Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I want to thank whoever it was that recommended Barton Springs Mill earlier in this thread - they started running a quality shipping rebate so I got two big bags of ~fancy~ flour and paid three dollars for the shipping when all was said and done. It took about eight days to get here, though, and most of that was escaping from Dripping Springs and getting to Austin.

The TAM 105 is a nice high-gluten hard red winter wheat with a slight sour undertone, really good for sourdoughs, no-kneads, and pizza dough; the All-Purpose Premium Blend made really good cookies and would probably also be good for sandwich breads and brioche-type breads.

Our actual local flour mills are all pickup-only at the moment. Feels kind of weird to go back to Texas like this. But hey, flour!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

Like here’s my most recent ugly prototype loaf.

Tastes . . . Ok. Want it a bit more sour. Not sure if I need to let the starter sit longer after feeding or use more or maybe let the dough sit longer before baking. This was maybe a day after feeding and sitting on the counter and then about 12 hours of the dough doing it’s thing.

Inside was ok. Nice and spongy, if a bit dense. I think I deflated it moving containers so whatever. I’ll worry about that once i get the taste where I want.

If you need it to be even more sour you can add citric acid or "sour salt". You only need ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon per loaf.

You can also use that to add kick to citrus or sour dishes or curdle milk if you're making fresh ricotta.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Has anybody experimented with the the tangzhong technique? It's where you cook some of the flour with liquid like you're making a roux paste before mixing it with the rest of the ingredients. I only did it recently with some cinnamon rolls, and we were reheating them anyways. I may have gotten a little more time out of them regardless. I'm curious how well it has extended the life on your bread.

I used that method when making dinner rolls and they had more spring and held up pretty well.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Has anybody experimented with the the tangzhong technique? It's where you cook some of the flour with liquid like you're making a roux paste before mixing it with the rest of the ingredients. I only did it recently with some cinnamon rolls, and we were reheating them anyways. I may have gotten a little more time out of them regardless. I'm curious how well it has extended the life on your bread.

Tangzhong keeps bread soft longer, but it also changes the crumb pretty significantly. I like it a lot for sandwich bread or other soft breads - cinnamon rolls would be a perfect application. The crumb becomes soft, tight, and even; with tangzhong and some added dough conditioner, you can approach supermarket bread. Rub butter on top of the loaf and put it in a plastic bag while still barely warm then let it rest overnight, it'll have an even more tender crust.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

King Arthur Flour has what looks like a sensible one.

I wish to complain. Last night I reached for a loaf of my bread to cut a slice, and I got a splinter in my finger that drew blood. I mean, really.

Protip: Use their shaping technique, but make challah instead.

Challah is the superior sandwich structural component every time.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 25, 2020

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Give me your best sourdough sammich bread recipes.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Liquid Communism posted:

Protip: Use their shaping technique, but make challah instead.

Challah is the superior sandwich structural component every time.

Braided hot dog buns? Interesting.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I've brought this up before, but imo you don't need to do much to a standard white dough to make an enriched dough suitable for sandwich bread or cinnamon rolls, etc.

My standard white bread dough (which I use for everything from boules to pizza crust) is 65-70% hydration, 2.5% salt, 1% yeast. To enrich it, I'll add ~ 5% milk or buttermilk powder (the latter especially for dinner rolls, but if you don't have any you can use buttermilk instead of water) and usually a big knob of whatever butter I have at room temp. Sometimes I'll add eggs at 2 eggs per kilo of flour. Maybe some malt or honey, but those are pretty rare additions. If you're using a starter or other pre-ferment, just remove some of the flour and moisture (or don't, it doesn't matter too much).

The enriched dough is good for buns, sandwiches, cinnamon rolls, savoury spirals, what have you.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Braided hot dog buns? Interesting.

I mean you -could- braid 'em, but you don't have to.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I made some Dutch oven bread. I used a mix of bread flour, all-purpose flour, and wheat flour, and gave it an overnight refrigerator rise. I wanted to add something to it, so I added a “looks about right” of cranberries. My word, was that the right call. The cranberries are amazing. They are exactly the right amount of sweet spread throughout the bread. The crust is perfect. This little experiment was an unqualified success.

Here it is with some homemade butter I whipped up.

I do not know how the heck I am going to stop myself from eating the whole drat thing today.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My starter is on day 5 and it isn’t expanding anymore. I’m getting bubbles and about 2mm of liquid on top every 12 hours. It seems weird because it doubled in size on day 2. I also started feeding it twice a day since yesterday morning, spaced out every 12 hours. I’m doing a 1:1:1 ratio, 120g each of all purpose, water and starter. First feeding ever was King Arthur whole wheat flour.

Is this normal?
Was the crazy early growth an initial stage of bacteria growth that passed?
Should I wait for growth to feed it?
While transferring and discarding, the liquid mixes back into it. Should I spoon this off the top instead of allowing it to mix back in?

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I have a delitainer half full of sourdough started I made using the starter from Carl Griffith’s mail away group that gifts starter. I’ve been using it on and off for several months. I’m currently feeding it, cup of flour and cup of water, and letting it ferment up next to the stove light. To gift this to someone, I’m assuming the I would just pull some and feed it the same way in a separate container and let it ferment up for a few days. Any suggestions on how much of my starter to add to the new batch and if I should do anything differently?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i have a question. i'm trying to make no-yeast bread because there is no yeast anywhere, i've only made bread once before and it was last week and it was this.

kneading/shaping the bread seems absolutely impossible, its just way too loose and sticky. i've floured my flat surface, my hands, the whole deal, and its still impossibly sticky (like a solid half of the dough is attached firmly to my hands within 15 seconds). is this just a reality of no yeast poo poo or am i badly missing something.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

Farg posted:

i have a question. i'm trying to make no-yeast bread because there is no yeast anywhere, i've only made bread once before and it was last week and it was this.

kneading/shaping the bread seems absolutely impossible, its just way too loose and sticky. i've floured my flat surface, my hands, the whole deal, and its still impossibly sticky (like a solid half of the dough is attached firmly to my hands within 15 seconds). is this just a reality of no yeast poo poo or am i badly missing something.

What recipe are you using? When I’ve done no-yeast breads they’ve always been quick breads where no kneading was required. You just combine wet and dry ingredients and pour it into a greased pan to cook.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Staryberry posted:

What recipe are you using? When I’ve done no-yeast breads they’ve always been quick breads where no kneading was required. You just combine wet and dry ingredients and pour it into a greased pan to cook.

https://kirbiecravings.com/no-yeast-bread/

was using this. basically just ended up being a case of sliding/schlorping it into a parchment paper lined breadpan and cooking it. tastes fine given the ingredients but i wasn't sure if i was missing something.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Rolo posted:

My starter is on day 5 and it isn’t expanding anymore. I’m getting bubbles and about 2mm of liquid on top every 12 hours. It seems weird because it doubled in size on day 2. I also started feeding it twice a day since yesterday morning, spaced out every 12 hours. I’m doing a 1:1:1 ratio, 120g each of all purpose, water and starter. First feeding ever was King Arthur whole wheat flour.

Is this normal?
While transferring and discarding, the liquid mixes back into it. Should I spoon this off the top instead of allowing it to mix back in?

Oh snap I just found out the flour I’ve been using is bleached.

Should I start over or just switch what I’m feeding it with?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Rolo posted:

Oh snap I just found out the flour I’ve been using is bleached.

Should I start over or just switch what I’m feeding it with?

I feed my starter every day with bleached. It's fine.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ok awesome because I like this flour. I’m going to give it another 5 days.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Just made another batch of white bread and this one turned out great. Very light and fluffy. I think I didn't knead the last one enough

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 26, 2020

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Farg posted:

Would you like me to ship you some?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Farg posted:

Maybe add a bit more flour? If it’s that sticky it might just be too wet.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

bartlebee posted:

I have a delitainer half full of sourdough started I made using the starter from Carl Griffith’s mail away group that gifts starter. I’ve been using it on and off for several months. I’m currently feeding it, cup of flour and cup of water, and letting it ferment up next to the stove light. To gift this to someone, I’m assuming the I would just pull some and feed it the same way in a separate container and let it ferment up for a few days. Any suggestions on how much of my starter to add to the new batch and if I should do anything differently?

Yeah that works. I don't treat the offshoots (buds?) any different than the starter it came from. Just make sure it is recently fed and is growing fast before giving if the person is not experienced with sourdough.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rolo posted:

Is this normal?

I'm in a similar boat only I'm just adding 1 to 1. day 5 it smells a ton less vomity and is starting to foam a bunch. so I guess stick with it.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Would you like me to ship you some?

First of all, I would like to say, What the Actual gently caress is wrong with those shelves?

Secondly, swapped my hour rise in a warm place for 4-5 hours in the fridge, with a second rise at room temp of 1 1/2 hours after shaping.
Worlds. Better.

I might actually produce a loaf worth sharing before this poo poo show comes to an end.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Hopes Fall posted:

First of all, I would like to say, What the Actual gently caress is wrong with those shelves?

It's 2 pictures, it took me a little bit to realize that. At first I thought they were raiding a store after the bombs dropped.

I think the euro-centric grocery I often go to carries that brand, I'll have to check for it next time I'm there. They also have some brand with a terrifying leprechaun on it, so hopefully I can avoid that.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
Does anyone have a strategy for white bread with yeast starters (thanks shortage)?

My rise times are crazy long at room temperature (75F+ these days) if I use 10-20% of 1:1 starter in 18 oz of flour. If I let it rise for 4 hours, shape, 4 hours again, the bread does nothing and comes out revoltingly dense and inedible. If I let the first rise go for 20 hours, I get something that looks much better, it has over-risen, but I have to sleep sometime and I know 10 hours wasn't enough. Leaving eggs and milk to rot at room temperature for 20+ hours seems like a bad idea. If I scale this to a refrigerator rise, I'm looking at ~1 week of rising, which isn't acceptable to me and I don't think it will work anyway. If I use more starter the dough gets slack and gooey, not bread-like at all. This is shockingly similar to a problem I had earlier in the thread, where my lazy-rear end yeast wouldn't do anything in a warm, moist, flour-filled environment, that I corrected by buying yeast. I can't do that now, so what do I do?

I guess what I can do is use more starter, refreshed the night before so it can do its 10+ hour whatever-the-hell and then use lots of it in the bread at the cost of milk. But, I'm tired of throwing away bread, well, flour and other ingredients that could have been bread. And the richness of the bread will be reduced by using more water than milk. I guess I can buy dried milk and mix it in with the eggs and butter?

MickeyFinn fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 26, 2020

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Unique little snowflake that I am I've got a sourdough starter on the go. Started 50/50 bread flour and water, 100g each. Day two saw some bubbles, topped up about 50g each. Today I've seen the level go up maybe an inch over the morning, and fed with 25g each. I've not discarded any yet, definitely will but I'm aware of the quantity I'll need for loaves, and also that we've not seen flour in stores for a while. Is it okay to retain this much whilst feeding?

I'm pleased with progress so far, very noticeable rise this morning and it started to smell like weird yoghurt.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

FYI anyone not able to find flour, go to a costco if you can. My local grocery stores are post-apocalyptic in the shortages in the baking aisle, but Costco had enough 25 pound sacks of flour to start a bakery. Didn't see any yeast (I don't think they carry it normally) but also tons of sugar.

Note that if you don't have a membership you can buy a costco gift card for yourself, pay with that at the register, and use a credit card for anything over what you have on the card. Note that they only take Visa.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
Made another bread. Much better than the last loaf I let bulk ferment for three days in the fridge.

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007
Like just about everyone else, I've been practicing making sourdough while I'm working from home. I've gone from this first attempt which was probably over-hydrated, and I was completely unable to shape properly:

And eventually moved to making tin loafs because I don't own any bannetons, and got this 75% hydration loaf I'm super proud of:

The crumb has just the combination of chewy and airy that I wanted to make, the only thing i'm not quite satisfied with is the thickness of the crust.

Does anyone have any tips for making the side/bottom crust of a tin loaf thicker? One difference is that I've tried both putting the tin in a dutch oven to trap steam, and putting it straight into the oven with a tray of water to create steam. But having the loaf directly out of a dutch oven very quickly makes the top heavily browned so I feel like I need to play with the temperature to avoid that.

Edit:

dedian posted:

Made another bread. Much better than the last loaf I let bulk ferment for three days in the fridge.

That's a fantastic looking boule!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Unique little snowflake that I am I've got a sourdough starter on the go. Started 50/50 bread flour and water, 100g each. Day two saw some bubbles, topped up about 50g each. Today I've seen the level go up maybe an inch over the morning, and fed with 25g each. I've not discarded any yet, definitely will but I'm aware of the quantity I'll need for loaves, and also that we've not seen flour in stores for a while. Is it okay to retain this much whilst feeding?

I'm pleased with progress so far, very noticeable rise this morning and it started to smell like weird yoghurt.

Discarding is very important because otherwise the sourdough dies in its own waste products.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Bizarro Buddha posted:

The crumb has just the combination of chewy and airy that I wanted to make, the only thing i'm not quite satisfied with is the thickness of the crust.

Does anyone have any tips for making the side/bottom crust of a tin loaf thicker? One difference is that I've tried both putting the tin in a dutch oven to trap steam, and putting it straight into the oven with a tray of water to create steam. But having the loaf directly out of a dutch oven very quickly makes the top heavily browned so I feel like I need to play with the temperature to avoid that.

Dangerous speculation: I think the tin-side crust keeps thin and chewy because it isn't allowed to dry out and isn't directly exposed to the dry heat of the oven. Maybe pop the loaf out of the tin for the last 5-10 minutes? The dutch-oven people here are constantly debating temperature vs lid removal vs time for crust quality, so I'd think the same applies here.

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007

MickeyFinn posted:

Dangerous speculation: I think the tin-side crust keeps thin and chewy because it isn't allowed to dry out and isn't directly exposed to the dry heat of the oven. Maybe pop the loaf out of the tin for the last 5-10 minutes? The dutch-oven people here are constantly debating temperature vs lid removal vs time for crust quality, so I'd think the same applies here.

Yeah that's worth a try, I could try flipping it over and propping it up somehow to reduce the over-browning on the top too... I'll try that with the loaf I have fermenting in the fridge.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

By the way, speaking of discard recipes, I found a sourdough pancake one that doesn't require an overnight rise, but still has a lovely sourdough flavor. https://www.theperfectloaf.com/my-top-3-leftover-sourdough-starter-recipes/ theperfectloaf.com is in general a pro click.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I loafed:

First sourdough loaf, created the starter about 2 weeks ago. No knead, 14 hour rise. The inside had more moisture than it should have, next time I'll try a lower temp for longer. Tasted good though!

User Error fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 26, 2020

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

dough conditioner
Tell me more about this thing you humans call "dough conditioner." I'm looking for something that can extend my bread a few more days so that I can go week-to-week with usable bread. My current bread goes to poo poo after four days. Now, I also do want to make supermarket buns so I want some softeners too, but I'd like to control that separately.

Edit: I don't need anything to help me work the dough and get the gluten going. I got... equipment for that.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

dedian posted:

Tell me your process. I've been cold bulking for 3 days and I'm getting an OK spring, so this next batch is going to be 2 days. I'd like to warm bulk and then cold proof but we don't have enough fridge space for the large-ish quantities that I make

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I tried some plague breads, mostly doing the Bittman style no knead recipes. This is my first time ever making bread.

Also throwing in these Sour Cream & Onion biscuits from Bon Appetit

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Man I want to try those biscuits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Tell me more about those rolls