Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate Kimetsu no Yaiba?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

idk I think you're making a lot of assumptions here based on nothing. actually most of the complaints about this arc seem to be based on assumptions. like "well the series was cancelled and that's why we don't get character arcs for snake guy or whoever!". but where's the proof of that?

I don't understand getting upset over how you assume things went down in editorial or how you think the author will follow follow current events up

Explain to me exactly which of my points are based on baseless assumption as opposed to rational conclusions based on understanding the structures of storytelling

Also the alternative to the idea that the series got pushed down a hill is that gotouge's just a lovely writer for hanging emotional payoffs to characters we didnt know and rapidly running through their sad flashbacks to get us to know then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

idk I think you're making a lot of assumptions here based on nothing. actually most of the complaints about this arc seem to be based on assumptions. like "well the series was cancelled and that's why we don't get character arcs for snake guy or whoever!". but where's the proof of that?

I don't understand getting upset over how you assume things went down in editorial or how you think the author will follow follow current events up

The manga has been in the endgame since December 2018 and the anime aired a year ago.
If the anime hadn't been such a huge hit and boosted the volume sales, the series would have ended last year. The Akaza and Douma backstories were mainly meant to postpone the end until the anime was done airing, except it blew up and Shueisha wanted to keep it's cash cow.

Top Manga Sales 2019 by May:
https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-n...f-2019-in-japan

Top Manga Sales 2019 by November:
https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2019/11/27/oricon-reports-demon-slayer-kimetsu-no-yaiba-is-top-selling-manga-series-of-2019

Kimetsu no Yaiba wasn't even in the Top 25 Tankobon sales in May, but was the No.1 series in total sales with 6 volumes in the Top 25 by November.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 8, 2020

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

Whether it ends here or there's a new arc this arc has been deeply unsatisfactory. I don't think I've been engaged with this manga since Azaka died.

:yeah:

I will embrace the journey than the destination though since most manga have terribly written endings so. I do want the series end sooner than later since dragging it would be an even greater disappointment to me.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Spoilers for next week's chapter.

Wani. Must you destroy everything we love?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATJYac_dORw

Delicious

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Chapter 202

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I mean, I didn't expect him to kill his sister and his friends so maybe there is still hope? Also, pulling out the 3rd vial of medicine lol

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't wait for Ufotable to turn this into a dramatic trial that'll leave me a broken man in 7 years.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

SPOILERS FOR NEXT WEEK:

TANJIROU SUCCESSFULLY TURNS BACK

HE AWAKES AS A HUMAN, ARM STILL RESTORED

SURROUNDED BY ALL HIS FRIENDS

KANAO IS FINE

TOTAL VICTORY

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Apparently the manga is ending on May 11th, so this will be the penultimate chapter.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

RatHat posted:

Apparently the manga is ending on May 11th, so this will be the penultimate chapter.

drat that's crazy, who could've seen it coming

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I told you all that Tanjirou is a good boy.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'm glad everyone ended up being happy even the cat.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

RatHat posted:

Thank god. Last time I fall for the shounen hype train

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

GorfZaplen posted:

Thank god. Last time I fall for the shounen hype train

Yeah the series was good fun, but man some parts just felt both painfully rushed yet slow at the same time. All in all, I am glad it got its happy ending and all and that its ending instead of being drawn out because $$$ or something.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So my grasp of this series has a gap from where the anime ended and the part of the final battle around the part where Tanjiro starts having flashbacks; how good of a shot does ufotable have of buffing out the rough spots with a future adaptation? Or is it core story poo poo that can't really be de-emphasized?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I feel like years down the line we're going to find out SJ either didn't like the series or didn't like dealing with the author to the point where they wanted it wrapped up sooner rather than later in spite of it's solid-and-then-exploding sales.Even as someone who's been perfectly content with this arc and thinks it's had some of the best moments of the series with Akaza, Kokushibo, and Doma + Yoriichi's stuff, there was something still just...off in regards to it.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it's not a matter of de-emphasization, if anything you would need to add more to the story. it's a problem of being rushed and skipping steps and pulling powerups from nothing

the red blade sucks so much poo poo. it's literally 'squeeze the sword hard and now you can hurt muzan, but also someone can just smack your sword with their red sword and now your sword's red too'

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Oh Snapple! posted:

I feel like years down the line we're going to find out SJ either didn't like the series or didn't like dealing with the author to the point where they wanted it wrapped up sooner rather than later in spite of it's solid-and-then-exploding sales.Even as someone who's been perfectly content with this arc and thinks it's had some of the best moments of the series with Akaza, Kokushibo, and Doma + Yoriichi's stuff, there was something still just...off in regards to it.

