Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am glad that the replay gives that AP boost. Did anyone finish that Chadley "all magic materia mastered" request in the first playthrough?

I almost did by grinding in the Shinra Battle Simulator after the "MAYOR IS BEST" segment, but I just couldn't do anymore Vs. Team Ragbag without wanting to slam my head into a wall. I settled for beating the game, then chapter selecting to 17 and doing... there's like this one battle gauntlet that leads off with you versus like a zillion bugaboos? I just killed all the bugaboos then gave up, refought them, gave up, etc.

You can kill the whole pack with one Blade Burst, it takes like three seconds, and it's worth like 50 AP or more if you have AP Up in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

guts and bolts posted:

First Strike, Healing, Revival, Time, Barrier, and Steadfast Block are all also extremely good but are an order of magnitude easier to level up. If anything I actually think your point is super correct in that level 1 Elemental is really good, but the incremental increase from 8% to 23% is like... good? But seventy-five hundred AP good?

I also think Elemental was kinda balanced around you picking a weapon for that character that also has the 10% increased Elemental efficacy, so you get to 33%. I mean don't get me wrong, yeah, Elemental rules. Just. 7500 AP. I had mine equipped on Cloud for I think the entire game of my first run after acquiring it during the sun lamp chapter. I think that's where it is? And I didn't master it until I was well on my way blasting through Hard

It's additive? I figured it was 1.1x the effect.

Argh, some things in the game are really vague. Like, the first time I saw "elemental materia improved", I was really unsure if it meant the literal Elemental materia or the elemental materias like fire, wind, etc.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Qrr posted:

Argh, some things in the game are really vague. Like, the first time I saw "elemental materia improved", I was really unsure if it meant the literal Elemental materia or the elemental materias like fire, wind, etc.

The ones that drove me kinda crazy were trying to parse exactly what Skill Master and ATB Assist are supposed to do. Synergy has a wonky, unintuitive explanation for what it does, but you can suss it out. How exactly does ATB Assist even work, at first glance? "Small ATB increase for ally when repeating command 2 times." So do I just do two commands, or do I have to do the same command twice to get the bonus, and does it have to be like a point character or an AI character? What if I use two ATB gauges but it isn't two commands, or...

Like the only way to figure it out is to just slot it in and pay extremely close attention to the UI

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Qrr posted:

That doesn't sound vague at all.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Do I really have to play through Chapter 9 AGAIN to get Aerith's Telluric Scriptures II? It's gonna be a slog going thru all the pre-coliseum stuff to get there.

anakha fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 25, 2020

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

anakha posted:

Di I really have to play through Chapter 9 AGAIN to get Aerith's Telluric Scriptures II? It's gonna be a slog going thru all the pre-coliseum stuff to get there.

Well, if you haven't yet gotten a dress for Cloud, now's a good time? :(

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Qrr posted:

And yet you get two Warding, which does very little before being mastered (50% reduction on the duration of instant death!) and takes a bajillion AP.

Speaking of how much AP things take, the battle challenge to max all magic materia was weird because it was actually just a challenge to max Revive, which took at least twice as much AP as anything else.

What do you mean 50% reduction? At max Warding with max Subversion it kept instant death from happening 100% of the time. All Tifa was taking was hit damage.

And I guess Revive takes so much because Arise gives you full HP on revival. I just repeated the beginning of Chapter 16 to max everything. And this is takling about 12 copies of Fire, Ice, Lightning, 4 of Healing, Cleansing, Revival, Poison, Barrier, Binding, Subversion, Time, 8 of HP up, MP up, Deadly Dodge and all the specific ones you can buy.

So! I did discover something on my last run. Haste is pretty good to have on characters and double cast Firaga with Aerith was hot drat on Shiva. Also -aga spells (at least Thundaga) on Bahamut make it falter. If I can get to that fight with more MP from Leviathan :argh: I think I've got a good chance. I got it down to half HP way faster than I did before.

