Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Funzo posted:

I wonder what makes these different then the GW contrast paints.

There are a lot of ways they can still stand out; having different colors, better pricing, and extremely easily having better pots. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

I said come in! posted:

There are a lot of ways they can still stand out; having different colors, better pricing, and extremely easily having better pots. :v:

Looks like a very similar method to use and basecoating before applying. They showcase colors in the videos, some look... not great. Some look amazing though. I'd def want to see what is the good poo poo before ordering.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Just the thing for painting up your backlog of Nazi busts.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

grassy gnoll posted:

Just the thing for painting up your backlog of Nazi busts.

Should I be afraid to ask for further details about this? :stare:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Lol was that them?

There was a KS project that was supposed to be celebrating flying aces of WW2.

Except whoops we forgot that flying aces existed outside of the Luftwaffe so have a bunch of lovingly rendered nazis instead.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
That was Scale75. They make some great paints, and that's a real drat shame.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

It was literally titled Heroes of the Reich.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I like Scale 75 paint, but I honestly don't see the need to order entire sets of contrast-style paints. Maybe one or two for a project here and there, but it's not the way I paint for the most part.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Cat Face Joe posted:

Oh poo poo, I got them mixed up with another company. Yikes.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Oh poo poo, I got them mixed up with another company. Yikes.

Actually looks like I made that up but Eagles of the Luftwaffe ain't great either.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scale75/the-eagles-of-the-wwii-luftwaffe

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cat Face Joe posted:

Hahah massive yikes.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I use Scale 75 paints near exclusively now- I wouldn’t bother with their contrast stuff, their scale line and fantasy and game lines (the core sets) are superb.

They’re launching all these other ones at their own detriment imo. The artist acrylics were a bizarre choice and haven’t been received all that well, now a contrast paint competitor. Odd.

Just stick to their core lines, they’re outstanding.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Yeast posted:

I use Scale 75 paints near exclusively now- I wouldn’t bother with their contrast stuff, their scale line and fantasy and game lines (the core sets) are superb.

They’re launching all these other ones at their own detriment imo. The artist acrylics were a bizarre choice and haven’t been received all that well, now a contrast paint competitor. Odd.

Contrast made GW a lottttttttttt of money, though

Stop thinking realistically and start thinking like a business man

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Watching some painting tutorials while working today, and while I enjoy seeing the techniques, even if most of them are beyond my skill level, what I really wish more people would show is how they thin their paints down. It's great to say you're thinning down your paint until it's almost a glaze, but please show me what that looks like on your palette. That's actually what I like about the official GW videos. They show them putting paint down and thinning it so you get an idea of what they're doing.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Yeast posted:

Where do I pickup their stuff? Or do you need to direct order? If I wanted to spend a couple hundred on a set what should I go after? I have the leather one.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Where do I pickup their stuff? Or do you need to direct order? If I wanted to spend a couple hundred on a set what should I go after? I have the leather one.

Can't help you with where to order it, but their skin color set is some of the best paint I've ever used.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I'm in Australia, so my advice is probably not that helpful - but I can talk to their paints.

The two ranges to focus on are simply called 'Scale 75' and 'Fantasy and Games' (there is also warfront for modellers, but its all WW2 exact tone matches to uniforms etc).

The scale 75 range is super matte and has a thickness similar to P3 / Citadel Base paints. The Fantasy Range is closer to Vallejo.

The Scale 75 range is what they got famous for, in terms of coverage, blending, glazing and the matte finish, and the fantasy range is slightly more satin - and more bombastic colours as the name implies.

I'm assuming you're in the US, if so - you can buy from their online store, Noble Knight, or Miniature market at a minimum.

If you wanted to get a set, the full scale 75 range is hard to look past: https://scale75usa.com/collections/scale-collection/products/scale-color-collection

Or, if you want to stick to the smaller sets (understandable) - choose a colour palette like velvet skin or unnatural flesh and build up from there.

One thing to note, the 'full set' doesn't include their metallics/inks/fluro tones.

Word to the wise - for the Scale 75 paints, drop an agitator in the bottles. it's highly, highly recommended.

Yeast fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 24, 2020

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Zuul the Cat posted:

Got my first (and test) Wraith done.

I might go back and add another wash to the metal areas. It looks a bit flat to me.

:discourse:

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
I finally did it!

I knocked over an open pot of nuln oil.

