Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
how loving big is the TBEU

https://twitter.com/TaffGoose/status/1253971074125004805?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

There's dozens of accounts aren't there?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Just got back from the pharmacy, first time I was outdoors since the lockdown began, place is dead you would think there was a pandemic on or something

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
the sun finally came out now i can sunbathe in my apartment stairwell

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I don't understand the fixation on re-opening offices. They're the least impacted part of the economy from this, business factory people working from home is an easy win.

The whole approach of anything fun being considered non-essential and locked down for months while work carries on as normal is misconceived.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tories having a complete misunderstanding of the realities of work you say.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
how are all of the guardian op ed writers supposed to work from home????

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The value isn't in the offices, it's in the resumption of office work culture for the middle classes and CEO-level society.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
karens of the world, unite!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

peanut- posted:

I don't understand the fixation on re-opening offices. They're the least impacted part of the economy from this, business factory people working from home is an easy win.

The whole approach of anything fun being considered non-essential and locked down for months while work carries on as normal is misconceived.

I was wondering if part of it was because bus/train companies are just losing money day on day with so few people travelling, so if the government tells people who commute to get back to work, they'll need to get public transport and the government won't risk being forced to nationalise or subsidise the transport firms to keep them viable in a longer lockdown.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

namesake posted:

The value isn't in the offices, it's in the resumption of office work culture for the middle classes and CEO-level society.

It was a patchy few weeks when lockdown & wfh began but our department now has as many, if not more, meetings as before

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When they have to lock everything down again towards the winter I'm sure everyone's gonna appreciate lugging all their poo poo back from the office to home again.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

My office saved me time and just stopped employing me so the lugging is one way.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

My office saved me time and just stopped employing me so the lugging is one way.

I trust it included your desk, your office chair, and all the copper wire you could rip out the walls?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1254001342097620992

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/invisibleste/status/1254013211340410881

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

namesake posted:

yeah that guy from chapo was saying similar...this really has upset a lot of hierarchy/PMC obsessed types and they generally are the ones politics and culture caters to so lockdown is nightmare fuel to them

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really feel like I dodged a bullet by never getting an office/admin job cos everything I read about it makes it sound horrible.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
In my experience people who really thrive in rigidly hierarchical environments are sociopaths (for obvious reasons) and the hopelessly thick who prefer to be told exactly what to do and how to do it. If you're not in either of those groups you are probably not going to have a good time in an administrative environment imo

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

OwlFancier posted:

I really feel like I dodged a bullet by never getting an office/admin job cos everything I read about it makes it sound horrible.

Having done both blue and white collar work I can categorically say I would rather do retail or kitchen or janitorial work than data entry/basic admin, any day of the week.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

What you do is, first day in the office, find the biggest, most tedious bureaucrat and engage them in a petulent, pedantic spat over semantics until they back down. That way everyone knows not to mess with you.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I don't mind administration if it is towards a goal I agree with. Most of the time though it is just "make email go faster".

I went out to get food today and I hate that I don't have enough space in my bags (I have a rucksack and a large carry all) to carry 10 days worth of food. I couldn't fit the drat bananas in and just left them behind. Now I won't go out for at least another 4 days.

In happier news, I am now an Uncle! My Brother and his wife were expecting but apparently baby Milo was loving huge and they had to keep the mum in overnight. He was almost 9 pounds.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

OwlFancier posted:

When they have to lock everything down again towards the winter I'm sure everyone's gonna appreciate lugging all their poo poo back from the office to home again.

I'm not 100% convinced we'll see a second lockdown this autumn or winter. I'm not saying that we won't get a big surge of virus cases, just that I wouldn't be surprised to see just a token lockdown. By then, I'm expecting the Government to have been lobbied hard and long by the Number Must Go Up crowd, and have had plenty of time to come up with a justification for why grandma has to die to keep the shops open. Expect a lot of propaganda about how we're ready for it this time, and a packet of facemasks in the post.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Even though our company already had a lot of WFH before this, managers keep saying things like "appreciate that since everyone is WFH, productivity will be a bit lower and that's fine". But it's like, no - productivity might be lower because there's a pandemic happening and the lockdown and everyone is super stressed/scared about it

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

ThomasPaine posted:

Having done both blue and white collar work I can categorically say I would rather do retail or kitchen or janitorial work than data entry/basic admin, any day of the week.

Agree. I worked as a kitchen porter when I was 15/16 and I did a spell in basic admin in the civil service when I was 19. I would take being up to my oxters in grease washing pots and getting bollocked and called all sorts by sweaty, red faced chefs over the endless bitching and passive aggression and inflated egos you get from people comfortable in admin jobs

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i would agree if the pays were equitable but thanks to the lack of any labour movement real work often gets paid jack poo poo

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
it's pretty telling that the job a lot of office workers use as an example of a basic-level job is flipping burgers

where anyone who's done both will tell you that working in a busy fast food kitchen is a hundred times harder and more stressful than answering emails all day

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

bump_fn posted:

i would agree if the pays were equitable but thanks to the lack of any labour movement real work often gets paid jack poo poo

