Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I'm pretty sure that there has to be a spell in Dungeons and Dragons that does this exact thing. Cloud of Cats, maybe? Zone of Meowing? Storm of Kittens? Greater Conjure Feline? Fur-cecage? Purr-smatic Sphere? Mistoffelees' Toxoplasmotic Barrier?

e: Transmute Air to Catnip? Hall-mew-cinatory Purr-ain?

Time_pants fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Now youtube is recommending me Thunderf00t videos. PGAAAABBBBZZZZZ :argh:

Why do people laugh at creationist... part 44. Are you loving kidding me? I hope hell is actually real just so that Satan makes him watch now who is laughing part 666

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So, we see the "space cows" and we mock them, but what does the citizen do?

quote:

Really wanting to see more AI from this game. An MMO needs NPCs that we can go fight/farm/kill. I know Star Citizen is more geared towards being a space-sim MMO. But having random world events and raids, battles and fights is what would really spice this game up. This game seriously lacks gameplay loops and AI is key to it.

Imagine landing on Microtech, you are walking through the blizzard it's super windy and the wind and trees are blowing hard. You stop. Something seems off. You see something moving in the bushes ahead of you, it's fur slightly illuminated by your flashlight. "What is that?", you ask. You walk forward a bit and peek, the animal spots you. You see it, "ohh gently caress a snow mammoth". You sure as gently caress know you won't be able to kill it. But it now pursues you. You run desperately back to your ship as it continues to chase. By a sliver you manage to climb into your ship and takeoff before it catches you. Wow... close encounter.

A week passes... and one day you hear people at a MicroTech bar talking: "hey, what time are we going hunting?", "Hunting?", the other replies. "Yeah, treasure hunting". "Ohh, the crystal caves?". You continue to listen to their conversation for the next 5 minutes and come to realize that Snow mammoths burrow in caves and their waste has a particular bacteria in it that allows rare crystals to form in these caves. These crystals are not unique to snow mammoths and can be found throughout the verse, but are extremely rare.

You walk back to your ship. "What the hell was that all about?". You recall that your encounter with the animal happen during the night. "Is it nocturnal?" You ask. You sit and think for a second. "Hmm, maybe I should take a look at that area". You fly back over to the area and make sure to stay in your ship and hover over the area of the encounter. "Ohh..!". You see it. The Snow Mammoth is moving. There aren't any tracks in front of it, so it must be moving away from it's burrow, you think to yourself. You pan to the right and drift for a few seconds. You see a small clearing and what looks to be a small cliff. As you fly over you see the cave entrance. "gently caress it", you say. You yank your stick down and land the ship as quickly as possible. You run inside in a hurry and once your eyes adjust you stop moving and stop breathing in fear of your life. 2 baby Snow Mammoths are on both sides of you. Surrounded by beautiful crystals covering every surface of the cave and with 2 baby snow mammoths you are both thankful and terrified. The snow mammoths just stare at you blankly, no signs of aggression. One Snow mammoth walks away and the other chases it's sibling. As the babies walk away you take a closer look at their tusks, they're made out of the same crystal and their skin... has a slight shimmer? You pause and realize that what the men had been talking about at the bar was true.

quote:

I hope they go all out on wildlife. This is what can set star citizen so far ahead of other games. When you build a universe this big AND have diverse alien wildlife it gives the true frontier feeling. When you don't know if you're going to encounter a "space bear" at this cave for example - this is true exploration.

It's a different reality.

Also, this was supposed to be a space game about flight ships around doing pew-pew. :lol:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

trucutru posted:

Also, this was supposed to be a space game about flight ships around doing pew-pew. :lol:

"When you don't know if you're going to encounter a "space bear" at this cave for example - this is true exploration."

That has to be a goon trolling backers.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Inacio posted:

CIG is such an incredible work environment that you go from junior to senior in less than 2 years
take that stale, old, greedy publisher-financed devs!

