Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Something I'm enjoying with strong "not Peter Parker" vibes is Claire in the Resident Evil 2 remake, and how after a certain point she's just done with zombies. The whole time you're shooting she just starts constantly going "poo poo!"/"dammit!"/"you rear end in a top hat!" and such, which is pretty endearing because it's me verbatim once low level mooks become obstacles in the way rather than spoopy threats to worry about.

The same thing happens In Spec Ops: The Line. When you start the game the soldiers quip and banter but as the fighting goes on they start sounding more aggressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alhazred posted:

The same thing happens In Spec Ops: The Line. When you start the game the soldiers quip and banter but as the fighting goes on they start sounding more aggressive.

One of the best parts of giving Isaac Clarke a voice in Dead Space 2 is if you start mashing the Stomp button he starts swearing like mad because gently caress that particular Necromorph, and everything going on in general.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Samovar posted:

However, in the endgame when you get the railgun, when it fires off a round, the recoil is so massive that it shatters the concrete that Jill is standing on without somehow blowing her to pieces at the same time...

Solid willpower can shatter anime earth.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Big Control energy

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Alhazred posted:

Apparently they made nolan north do the entirety of his voice acting in one go so he would be tired and his voice rough by the end

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Something I'm enjoying with strong "not Peter Parker" vibes is Claire in the Resident Evil 2 remake, and how after a certain point she's just done with zombies. The whole time you're shooting she just starts constantly going "poo poo!"/"dammit!"/"you rear end in a top hat!" and such, which is pretty endearing because it's me verbatim once low level mooks become obstacles in the way rather than spoopy threats to worry about.

I wanna give Fire Emblem: Three Houses props for this one, too. Before the time skip everyone's generally weirdly chipper and uplifting; it's almost literally this ProZD sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBYEEHItjrI

After the time skip, though? All that naive, 'shonen anime' level happiness is loving gone. It shows differently, some hit by it more than others, but you can feel their character development in their incidental lines alone, and it's great. Honestly, I've been really surprised at all the little things they do to sell that part of the game; I didn't expect them to commit to the bit as well as they do.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

my favourite part like that is Leon getting ambushed by Mr X during the final escape scene and the sheer outrage in his voice as he shouts "is this a loving joke".

overall they manage to do a really good job of what should be the tired/insufferable trope of wisecracking protagonists giving snarky one-liner comments on horrifying things, I think largely because most of the "snarky" lines are just sheer, exhausted anger verging on despair - and I mean I've never been in a combat situation (though I do live in Glasgow) but it's sort of believable, adrenaline and all. The voice actors did a great job selling it.

Lunchmeat Larry has a new favorite as of 12:36 on Apr 23, 2020

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

my favourite part like that is Leon getting ambushed by Mr X during the final escape scene and the sheer outrage in his voice as he shouts "is this a loving joke".

overall they manage to do a really good job of what should be the tired/insufferable trope of wisecracking protagonists giving snarky one-liner comments on horrifying things, I think largely because most of the "snarky" lines are just sheer, exhausted anger verging on despair - and I mean I've never been in a combat situation (though I do live in Glasgow) but it's sort of believable, adrenaline and all. The voice actors did a great job selling it.

Which is exactly why I was so disappointed when the remake of 3 went right back to action movie quips and snarky jokes about how umbrella doesn't make sense, isn't that weird? And Jill just constantly talks poo poo to the monsters. 2 was done so well, and 3 just fumbled on every level.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Nuebot posted:

Which is exactly why I was so disappointed when the remake of 3 went right back to action movie quips and snarky jokes about how umbrella doesn't make sense, isn't that weird? And Jill just constantly talks poo poo to the monsters. 2 was done so well, and 3 just fumbled on every level.

Jill is also ex-military and in the department's special forces unit, and has combat experience, same as Carlos. Not to mention that Jill has already survived RE1 and has EXTENSIVE experience with zombies and monsters, and is sick and tired of their poo poo. They aren't a rookie cop and a terrified civilian thrust into the apocalypse. And if there is anything I've learned from knowing people with combat and military experience, is that they cope with stress by puffing their chest out and acting big. I think it works perfectly for who the characters in 3 are.

Sandwich Anarchist has a new favorite as of 15:50 on Apr 23, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Leon is the Chosen One spoken of in prophecy who would unite these tropes, RE2 & 4 show his journey along this path

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
The "running up a fire escape vertically" animation in Spider-Man is so good. I don't know why I love that one specific animation so much, but it just works so well.