Zaa Boogie fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 25, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/AnAnimeGiraffe/status/1253853092241694721

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Does max warding plus subversion stop the Tonberry instakills?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

I put together a smaller list of interesting things and oddities that come up during Chapter 3:

• After returning to Sector 7 you can hear some ambient dialogue where the Shinra Middle Manager is talking to his daughter and apparent wife. He's probably a resident. The day after, he's near Johnny's house talking with the other Shinra employees from the train about how they can best help combat terrorism, too. It's possible that Barret isn't just accosting random strangers when he hollers at them on the train during Chapter 2 - he might actually know these people. It could also be why Tifa goes out of her way to save the Middle Manager's life later on.
  • The anti-Avalanche guy you meet in Sector 7 calls Cloud a "mako junkie," which has some weird implications. Is mako an addictive substance? How does releasing the exhaust from the reactors into the open air above not immediately hook everyone in the city on mako? How does one become a "mako junkie" if prolonged exposure to mako renders you catatonic or turns you into a monster (or, if you're lucky, an anime superhero)?
  • Seventh Heaven specializes, apparently, in eggs & chips and pizza. I've only ever heard of the first dish as "chips and egg," not all that dissimilar from fish and chips - it's a UK thing. Apparently it became popular during World War I owing to a meat shortage, so maybe that's why it's popular in Sector 7.
  • When you're first being shown to your apartment by Tifa, Kyrie is in Sector 7 regaling a group of people with her tales of what it was like plate-side when the reactor blew up. (Her name comes up as "???" in the subtitles, but if you look around you'll see her.)
  • Johnny's father is probably the one responsible for Biggs getting grappling guns for the attack on Reactor 5 (he'll mention he has a surplus of the things if you talk to him in Chapter 3). It could be that he has at least an inkling as to what Tifa, Barret, and the Neighborhood Watch are up to, as he also mentions having "worked with" Seventh Heaven before. That could be why Tifa references Johnny having "his suspicions" about the gang being Avalanche - maybe his dad knows the score.
  • Wymer will lay down some foreshadowing during the sidequest to kill the Wrath Hound - he explicitly mentions rumors that a secret Shinra lab is somewhere below Sector 7, which the gang later discovers is true.
  • Much like every other RPG ever, characters will have only so much dialogue if you keep hitting the prompt to speak with them, and then begin looping their lines from the beginning. Curiously, during the scene where the gang shouts "Avalanche!" and reminisces about the good ol' days, it seems to save conversation progress even if you use chapter select to come back. Thus it will sometimes feel as if you are mid-discussion with some of the members of Avalanche even if you're on a fresh run of the chapter unless you remembered to complete the loop. This is kinda weird, as Tifa's two lines are pretty different in tone ("Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm going to spend time with the gang" versus "We'll talk later, I promise") and give two distinct impressions, if you're the kind of person who cares about the eternal love interest debate.
  • If you try to speak with one of the members of Avalanche while they are celebrating amongst themselves, they'll give you their brush-off dialogue and then say something to the effect of "Oh, what were you saying?" to their conversation partner. As cool attention paid to detail, they do not add that line if you wait until the second cheer of "Avalanche!" to speak to anybody, since they're done talking by then.
  • One last incidental tragedy for Chapter 3: Jessie's parents live on the plate of Sector 7. Her dad's name is Rowan Rasberry. If Jessie is still dead in the sequels, she died while believing the collateral damage caused in the reactor bombings was her fault instead of Shinra's, and her parents will have died with her.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

anakha posted:

Does max warding plus subversion stop the Tonberry instakills?

Sure seemed to. Everytime he stabbed Tifa when she had it on she just took 500+ damage.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Zaa Boogie posted:

Was when I was trying with Cloud, Tifa and Aerith. The trickiness comes in the fight after. I wanna have magnify/healing but Megaflare also makes me want to have magnify/barrier. Also Leviathan is weak against thunder.

A couple pages back but Magnify + Barrier and someone with Prayer (either Tifa to build gauge quickly or Barret for safety / less chance of interrupt, haven't played around to see which I like more yet) is the way to go imo. Manawall makes Tidal Wave kind of a joke - it knocked off like half my health when I first fought Leviathan and I was a little under level 30 at that point? If you've leveled up some, have better armor, and toss on an HP up materia, you could probably tank Tidal Wave even at like 1/3rd health.

And yeah, Elemental + Thunder weapon combos do a lot of work. I put them on Barret and Tifa since she seems to build stagger quicker than Cloud but that might also be an argument for putting it on Cloud instead to offset his lower stagger contribution.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

A couple pages back but Magnify + Barrier and someone with Prayer (either Tifa to build gauge quickly or Barret for safety / less chance of interrupt, haven't played around to see which I like more yet) is the way to go imo. Manawall makes Tidal Wave kind of a joke - it knocked off like half my health when I first fought Leviathan and I was a little under level 30 at that point? If you've leveled up some, have better armor, and toss on an HP up materia, you could probably tank Tidal Wave even at like 1/3rd health.

And yeah, Elemental + Thunder weapon combos do a lot of work. I put them on Barret and Tifa since she seems to build stagger quicker than Cloud but that might also be an argument for putting it on Cloud instead to offset his lower stagger contribution.