When you become the oldest person in a group, you become the senior.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Someone's done a video that makes Elite actually look hella fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdYN4TDGO84

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quavers posted:

CIG produce videos that make it look like fun :P

However, this video shows off combat in ED, which is pretty drat well done, one of the most polished areas of ED.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

trucutru posted:

Now youtube is recommending me Thunderf00t videos. PGAAAABBBBZZZZZ :argh:

I had one evening where I watched some Battletech and IL2 videos. The days after were full of 'SJWs are ruining <franchise>', 'Heroic German soldiers do things', 'Cultural marxism ruins <thing>' recommendations. If it's not a channel I know well, any gaming-YouTube is incognito for me now.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Quavers posted:

I love combat in Elite, the tragedy for me is the hundred-plus hours of engineering/materials grind that has to be done before you can fully equip a big combat ship. Elite's combat has always been great, the problem is that the game loops don't support each other. If you enjoy combat you can't progress your ship just by doing it- you're going to need to mine or trade to make bulk money, endlessly scan stuff for engineering data, endlessly fly around exploring for materials, land and do surface stuff for minerals, fly out to the alien areas for the guardian blueprints, etc etc etc.

I'm at the point now where I can take my Cutter out and just fly around in the little single-seat fighter having fun while my turrets and NPC pilot fly the big ship like it's my personal private Star Destroyer. But I've sunk 400 or more hours in and I rarely feel like getting on to play anymore. I was hoping the new carrier stuff would add some group-play incentives, because I really think the game's at its' best when you're with friends, but nope.

----

In other flight-sim news IL-2 is having a 75% off sale on all their expansions this week which is a pretty good deal given that they're normally like $80 each.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

trucutru posted:

Citizens are going to have to confront the very real possibility that Star Citizen, the spaceship space game, is actually going to have cows and birds before it has the Idris that they paid thousands of dollars for.

It's uncanny, I still remember when birds were a joke and the number one example of Chris just saying "Yes" to everything. And now here we are, and birds will be in before multicrew. Guess he really showed us haters!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

I love combat in Elite, the tragedy for me is the hundred-plus hours of engineering/materials grind that has to be done before you can fully equip a big combat ship.

It became a lot better after they added material traders. No longer scrimping around trying to find those difficult to get materials. Just trade something you have plenty of.

Last year i totally redid my fleet from like 10 CM3s/CM4s to a fleet different ships. Used inara to see what i needed to fully engineer all of them. Then looked at what i could trade to make up any shortages. In the end, fully engineered most of the stuff without even needing to go hunt for any materials. Just had a new things left that I needed to go gather, but mostly minor stuff that wasn't even that important to do.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

Citizens are going to have to confront the very real possibility that Star Citizen, the spaceship space game, is actually going to have cows and birds before it has the Idris that they paid thousands of dollars for.

It's uncanny, I still remember when birds were a joke and the number one example of Chris just saying "Yes" to everything. And now here we are, and birds will be in before multicrew. Guess he really showed us haters!

that reminds me there was small update on status of idris.
https://youtu.be/uKcCqzHbDmY?t=518

exterior complete interior isnt
so i would guess its not 80% complete anymore

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238&pagenumber=3595&perpage=40#post480687455 here is the timeline of idris development

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dark Off posted:

that reminds me there was small update on status of idris.
https://youtu.be/uKcCqzHbDmY?t=518

Ffs. Put your laptop on a box or something — no-one wants to have a close study of your nasal cavity on a conference call.
We've been doing this for over a month so why is this one simple thing so difficult for people to learn?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

lol

Dark Off posted:

november 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-MF7xYMB0A&t=300s
one room left from completion.

Hey that missile room is really big alright

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
When I think of Chris, I hear this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbXz2Z5_WN0

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

peter gabriel posted:

has anyone said pants shtizen yet?

Yeah, some bloke called Darren Smart did.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dreams:

quote:

Really wanting to see more AI from this game. An MMO needs NPCs that we can go fight/farm/kill. I know Star Citizen is more geared towards being a space-sim MMO. But having random world events and raids, battles and fights is what would really spice this game up. This game seriously lacks gameplay loops and AI is key to it.

Imagine landing on Microtech, you are walking through the blizzard it's super windy and the wind and trees are blowing hard. You stop. Something seems off. You see something moving in the bushes ahead of you, it's fur slightly illuminated by your flashlight. "What is that?", you ask. You walk forward a bit and peek, the animal spots you. You see it, "ohh gently caress a snow mammoth". You sure as gently caress know you won't be able to kill it. But it now pursues you. You run desperately back to your ship as it continues to chase. By a sliver you manage to climb into your ship and takeoff before it catches you. Wow... close encounter.

