Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

What is this visual meme thing called?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
re: isa chat

NOP? more like no, op

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

What is this visual meme thing called?

I'm pretty sure the "cute embedded nonsense hacks" controversy predates Helvetica T-shirts

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

echinopsis posted:

maybe they just want to slowly control as much as possible and rely on intel as little as possible

that, and perf/watt on intel chips is hitting a wall lately, which was also the primary reason for their jump from power for x86 years ago

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i hate adobe softare so, so very much

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

illustrator, indesign and photoshop are still the absolute best at what they do, and indesign has remarkably been getting less janky over time (unlike the other two)

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

the insane variable length instruction encoding that makes it impossible to traverse an instruction stream backwards, or even really forwards unless you want to implement a full instruction decoder in software

i love how crazily complicated instruction decoding is on x86. like you can point at the decoder on an x86 chip, because it’s so goddamn difficult that it makes up an appreciable amount of the die space. x86 chips were groundbreakers in pipelining the decode stage because x86 makes it too hard to decode a fetched instruction in one cycle. that crazy 20-cycle pentium 4 pipeline was like one-quarter decode. x86 chips actually decode every instruction two ways in parallel because they can’t afford to wait for the normal decode to finish just to figure out what the next IP is going to be. iirc there are multiple of these secondary decoders on every chip

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
wow its been so long, i can only defend like half of that. but yeah, all of those details jive

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

rjmccall posted:

i love how crazily complicated instruction decoding is on x86. like you can point at the decoder on an x86 chip, because it’s so goddamn difficult that it makes up an appreciable amount of the die space. x86 chips were groundbreakers in pipelining the decode stage because x86 makes it too hard to decode a fetched instruction in one cycle. that crazy 20-cycle pentium 4 pipeline was like one-quarter decode. x86 chips actually decode every instruction two ways in parallel because they can’t afford to wait for the normal decode to finish just to figure out what the next IP is going to be. iirc there are multiple of these secondary decoders on every chip

spending half your power budget on figuring out what the instruction is supposed to be seems like a good use of energy

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

someone who is good at chip design help me budget this. my instruction set is dying

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
also you'd think all of this crazy decoding would at least save you a bunch of code size, and it sortof does, but it's hilariously sabotaged on x86-64 because some idiot at amd thought that people would want to run legacy code directly in 64-bit mode, so all the instructions default to a 32-bit operand width and need a prefix to be used with pointers, which is much more common. and then they hosed over the legacy code thing anyway by taking away some common instruction encodings in order to make room for that prefix, so you can only run carefully-specialized 32-bit code in that mode anyway. oh and by the way this means decoding is also processor-mode-sensitive, although that at least happens on some other architectures

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

maybe we're all wrong about apple moving to arm

maybe they're bringing transmeta back from the dead!! :2bong:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

illustrator, indesign and photoshop are still the absolute best at what they do, and indesign has remarkably been getting less janky over time (unlike the other two)

coming from node based image manipulation and into stack based like photoshop is so god drat lame. it feels very restrictive to have to constrain everything to a large serial set of transforms.

maybe I just don’t know how to use it properly because it doesn’t really cause problems, but as an example, maybe I want to screen A with B but only B and not just everything under B.

node editing feels so powerful and manly

rjmccall posted:

also you'd think all of this crazy decoding would at least save you a bunch of code size, and it sortof does, but it's hilariously sabotaged on x86-64 because some idiot at amd thought that people would want to run legacy code directly in 64-bit mode, so all the instructions default to a 32-bit operand width and need a prefix to be used with pointers, which is much more common. and then they hosed over the legacy code thing anyway by taking away some common instruction encodings in order to make room for that prefix, so you can only run carefully-specialized 32-bit code in that mode anyway. oh and by the way this means decoding is also processor-mode-sensitive, although that at least happens on some other architectures

so what you’re telling me is that threads are getting double ripped and then we throw away halve?

actually don’t answer that because I know it’s a nonsense statement but god drat do I love reading about this kind of poo poo despite not really knowing anything about it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
has anyone read brian greene’s universe books? wish someone would write a book like that about processors

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

echinopsis posted:

has anyone read brian greene’s universe books? wish someone would write a book like that about processors

Jon Stokes' Inside The Machine is v.deece but kinda old?