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

They mixed up how many shots the basic zombies take to go down so you just can't headshot them twice and run by, and the reactions to that are great.

The audible frustration when it takes 6 headshots to put one down lines up perfectly with the player reaction to wasting all that ammo.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Nuebot posted:

:confused: Jill doesn't do this at all in RE3. She talks poo poo to Nemesis and sounds like she's on the verge of a nervous breakdown the entire time, one of the lines is just straight from the original RE3. She also has experience dealing with most of them and is a fairly hardened cop, unlike Leon and Claire.

I know RE3 has issues but I feel like people are coming up with things to be mad about it for some reason.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

:confused: Jill doesn't do this at all in RE3. She talks poo poo to Nemesis and sounds like she's on the verge of a nervous breakdown the entire time, one of the lines is just straight from the original RE3. She also has experience dealing with most of them and is a fairly hardened cop, unlike Leon and Claire.

I know RE3 has issues but I feel like people are coming up with things to be mad about it for some reason.

Yeah, being in Delta Force training and then surviving the mansion makes you pretty hard I have to say

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So, Sonic Robo blast 2 is a sonic fangame of suprising quality made in the doom engine, and very recently I learned that they had updated back at the very end of last year. The little thing is that for more than a decade there was a running joke about getting slopes into the game because logically a sonic game with proper momentum should have slopes in it, but it was always spoken of as a thing they could never manage.

So coming back many years later to see they somehow they really did manage sloped ground and even ceilings made me really happy ans was just icing on the rework cake.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sonic Robo Blast 2 was already bonkers for something made on the Doom engine, and now thanks to recent developments in ports like GZDoom it is above and beyond crazy. And the game's a lot of fun too!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Despite Metal Gear being from 1987 and Kojima not having fully blossomed into the wonderful flower he currently is there are some really cool touches. At the end of the game you're escaping from Outer Heaven, which is counting down to self-destruction. If you stop to smoke a cigarette while escaping the timer goes back up, presumably because you're leaning into being a badass action hero.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night handles water exploration pretty poorly.

You start able to swim at the surface without diving. In order to explore underwater, you first have to get a shard that is a random drop from an aquatic enemy. It allows you to shoot a water jet that can propel yourself in any direction in the water. You float back up with out this, so you can’t open chests or go through some gaps that require another ability that uses the same slot as the jet.

To fully explore water areas, you need a passive shard from a boss that causes you to sink and walk on the floor. You need the water jet to reach him, I think. I think it’s the only random drop you need to beat the game.

Once you get it, you’re too heavy to propel yourself with the water jet. So you have to go to the menu and switch it on and off as you explore the waterway areas.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Wrong thread, this is the good one.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
You can make underwater travel somewhat bearable by simply grinding and upgrading a certain other passive shard you can get from an enemy.

(that whole section is one of the worst things in that game which, besides one other part, I thought was great fun)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dr Christmas posted:

Once you get it, you’re too heavy to propel yourself with the water jet. So you have to go to the menu and switch it on and off as you explore the waterway areas.

Shameful failure to learn the lesson of the Iron Boots

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable
Just put my first eight hours or so into Dragon Age Inquisition with a two handed main and I'm a little bit in love with the sledgehammer, it has a super satisfying amount of heft. I think a lot of it is down to the excellent sound design, I'm playing it with an old pair of studio headphones that are very well balanced and the combat noises are really chunky, great soundtrack too.

What isn't cool is the terrible SSAO implementation. I spent the first few hours wondering why it was running so terribly until I turned it off, literally gained 20-30 fps and now I can max out all the other settings, game looks great and stays in the 50/60fps range 90% of the time. What a terribly broken bit of coding.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Are you forcing 60fps in command line? AFAIR that breaks some animations

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
There are a bunch of flaws, but I really liked the protagonist in Warhammer 40000: Inquisition - Martyr explaining at the start of the game that they would record an audiolog in case they didn't return, to justify their narration while alone.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

RGX posted:

Just put my first eight hours or so into Dragon Age Inquisition with a two handed main and I'm a little bit in love with the sledgehammer, it has a super satisfying amount of heft. I think a lot of it is down to the excellent sound design, I'm playing it with an old pair of studio headphones that are very well balanced and the combat noises are really chunky, great soundtrack too.