True, but honestly low-end office work quite often is paid poo poo too, I was on minimum wage.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

pitch a fitness posted:

It was a patchy few weeks when lockdown & wfh began but our department now has as many, if not more, meetings as before

Lol, my workplace sent round a progress update that was broadly positive but did say at the end please not to book online meetings unless it was actually necessary, as they were getting in the way of people actually getting on with their work.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
My suspicion is that if you've got nothing to do then calling a meeting seems like a good way to tell everyone how busy and useful you are.

zhar
May 3, 2019

Soylent Yellow posted:

I'm not 100% convinced we'll see a second lockdown this autumn or winter. I'm not saying that we won't get a big surge of virus cases, just that I wouldn't be surprised to see just a token lockdown. By then, I'm expecting the Government to have been lobbied hard and long by the Number Must Go Up crowd, and have had plenty of time to come up with a justification for why grandma has to die to keep the shops open. Expect a lot of propaganda about how we're ready for it this time, and a packet of facemasks in the post.

I think it depends on how the public feels at the time, much like how this lockdown was only initiated due to public pressure and was not what the government wanted to do.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes, I'm sure they'll want to do nothing but they wanted to do nothing this time, bodies start stacking up and the government starts to look mighty weak when it does nothing.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Julio Cruz posted:

it's pretty telling that the job a lot of office workers use as an example of a basic-level job is flipping burgers

You encounter people in those environments who think people doing compsci degrees are wasting their time because they only have GCSEs but they've worked out pivot tables in microsoft excel, bajesus :smug:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ThomasPaine posted:

Hah for me it's very much the opposite. When i get an office job i just rock up, automate as much as possible and spend the freed-up time browsing blogs and forums. I can't stomach any job that doesn't grant me access to a computer.

I've done a manual labour job exactly once, for one day, and let me tell you i do not care for it.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Hah for me it's very much the opposite. When i get an office job i just rock up, automate as much as possible and spend the freed-up time browsing blogs and forums. I can't stomach any job that doesn't grant me access to a computer.

I've done a manual labour job exactly once, for one day, and let me tell you i do not care for it.

yospos bithc

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
The only job I ever really liked was helping out at a place that made lab tables. Cutting steel box section and using an angle grinder to clean up welds, it was loving great. Beat the poo poo out of fast food or cafe work

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Actually i tell a slight lie, a job i was quite fond of was a warehouse job.

But it was something of an unusual job. I was literally the only one there, the warehouse (a converted barn still strewn with hay and horseshit) was in the middle of the countryside and all i did was occasionally get up from sunning myself outside in an office chair to read a list, compile some boxes and wait for a truck to come pick them up. So it's hard to call that a truly manual labour job and if i was constantly moving boxes you can bet I'd be out of there in a flash.

Needless to say i will not be helping out with the strawberry picking crisis.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Hey weightlifting/more handy goons. I've got a question and I wonder if anyone here has some advice.

I have a large amount of home weightlifting kit; power rack, couple benches, 300kg of weights, barbell etc. It's all sitting in my shed & under my bed since I moved to the UK as none of the rooms in the house were big enough to accommodate the length of an olympic barbell without the small chance of me putting out a window or destroying a large section of drywall if I gently caress up. As a result I haven't set any of it up.

Here's what my setup in my basement where I used to live in Spain looked like (with feline helpers/trainers making sure I keep to a schedule) for an idea of how much we're talking of. Nothing crazy:

(ignore that plug hanging off the wall, that's a feature of houses in Spain, seriously)

So, to my question, I have a lovely albeit tiny English country garden now:

I'm thinking of setting up my weights in the garden and leaving them outside, possibly using my BBQ cover to keep the power rack covered so it doesn't get moist with dew overnight. Storing the weight discs themselves in the shed. I'm not sure if that's a fools errand and the pins in the thing are going to rust since it's an adjustable rack and then just kill me one day. Maybe I can stretch to investing in a solid A-frame style power rack in a few months.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Or even just lifting outside. I assume i'll need to seriously 'flatten' some of the ground and put some paving slabs down so there's a stable base, similar to what the shed is resting on. I'm also considering investing in a gazebo or cover or something to keep it dry incase of rain but there's insane winds here so I don't know if anything less than a permanent structure will hold. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know specifically how an adjustable weight rack works but unless the pins are like paperclips you shouldn't have them break because of the amount of rust they might accrue from being outside.

Rust is normally like, surface rust, which will damage anything that needs to slide smoothly or relies on a machined surface, but shouldn't structurally affect them unless you decide to immerse them in seawater for a few years for some reason.

You're more at risk of things seizing up than breaking. Structural failure from rusting is usually like, sheet metal or other very thin things like car body skins.

If you need to, drill some drain holes in the bottom of anything that might hold water if you're going to keep it outside.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Haha, if you can get away with it that sounds sweet. The admin job I did was basically data entry, in a big open plan office, with my manager sitting behind me. It was very difficult to skive :(

Honestly I'll be miserable if I have to leave academia, I've gotten far too used to working whenever and however I want and I can't think of a job that gives you the same freedom to just sack it all off and go for a pint/load up Steam whenever the hell, as long as you have something decent written by the deadline.