Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

I ran the 250 a little today. Revs dip momentarily if I gun the throttle, it doesn't seem to return back to idle quickly at all. I don't know how much of this is that maybe I didn't give it enough time to warm up and how much of it was my amateur carb cleaning over the winter. I might pull it apart and try to make sure everything is spic and span again.

Don't take things apart, it's almost certainly just the pilot screw not being set right. You do have to get the bike warmed up fully, then blip it and let it descend to idle - if it 'hangs' with a really high idle before coming back down, pilot is too lean. If it drops really low and slowly climbs back up, pilot is too rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks. I’ll give it a shot but there’s a chance I already monkeyed with it this offseason. It arbitrarily decided to start snowing so I’m closing the shed for a few days but I’ll put in some effort on adjusting this weekend I hope.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
2nding don't take it apart if you don't have to. I took the float bowl off yesterday to change the pilot and now have to replace two orings, two screws and a gasket

20yo bike like

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'll donk with the adjustments first for sure. Pulling the entire carb is work I don't really want to do. Need to pull the airbox which requires pulling a whole boatload off the tail...

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Where are you that you have so much snow still? I live in the “frozen tundra”, aka Wisconsin and we haven’t had snow on the ground since mid-February at least.

Northern Michigan.
Not a ton, just a little bit almost every day. Between that and the cold, just not what I want to ride in.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Finally got my seat cover after a month of shopping. Thanks Jyna.

I've never done a seat cover before but it seemed straight forward. It was pretty annoying but I got it done without wrinkles. I'm not sure if I'll like the gripper seat or not but we'll see. I can see the raised bumps causing issues.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
it's ribbed for your pleasure

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Let's be real, it's probably going to destroy my rear end. Luckily I don't sit while riding very often.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

nadmonk posted:

Northern Michigan.
Not a ton, just a little bit almost every day. Between that and the cold, just not what I want to ride in.

Ah, the UP! I have tons of family up there and yep, they’re all still complaining about the snow lol

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
New old stock exhaust is finally on my nx 250.

I had been looking at doing something with the exhaust as some idiot PO ricer had expanded the rear of the exhaust for more noise/air flow, but opening it up from water ingress from normal rain. It was probably the same PO that had used a sharpie to tint the indicators. So the muffler was slowly rusting away since it's also made of cheese by default. The exhaust header sadly has a nice bend on it, so it perfectly catches the grit from the front tire. This leads to a slow sand blasting that resulted in a nice hole at the bottom of it which I noticed some weeks ago. There was also welds on the header near the engine, looks like it was broken there once before.

When I dug into it to remove the old bits some other PO had been there before. And not used a closed nut on one of the bolts. This nut was properly rusted into a non uniform shape on the cheese exhaust bolt. Ofc it broke. as did the bolt 3 times from the welded on nuts to back out the bolt. This stock bolt is also not available anywhere. Start drilling out with crap drill bits -> break screw extractor in drilled hole -> buy proper cobalt bits -> buy proper tapping tools.

Cleaned it up before assembly ofc.

I also had fun with the exhaust crush washer was some kinda aftermarket spool of thin malleable metal leafs. A total pain in the rear end do deal with. Athena was the brand, will never buy again.

Looks like I wont be getting that dr600 I was looking at, not gonna sell this nx for a while after dropping so much cash and time on it.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ah, the UP! I have tons of family up there and yep, they’re all still complaining about the snow lol

Not quite the UP, but about as close as you can get and still be in the lower peninsula.

In other news, finally got oil and went to change it on the GS750.
The oil that was in there didn't look bad, but I'm honestly not sure when the PO last changed it.

The trouble was in putting the filter cover back on.
I crushed the new o-ring and flattened a spot in it so went back to the ring that was in there (it was in perfect shape, thankfully).
I tightened the cover nuts and felt one didn't really feel like it was tightening only to find it was so stripped it was smooth on the inside (the stud looks fine).
Checked another, it looked pretty similar.
Another cover + spring + nuts is on the way thanks to eBay.
I did try drilling out some nuts I had on hand and tapping them to the same size but they weren't going on by hand so I'm just waiting.
Given the durability of the OE nuts, I don't really want to push the studs.
I'm not sure if the new tapped nuts not fitting is down to the crappy quality of my taps or the crappy quality of my tapping abilities.
Perhaps a bit of both. Or maybe it isn't actually M6-0.75 and is actually M6-0.5.

Return Loss
Jul 22, 2001

Threw out the original 17-year old rubber coolant hoses which had started cracking and leaking and replaced them with shiny new silicone ones.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That looks at least 3% faster.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
drat... I wonder if I can get slicone coolant hoses for my 5th gen VFR

Return Loss
Jul 22, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

drat... I wonder if I can get slicone coolant hoses for my 5th gen VFR

I bought the hose kit from AS3 performance. The hoses all fit perfectly - length, shape and angle of bends. There are other manufacturers like Samco who do kits, but AS3 have reasonable prices and the quality seems good.

5th gen VFR? https://www.as3performance.co.uk/honda-vfr-800-fi-1998-2001-high-performance-silicone-radiator-hoses-red/
They also do them in black or blue.

(edit:spelling)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

That looks at least 3% faster.

3% of 154hp is like 5hp, those things are red mate they're worth at least an extra 10 at the wheel.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

I got it out of winter storage, even though it's still gonna be pretty brrrrr and wet for a week or two yet

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Return Loss posted:

I bought the hose kit from AS3 performance. The hoses all fit perfectly - length, shape and angle of bends. There are other manufacturers like Samco who do kits, but AS3 have reasonable prices and the quality seems good.

5th gen VFR? https://www.as3performance.co.uk/honda-vfr-800-fi-1998-2001-high-performance-silicone-radiator-hoses-red/
They also do them in black or blue.

