Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

eating only apples posted:

Jesus. That was some luck. One day I'll come out of a mission without needing 30 days of bedrest, I swear

At this rate, you should request a name change to "eating only enemy fire."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
This is why you need the bullshit things like mimetic beacon, because the only way to respond to bullshit the game throws at you is to respond with bullshit right back. I am legit surprised there wasn't a complete squad wipe at the first encounter.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It's still the FairGame touch: "oh this is a disaster we're gonna wipe," except no one dies.

Just, ah, the barracks is converted into an ICU. Better than a TPK, right?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

You’ll get your death, don’t worry.

I’m actually pretty pleased with some of the dramatic moments and meaningful deaths in this campaign.

I’m less pleased with the game’s performance; it ate another video. This time I have a savefile to replay it, but...I don’t want to. I’ll probably just add it as an addendum down the line.

Also as a heads up, I’m sick. Normal sick, not roni sick. But I will probably take a break and just sleep this weekend, so the one mission per day rate will end after tomorrow’s update.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

silentsnack posted:

Say that after I miraculously survive tanking an entire mission's worth of unlucky activations, then die to fall damage caused by a burning floor after all the enemies are down.

Or if the spark is the one receiving the Snack Experience, it'll be dying due to an acid/burning Avatar teleporting into cover behind bulwark.
I just meant more the "be the only one who can't take cover, get constantly beat up, spend a lot of time getting wrenched by Shen" part. "Die because you were sent out at half health when no one else on the roster could go" optional.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Missing a shot without breaking concealment: :shepface:
Missing a 91% shot on an enemy out of cover: :shepicide:

that's a 91% AND a 94% I've missed so far, god drat this game hates scout/snipers

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
If there's one thing this game does really well, it's giving you a visceral appreciation of the difference between 90% likely, 99% likely, and 100% likely.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

FairGame posted:

I’m actually pretty pleased with some of the dramatic moments and meaningful deaths in this campaign.

I was definitely not one those. Truly, I died before I even lived.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Dead Reckoning posted:

If there's one thing this game does really well, it's giving you a visceral appreciation of the difference between 90% likely, 99% likely, and 100% likely.

Yeah, come to think of it I'm pretty sure somebody else got "dodge: grazed" instead of a hit off a >90% shot at point blank that mission. It's like this game knows me, I'm awful at anything involving dice-rolling.

Use them or not, but I also don't get why mimic beacons are so overpowered - every time I've seen somebody use them, they soak up one, maybe two shots max before expiring. But come to think of it, when did we kill a faceless? I don't remember that...

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Crazy Achmed posted:

Use them or not, but I also don't get why mimic beacons are so overpowered - every time I've seen somebody use them, they soak up one, maybe two shots max before expiring. But come to think of it, when did we kill a faceless? I don't remember that...

We skipped out on the first terror mission but the second one there was a faceless, it just didn't get to do anything. There was a cutscene for it.

Also joining the ranks of "mimic beacons are good" for bullshit like last mission, they aren't anywhere near as broken as the thing we can get from the Viper King in my experience. They just die so quickly it becomes "take a soldier's turn to save a soldier's turn", they die in one or two hits from units who take one or two shots on their turn.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

Yeah, come to think of it I'm pretty sure somebody else got "dodge: grazed" instead of a hit off a >90% shot at point blank that mission. It's like this game knows me, I'm awful at anything involving dice-rolling.
Dodge works completely independent of the unit shooting. Once an attacking unit lands a hit, the unit getting shot gets to roll against its "Dodge" stat. A success means the incoming damage is halved(?). A patch made it so that 100% shots bypass dodge.

In WotC, you can abuse this for your own soldiers by stacking various +Dodge buffs (PCS, armor, covert ops) until almost all incoming damage is halved. Works a treat on Rangers, but really, by the endgame when you can set that up, if you're taking incoming fire, you're doing it wrong.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh, cool, I think I was confusing it with the weapon stocks that convert misses into chip damage. Regardless, having dodge proc on a 90% shot is such a kick in the balls.
I know I complain a lot, but yes, I do realise that so much of XCOM is about taking a situation where so much is stacked against you in an unfair way and managing to bend it over your knee through careful planning and superior tactics.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
That grenade at the end would've killed Deadford, he was on the floor there

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Man, Achmed made some pretty clutch shots this mission.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Berzerkers scare me because, barring Parry or similar shenanigans, you more or less need to kill them if they're within double move range, and as you said, they have a huge pile of HP to chew through. This means that other enemies get to act unmolested, which can be detrimental to the wellbeing of your squad.

