swapping around, honestly, is the magic materia linked to Elemental.

Clarste posted:

I can't give specific advice for this but I skipped Tidal Wave just by hitting him without doing anything special? I dunno. I was using Cloud, Tifa, and Barret. Barret had lightning Elemental on his weapon.

I also killed Bahamut before Megaflare which is good since I didn't have a plan for it.

You killed Bahamut 2 before he did Megaflare? Or am I misinterpreting. If so, holy moley link your build, I came close once with the Götterdämmerung already equipped but I still didn't pull that off.

edit: I think it wouldn't be hard to do it if you just straight out ignore Ifrit, but that seems like you'd have to get lucky/he'd have to cooperate a little bit for that to work. If he just spams Plumes and Charges over and over it'd waste enough time to be annoying.

edit 2: or hell I guess you could just do some poo poo like Hard Edge/Feathered Gloves/Big Bertha with Cloud/Tifa/Barret and just all-in on killing him with zero attention paid to Ifrit and that would probably work, now I wanna go try doing this fight again without Götterdämmerung

edit 3: oh holy poo poo lol you can almost kill Bahamut 2 before he even summons Ifrit at all if you go super hard in the paint

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 24, 2020

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

I would argue it is the coolest weapon to ever come from Final Fantasy. (And probably one of the better weapons in the RPG genre as a whole.) "Oh you like swords? What if it was also a gun?"

One thing I wonder is if they'll tie the Whispers to the Weapons or something like that. Will it eventually be possible to connect those dots beyond "planet's defense mechanism"?

yup heres me playing ff8 and breaking the junction system to beat this game again.

i love ff8. crazy how i played this game before i was in the teens as a kid. I think i was 8 when i played it

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It suddenly occurred to me that the way things are going there's probably going to a be gauntlet where you fight KOTR and that sounds terrifying.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh god trying to get Beta as soon as it's available is awful. If only Enemy Skills were retained even when you run :negative:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Could be worse I somehow missed the first enemy skill materia you can get, for the first time ever in 20 or so play throughs of FF7. Next one is in Junon, meh.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Sakurazuka posted:

Could be worse I somehow missed the first enemy skill materia you can get, for the first time ever in 20 or so play throughs of FF7. Next one is in Junon, meh.

Oh was there important stuff in all those buildings I ran past while doing the parade lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I just realized why the music during the Whisper Harbinger fight feels so different from the music in the rest of the game: it sounds like it came right out of FFXIII. Which makes sense given that it's one of the only Masashi Hamauzu originals in the game, so he and the rest of the music team aren't adapting music from the original FF7. Everything about the instrumentation and structure feels almost exactly like the boss themes for the last couple fights in the original FFXIII.

Not a complaint, for what it's worth. Feel like that has to be mentioned in this thread any time we're comparing FF7R to a different game. I just thought it was interesting that the style of that composition could feel so specifically like another FF game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dreylad posted:

It suddenly occurred to me that the way things are going there's probably going to a be gauntlet where you fight KOTR and that sounds terrifying.

This was a boss fight in FFXIV and it owned (spoilers for end of the Heavensward expansion I guess): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cZHfOs2XOc

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

bewilderment posted:

There's a really cool plot in FF12 about how shadowy god-figures are attempting to prop up a princess thought dead and return her to glory as their puppet; opposed by a tyrannical empire that nonetheless is trying to depose the gods with the help of a rogue one as their efforts test the limits of the cease-fire with a neighbouring empire.

It just sucks that so little time in the game is spent actually dealing with this stuff! It sounds super cool!

edit: Now that I come to think of it there's some real parallels to be drawn between the Occuria and the Whispers, though the Occuria have more personality.

