Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a real good chance the 13" is getting a refresh soon for macbook pro? I need to buy one but don't want to buy one thats getting replaced like in a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

Empress Brosephine posted:

Is there a real good chance the 13" is getting a refresh soon for macbook pro? I need to buy one but don't want to buy one thats getting replaced like in a few weeks.

There are rumors pointing to a refresh in next few months. But with supply chains being impacted who knows.

Edit: And the last refresh for the mbp16 made more memory and greater storage space standard, buying the current mbp13 likely not a good value proposition if not immediately needed.

tragic_ethos fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 24, 2020

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

unless you like, are going to have a lit cigarette put out on your eyeball if you don't buy a computer, I'd just wait. if the 16 inch is any indication, it's going to be SO much better.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Is there a pressing reason that the i5+ Macbook Air doesn't meet your needs? It seems like a much better buy right now.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/04/06/new-13-inch-macbook-pro-coming-next-month/

Definitely wait until after June, especially if Apple finally shoves Ice Lake chips into the 13" rMBP. They already did in the somewhat-lauded 2020 rMBA, and it makes that model much more powerful (to a point) than its predecessors.

We haven't had a current generation Intel chip AND a good keyboard on a rMBP in.. well, never.

Shaocaholica posted:

Anyone remember Apple Display Connector passing mains AC and low voltage DVI signal. Those were rad when they sparked on insertion.

I can remember that Apple Studio Displays with ADC connectors also needed the stupidly huge power bricks, similar to the power bricks for first generation Mac Minis. Then I also remember DVIators which let you hook up ADC monitors to DVI GPU cards; you still needed that hulking power supply though.

It took a bunch of years, but Apple wound up dropping Mini power bricks altogether by internalizing the power supply.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Also someone change thread title to 'Finally, good loving keyboards'

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It was a long 4 years

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks all for the help. I do a lot of *basic* video work & web work which I heard the macBook air isn't very good at? Could be a wives tail. I don't have a preference either way and its not like im doing any gaming or anything.

Also I bought the top of the line macbook in 2017 when they introduced the nutterfly keys so I will gladly wait to not have to deal with that nightmare again.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

4K video is not great on it, and Java devs maybe not great fans due to the 8GB ram limit before and how magnificent Java IDEs are for their resource usage. You now have 16GB, but still the Intel GPU obviously.

Webdev could mean many things including running Photoshop, Illustrator, and other large clunky apps. Clunky as they’re still predominantly single threaded. My 2013 Air has only two cores and so can become unhappy.

I can definitely say 3D webdev is unpleasant on an Air, but that’s because of screen size and things like Maya can be fruity.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My Air arrived so I've set it up and letting it do it's indexing while I'm at work. I also foolishly opened the Music app and signed into Match so I'm sure it'll burn my house down at some point over the next 8 hours.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How many generations of MacBooks are destined for an early grave because of butterfly?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

How many generations of MacBooks are destined for an early grave because of butterfly?

If you go by models with the poo poo keyboard:

2016 Retina MacBook Pro 13-inch
2016 Retina MacBook Pro 15-inch
2017 Retina MacBook Pro 13-inch
2017 Retina MacBook Pro 15-inch
2018 Retina MacBook Pro 13-inch
2018 Retina MacBook Pro 15-inch
2019 Retina MacBook Pro 13-inch
2019 Retina MacBook Pro 15-inch
2015 Retina MacBook 12-inch
2016 Retina MacBook 12-inch
2017 Retina MacBook 12-inch
2018 Retina MacBook Air 13-inch
2019 Retina MacBook Air 13-inch

That's a shitload of models that Apple will have to offer free replacements for when the keyboard goes ka-blooey.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Incidentally, has there been any complaining about Magic Keyboards on the newest models? The 16" has been in the wild for a few months now. I certainly haven't had any trouble with my Air after a week; it's a complete joy to type on.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

That's a shitload of models that Apple will have to offer free replacements for when the keyboard goes ka-blooey.

The secondary market will not be kind to these.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

Only for 4 years. So less and less 2016's can get it replaced every day.

Well, at least after November or whenever it was they were released.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MrMoo posted:

4K video is not great on it, and Java devs maybe not great fans due to the 8GB ram limit before and how magnificent Java IDEs are for their resource usage. You now have 16GB, but still the Intel GPU obviously.

Webdev could mean many things including running Photoshop, Illustrator, and other large clunky apps. Clunky as they’re still predominantly single threaded. My 2013 Air has only two cores and so can become unhappy.

I can definitely say 3D webdev is unpleasant on an Air, but that’s because of screen size and things like Maya can be fruity.

Thanks for this. I do a lot of high res photo work in Photoshop since clients send raw files to be compressed. Web dev is simple stuff like react, Javascript, WordPress etc nothingntoo fancy.