The latest build I've been doing I hurt Leviathan so bad and so fast that Tidal Wave never becomes a thing. He goes straight into Tidal Roar after staggering and the onslaught that comes with that. Right now I'm working on trying to take out Bahamut before he does Megaflare. I did pretty good last time I tried but then I decided to try and take out Ifrit real quick when it got summoned and whoops that was a mistake! I might try Prayer again instead of magnify cure since haste helps with ATB charging.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

guts and bolts posted:

I put together a smaller list of interesting things and oddities that come up during Chapter 3:

• After returning to Sector 7 you can hear some ambient dialogue where the Shinra Middle Manager is talking to his daughter and apparent wife. He's probably a resident. The day after, he's near Johnny's house talking with the other Shinra employees from the train about how they can best help combat terrorism, too. It's possible that Barret isn't just accosting random strangers when he hollers at them on the train during Chapter 2 - he might actually know these people. It could also be why Tifa goes out of her way to save the Middle Manager's life later on.
Nah, he's not a resident. All the people are complaining about how the state of emergency is preventing them from going home, and how tons of grounders talk about how plate-dwellers are being forced to live in the Sector 7 slums during the emergency (and how they find that funny). Dude probably lives in Sector 1 or 8, and he and his family got evacuated.

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

Aerith's english VA is streaming the remake on twitch right now - she's just at the moment when Cloud and Aerith meet up for the second time: https://www.twitch.tv/thestrangerebel. Good commentary on all kinds of aspects of the game, not just the VA bit!

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Beefstew posted:

Nah, he's not a resident. All the people are complaining about how the state of emergency is preventing them from going home, and how tons of grounders talk about how plate-dwellers are being forced to live in the Sector 7 slums during the emergency (and how they find that funny). Dude probably lives in Sector 1 or 8, and he and his family got evacuated.

That's possible, but if that were the case I don't know why his wife and daughter would be in Sector 7's slums, as I don't think Sector 7's slums absorbed all of the "platies" displaced by the reactor attack. His family would probably still be plate-side, you'd think; Jessie's family is still up there after all. I think either idea is plausible, I guess. It's stated as well in the same chapter that several people (even the ones who put on suits and ties to go to work) employed by Shinra commute from the slums.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

guts and bolts posted:

Jessie's family is still up there after all.

Well, I mean, they were up there.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Mulva posted:

Well, I mean, they were up there.

woof

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

RedFlag posted:

Aerith's english VA is streaming the remake on twitch right now - she's just at the moment when Cloud and Aerith meet up for the second time: https://www.twitch.tv/thestrangerebel. Good commentary on all kinds of aspects of the game, not just the VA bit!

Crossposting for the part everyone is waiting for:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I watched the Pat Stares At playthrough of the game and I love that when kyrie first steps off the train in the background when you first arrive at sector seven slums, his immediate reaction was "who the gently caress is that clearly unique npc and why does she look like marie/poochie from persona 4 golden"

Rhonne posted:

Aerith will die when the truck that was supposed to hit Palmer hits her by mistake.
I Was Supposed To Save The World But Instead A Truck Sent Me To The Disneyverse!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I can't wait for the PC version in a year so people can model swap Aerith's weapons into folding chairs.
Model swap aerith and tifa and replace tifa's glove models with a folding chair hand

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i missed kyrie's first appearance but the moment i saw her and her stupid loving stockings i though "oh i hate this horrible nomura girl"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I would also accept part two with a melee folding chair weapon for her

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

i missed kyrie's first appearance but the moment i saw her and her stupid loving stockings i though "oh i hate this horrible nomura girl"

There is a character in the newest FF14 raid and my first reaction was "What is this character that looks like Lulu with the personality of Squall"

And then I saw "Guest Design by Tetsuya Nomura"

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

I don't know why but when I looked through the clips of Briana White playing FF7R I saw one of them was titled "Please dont cry Aerith it took us 23 years but we will save you" and it got me, like, right in the left ventricle

gently caress it I'm on Team Aerith now, time to run through the game again

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There is a character in the newest FF14 raid and my first reaction was "What is this character that looks like Lulu with the personality of Squall"

Gaia is Nomura's best work, look at this fuckin hammer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fuIZXXT7Rs&t=4159s

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

guts and bolts posted:

I don't know why but when I looked through the clips of Briana White playing FF7R I saw one of them was titled "Please dont cry Aerith it took us 23 years but we will save you" and it got me, like, right in the left ventricle

gently caress it I'm on Team Aerith now, time to run through the game again

If poo poo like this gets Tifa murdered, I will hold you singularly responsible.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Beefstew posted:

If poo poo like this gets Tifa murdered, I will hold you singularly responsible.