They also have one of the best written dialogues in any FF, or maybe RPG ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91DEbk1jrYg

12 is super good, it just has the problems of eternal sponge bosses and the plot conclusion rush for the last 1-2 hours of the game.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Actually, the problem with XII is the Great Crystal dungeon being the worst loving thing ever made

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

Oh god trying to get Beta as soon as it's available is awful. If only Enemy Skills were retained even when you run :negative:

Put everyone in the back row, feed them Tranquilizers for Sadness, throw Graviballs at Midgar Zolom until she's kinda low, and keep the person who has Enemy Skill topped up. When she Betas, you'll survive, learn it, and then cast it back at her and she'll die. Depends on little on your levels and such, and it's kinda gimmicky, but it works.

Unrelated, but I'm going through the game again and I did a deep dive on ambient dialogues and little trivia tidbits for Chapter 3 as part of something I'm writing for my friend's site. I was gonna work on doing one for all the chapters that have significant ambient dialogues or interesting digressions, but I'm only through Chapter 3 so far; anyone care to see this (mostly useless) stuff?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Actually, the problem with XII is the Great Crystal dungeon being the worst loving thing ever made

That's being kind

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Sakurazuka posted:

That's being kind

Like, people are complaining about the final part of Remake ruining the rest of the game for them but Great Crystal is an example of something that's actually bad enough to not only completely spoil that experience but also make me want to burn my house down

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Great Crystal is a real tedious dungeon and it sucks that if you want all the Espers you have to go there twice

Luckily it goes by pretty quickly if you look up a map online and totally bypass its gimmick :v: It's a bad dungeon

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

lezard_valeth posted:

They also have one of the best written dialogues in any FF, or maybe RPG ever

I remember this being true. Haven't played since it first came out but I recall the conversations being griping even though the characters weren't particularly. I'd definitely be down to play zodiac age if I ever catch it on sale. 50 bucks for a 10 year old game is a bit much.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the great crystal is bad but not really moreso than XII's other interminable dungeons

the optional part of it though, hoo boy

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I found most of FFXII's dungeons to be fine. The big problem with the Great Crystal is that they take away your map specifically in a dungeon made up entirely of nearly-identical platforms connected by bridges, so you have almost no way to orient yourself. It'd be one thing if they took away your map but there were distinctive landmarks of some kind you could use. The combination they have going on in that dungeon is like it's designed to be frustrating and I don't really appreciate that.

It's sorta like how in FF7R, the Drum felt like it was designed to annoy the player with the constant runaround and being full of ~*~quirky~*~ enemies that like to dodge and go invulnerable a ton. I'm not the guy who's gonna call something "bad design" but I will say that it felt like the annoyance I was feeling there was completely intentional on the part of the designers--especially given that it's all set up by Hojo--and that I did not enjoy it :v:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

As far as Hard goes, I mainly kept one of my Elementals on Tifa's fists, except on the occasions I knew there was an enemy coming that could be ruined by moving it over to defense (like Shiva). But I also didn't get a second Elemental materia until nearly the end of my second playthrough, due to walking right over it the first time :v:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've got a stupid question about elemental materia--are you penalized for attaching it to your weapon on a fight where the enemy is resistant to it? In other words will it do even less damage than if you didn't have it equipped at all, or worse, cause your basic attacks to heal the enemy? Or is it only possible for it to be a bonus?

I never used it in my first run because I never felt confident about anticipating what enemies were weak/strong against but if it can't hurt you, then i suppose there's no reason not to run around with a flaming sword at all times

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've got a stupid question about elemental materia--are you penalized for attaching it to your weapon on a fight where the enemy is resistant to it? In other words will it do even less damage than if you didn't have it equipped at all, or worse, cause your basic attacks to heal the enemy? Or is it only possible for it to be a bonus?