Also, this LP got me to start an Ironman campaign of my own, and TIL that Skirmishers can get lightning reflexes as one of their cross class abilities, which is pretty great.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I promote so I can spend the next week in the infirmary. :xcom:

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Clearly the armour didn't have much impact on my accuracy as the Tactical Underpants were on underneath. I would've dodged the Zerker without the armour, though. Probably.

I hope you'll give me the axe when I recover. The aliens will be terrified of a well-oiled Englishman charging at them, chopper in hand. Just ask my wife, she'll be happy to confirm.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

FairGame posted:

I'm actually pretty pleased with some of the dramatic moments and meaningful deaths in this campaign.

Yeah the way I died was metal af, went down completing the mission :metal: :patriot:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Genuinely I cannot get over how often you use swords, that poo poo is madness to me. madness

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Really? Why not? You can use them after double-moving, they do good damage and are perfectly accurate with Blademaster. They also gently caress Sectoids right up.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

You seem to be both good at both getting into and out of terrible situations.

Edit: Also, this is XCOM2. Doing the 'Oh, I will sit back and do overwatch as they come to me' works okay in XCOM1, and very poorly in XCOM2.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Is there a reason that you didn't queue up another Proving Ground project?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are we behind on weapons research? It felt like everyone had a toy gun in that last mission.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Chuu posted:

Are we behind on weapons research? It felt like everyone had a toy gun in that last mission.

We are not. This is roughly where you'd be in a normal campaign anyway, it's just that legend aliens have way more HP.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The aliens unique to terror missions, faceless, berserkers, and lids have just truly obscene amounts of health. And because they are melee units who can’t take cover, they get a bonus to crit avoidance since otherwise they’d just get wrecked by endless flank bonuses. Meaning our previously strong strategy of “tier 2 shotguns at close range or flanks” just doesn’t churn out the necessary DPS like it does on every other mission.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

The sole reason I always get Skullmining is that it makes the Skulljack give +25 to hack power, and I have a silly fascination with controlling robots, even when it is clearly not the best move.

I also never don't go for "Control Random Enemy" even though it is tactically worse than useless. The comedy value is too high.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Akratic Method posted:

The sole reason I always get Skullmining is that it makes the Skulljack give +25 to hack power
This is the reason I go for it too. Converting Advent soldiers into intel loot crates is a nice bonus. Like you said, Fairgame, it's never worth going out of your way to do, but there are a lot of situations (like reinforcement pods) where you can often pick off two out of three soldiers from an Advent pod and be able to jack the third in relative safety while someone has a 100% shot lined up in case you fail.

Those little dribs and drabs of intel can really add up.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Deadford, nooo!

This wouldn't have happened if he hadn't been wearing all those layers.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Finally got caught up

Nickname: Servetus
Voice: Irish or Scottish accent
Class: Ranger, focused on Blademaster and mobility by preference. Likes moving fast and hitting things. If you have too many Rangers other options are fine.
Appearance: Man, blond hair, long on top with an undercut. No beard, cigar or sunglasses. Celtic Warrior face paint. No sleeves.

Servetus fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 9, 2020

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I got one of these in a late-game mission where the aliens blew up the device in three turns lol. I loving hate device protection, it's awful.

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.
Where we were, I didn't need eyes to see.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

I think the reason the game feels hardcoded to place 1~2 officers on most normal missions is because you need one to complete that central plot step. :thunk:

And once you've successvully brainspiked an officer, you'll notice almost every mission will have 1~3 codices as well.

Neither of these seems to apply to to missions with the 'horde' sitrep, which has zero advent/aliens so it's just xcom2's engine struggling to emulate They Are Billions via infinite lost spam.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

That went well! I really appreciate the enthusiasm the VA for Kaishai's voicepak put into everythingvthey say.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
The only time I ever cheated was on the historical mission where you have to protect a device and it starts surrounded by high level aliens who can easily blow it up before you can deal with them all.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Huh. On PC, you can cancel and re-order proving grounds projects at will.

I never bother with experimental grenades because IIRC, they all give up exploding cover in favor of adding maluses. I mostly use my grenadiers to remove cover, shred armor, and proc holo-targeting, so I actually do Muton autopsy as soon as I can fit it in.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 27, 2020

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

I never bother with experimental grenades because IIRC, they all give up exploding cover in favor of adding maluses. I mostly use my grenadiers to remove cover, shred armor, and proc holo-targeting, so I actually do Muton autopsy as soon as I can fit it in.

The maluses are pretty goddamned good, especially if you can tag more than one person with them. Poison is -30 aim and -6 movement iirc, and burning, as you've already seen, basically forces enemies to shoot or hunker since all of their other poo poo is turned off.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

Grenades trigger holo targeting? Bloody hell, how did I not know that before. That's potentially a lot of +15 aim to spread around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Hey, I just caught up with this LP! Is it too late to sign up to be a soldier?