Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
even if my favored strat is "build ten archers and conquer the stone age world" that sounds way more interesting. it would take a lot of balance but i can see how that rule would be challenging and fun to play under

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

edit: shall I make a thread

I guess go for it. That way we can get posts complaining about the Epic store out of the way just in time for new information.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm not a fan of the Heavy Foot of Government (as it was called in MoO3). Especially if they are going to keep 1upt. Just get rid of 1upt so that way we don't need to spend dumb resources shuffling the dumb units around when that is by far the least interesting part of the game. I want my army to get to a place on the map I don't care how it gets there and I don't want to have to re-order it to do so every turn. Basically if you feel the need to implement some kind of mechanic to counter-balance something fundamental like army movement, your army system is broken and sucks.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

I feel like they could fix most of the problem by having units make a best effort to get to their destination instead of immediately cancelling movement when something is in the way.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The Human Crouton posted:

Alright, more competition for Civilization.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTwUvZyftgM

I'm guessing this is what the previously announced "10 Crowns" has become.

I've been beta testing this game for a couple months now, it's pretty fun in its current state. Still quite rough and unfinished in many respects but that's to be expected.

Ask me anything about it, or I guess do so if/when the thread for it gets made.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
How do the "action resource" points work?
How does army movement/creation work?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There was one factor waaaay back in Alpha Centauri that I'm pretty sure never showed up again in any Civilization game. (Yes Alpha Centauri is Civilization with the serial numbers filed, off, specifically #2, but with terrain manipulation and a hell of a backstory). The "Police" rating. If it was high, that was good, because you could use garrisoned military units to suppress unhappy citizens and turn them back into working citizens. But if it was low or in the negatives, the opposite would happen, and building military units past a certain point and making them leave the city would foment unrest and drone riots.

If your faction was built the wrong way you could have pissed-off pacifists demanding everyone park their tanks at home or GTFO.

It also had a different form of unit upkeep based on the "support" rating. Every unit had a "home" city and every unit over the support rating would deduct 1 production from that city's yields, and at low levels that would be devastating to your productivity. It wasn't money-based at all (I don't think).

Funny how game systems change over time.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Alpha Centauri did a lot of innovative things many of which were picked up by Civ4, I do wish Social Engineering was enhanced and implemented in a modern TBS (with hexagonal tiling and get rid of unit carpets.)

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
The two big examples in Speedball's post were basically civ 2 concepts, e.g. police as in communist government and democracy's unhappiness at troops being away from home (at least it made forts more relevant). But there were lots good things in SMAC, once you get past the graphics.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I've made a thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3920273

It's nice to see so many Civ-a-likes coming out.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Marmaduke! posted:

The two big examples in Speedball's post were basically civ 2 concepts, e.g. police as in communist government and democracy's unhappiness at troops being away from home (at least it made forts more relevant). But there were lots good things in SMAC, once you get past the graphics.

Oh thanks. Yeah, I wasn't positive that the police rating thing and support-through-production were things in Civ 2 itself. All I can directly remember from that is Elvis being your advisor.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

A populace without luxuries is akin to a hound dog without a bone, a lesson I will not soon forget.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Chronojam posted:

A populace without luxuries is akin to a hound dog without a bone, a lesson I will not soon forget.

In that it's as good a reason as any to kill the neighbors, yes. But beagles get fat easily, so be careful who you feed them!

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 17, 2020

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Is diplomatic favor, the mechanic, totally pointless in multiplayer games, or can it be spent somehow?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
edit: Whoops this is the Civ thread, sorry.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 18, 2020

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

You mean in Civ 6 against other humans? You use it to buy votes to get resolutions passed in the world congress. The results of the resolutions grants all sorts of bonuses, plus you get diplo victory points for voting for the winning resolution.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Alright, so you don't have to buy the votes from a player, you buy them from the bank so to speak?
And yes, I mean in a MP game with humans, I thought it was strictly a mechanic to interact with the AI.