Not being able to play 4k decently is concerning though for a $1k laptop. Guess I'll wait then. Thanks for the help.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Wait is the issue 4K video playback or 4K video editing?

The latter seems like a place where I'd expect a MacBook Air to be clunky, but the former falls right into their content consumer/light user wheelhouse.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

most macs from ~2013 on should play 4k okay? editing 4k may be different tho i never do that

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
If you switch your 4K intermediate to prores or dnxhd and work with proxies it should be fine on even older machines but I know that’s not a thing for most people who just want to edit something simple.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Thanks for this. I do a lot of high res photo work in Photoshop since clients send raw files to be compressed. Web dev is simple stuff like react, Javascript, WordPress etc nothingntoo fancy.

Not being able to play 4k decently is concerning though for a $1k laptop. Guess I'll wait then. Thanks for the help.

It's 4K editing that people are saying it doesn't handle well, they'll play 4K video fine. For that matter, the 13" pros don't do 4K video editing well either.

The current Macbook Air is faster than every 2015 Pro, or for that matter a 2017 13" Macbook Pro with the dual core i5.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

kefkafloyd posted:

There's still optical thunderbolt. You don't want optical, it's expensive. The fact they made it work on copper (for most things) is a good thing.

Good in that it's better than nothing, bad in that it's a regrettable step back from what Light Peak was supposed to be. Intel had this long-running R&D project trying to make silicon photonics (laser diodes integrated into a standard logic process) a thing. This would allow much cheaper optical transceivers. Light Peak was supposed to turn that R&D into a real product (one that, in Intel's view, would've been a precursor to the main attraction: chips that used only optical fiber to communicate with each other, even on a motherboard or whatever).

The other part of Light Peak was a collaboration with a fiber manufacturer (Dow Corning I think) on cheaper fiber for the consumer market. Also was going to be highly flexible, once again because consumer market. (Can't count on random people buying poo poo in a best buy to handle fiber cable with the care required to never bend past its minimum bend radius.)

The silicon photonics thing didn't work out, so Intel had to go with a copper physical layer for consumer grade Thunderbolt, and traditional off the shelf $$$ optical transceivers for those willing and able to pay through the nose to get longer cable runs.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Bob Morales posted:

Only for 4 years. So less and less 2016's can get it replaced every day.

Well, at least after November or whenever it was they were released.

I bet I can take a butterfly MacBook to the Apple store and get the keyboard replaced for the foreseeable future without raising much of a fuss. You don't really hear that many issues with the 2019+ butterfly keyboards, although I'm sure somebody can find somebody complaining on the internets about them.

For something that has been known to be such an issue, I'm shocked I haven't had any issues with my 2018 MacBook Pro, especially since my house is filled with inescapable cat hair.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 24, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Gay Retard posted:

For something that has been known to be such an issue, I'm shocked I haven't had any issues with my 2018 MacBook Pro, especially since my house is filled with inescapable cat hair.

Way to jinx yourself. :rip:

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Gay Retard posted:

I bet I can take a butterfly MacBook to the Apple store and get the keyboard replaced for the foreseeable future without raising much of a fuss. You don't really hear that many issues with the 2019+ butterfly keyboards, although I'm sure somebody can find somebody complaining on the internets about them.

My wife has a 2017 13" MBP that also hasn't had any issues.

Granted, it also has barely seen any use. I already have way more usage on my 2019 16" MBP than her 2017 13" MBP has seen.

It's really not such a big deal unless it's your only machine, or if it breaks right now when all the retail stores are closed. They extended the warranty to 4 years for all the models with the butterfly keyboards right? By 4 years old it's going to be a slow piece of poo poo anyway.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I thought it was determined that it wasn't a debris issue anyway? Like it was literally materials breaking in the keys.

Some guy did a test where he immersed the keyboard in fine grained sand/dust and saw no ill effects

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Brain Issues posted:

By 4 years old it's going to be a slow piece of poo poo anyway.

That's ridiculous when talking about laptops in 2020

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Yeah, my Mac Mini is almost 8 years old, and the only reason I'm upgrading is because it doesn't have hdmi 2/2.1 for 4k60 output, and that was a 3rd gen mobile dual core.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Binary Badger posted:

its only a 4 year extension on the warranty so the 16's are hosed.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah, my Mac Mini is almost 8 years old, and the only reason I'm upgrading is because it doesn't have hdmi 2/2.1 for 4k60 output, and that was a 3rd gen mobile dual core.

Posting this on a 2009 Mac Pro

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I feel like this is a deeply stupid question but I can't find a solid answer, I want to drive 2 1080P displays with my 2018 MacBook Air, as I understand it there is no problem driving the internal display and 2 1080P monitors.

