Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Marklin. Best model trains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I have some but they're currently sitting in a box for lack of space.

I made those loads of coal by using a sieve of appropriate size to get H0-scaled sand and then glued it together and painted it.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 25, 2020

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Elukka posted:

I have some but they're currently sitting in a box for lack of space.

I made those loads of coal by using a sieve of appropriate size to get H0-scaled coal and then glued it together and painted it.

When I was a child, my brother and I built a 30' HO layout in our basement.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
dang that's a beauty, post more pictures if you got em!

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Very nice. I had an HO setup on a sheet of particle board as a kid. Still have my locos and rolling stock in the closet.

I'd like to do an N scale setup in my basement for when I have the time and money for an Old Man Hobby again.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Minto Took posted:

Very nice. I had an HO setup on a sheet of particle board as a kid. Still have my locos and rolling stock in the closet.

I'd like to do an N scale setup in my basement for when I have the time and money for an Old Man Hobby again.

I love your avatar.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

I love your avatar.

:3:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Those aren't model trains, that is a highly-distributed-traction switching locomotive.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NvK1KpRTEs

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

All trains are fun to smooch

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

MrYenko posted:

Those aren't model trains, that is a highly-distributed-traction switching locomotive.

horizontal scaling

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

TITANKISSER69 posted:

All trains are fun to smooch

ATAG

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

dang that's a beauty, post more pictures if you got em!

Thank you.

We did this layout in the early 1970's. I did the track bed, bridge etc. My brother did the art and we both did the mountains out of chicken wire, newspapers and plaster of paris.

The whole thing started with the slot car track and just got out of control. My parents didn't even know about this for months.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

VideoGameVet posted:

Thank you.

We did this layout in the early 1970's. I did the track bed, bridge etc. My brother did the art and we both did the mountains out of chicken wire, newspapers and plaster of paris.

The whole thing started with the slot car track and just got out of control. My parents didn't even know about this for months.

What did they have to say when they finally found out about it? :allears:

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What did they have to say when they finally found out about it? :allears:

Bitched a bit, but were ok with it. They had fun when they sold the place (I was in Grad School by then) getting the plaster off of that concrete wall.

They were pretty hands-off anyway. I hitchhiked across Canada and the USA when I was 16 years old after getting hit by a car in Ottawa, on an attempt to bike across Canada from the NYC area. I'm sure my mom was not in favor of that, but my Dad's generation (WWII Vets) tended to be ok with their children doing risky stuff.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

was trolling youtube on different subjects and stumbled across this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2-Q4maINVQ

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
Saw this accident write-up on Reddit. All I have to say is, holy poo poo...

https://i.redd.it/s55kt72kdg351.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/CatastrophicFailure/comments/gy8vuh/the_2020_auggen_bridge_collision_a_100_metric_ton/

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Kilonum posted:

was trolling youtube on different subjects and stumbled across this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2-Q4maINVQ

Private video.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

It seems a bit bananas to use this accident as a reason to ban roll on-roll off.
What if it had been a passenger train? Ban mass transit?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

loving hell, was public when I posted it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

First of all I love trains and am glad to find this thread

Second: please help!

Does anyone know what kind of language I would use to describe this thing? I'm trying to see if it's worth anything on Ebay.

It's a ticket collector's counter from a Philly trolley line. It has buttons for a ticket, cash, transfer, or half fare. A bell rings when you hit any button; the bell is a different tone for half fare.

Pressing the button advances the little wheels that count how many passengers have used each kind of fare for the day.

I tried seaching for exactly the words on the stamp on the back and didn't find anything other than some patent law in old books. I tried things like "ticket collector mechanical counter" and "railway ticket counter" and so on with no luck finding anything similar. It's really neat and it was my step-grandpa's but I'm moving and it's just been in my basement forever. Anyone know what this is called?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My suggestion is to see if any preservation groups or transport museums want it. That seems really neat.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Good call, the PA trolley museum is a thing!

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
I'd suggest looking up the term "fare counter", possibly combined with "streetcar" or "trolley". Looks cool, and looks to be in really good shape!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Good news, it looks like the PA trolley museum wants it :) thanks for the idea.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

"It belongs in a museum!"

Awesome little mechanism, it's cool that you found a museum that's interested. That seems like a really unique item that's probably worth some money. You might want to loan it for display rather than outright donating if they're interested.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Hmm that's a thought, but honestly I think my grandma and grandpa would have wanted it to end up belonging to a trolley museum. They loved trolleys, and museums.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

alnilam posted:

Hmm that's a thought, but honestly I think my grandma and grandpa would have wanted it to end up belonging to a trolley museum. They loved trolleys, and museums.

An easy thing you could do is donate with the stipulation that, should it be displayed, there should be a sign indicating that it's from "the collection of Gpa and Gma Alnilam" or something like that to really get their efforts recognized.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Tex Avery posted:

An easy thing you could do is donate with the stipulation that, should it be displayed, there should be a sign indicating that it's from "the collection of Gpa and Gma Alnilam" or something like that to really get their efforts recognized.

That's exactly what I asked for and they said no problem :frogc00l:

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
Good job, dude! If this bullshit coronavirus ever ends, I'll look forward to finally getting my rear end back out to PA and checking to see if I spot this fare counter at any museums I go to.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

alnilam posted:

Good news, it looks like the PA trolley museum wants it :) thanks for the idea.

That's awesome! :unsmith:

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
The PA trolley museum has a webinar series, Trolleyology, that has been fun. Good presenters, pretty genuine. I used to volunteer there as a teen, glad they're actually getting pretty successful!

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAuuS6tKHZc

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

oh thats some good pipe acting at 19m20

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Pretty cool mechanism there, a patent comes up as number 176,426 from August 20, 1875, and it was referred to as a passenger fare counter or passenger fare enumerator. On page 802 if the link isn't exact.

https://books.google.com/books?id=O...%201875&f=false

Also, there's a picture of one on page 36 here https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...m2Uexcm6pLYVW-G

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 19, 2020

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

oh thats some good pipe acting at 19m20

The whole channel is fascinating, it popped up on my Youtube suggestions and I'm hooked - it seems you weren't dressed properly in the 50s/60s unless you had a pipe or cigarette

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

JingleBells posted:

The whole channel is fascinating, it popped up on my Youtube suggestions and I'm hooked - it seems you weren't dressed properly in the 50s/60s unless you had a pipe or cigarette

I really like the guy chasing down the rail car near the end in a full 3 piece suit with the wood lever to try and activate the brakes.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
The idea of having to run beside a free wheeling car, lift and drop a lever, then sticking a club in and applying so much downward force that you can just about lift yourself off the ground spooks me. I once had a foreman/engineer talk to me because she saw me power walking next to a cut of cars I was guiding her into a track with. She told me there's nothing at this job worth running for unless I'm running for my life from danger. I wonder what she'd think of this.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

A really interesting snapshot of a small slice in time - modernising goods yards, electric vehicles and computerised dockets... but all the goods are still breakbulk. Fascinating.

The new yard still exists: https://goo.gl/maps/8fYEfCVdX9AdzJ8Z9

Most of the bulk steel has left Sheffield now - i'm told that they make more money now than before, concentrating on high-precision engineering tasks.

A history of the Dowty marshalling yard system: https://www.dowtyheritage.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Wagon-Control.pdf

meltie fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

BVMTH is going to flip for this. Thanks!

:tipshat: