Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Stickman posted:

I still don’t understand who would want one of these over a 1600 AF, but I assume they’ll be marketed as “BETTER AT GAMES” (to budget gamers on a 60Hz monitor).

I don't want to have to sort through having to get an AF specifically, and a 3600 is outside of my price range, and I *am* on a 60Hz monitor, so... me I guess? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

To be fair, they probably *will* be better at games at least for the immediate future, which is why I thought one of the potential use cases is someone building a gaming pc now but who knows they'll want to upgrade to zen3 which AMD says is coming later this year.

3100 now, then drop in a hypothetical 4600/4700(x) in November doesn't sound so bad.

Edit: although I guess if you were willing to pay 9900k money for probably 9900k gaming performance you could just... buy a 9900k now so I guess it's a dumb idea after all.

VorpalFish fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 24, 2020

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Placeholder makes sense, but it's not likely to be a noticeable difference for gaming unless you have a high-refresh monitor, at which point you'll probably be getting a better processor anyway.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't want to have to sort through having to get an AF specifically, and a 3600 is outside of my price range, and I *am* on a 60Hz monitor, so... me I guess? :v:

That's fair enough - the AF isn't exactly widely advertised or distributed. It is super easy to get when it's in stock, though.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

VorpalFish posted:

Edit: although I guess if you were willing to pay 9900k money for probably 9900k gaming performance you could just... buy a 9900k now so I guess it's a dumb idea after all.

it'll probably be closer to 8700K or 10700K money for 9900K/10700K performance. Also, it'll be immeasurably easier to cool, there's no denying that the 9900K/10700K is a toasty boi and needs some pretty serious cooling or even delidding+lapping or direct die cooling (which you should farm out to siliconlottery or rockit cool for $60, not worth the risk to DIY a soldered processor at home).

at this point I wouldn't buy a 9900K, the point of the 9900K was that you could have 4700X performance two years earlier, even with the 9900K occasionally dipping to $400-420 I'd just wait it out at this point.

Get a 1600AF or a 3100/3300X if you are dying to build the system right this second, but if your current system can still hang in there like at all, just hold on and wait, the "placeholder" thing is a bit of a waste of money.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 24, 2020

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

yeah i wouldnt buy anything right now unless you absolutely have to, honestly. i know people always say that, but this really is one of those times. Intel's new stuff is getting announced in like 6 days with big price cuts, which will likely trigger some AMD price cuts too.

And then Zen 3 a bit further out.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 24, 2020

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Cygni posted:

Yup. Especially when you consider that the boxed cooler will absolutely cost more on the BOM than the compute die in the chip will. The silicon is the cheap part. The total cost to make a Athlon 3300G and a 3800X are roughly identical, probably in the neighborhood of $40. So these parts mostly exist for market segmentation reasons (trying to scoop up all the customers, including OEM, that couldn't be convinced to buy a $160 3600), which pisses a lot of people off but thats how the market survives I guess.

A similar funny story is about how the cheapest "base" package of any given car model is nearly always the most expensive version to produce for the company, due to the limited amount they sell and the need to re-tool/re-train/re-source parts to make em.

I'm guessing this is why AMD is actually happy to constantly drop prices when a new gen gets out. I've observed the low end SKUs for a gen only exist as long as a new gen hasn't been released, then they disappear into obscurity almost immediately after. But dropping a 3600 to $120 probably makes them more money than selling a 3300X at $120 and applies considerable pressure to Intel. Actually I think the 3100 and 3300X are a telegraph in how low they're willing to sell any Zen2 processor for, so ~$120 3600s a couple months after the 4600 releases at $200 is probably really likely.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Think they'll EOL 14nm Zen when 4000 parts get announced?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Since my Ryzen 3 2200G + B450 mainboard has issues getting to boot with 4 sticks of RAM at speeds above 2133MHz—have tried different timing combinations with limited to zero success—would upgrading to a Ryzen 4xxx series CPU potentially remedy that? Or is running 4 sticks of RAM in daisy chain simply that limiting?

[edit] As an aside, when I looked at the RAM modules in CPU-Z, two of the sticks' DRAM were manufactured by Samsung, and the other two by SK Hynix. Would that also potentially cause issues when trying to run all 4 sticks at higher clocks? Or does DRAM manufacturer not typically matter? All 4 sticks are Corsair Vengeance with matching part numbers.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 25, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

teagone posted:

Since my Ryzen 3 2200G + B450 mainboard has issues getting to boot with 4 sticks of RAM at speeds above 2133MHz—have tried different timing combinations with limited to zero success—would upgrading to a Ryzen 4xxx series CPU potentially remedy that? Or is running 4 sticks of RAM in daisy chain simply that limiting?

[edit] As an aside, when I looked at the RAM modules in CPU-Z, two of the sticks' DRAM were manufactured by Samsung, and the other two by SK Hynix. Would that also potentially cause issues when trying to run all 4 sticks at higher clocks? Or does DRAM manufacturer not typically matter? All 4 sticks are Corsair Vengeance with matching part numbers.

Raven Ridge (the 2xxxG ryzens) is a first-gen Zen core and memory controller which were bad, but if it can't even do basic DDR 2666 then something is wrong. I'd try going in and re-seating the ram to make sure there isn't some connection that's barely working.

(Note that the true MHz is half the DDR speed -- ex 3200 ram runs at 1600 actual MHz. Hopefully you're not trying to OC ram using MHz instead of DDR speed.)

Ram modules from different manufactures shouldn't be a problem if they've got the same specs. Corsair's habit of changing them with semi-hidden version numbers on the same model is kinda sucky for OCers who want specific stuff that OCs the best, but any of them should do the rated speed.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Klyith posted:

Raven Ridge (the 2xxxG ryzens) is a first-gen Zen core and memory controller which were bad, but if it can't even do basic DDR 2666 then something is wrong. I'd try going in and re-seating the ram to make sure there isn't some connection that's barely working.

(Note that the true MHz is half the DDR speed -- ex 3200 ram runs at 1600 actual MHz. Hopefully you're not trying to OC ram using MHz instead of DDR speed.)

Oh yeah, I know how the double data rate frequencies work, haha. My motherboard conveniently has preset OC timings for me to set in the BIOS (under a setting called MSI Memory Try It!), though I never tried any of the preset timings slower than 2933 MHz. Entering the timings manually didn't make a difference either. I'm also sure I could boot the 4 sticks at 2666MHz just fine, but I was more so trying to go after RAM speeds closer to what I paid for (3200). Running 4 sticks at CAS 16 2933 MHz would boot sometimes, but 3066/3200 would always fail, no matter the timings.

In the end, for now, I'm just running 2 sticks at the 3200 MHz XMP profile, which works no problem. Was thinking that maybe if I just upgrade the CPU to a desktop Renoir chip, I could slot the extra 2x8GB sticks back in and maybe then I'd be able to run all 4 sticks at 3200 MHz. Otherwise I'd likely just sell the extra RAM or something, heh.

[edit] That said, I'll re-slot the RAM in again this weekend and see if maybe the inconsistent booting when running 4 sticks at 2933 MHz was maybe due to one of the sticks not being properly seated.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Seamonster posted:

Think they'll EOL 14nm Zen when 4000 parts get announced?
It's already EOL, hence the new 1600 and 1200 parts on 12nm.

Unless if you mean the entire process itself, then it's not likely because of the WSA with Global Foundries requiring wafers sold till i think 2023 or 2025?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

teagone posted:

Oh yeah, I know how the double data rate frequencies work, haha. My motherboard conveniently has preset OC timings for me to set in the BIOS (under a setting called MSI Memory Try It!), though I never tried any of the preset timings slower than 2933 MHz. Entering the timings manually didn't make a difference either. I'm also sure I could boot the 4 sticks at 2666MHz just fine, but I was more so trying to go after RAM speeds closer to what I paid for (3200). Running 4 sticks at CAS 16 2933 MHz would boot sometimes, but 3066/3200 would always fail, no matter the timings.

Oh I see, you meant to write 3133 in your previous post. Yeah that's not crazy or broken then. Worse than I'd expect but 4 sticks of not B-die or E-die in daisy chain on a Zen 1 CPU is not gonna be great. Surprised that you can't get 3200 no matter what the timings, but it could be the G types are even worse than the normal ones. They've got a lot more going on with the SOC side of the chip after all.

(Which is another thing you can try, more SOC volts, but that's a can of worms that I can't help with. All I know is there's not a lot of headroom on the SOC before danger high voltage.)

So yes a Zen 2 with the much improved memory controller or upcoming 3 series might solve that. Or it might not. :shrug:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Klyith posted:

Oh I see, you meant to write 3133 in your previous post. Yeah that's not crazy or broken then. Worse than I'd expect but 4 sticks of not B-die or E-die in daisy chain on a Zen 1 CPU is not gonna be great. Surprised that you can't get 3200 no matter what the timings, but it could be the G types are even worse than the normal ones. They've got a lot more going on with the SOC side of the chip after all.

(Which is another thing you can try, more SOC volts, but that's a can of worms that I can't help with. All I know is there's not a lot of headroom on the SOC before danger high voltage.)

So yes a Zen 2 with the much improved memory controller or upcoming 3 series might solve that. Or it might not. :shrug:

Oh, no I did actually mean 2133 lol. That's what the BIOS defaults to whenever I set a timing that causes a failed post. I've just never tried setting the RAM speed to anything slower than 2933 MHz. The PC runs a-ok with 4 sticks at 2133; works no problem. I'll try booting with all 4 sticks at 2666 sometime this weekend to rule out any other wonkiness. Another thing I forgot to mention is I also tried bringing up the DRAM voltage when trying for 2933+ speeds on all 4 sticks, but that also didn't make a difference.

And I've actually tried increasing SoC voltage in the past to OC the Vega graphics on this 2200G, but I got flustered when I couldn't shake all the lockups/crashes after a handful of attempts lol. So I said screw it and haven't touched the SoC voltage since. If a Zen 2 APU doesn't fix the issue, then I'll just end up selling the RAM or maybe use it for another build or something, heh.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Seamonster posted:

Margins aside, what kind of volume do they really think is going to move? OEMs office boxes? No iGPU... Maybe in lower average income countries?

Half the world lives on just five dollars a day

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

Oh, no I did actually mean 2133 lol. That's what the BIOS defaults to whenever I set a timing that causes a failed post. I've just never tried setting the RAM speed to anything slower than 2933 MHz. The PC runs a-ok with 4 sticks at 2133; works no problem. I'll try booting with all 4 sticks at 2666 sometime this weekend to rule out any other wonkiness. Another thing I forgot to mention is I also tried bringing up the DRAM voltage when trying for 2933+ speeds on all 4 sticks, but that also didn't make a difference.

And I've actually tried increasing SoC voltage in the past to OC the Vega graphics on this 2200G, but I got flustered when I couldn't shake all the lockups/crashes after a handful of attempts lol. So I said screw it and haven't touched the SoC voltage since. If a Zen 2 APU doesn't fix the issue, then I'll just end up selling the RAM or maybe use it for another build or something, heh.

2133 is just the default "fallback" JEDEC speed, if your RAM wouldn't even run that something would be seriously wrong :v:

The APUs should have the Zen+ memory controller already which is why you can run DDR4-3200 with random memory in the first place. Zen 1 could barely hit more than 2933 without special RAM (eg. B-die stuff).

However, I could see the two different sets not running at "rated" speeds together since you're still approaching the limit of what the Zen+ IMC can do (with 4 DIMMs specifically), and with different memory chips that may like different timings/voltage just enough so it breaks near maximum speed (especially with Auto-OC options).

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Unless if you mean the entire process itself, then it's not likely because of the WSA with Global Foundries requiring wafers sold till i think 2023 or 2025?

Still surprised there are no 1700 AF but I suppose they probably get snatched up for any Naples orders or replacements. Actually like besides contractual obligations, who the gently caress is even going to order Naples anymore? Is there a use case for it, cause like 24C Rome will beat the snot out of 32C Naples.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Yeah if anything, it's Zen2 that will be EOL since it uses basically the same process as Zen3.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
This is probably a dumb question; but is it the case that generally Ryzen 3000 CPUs run hot? At stock on a Ryzen 3900X on a Asrock B450M Pro4 with a NH-U12S cooler, F@H peaks at around 90C. With the stock cooler it would peak at 95C.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Evil Robot posted:

This is probably a dumb question; but is it the case that generally Ryzen 3000 CPUs run hot? At stock on a Ryzen 3900X on a Asrock B450M Pro4 with a NH-U12S cooler, F@H peaks at around 90C. With the stock cooler it would peak at 95C.

That sounds way high. Do you have pbo turned on / no airflow / 40c ambient temps.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

orcane posted:

2133 is just the default "fallback" JEDEC speed, if your RAM wouldn't even run that something would be seriously wrong :v:

Lol, good to know! And yeah, I guess I'll just wait until a Zen 2 desktop APU hits the market, or maybe a Zen 3 APU if it's still on AM4. We'll see. I'll hold onto the RAM for now.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Evil Robot posted:

I see around 10C less than you.

I've got a 3900X, MSI X470, NH-U14S in a Fractal Meshify C case with the fans tuned down to silence.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Spatial posted:

I see around 10C less than you.

I've got a 3900X, MSI X470, NH-U14S in a Fractal Meshify C case with the fans tuned down to silence.

I have a Fractal Define Mini C which is the "silent" version of your case and runs 3-5 degrees hotter due to less airflow. I have 2x Fractal GP12 x2 fans intake and 1 outtake. Ambient temps are a little high - 25-27C. Just manually turned off PBO in BIOS but it didn't seem to help.

Evil Robot fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 25, 2020

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Evil Robot posted:

I have a Fractal Define Mini C which is the "silent" version of your case and runs 3-5 degrees hotter due to less airflow. I have 2x Fractal GP12 x2 fans intake and 1 outtake. Ambient temps are a little high - 25-27C. Just manually turned off PBO in BIOS but it didn't seem to help.

Just to troubleshoot you could remove the side from your case. If temps drop a lot, it's a case issue. If they only drop a bit, it's a heatsink/mounting issue. Or maybe it's getting way too much voltage for some reason.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Thansk for the help everyone. I'm still a little mystified. Couple observations:
  • Took off the side, no significant difference in temps (maybe 1-2 degrees). So it doesn't seem case airflow is the issue.
  • Max voltage appears to be about 1.35v; is that too high?
  • Strangely prime95 small fft with 24 threads doesn't get anywhere near the F@H temps (maxes out at 78C or so). Is F@H just more demanding than most other benchmarks?
  • The CPU heatsink is only somewhat warm to the touch, not very hot when CPU reports 90+C running F@H. Not nearly as hot as the GPU heatsink which is only reporting 70C.
  • Turning all my fans to max in BIOS didn't really reduce temps.

Evil Robot fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 26, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

IO die is still 14nm, right? Whatever lets them get through their GloFo WSA.
That WSA still active? I thought they dissolved it, since GloFo cancelled 7nm?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

I guess you could try remounting and repasting the heatsink, but 50 over ambient in prime 95 with that CPU and cooler doesn't sound like you're making bad contact. Are holding pretty steady at the 140w power limit in prime?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Does F@H use AVX? Are you running an old AVX-less version of Prime (or turned it off in a config file)?

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
What are you using to monitor temperatures? My Asus B450 was reporting a 15C offset from ryzen master. My Gigabyte X570 is almost the same as ryzen master.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Combat Pretzel posted:

That WSA still active? I thought they dissolved it, since GloFo cancelled 7nm?

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13915/amd-amends-agreement-with-globalfoudries-set-to-buy-wafers-till-2021

They renegotiated it to allow AMD to go anywhere for their 7nm needs without having to pay for the privilege, and set wafer targets through 2021. The WSA is still in effect for anything 12nm+ (that's a 12nm enhanced node, not 12nm and larger) until 2024.

Which still leaves their IO dies, their non-bleeding-edge silicon, and their chipsets to be made at GloFo.

Who knows if this will incite GloFo to get back into the game, since AMD and Nvidia are snapping up every freed-up wafer from other companies cutting back production because of COVID. When this is all over, AMD, Apple, Nvidia, Qualcomm, and Broadcom will just monopolize every last bit of TSMC's production while leaves those smaller customers that are rolling back now out in the rain in the future.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 26, 2020

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Evil Robot posted:

Strangely prime95 small fft with 24 threads doesn't get anywhere near the F@H temps (maxes out at 78C or so). Is F@H just more demanding than most other benchmarks?
prime95 doesn't use the GPU while F@H does, so it's probably just down to more heat in the same case.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
In that case you can run Furmark/Kombustor together with Prime95 :v:

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
I'm using the latest version of prime95 and even when I pause GPU folding in F@H I still see a significant temperature differential on my CPU between the two programs.

Evil Robot fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 26, 2020

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Tried one last thing - cleaning / remounting cooler. I actually used the wrong Noctua spacers (supposed to use gray not white with AM4) hoping it would make a difference but nope. Still at 90C in F@H. Just going to deal with it; every day use is fine.

PS make fun of my old / new thermal paste job:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Looks fine to me. You could put even more, you had zero percent spillage!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Evil Robot posted:

Tried one last thing - cleaning / remounting cooler. I actually used the wrong Noctua spacers (supposed to use gray not white with AM4) hoping it would make a difference but nope. Still at 90C in F@H. Just going to deal with it; every day use is fine.

PS make fun of my old / new thermal paste job:

the answer key for the 3600 is

you should probably be able to infer where the thermal paste should be for a dual chiplet

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not convinced that putting more thermal paste over the 3900x chiplets does anything compared to the even coat over the whole IHS you get when you do any reasonable thermal paste application method.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the answer key for the 3600 is

you should probably be able to infer where the thermal paste should be for a dual chiplet

I'd probably just diagonal line that

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Let's not get into paste nuance. As long as you cover the heat transfer plate you're not going to be able to make a degree of difference.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Is the typo in the thread title some insider joke I'm not getting or has no one ever asked a mod to fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

mcbexx posted:

Is the typo in the thread title some insider joke I'm not getting or has no one ever asked a mod to fix it?

AMD made that typo on one of the keynote slides and we're never going to let them forget