After like 15 years of painting I finally feel like part of the community

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Funzo posted:

Watching some painting tutorials while working today, and while I enjoy seeing the techniques, even if most of them are beyond my skill level, what I really wish more people would show is how they thin their paints down. It's great to say you're thinning down your paint until it's almost a glaze, but please show me what that looks like on your palette. That's actually what I like about the official GW videos. They show them putting paint down and thinning it so you get an idea of what they're doing.

Same. I'm really struggling with a couple of my Vallejo paints. I shake them extremely well, but they're either thick and globby to work with, or just super runny like washes.

I use a wet pallette, and generally work with a slightly moist brush, which seems to work for most of my paints, but a couple of them are stubborn and refuse to cooperate.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I did a shield:

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Nice! Are those gouges on the star painted or modelled, or both? I'm thinking of painting battle damage on some space marines and I'm struggling for the best look for purple armour.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Vlex posted:

Nice! Are those gouges on the star painted or modelled, or both? I'm thinking of painting battle damage on some space marines and I'm struggling for the best look for purple armour.

Bit of both!

I used a 1/2 round file to score them but left the sort of, pushed out lower lip? , then painted it with leadbelcher, then washed it down heavy as hell with agrax, then drybrushed necron compound to get the highlights

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I got some individually based 15mm metal minis I want to rebase, what's the best way to break the CA glue bond without destroying the models? Freezing then chipping away at them with a screwdriver?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Have you already painted them? If not, just use acetone/nail polish remover.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
They're just basecoated but they are already based with sand/pva if that matters.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Anything that would work on superglue will also damage any paint, except maybe extremely careful work with a razor saw.

I would just use acetone, then strip the rest of the paint, rebase and repaint, honestly.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
How does Vallejo Gold Metal Color hold up to GW Retributor Armor? My pot RA is almost done and I adore the VMCs I just don't want a noticeable difference between my models painted with RA and the VMC.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I had terrible luck with Vallejo Model Air Metallic gold and brass - first bottles were fine then everything after that was either way too thin or just a solid chunk. No amount of shaking fixed them. The just plain Model Color gold is fine consistency-wise.

I’d go with VMC Brass as the closest to Retributor myself, although it’s still a little light. Gold and Old Gold are way too light.

mccnaol
May 26, 2018
Finished painting my blood bowl troll for my team "Da 'Ornets". Can't wait for all this to blow over so I can get a game and try him out.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Two Headed Calf posted:

How does Vallejo Gold Metal Color hold up to GW Retributor Armor? My pot RA is almost done and I adore the VMCs I just don't want a noticeable difference between my models painted with RA and the VMC.

the metal color is pretty green/yellow and i'd say is closer to liberator armour than retributor armour. you could probably get a good mix between metal color gold and copper but might be annoying to do it every time (and you need to get the copper)

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

head58 posted:

I had terrible luck with Vallejo Model Air Metallic gold and brass - first bottles were fine then everything after that was either way too thin or just a solid chunk. No amount of shaking fixed them. The just plain Model Color gold is fine consistency-wise.

So a big thing to note is that Vallejo Metal Color is not the same as their other paint lines like Vallejo Model Color or Model Air, they are a significantly higher quality and specifically only metal paints.

Sadly I don't have any GW metals to compare to so I can't really help out Two Headed Calf.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I've got the Start Collecting Skeleton Horde box from the Age of Sigmar on the way, because I hate money and needed another game to never play. I was thinking of going with bronze for the swords and shields to make them look extra ancient. Anyone have recommendations on paints to use to get a bronze metal color?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I picked up one of those "learn to paint minis" kits to keep myself occupied while furloughed and on quarantine. Went with this because I wanted some practice models before I try my hand at painting some minis in my boardgame collection, namely the Kemet monsters. Looking forward to starting this, and now I'm considering grabbing a few battetech models if I like it 'cause mechs are cool. Watched a few youtube tutorials and I won't need to prep the bits I have to paint right now so I'm thinking I'm ready to start. have my desk clean with a lamp overhead, went ahead and picked up an x-acto knife and some sticky tack to mount them to a pill bottle. Planning on doing the wet palette trick with paper towels and parchment paper. Any other noob tips? You guys wanna see my horrible results when I'm done?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Stan Taylor posted:

I picked up one of those "learn to paint minis" kits to keep myself occupied while furloughed and on quarantine. Went with this because I wanted some practice models before I try my hand at painting some minis in my boardgame collection, namely the Kemet monsters. Looking forward to starting this, and now I'm considering grabbing a few battetech models if I like it 'cause mechs are cool. Watched a few youtube tutorials and I won't need to prep the bits I have to paint right now so I'm thinking I'm ready to start. have my desk clean with a lamp overhead, went ahead and picked up an x-acto knife and some sticky tack to mount them to a pill bottle. Planning on doing the wet palette trick with paper towels and parchment paper. Any other noob tips? You guys wanna see my horrible results when I'm done?