E: Also I seem to remember the guy's politics might be :yikes:? But v.worth it if you can pick it up cheap used?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

echinopsis posted:

node editing feels so powerful and manly

you are a weird dude

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

but is he right

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

you are a weird dude

my sense of humour isn’t really funny

I’m going for some kind of post-cringe

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
echi: original cringepunk

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://youtu.be/F_2EdnWHUNk

i’d like to think if I ever did stand up it was like this

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

as crazy as x86 decoding is, how much impact is it having on end performance? like the die area consumed by decoders isn’t that huge, especially since the cpu cores look small these days compared to cache/gpu/etc

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I mean obviously everything should just move back to POWER

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

DuckConference posted:

as crazy as x86 decoding is, how much impact is it having on end performance? like the die area consumed by decoders isn’t that huge, especially since the cpu cores look small these days compared to cache/gpu/etc

depends. the complex decoding takes a lot of power. power means heat, heat means reduced performance. it probably doesn’t affect the pure instructions per clock throughput directly, unless you miss a branch prediction and you have a longer pipeline to restart.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is there like a babies first instruction set or something? like a web tool for doing assembler but very simple?

management did you ever play TIS-100?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

When I was forced to take a course on assembly it was all using MIPS for being simple for child. I can't remember what tool we used for progamming in it though

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

echinopsis posted:

is there like a babies first instruction set or something? like a web tool for doing assembler but very simple?

management did you ever play TIS-100?

babbys first instruction set is probably mips. I’m sure you can find a thing for that, it’s commonly used in education. though maybe it’s riscv these days.

never played TIS-100.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

TIS-100 is cool and fun. but not *that* deeply related to any other matter discussed in this thread.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

No Mods No Masters posted:

When I was forced to take a course on assembly it was all using MIPS for being simple for child. I can't remember what tool we used for progamming in it though

do mips i. delay slots rule and are definitely an excellent idea

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

oh yeah, if there's one thing that is perennially cool in an instruction set it is encoding implementation details of its first implementation.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
The best part about learning MIPS was the rockstar programmers in class — who kept talking up how badass learning assembly was going to be — completely failing at the first take home assignment beyond “set up the simulator”.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

i liked sparc

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

The Management posted:

the stack based argument passing, the fact that instructions can only target certain registers, the legacy of direct memory accessing accumulator architecture still making up the primary programming model, the existence of extra registers that the compiler can never take advantage of, the insane variable length instruction encoding that makes it impossible to traverse an instruction stream backwards, or even really forwards unless you want to implement a full instruction decoder in software. oh, and the loving lack of broadcasting TLB maintenance ops.

for modern architectures, arm64 is pretty drat close to perfect. there are always trade offs, but it makes many of the right ones for an ISA designed for parallel, out of order, speculative execution.

as an assembly programmer I prefer armv7. the instructions are much more fun, it’s like a puzzle. arm64 is very boring and repetitive, with lower instruction density.

will apple begin to deviate from the arm instruction set (or does it already)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

oh yeah, if there's one thing that is perennially cool in an instruction set it is encoding implementation details of its first implementation.

is this like coding a compiler?

I need to do something like this one of these days

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

theadder posted:

will apple begin to deviate from the arm instruction set (or does it already)

no. Apple paid arm to create an instruction set that matched its microarchitecture plans, that’s what arm64 is. as an architecture licensee, they are contractually required to produce ISA-compatible cores.

there is a process for licensees to add their own instructions in the reserved instruction space, and there is a process to create instructions that will be rolled into the ISA. Apple has already done that. they added instructions for WKDM compression, which is used by the iOS kernel memory compressor. they’ve added the link register signing instructions, which performs a reversible transform on link register values to mitigate ROP attacks. and some others that I forget.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

we used SPIM

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
whats the good ipad to get

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

my sister just bought a iPad (7th gen) and then she got a pencil ($120) but I think they won’t work together? I think she needs the Apple Pencil ($100) instead? apple is a deeply troubled company

e: the first thing on the site where you choose your Apple Pencil version is a link to online chat support, incredible

Jenny Agutter fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 25, 2020

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

barkbell posted:

the most expensive one?? is this a joke :confused:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

barkbell posted:

don’t buy the iPad (regular). 2 year old chip is going to shorten the lifespan and the front camera is garbage.

iPad Air is good.
iPad Pro is better but way more expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

barkbell posted:

buy a refurb pro because the new one is exactly the same except for cameras and a bit more GPU but unless you’re planning on doing pre-viz for film/TV productions don’t bother