My question is, I already have a USB C dock with an HDMI port, can I just plug a UBC to Displayport cable in the second port and drive all the displays?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Posting from a 2008 Dell!

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Three Olives posted:

I feel like this is a deeply stupid question but I can't find a solid answer, I want to drive 2 1080P displays with my 2018 MacBook Air, as I understand it there is no problem driving the internal display and 2 1080P monitors.

My question is, I already have a USB C dock with an HDMI port, can I just plug a UBC to Displayport cable in the second port and drive all the displays?

You definitely have enough bandwidth going to the dock to drive two 1080p screens, but the dock might not necessarily support driving two screens at once regardless of resolution. It probably does, though. What kind of dock is it?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Eletriarnation posted:

You definitely have enough bandwidth going to the dock to drive two 1080p screens, but the dock might not necessarily support driving two screens at once regardless of resolution. It probably does, though. What kind of dock is it?

It's a dinky cheap dock with HDMI out, I don't to drive two displays with the dock, I want to drive one HDMI display and use straight USB C to DisplayPort in the second port to drive the second external display.

I know I'm solid using a Mac compatible dock with two HDMI/DisplayPorts, what I want to do is use one cable and one dock.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Yes the second port will drive the other display. Until you need to charge!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Pivo posted:

Yes the second port will drive the other display. Until you need to charge!

Cheapo dock does USB C passthrough just fine.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

That's ridiculous when talking about laptops in 2020

Mac laptops haven't exactly been pinnacles of performance, even the 16" has already handily beaten by the new Ryzen laptops and it just came out.

Mister Facetious posted:

Your Mac Mini doesn't have an integrated keyboard, and it doesn't have a laptop grade processor, it has a full on desktop CPU. Even when your Mac Mini was new, what kind of intensive workloads could it handle? It doesn't have a GPU.

I have a 2019 16" MBP and a 2018 Mac Mini i5, I am well aware of what they are capable of.

redeyes posted:

its only a 4 year extension on the warranty so the 16's are hosed.

The 16" models don't have the butterfly keyboard.

Shaocaholica posted:

Posting from a 2008 Dell!

Posting to a forum doesn't take much power.. You could do it from anything.

--------

Just to be clear, and I feel like I shouldn't need to say this, but the Cult of Mac appears to be strong here.

I like apples products. I have an 11 Pro Max, an iPad 9.7 Pro, an iPad Mini 5, a 16" MBP, and a 2018 Mac Mini.

By 4 years old, any normal current laptop is going to be considerably slower than cheap consumer entry level laptops. That's the way it has been for ages, and while hardware progress has slowed down somewhat, that's the way it is continuing to be.

Software is continuing to be increasingly resource intensive and our workflows are continuing to increase with regards to processing power needs.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 25, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Dude we only drink the kool aid sarcastically. I’m posting from a loving old rear end dell when I could be using my iMac 27 but that would be boring.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Brain Issues posted:

The 16" models don't have the butterfly keyboard.

He was talking about the 2016 MacBook Pros-not the 16" MacBook Pro

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Fedule posted:

Incidentally, has there been any complaining about Magic Keyboards on the newest models? The 16" has been in the wild for a few months now. I certainly haven't had any trouble with my Air after a week; it's a complete joy to type on.

no they kick rear end. what a dumb loving decision by ive and cook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread. I don't own a Mac but my wife does (MBA 13", 2013) and could use tech support because I'm useless if I'm not in Windows. Hope you can help?

Short version: the laptop started heating up, cooling fans (I thought it didn't have any for some reason?) kicked on, and the screen froze. She shuts it down by holding down the power button and on next startup it produces:

which I learned is a Bad Thing. Followed tutorials to see what's going on and found the following:

- I can run disk utility and Verify the disk (it comes back OK) but the Repair button is greyed out.
- The OS drive is showing up at about 1GB in size, which can't be true. Is that the OS installation size? I don't know if it matters because:
- There is no boot drive to choose from when in the recovery environment

If this were a Windows computer, I'd say the drive is well and truly hosed. It sounds like it needs to be replaced with a new one (because I wouldn't trust the current drive to be resurrected in good working order anyway), and the old drive scavenged for data by hooking it up to a working system as an external drive. Is that a thing you can do with Macs?

Buying a new system is also on the table, which might be the best option altogether for Mrs. Trabant. She's been hitting drive storage limitations for a long while, and I think can't even install new OS updates because how old the system is.

She doesn't have a system backup of any kind, but has been storing work files on an external drive so it's not a huge deal if she needs to reinstall the OS. And getting technicians to look at it during The End Times is out of the question.

What would you do in this case?