(edit:spelling)

Why would you post this filth when I have too much time on my hands and am unable to ride? Red rad hoses, control cables and oil filler caps?

e: RED BRAKE HOSES. Gonna have to call my bank and disable my credit card for a while I think.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Managed to get all the bolts out (didn't need to drill anything out but nearly broke a spanner in the process) and this is what's left:

:sbahj:

Still planning to mash a bunch of jb weld in there and hope for the best, but I can't do it tomorrow like I planned because it turns out I hosed up the parts order and instead of getting four muffler mount collars I got four exhaust header centering collars :cripes: (also the parts I actually need cost £4 each :wtf:)

So until those get here I'm taking gf's bike to work while mine sits inside with the mufflers strung up:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Just wrap a coat hanger around the muffler to the frame to support it and safety wire the everloving gently caress out of it all and ride.
Or use the coat hanger AS safety wire to mount the muffler to the bolt holes. Put it in one hole and back out the other so that both ends are pointing out away from the bike and twist them together with some pliers.
JB Weld is not going to solve your problem.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah I have never really been all that impressed with JB Weld. It's...fine? I guess? But it's not as strong as an actual weld, obviously, and it's not as tough as plain epoxy without the metal powder in it. I think the examples they always show, like fixing a crack in an engine block, are especially well suited to the material because there's very little chance of further impact or movement of the joint. If you try to use it somewhere that's likely to see continued cyclic stresses (like, say, the exhaust hanger) it's probably going to crumble out after not that long.

The proper way to fix that would be to cut off the broken parts and weld a new plate in place. Or just weld a new plate right on top of the old one #yolo

Failing that, get some sheet metal and make another plate, then drill and bolt it to what's left of the old plate with like 4mm bolts and loctite the nuts.

The redneck way would be to weld a big washer over the busted holes.

The ultra-redneck way would be to

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Just wrap a coat hanger around the muffler to the frame to support it and safety wire the everloving gently caress out of it all and ride.
Or use the coat hanger AS safety wire to mount the muffler to the bolt holes. Put it in one hole and back out the other so that both ends are pointing out away from the bike and twist them together with some pliers.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
tbh my backup plan if this fix fails is to just saw those mounts off and stick a standard strap exhaust hanger on like every aftermarket slip-on uses. So, basically the safety wire, but less rear end-looking.

Really it would have been cheaper and easier to do that from the start but I didn't realise/want to admit quite how hosed the stock hangers were.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

CBR954 is such a great looking bike. Also that is a very clean 13 year old machine.

Is that a seat cowl that's also a mini luggage rack? What make is it?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I did two things:

1) I put the hitch back on after my horrifying realization that I have no way to tow my trailer that isn’t my lawn mower and due to quarantine, borrowing a car with a hitch is out

2) I finished the break-in period

Return Loss
Jul 22, 2001

knox_harrington posted:

CBR954 is such a great looking bike. Also that is a very clean 13 year old machine.

Is that a seat cowl that's also a mini luggage rack? What make is it?

17 years old, actually :-) I've owned it for 10 years and will probably never sell it. Such a great bike.
Yes, I bought a cheap rear seat cowl and converted it with attach points for a Kriega US-10/20. I never carry a passenger so I may as well get some use out of the passenger seat area.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yay got biek from storage :toot:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chris Knight posted:

Yay got biek from storage :toot:

Ditto! Where "storage" equals "my folks' garage"

Also I got a new helmet over the winter and God drat is that a clear visor. Like I'm not even wearing a helmet.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I run a computer equipment recycling business so every day rain or shine I load up my Goldwing with boxes to ship out and cosplay a motorcycle courier for a bit and its getting me through the day

the goldwing is a good pack mule

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I run a computer equipment recycling business

lol that is the Oldwingest job next to running a small electronics store

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I wish :allears:

at least I'm keeping it on-brand

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's an awesome occupation and I'd love to give up my desk job to do it :colbert:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I installed two ram mounts last weekend, one for a phone and another for a cup holder. Combined with the little usb port I added it's a wild difference to not care if my cell phone is low before hopping on the bike.

Now someone reassure me that they leave their ram mounts attached all day every day and no one steals them...

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jack B Nimble posted:

Now someone reassure me that they leave their ram mounts attached all day every day and no one steals them...

No one has hosed with mine to date, but in general I try to avoid parking in places where people might gently caress with my bike

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I wish :allears:

at least I'm keeping it on-brand

Martytoof posted:

That's an awesome occupation and I'd love to give up my desk job to do it :colbert:
Oh I mean no disrespect to the job, I think it's awesome. But I'm totally imagining a dude with a faded single color t-shirt with a breast pocket, tucked into some acid washed jeans over white sneakers, riding to work on an old Aspencade or Interstate with a swivel top Igloo lunchbox bungeed onto the pillion.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Oh I mean no disrespect to the job, I think it's awesome. But I'm totally imagining a dude with a faded single color t-shirt with a breast pocket, tucked into some acid washed jeans over white sneakers, riding to work on an old Aspencade or Interstate with a swivel top Igloo lunchbox bungeed onto the pillion.

Please don't doxx me.

Also, you forgot about the fanny pack.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Please don't doxx me.

Also, you forgot about the fanny pack.

Oh OH and cell phone holster

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

It's like you put one of my uncles in one hand, and the other of my uncles in the other hand, and mashed them together to make one Big Uncle

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m still not seeing the down side here :haw:

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

I kinda want my fork seals to last more than 2 years, so added some fork skins after getting them tight again with a seal mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Since the oil filter cover nuts on the GS750 were stripped they hell out, I had to order new ones.
They finally showed up.
Next step, get some oil in it, insure and register, then ride!