Mata fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 18, 2020

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Yes, during the World Congress sessions, you vote on each resolution and buy the votes from the "bank" using Diplo Favor points

You pay [10 * ( n - 1)] Diplomatic Favor points to cast each vote. Thus the first one's free, second vote costs 10 points, a third vote costs 20, and so on, cumulatively. So, for example, four votes would cost 60 Diplomatic Favor points total.

The available resolutions to vote on are random, but from the Modern Era and on, one of them is guaranteed to be "Target player gains 2 Diplo Victory Points / Target player loses 3 Diplo Victory Points."

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The AI likes to gang up on you if you're angling for a diplomatic victory and vote to decrease your Diplomatic Victory Points but there is a way to tactically reduce the cost of that, if you vote *along* with it, you'd get back one point for voting for something that passes. Heh. The other way is just to starve everyone else of diplomatic capital, which is hard but possible.

Evig Vandrar
Jan 15, 2017
What setup would be good for a 3 player multiplayer game? I'm thinking of Pangaea for world type, and some additional AI empires to spice it up. However, I have no idea about world size, game speed etc. as I haven't really played any Civ since V was released, so almost 10 years ago.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Definitely pick Online speed, or whatever the fastest one is called. For map size, I would recommend you pick one a size smaller than what's intended for your playercount. I know it's not Civ V anymore, and you're supposed to have a big empire, but even taking that into account I find the maps in this a little too expansive.

When I've played this in MP, usually with 3-5 people, the biggest balance problem is starting positions. Not so much having great/crap starts-- we often restart until everyone has an okay one-- but how close together everyone is. Often, a game will start with one player off on their own, and the rest clustered, so that one player gets huge. I don't really have an ironclad way to fix this (other than the mirror/snowflake maps, and I don't think there's a 3-player one). You could either go for a too-small map, so everyone's in each other's face, or a too-big one, so everyone has room to peacefully expand until the late-game showdown.

I would recommend against putting AIs in, as it advantages anyone who starts near them, as they have access to a cheap supply of cities and XP. But honestly, that comes down to the temperament of the group.

Can't go wrong with Pangaea.

Edit: if you do end up doing a 3-player game, without AIs, consider disabling the religious victory condition. It's quite easy to get in those circumstances, and if one player rushes a religion there's very little the others can do to defend themselves.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Started a game as Monte right next to Sumeria and what the gently caress. I chewed him up and his 4 cities became my first four cities. The first couple cities were cake thanks to some raging barbarians taking Sumeria from the flanks. However his capital can go gently caress itself. drat near surrounded his capital, he has one war cart in it, hit end of turn and what's this? 6 war carts just appear. This happened like 3 times. It really screwed my momentum

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Why would you ever attack Gilgamesh? I can see it from a gameplay perspective, you get some free cities and he won't encroach on your territory, but I'm always happy to see him because that's a flank I won't ever have to worry about and a free alliance down the road.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Krazyface posted:

Definitely pick Online speed, or whatever the fastest one is called. For map size, I would recommend you pick one a size smaller than what's intended for your playercount. I know it's not Civ V anymore, and you're supposed to have a big empire, but even taking that into account I find the maps in this a little too expansive.

When I've played this in MP, usually with 3-5 people, the biggest balance problem is starting positions. Not so much having great/crap starts-- we often restart until everyone has an okay one-- but how close together everyone is. Often, a game will start with one player off on their own, and the rest clustered, so that one player gets huge. I don't really have an ironclad way to fix this (other than the mirror/snowflake maps, and I don't think there's a 3-player one). You could either go for a too-small map, so everyone's in each other's face, or a too-big one, so everyone has room to peacefully expand until the late-game showdown.

I would recommend against putting AIs in, as it advantages anyone who starts near them, as they have access to a cheap supply of cities and XP. But honestly, that comes down to the temperament of the group.

Can't go wrong with Pangaea.

Edit: if you do end up doing a 3-player game, without AIs, consider disabling the religious victory condition. It's quite easy to get in those circumstances, and if one player rushes a religion there's very little the others can do to defend themselves.

There are special balanced multiplayer maps I believe there are 2,4 players maps, as well as 3,6 player maps in civ6. You definitely want to go with those.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Why would you ever attack Gilgamesh? I can see it from a gameplay perspective, you get some free cities and he won't encroach on your territory, but I'm always happy to see him because that's a flank I won't ever have to worry about and a free alliance down the road.