A week passes... and one day you hear people at a MicroTech bar talking: "hey, what time are we going hunting?", "Hunting?", the other replies. "Yeah, treasure hunting". "Ohh, the crystal caves?". You continue to listen to their conversation for the next 5 minutes and come to realize that Snow mammoths burrow in caves and their waste has a particular bacteria in it that allows rare crystals to form in these caves. These crystals are not unique to snow mammoths and can be found throughout the verse, but are extremely rare.

You walk back to your ship. "What the hell was that all about?". You recall that your encounter with the animal happen during the night. "Is it nocturnal?" You ask. You sit and think for a second. "Hmm, maybe I should take a look at that area". You fly back over to the area and make sure to stay in your ship and hover over the area of the encounter. "Ohh..!". You see it. The Snow Mammoth is moving. There aren't any tracks in front of it, so it must be moving away from it's burrow, you think to yourself. You pan to the right and drift for a few seconds. You see a small clearing and what looks to be a small cliff. As you fly over you see the cave entrance. "gently caress it", you say. You yank your stick down and land the ship as quickly as possible. You run inside in a hurry and once your eyes adjust you stop moving and stop breathing in fear of your life. 2 baby Snow Mammoths are on both sides of you. Surrounded by beautiful crystals covering every surface of the cave and with 2 baby snow mammoths you are both thankful and terrified. The snow mammoths just stare at you blankly, no signs of aggression. One Snow mammoth walks away and the other chases it's sibling. As the babies walk away you take a closer look at their tusks, they're made out of the same crystal and their skin... has a slight shimmer? You pause and realize that what the men had been talking about at the bar was true.

Reality:

quote:

You land on Microtech as the guide told you. You join the queue of players.
"Here for the poo poo, man?"
"Yeah."
"Too bad it's on timer, been waiting here for 2 hours and had three 30ks in the meantime."
"Yeah, sucks, but what can we do."
You laugh awkwardly over FOIP as you wait for your poo poo turn, watching people kill respawning baby mammoths.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Dreams:

Reality:

"you take a closer look at their tusks, they're made out of the same crystal and their skin... has a slight shimmer? You pause and realize that what the men had been talking about at the bar was true....

...They will make good dildo material!"

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Remember that commando who wanted to climb a mountain, game crashed, and he couldn't find the same mountain again to re-try the climb?

And yet this other commando thinks he'll be able to re-find this random mammoth poo poo cave...

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/g4khcr/we_have_to_appreciate_the_bugs_we_get/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

Store Citizen: We have to appreciate the jankiness.

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018
Chris Roberts present: the first nonhumanoid creature introduced to the game will be space cows (the irony)

quote:

:colbert:
How exactly do they intend to maintain this level of detail while filling out hundreds of planets? I mean if star citizen is a 500 year project sure someone might make a respectable dent, but the universe is gonna be pretty dead if they don't find an intelligent way to automate this.

:shepspends:
Pipelines, technoligcal advancements, and economic growth.

:reddit:
They said due to terraforming a lot of planets will have similar biomes and thus share big parts of their fauna. These space cows for example origin from Terra, but can now be found around the universe.

:reddit:
That was explained in yesterday's Calling All Devs: Terraforming kills all current life on the subject planet, after which settlers bring animals with them to populate the new world. Because of this you'll see a lot of the same animals on many worlds.

Chris Robrets, world building genius thought of everythong.

Megalobster fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 25, 2020

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Remember that commando who wanted to climb a mountain, game crashed, and he couldn't find the same mountain again to re-try the climb?

And yet this other commando thinks he'll be able to re-find this random mammoth poo poo cave...

SC is stil young for a project of this scope.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I;m thinkin bout thos mo-cap sessions

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Cows and being locked in a cave sure sounds like a space game to me.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
No roadmap this week updates? thats always my favorite

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

biglads posted:

moo-cap

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Pixelate posted:

SC is stil young for a project of this scope.

Early days, early days.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Nicholas posted:

No roadmap this week updates? thats always my favorite

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/17570-Roadmap-Roundup-April-24th-2020

:trustme: Notable Changes for April 24th, 2020
The following card has moved into Polishing on the PU Roadmap:
* Contacts List Refactor/Friends List Unification

:shrug:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/squadron-42-progress-didn-t-cig-say-they-will-adju/2960310

:argh: How come more than 1 month passed than this was stated, and more than several months than anything has changed on the Sq42 roadmap and this is still ignored? How's it going guys? You making any progress?