Fair. Goddamn it I CANNOT PICK. It's Barret time baby

tonight in Cool poo poo I Literally Beat The Game Without Knowing About - pressing Options while you're on the map screen brings up a wireframe map of Midgar. It is useless but extremely loving cool. This game loving owns so hard.

real talk though I'm seriously concerned for Tifa's future safety, what is the easiest way for the writing staff to generate an enormous amount of pathos? Tifa dies, Aerith blames herself, everyone is miserable

e: there's more ambient dialogue in Chapter 4 about "secret reactor jobs" that even people in the slums are allowed to do! I sure hope it isn't, oh, dropping me into a vat of liquid nuclear magic and turning me into H0512, ha ha ha!

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 25, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
clearly the answer is to kill them both

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Let everyone live.

At this point it is genuinely more subversive to dangle a cookie in front of the viewer and then just let them have it with no strings attached

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

guts and bolts posted:

Fair. Goddamn it I CANNOT PICK. It's Barret time baby

tonight in Cool poo poo I Literally Beat The Game Without Knowing about : pressing Options while you're on the map screen brings up a wireframe map of Midgar. It is useless but extremely loving cool. This game loving owns so hard.

real talk though I'm seriously concerned for Tifa's future safety, what is the easiest way for the writing staff to generate an enormous amount of pathos? Tifa dies, Aerith blames herself, everyone is miserable

It would completely undermine the themes of FF7 for cheap shock value and subversion for subversion's sake.
So given what we've seen so far, it is a distinct possibility. :v:
Looking forward to them taking writing tips from Star Trek: Into Darkness.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Just like the well known fact that Yoko Taro likes big asses, Tetsuya Nomura's preferences are well documented when you look at his work.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Sapozhnik posted:

Let everyone live.

Not an empty quote, don't care how much of a baby it makes me. Let everyone live. Golden route FF7 here we come baybeeeeee

Like, replaying again (again), it surprises me how much I like the Avalanche characters, Biggs especially. The scene where Jessie catches Cloud smiling and he has to cover it up is the greatest. I just want all of my peoples to be happy instead of dead, like Jessie and probably Wedge :smith:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

clearly the answer is to kill them both

Mods?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Sapozhnik posted:

Let everyone live.

Looking forward to the next installment of FF7 just being a ripoff of Until Dawn. Let everyone die!

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

I never talked to Wedge after dropping him off at his house post-BASE jump.

The... the cats' full names... are Biggumus Rex, Reginaldo, and Mister Smalls...

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

homeless snail posted:

Gaia is Nomura's best work, look at this fuckin hammer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fuIZXXT7Rs&t=4159s

yeah but she makes you watch that long-rear end cutscene every time you do the fight so she's the worst

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I'm not about this "golden ending" poo poo. I've played Mortal Kombat 9, I know where that path leads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z_pJr3CERw

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Who is the Obviously Evil Rayden in this scenario though

Also: Biggs absolutely does imply that Wutai is funding Avalanche, which I forgot - I thought it was strictly Shinra propaganda, though it could still be. Barret seems to vehemently disagree with the notion when he confronts the President, but now that there's a main branch and Barret's Bustin'-heads Brigade to delineate between I guess it's possible Wutai will be pretty different from the post-WW2 Japan allegory it was in OG FF7. Which, bring it on, maybe that kicks rear end.

I think it's weird that there are trophies tied to minigames that are so isolated, though. Darts can only be played twice - once while you're waiting for the Avalanche meeting to conclude, and once after the Whisper encounter but before you board the train for the second bombing mission. Squats are chapter 9 only, I think and pull-ups chapter 14 only. I have to assume they're not going to do an overworld map, given how mightily the engine already struggles to render the stuff in a crowded, cramped urban environment, so they're likely to do FF10/FF12-style connective-tissue field maps filled with enemies between towns or plot destinations, but that means that OG FF7's most memorable sidequest/minigame (chocobo breeding) would be maybe rendered moot? So here's hoping they just go fuckin' buckwild with Gold Saucer activities

Give me Shenmue/Yakuza-style games-within-the-game to play. I wanna play Rad Racer and Bushido Blade in the arcade, and then go gamble on chocobo races, and play fuckin' pachislot games to collect action figures of the Front Mission 3 robots, and do some goddamn snowboarding and G-Bike and I just want minigames goddamn it

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Wall Market has got me extremely hyped for how they're gonna do the Golden Saucer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Wall Market has got me extremely hyped for how they're gonna do the Golden Saucer.

Me too.