Montezuma hungers for resources. I have no idea how 6 War Carts showing up at the same time could be a thing, unless this is a slight exaggeration. The AI can buyout units right?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

It must be the AI buying a ton of carts? I didn't think carts could move the first turn purchased. But for like 5 turns in a row it was two carts per turn just launching out of the city

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Goodpancakes posted:

It must be the AI buying a ton of carts? I didn't think carts could move the first turn purchased. But for like 5 turns in a row it was two carts per turn just launching out of the city

I don't think any unit can move the same turn it's purchased, is there one?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
One of the worst issues of Civ 6 is that the AI doesn't play by the same rules as the player.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The last time I played singleplayer, one of the AIs rang me up during the AI turn to ask "Why don't you ever have anything to say?". I know it was probably just a comment about culture output, or my lack of diplomatic proposals, but I like to think he was confused why I wasn't spamming the other players with snippy little messages.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Maybe one was being bought (and sitting idle for one turn) and one being fully built per turn? That results in a sustained 2 carts leaving the city per turn. Hard to imagine the AI stacking enough bonus' to complete 2 carts/turn via production.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Krazyface posted:

The last time I played singleplayer, one of the AIs rang me up during the AI turn to ask "Why don't you ever have anything to say?". I know it was probably just a comment about culture output, or my lack of diplomatic proposals, but I like to think he was confused why I wasn't spamming the other players with snippy little messages.

There was a one patch that added a bunch of agendas to the random pool, among which were "sexist" agendas where the AI would like male leaders and dislike female ones, or vice versa. IIRC, that was the text they used to tell you they disliked you for having a male leader, while the female equivalent was some flavor of "God, just shut up! I cannot stand listening to you yap away all day long"

It was not very popular and got patched out unusually fast by Firaxis standards.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

One of the worst issues of Civ 6 is that the AI doesn't play by the same rules as the player.
That was true in 5 as well. The AI could have a ranged troop inside a city shooting at you every turn and when they finished a second one that would also remain in the city and fire every turn as well.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Shooting Blanks posted:

I don't think any unit can move the same turn it's purchased, is there one?

A purchased unit cannot. But if the unit is completed by chopping a forrest, say, then it can move immediately.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Ok I just realized why Civ IV was the best: John Adams' music in the modern era

Smol fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 25, 2020

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Smol posted:

Ok I just realized why Civ IV was the best: John Adam's music in the modern era

The whole industrial/modern soundtrack was pretty incredible in that game, yeah. Modern got downright trippy

Mortlock
May 16, 2014

Played my first two games as Alexander (Macedon) won via space race, and then John Curtin (Australia) lost space race by 1 turn to Elizabeth (England) Culture victory.

The for some reason I felt like going back in time and having a crack at the original.

It was very easy to but I ran into major issues when I had to find a thing to build for the sake of not wasting production. I was building unity just to disband them.

Thank god in the new ones we have the Districts to use up the production if needed.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Getting some intense flashbacks to DOS-era terrain there - they always looked so good for such low fidelity. One day I'll look up the name of "that game" that I played a demo of 30 years ago, I still dream of it.

Aside from that, I'm sorry but that filter is awful.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Serephina posted:

Aside from that, I'm sorry but that filter is awful.

Thought I was seeing things. What even is this. :stare:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Mortlock posted:

Played my first two games as Alexander (Macedon) won via space race, and then John Curtin (Australia) lost space race by 1 turn to Elizabeth (England) Culture victory.

The for some reason I felt like going back in time and having a crack at the original.

It was very easy to but I ran into major issues when I had to find a thing to build for the sake of not wasting production. I was building unity just to disband them.

Thank god in the new ones we have the Districts to use up the production if needed.

It took me too many years to realise that the settler unit was a wagon, not a strange smiling creature of some kind. I still can't see the wagon unless I make a conscious effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

2086AD and you still haven't improved your lands or discovered the center of your empire? What are you, civ 6 AI?

But I still think civ1 looks very good. Second best looking game of civ after civ 5.