I never used it in my first run because I never felt confident about anticipating what enemies were weak/strong against but if it can't hurt you, then i suppose there's no reason not to run around with a flaming sword at all times

Enemies will resist/absorb the damage you inflict accordingly. If you have Elemental-[magic materia] slotted when you fight, say, Hell House, and its shield transforms to absorb that element, it will be healed by all of your attacks on it.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Credit where credit was due. In the scene where Cloud has to steal the ID from Jessie's dad they actually got the wave form right for an arterial line even though they didn't include a blood pressure reading to go with it. Granted, it makes no sense for someone to have an arterial line at home rather than in a hospital and if they were monitoring blood pressure with an art line they would probably also be monitoring their oxygen levels with a pulse oximeter but we'll chalk that up to mako poisoning being weird.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

dude789 posted:

Credit where credit was due. In the scene where Cloud has to steal the ID from Jessie's dad they actually got the wave form right for an arterial line even though they didn't include a blood pressure reading to go with it. Granted, it makes no sense for someone to have an arterial line at home rather than in a hospital and if they were monitoring blood pressure with an art line they would probably also be monitoring their oxygen levels with a pulse oximeter but we'll chalk that up to mako poisoning being weird.

This is the kind of granular poo poo that I enjoy digging around for, and I had no idea. It's a cool detail.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

LMAO I grinded in there for three days so I could sweep everything else.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Wrong topic

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 24, 2020

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Dreylad posted:

People with characters beyond Heavensward in FFXIV should get a free bypass for the fight.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

People with characters beyond Heavensward in FFXIV should get a free bypass for the fight.

The Leviathan fight in 7R seemed like it took some inspiration from XIV's levi already. I'd be extremely unsurprised if KotR did as well.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That boss in Hojo's lab is pretty much identical to the Inferno fight in wherever that lab was in Stormblood, also

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
can you just replay the sector 5 plate section to keep getting more elemental materia?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

no

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Proteus Jones posted:

If you're talking Maximillian Dood's current playthrough, he's mentioned multiple times he's playing Normal mode right now.

no, he finished his normal run and he's been doing Hard now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

morallyobjected posted:

can you just replay the sector 5 plate section to keep getting more elemental materia?

The blue link materia don't come back once you've collected them, ever. I wanted more than one magnify. :(

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

The blue link materia don't come back once you've collected them, ever. I wanted more than one magnify. :(

And yet you get two Warding, which does very little before being mastered (50% reduction on the duration of instant death!) and takes a bajillion AP.

Speaking of how much AP things take, the battle challenge to max all magic materia was weird because it was actually just a challenge to max Revive, which took at least twice as much AP as anything else.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Qrr posted:

And yet you get two Warding, which does very little before being mastered (50% reduction on the duration of instant death!) and takes a bajillion AP.

Speaking of how much AP things take, the battle challenge to max all magic materia was weird because it was actually just a challenge to max Revive, which took at least twice as much AP as anything else.

Elemental, Revival, and various stat-up Independent materia take so much longer than the others that I wonder if it isn't an oversight. You can master like three or four copies of Healing and various offensive magics before Elemental will even be, like, level 2.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Elemental is by far the best materia in the game anyway, even level 1

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

homeless snail posted:

Elemental is by far the best materia in the game anyway, even level 1

First Strike, Healing, Revival, Time, Barrier, and Steadfast Block are all also extremely good but are an order of magnitude easier to level up. If anything I actually think your point is super correct in that level 1 Elemental is really good, but the incremental increase from 8% to 23% is like... good? But seventy-five hundred AP good?

I also think Elemental was kinda balanced around you picking a weapon for that character that also has the 10% increased Elemental efficacy, so you get to 33%. I mean don't get me wrong, yeah, Elemental rules. Just. 7500 AP. I had mine equipped on Cloud for I think the entire game of my first run after acquiring it during the sun lamp chapter. I think that's where it is? And I didn't master it until I was well on my way blasting through Hard

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Qrr posted:

I felt so smug thinking that I'd cracked the tonberry code by remembering to equip a warding materia. What a fun surprise I had waiting for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am glad that the replay gives that AP boost. Did anyone finish that Chadley "all magic materia mastered" request in the first playthrough?