Some noob tips, in no particular order;

Dont accidentally drink your water jar.
Dont accidentally clean your brush in your coffee.
Multiple thin coats are better than one thick coat; You can always add more paint to a model, trying to take paint back off is harder! The wet palette will help with this.
Dont stress about it. Its a hobby, its supposed to be fun. Your first model wont be as good as your 10th one, which wont be as good as your 100th one, and thats fine! Still looks nicer than bare plastic.
A dark wash covers a multitude of sins.
When you take a photo of the miniature you will notice a bunch of things that werent apparent to the naked eye. Just remember that literally no-one will ever look as closely at your models as you do, or as critically!
A black undercoat means any parts you miss painting look like shadow which is good. On the other hand, a white undercoat makes the colours on top of it pop more (and good luck trying to put yellow over black..). Like many things in the hobby, there is no one true path. Do what works for you with the model you are currently painting and the materials you have to hand.
If you are priming with spray paints ("rattlecans") you might want to check out a technique called "Zenithal Highlighting". Its easy to do and can make picking out the highlights on a miniature easier. You just need 2 spray paints, a light one and darker one.

Edit to add: Also dont be afraid to ask questions, this thread is pretty friendly and people like to help.

And yes, of course we want to see your results.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cinara posted:

So a big thing to note is that Vallejo Metal Color is not the same as their other paint lines like Vallejo Model Color or Model Air, they are a significantly higher quality and specifically only metal paints.
This. VModelC and VAir metals are meh (except VAir Steel which is amazing for mixing colored metallics), while VMetalC are noticeably better quality and worth trying out. There's also a Liquid Gold line which looks even better but is alcohol-based and finicky in application.

Also, don't use VMC when talking about metallics because people will get both lines confused.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

SiKboy posted:

Some noob tips, in no particular order;
I'll add some shilling for Vallejo Glaze Medium. It's supposed to be for making glazes, but adding a small drop when thinning paint will do wonders in that it will make paint way easier to thin more without running into details like a wash does. It also makes highlights look smoother, but that's for later.

Also, if when you get struck by painter's block: JUST PAINT, the worst part is the first 5 minutes of getting over your laziness. In my experience it helps to get the other part of my brain occupied by an audiobook.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SiKboy posted:

You can always add more paint to a model, trying to take paint back off is harder!

Taking paint off is super easy :v: with either simple green or what's known as brown or green soap, ie. a soft soap with potassium hydroxide in it and a pH around 13-14, it strips all kinds of paint extremely well, while being safe for metal and most plastics. Let them sit covered for ~24 hours, then rinse off with warm water and a toothbrush. And always wear gloves.

Obviously this strips ALL the paint, including primer, so it's more like the nuclear option.

So don't worry about maybe totally messing up a paintjob, you can pretty much always start over. I have some miniatures where I've started over like 3-4 times because of bad colorscheme choices.

It also means you can buy messily painted minis on eBay for cheap, strip them and paint them yourself :)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 25, 2020

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Pierzak posted:

This. VModelC and VAir metals are meh (except VAir Steel which is amazing for mixing colored metallics), while VMetalC are noticeably better quality and worth trying out. There's also a Liquid Gold line which looks even better but is alcohol-based and finicky in application.

Also, don't use VMC when talking about metallics because people will get both lines confused.

Ooh, that's good to know. I always found the regular Vallejo metallics annoying to work with - they have a weird viscosity and it's difficult to thin it properly - so I tend to use Tamiya's which are awesome. But they are alcohol based and that comes with its own set of annoying things. If the Vallejo's metal line is so much better then it might be the right middle ground!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Furism posted:

Ooh, that's good to know. I always found the regular Vallejo metallics annoying to work with - they have a weird viscosity and it's difficult to thin it properly - so I tend to use Tamiya's which are awesome. But they are alcohol based and that comes with its own set of annoying things. If the Vallejo's metal line is so much better then it might be the right middle ground!

I have the VMetalColor Copper and find it quite nice.
If you have access to Scale 75, they have awesome metallics (might be my new favorites) with the caveat that they name the paints after metal music genres which is cute but tells you gently caress all about the color.