:trustme: CIG Molly@mollybot-CIG Hello! Yes, we're working on an updated way to share our progress on SQ42, and are doing that with the feedback y'all have given us in mind. We've been experimenting with converting our internal sprint blocks into something we can display and maintain publicly. We're actually really excited to share more on this soon. Also, we'll have Brian Chambers back in front of the camera to give us another update on the team and how things are going in the very near future.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Space cows, mines, prisons, hotdogs, shopping malls, improved trains, dangerous weather, new elevator panels.

Everything about the latest developments is about the on foot experience in this space game with $500+ dollars spaceships. Wait, now sometimes you can respawn in your ship if it is expensive enough to have a bed so that's worth it.

Quavers posted:

:trustme: CIG Molly@mollybot-CIG Hello! Yes, we're working on an updated way to share our progress on SQ42, and are doing that with the feedback y'all have given us in mind. We've been experimenting with converting our internal sprint blocks into something we can display and maintain publicly. We're actually really excited to share more on this soon. Also, we'll have Brian Chambers back in front of the camera to give us another update on the team and how things are going in the very near future.[/i]

quote:

coming soon sounds good

quote:

Sounds like 2014

:laffo:

trucutru fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 25, 2020

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

trucutru posted:

Space cows, mines, prisons, hotdogs, shopping malls, improved trains, dangerous weather, new elevator panels.

Everything about the latest developments is about the on foot experience in this space game with $500+ dollars spaceships. Wait, now sometimes you can respawn in your ship if it is expensive enough to have a bed so that's worth it.

:laffo:

"We can't make what we sold you. But here's what we can make."

"...sort of."

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Dreams:

Reality:

Imagine this: you come home after a long day at your job where you understand software development and step into your man cave. "Star Citizen" you mumble to yourself as you turn on your $7,000 computer and run Star Citizen - the best drat space sim and FPS ever made. You watch your character's legs get into a spaceship while you message a friend's helmet in the game - they're also your friend on a forum, a seamless integration.

The rest of your free time is spent flying a spaceship your peers could only dream of spending disposable income on, and drinking cocktails that were mo-capped in a cool nightclub - on the moon! Your super hot real life wife begs you for sex, but you're too busy having sex with your virtual wife in New Babbage. Afterwards, you blast rocks with a laser, and watch your heart rate while doing so.

This is why FUD will never beat Chris Robert's vision.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

colonelwest posted:

Star Citizen’s lore is just a lovely collage of ideas from other sci-fi franchises. Like there’s an ecumenopolis in the same system and the UEE even built a planet from scratch in another system, but they still want to throw around arbitrary resource/engineering limits.

Hah! That manufactured planet is a universally known boondoggle in the empire and has been a worthless money sink for years! Read the lore you goddamn goon refudian.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

"Terraforming kills all current life on the subject planet, after which settlers bring animals with them to populate the new world. Because of this you'll see a lot of the same animals on many worlds."

Raises hand

Ummm.. in that case, why didn't they take cows from Earth instead?

Then we could make jokes like: "Is that cow Fresian?" "Nah, looks quite warm really".

But isn't this a massive walkback on all the unique worlds that CIG touted? Alien species, alien life, alien stuff?

Nope, now its going to be copy/paste all over.

Still, on the other hand, maybe this is part of CIG finally waking up to the fact that they can't do half of the things they promised over the years.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

biglads posted:

I think you mean moo-cap.

EDIT: drat, someone beat me to it.

There again, its a joke that is worth milking!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
At this point, I’m actually surprised Crobear doesn’t just flat out deny making all those ludicrous promises, evidence be damned.

It works for Trump on a daily basis.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Promises are source of money for Roberts, Trump gets funded by taxes no matter what. Quite otherwise, I am surprised Roberts isn't promising more, more, more, since that's what makes the money flow. Patch was lackluster? But they promised these thirty features! Time to send more money to make it happen!

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

BigglesSWE posted:

At this point, I’m actually surprised Crobear doesn’t just flat out deny making all those ludicrous promises, evidence be damned.

It works for Trump on a daily basis.

"When I said 100 solar systems on launch- I was being sarcastic."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Actually this prison gameplay is perfect. We can just assume that other jobs will follow the same method! If you work a night bartender job you could either interact with a lovely UI for 8 hours...or just log off, go to bed, and wake up to a job well done!

It's like EVE Online skills except somehow even less fulfilling.