What isn't cool is the terrible SSAO implementation. I spent the first few hours wondering why it was running so terribly until I turned it off, literally gained 20-30 fps and now I can max out all the other settings, game looks great and stays in the 50/60fps range 90% of the time. What a terribly broken bit of coding.

Protip for two hand builds. You can actually animation cancel your swings with either the search button or the button that makes your horse sprint for a huge DPS increase

And yeah, as someone else mentioned make sure to put the 60 fps flag on!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The new launcher for Stellaris has a 'resume' button, where it'll boot up the game and load you straight into your most recent savegame automatically.
Pretty nice for a game that has a fairly significant startup+load time.

I guess they developed it for CK3 then backported it to Stellaris as well.

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable

Ruffian Price posted:

Are you forcing 60fps in command line? AFAIR that breaks some animations

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Protip for two hand builds. You can actually animation cancel your swings with either the search button or the button that makes your horse sprint for a huge DPS increase

And yeah, as someone else mentioned make sure to put the 60 fps flag on!

Thanks for the tips! The 60 fps cutscene fix is the only thing I haven't experimented with yet but I'm a little wary as a lot of people reported it messing up animation timings etc, in your opinion is the cutscene smoothness worth it? TBH I'm playing on an old gaming laptop with a 960m so not a lot of graphics grunt, I thought I'd simply over faced it with the high settings at 1080p until I realised the SSAO was borked, FPS stays above 50 for the most part now but I'm only hitting 60 occasionally. A few forum posts said unless you're keeping 60fps + stable then the fix will screw the animations. Still getting a little slowdown going into the first few towns but as I understand it these are pretty intensive CPU wise for most people and there isn't much you can do about it without a beefier processor, it's totally bearable though given it was running like a dog previously.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Also for the two-handed warrior in DA:I, you can cut animations with combat roll and getting the upgrade to it that makes it cause damage is pretty great. Cuts a lot of fights almost in half because it refreshes so quickly.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

SubNat posted:

The new launcher for Stellaris has a 'resume' button, where it'll boot up the game and load you straight into your most recent savegame automatically.

I'm pretty sure that's been in CK2 for years.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

SubNat posted:

You can double click the actual save game files for supreme commander forged alliance in windows explorer, and it will open the game and load the save game all in one go.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The Dr. Mario mobile game is introducing a new playable character: Dr. 'Three Goombas in a coat'.

https://twitter.com/Drmarioworld_EN/status/1253579864222785540/

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Just found that you can hide in barrels in BotW. This game keeps on giving.

https://twitter.com/Brainmage/status/1254355729449840640?s=19

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
While some of the writing is kind of wonky like the stereotypical gay best friend character, some of the writing in Murder By Numbers is kind of interesting. Case 3 involves a Drag club, and it actually raises an interesting point about gender when the robot sidekick asks one of the performers why everyone refers to them as "He" despite being genderless and having both male and female connections that they use to interface with other electronics.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
There's an enemy in Persona 5 that will turn one of your party members into a rat and when it's their turn to attack they can't because they're "rattled".

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I’ve just discovered a secret bonus with my all-rat team in legend of grimrock 2 that after you feed a rat character enough Cheese, there’s a squeaking sound and they gain a random stat point. Powerful rat energy in this game

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I’ve just discovered a secret bonus with my all-rat team in legend of grimrock 2 that after you feed a rat character enough Cheese, there’s a squeaking sound and they gain a random stat point. Powerful rat energy in this game

Lizard men similarly get random stats if they eat turtle eggs

I THINK minotaurs and insect folks do too, but I forget what food they need.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rats are the :goonsay:most optimal choice because cheese is the most plentiful of the stat up foods.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I took a break from Legend of Grimrock 2 because that game is well made but starts to feel like a chore after a while, and my all-rat party was made up of the four rats I had at the time, and basically rats do not live very long and the only surviving one of those is getting put down tomorrow so I'm just not completing that game.

I got three out of four magic gems or whatever and it was fine, so I reckon I got my money's worth

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Rats are the :goonsay:most optimal choice because rats rats we’re the rats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Another food thing:- I just started Dead Cells and it's got a pretty cheeky customization option, for the player's diet. This controls the sprites used for health pickups, and there are half a dozen different choices including meat, vegetables, fruit, and gross monster parts.