I 100% agree there being something off, but I really don't think it was Jump, at least not the way you're saying. Looking back on it, things have likely been on the wrap up since last year or the year before with how things were being rushed yet feeling slow like how the Red Light District arc felt so unbelievably long, yet that was only one fight. The coming into the next arcs we blaze right through getting very little on most of the pillars especially Kanroji and Obanai and their relationship feeling rushed. The sales were always middle of the road usually being in the 20's and rarely higher than that so it's possible sales were a factor, but mostly I think it's that Gotouge already had the ending rolling out and it was too late to course correct and the backstories for Akaza, Doma, Kokushibo, and Yoriichi were further fleshed out last minute to pad.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Patware posted:

it's not a matter of de-emphasization, if anything you would need to add more to the story. it's a problem of being rushed and skipping steps and pulling powerups from nothing

the red blade sucks so much poo poo. it's literally 'squeeze the sword hard and now you can hurt muzan, but also someone can just smack your sword with their red sword and now your sword's red too'

Yeah I basically zoned out there. The whole See-Through World also felt tacked on as did the overall blade colors thing.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't the red blades power-up at the very least hinted with how the Nichirin blades get their colors, though? I distinctly remember Tanjirou's angry blacksmith wishing his first sword had turned red.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they dropped that element very quickly. red swords are something different and innate sword colors never mattered. so his sword was black, so what? tanjirou went through like 4 swords anyway since he kept butting up against moons.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

there was clearly supposed to be something about the blade colors mattering, but those colors were only ever established as something that was set when the blade was first drawn. the only other thing that was ever established about them mattering is that black blades were supposed to be a bad omen but that never mattered.

hell didn't kyojuro have a red blade and it wasn't a big deal?

basically: i cannot come around to thinking of it as a hint. it was a dropped thread that gotouge scrambled to pick back up at the very end with no real build because muzan was written to be unreasonably powerful and needing three asspull powerups stacked together to be fought

EDIT: like to be clear i still really like a lot of the characters of KnY but the shounen battle manga components really fell apart really fast

Patware fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 25, 2020

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Patware posted:

there was clearly supposed to be something about the blade colors mattering, but those colors were only ever established as something that was set when the blade was first drawn. the only other thing that was ever established about them mattering is that black blades were supposed to be a bad omen but that never mattered.

hell didn't kyojuro have a red blade and it wasn't a big deal?

basically: i cannot come around to thinking of it as a hint. it was a dropped thread that gotouge scrambled to pick back up at the very end with no real build because muzan was written to be unreasonably powerful and needing three asspull powerups stacked together to be fought

EDIT: like to be clear i still really like a lot of the characters of KnY but the shounen battle manga components really fell apart really fast

Red Blades hamper Demon Regen. Also Kyojuro had an orange one.

Also the omen of the Black Blade was that the owner would not become a Hashira or rise up the ranks far.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Red Blades hamper Demon Regen.

i'm not particularly confused as to what the three asspull powerups do

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Alder posted:

I'm glad everyone ended up being happy even the cat.

Except Muzan, gently caress that guy and his dying wish epiphany. :colbert:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

So my grasp of this series has a gap from where the anime ended and the part of the final battle around the part where Tanjiro starts having flashbacks; how good of a shot does ufotable have of buffing out the rough spots with a future adaptation? Or is it core story poo poo that can't really be de-emphasized?

I feel like it's a pretty good chance. The stuff that takes pages and pages in a comic can take seconds or minutes in a show. I honestly feel like the last ten chapters or so could be a single episode because so much of it was just people fighting

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Chapter 203

Tanjirou is a good boy

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Everyone is good :unsmith:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Best part? Nezuko being all :yikes: "Wife? Ugh" Worst part? Poor Yushiro. :cry:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
This is a great ending that ties in with the overall themes of the manga.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the main theme is still "hey zenitsu, gently caress off"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Get hosed Muzan. :unsmith:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mr. Fowl posted:

This is a great ending that ties in with the overall themes of the manga.

Which were...?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

doomrider7 posted:

Which were...?

'anyone who turned into a demon just didn't want to not turn into a demon hard enough'

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

doomrider7 posted:

Which were...?
Tanjirou is a good boy. Inosuke is be(a)st boy. Muzan is a proto-fuccboi.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

That would have been more effective if Tanjirou had been a demon for more than a single chapter and had more of a rapport with Muzan

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I felt bad comparing end game kny to bleach but in hindsight it’s more than apt, if you took every good bit from this manga you’d get around the same amount of manga the soul society got (and everyone expects the anime to make it better)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think all of KnY is great, though it could still be better with more room to breathe (especially this last bit.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Sindai posted:

I think all of KnY is great, though it could still be better with more room to breathe (especially this last bit.)

:same: