Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

DoubleNegative posted:

Nah, the only way that the infection affects gameplay is that it makes Warpers hostile.

Also if you ever decided to take your gloves off, you'll see the character's skin change. It's a slight hint for later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Just so we're all on the same page, I've added a few more mods to the game. Again, nothing gamebreaking.

Time Capsule Scanner - Pops up a small notice in the upper left corner whenever the game generates a time capsule nearby.

I'd like to show off more Time Capsules for the LP and the way things are going, we're never again going to see one. So having a notice that one is nearby will only help. This doesn't guarantee we'll find it, though. If we move too far away from it, the game will quietly despawn it and that'll be that.

Snap Builder - Objects that I build will snap to a grid. 'nuff said.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I might just get the time capsule one as well. Even if my modlist is already getting pretty decent by this point. Even if its all mostly minor stuff barring one or two things.
Like laser cannons for the Seamoth. Eat poo poo Warpers. :getin:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Say hypothetically that you were asked to name and give a color scheme for the three vehicles in the game. What would you pick?

Seamoth: Small, fast, speedy. We know it, we love it!
PRAWN Suit: Invincible, slow moving. Capable of destroying the world and everything in it and not noticing or caring.
Cyclops: Large, unwieldy, mobile command post. Can carry either the Seamoth or the PRAWN in its cargo hold

If you want to contribute, just gimme a name, a base color, a secondary color, and another secondary color!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

In my case I went with:

Seamoth: Seabee. Even painted it yellow on the outside with a black stripe. :3:
PRAWN suit: Only got 1 part of it so far lol
Cyclops: Seaquest. Haven't painted it yet. Also a loving battery hog even with efficency upgrade.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Bee colours is great for the seamoth :3:

I have no opinion on the other two, and need someone to suggest something good that I can bandwagon onto

azren
Feb 14, 2011

PRAWN Suit: Colossus. Main: Silver, secondary: red and yellow. https://imgur.com/gallery/CIWvz

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I just painted all of mine in an eye-searing combination of pink and green. Would fit the Cyclops pretty nicely, I think!
Seabeewasp sounds great.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 20, 2020

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Prawn: The Fishpuncher9000, raw black all round. :black101:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Delphinus

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Klaus88 posted:

Prawn: The Fishpuncher9000, raw black all round. :black101:

The DrillerKiller

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Go for a Great White Shark colouring on the Cyclops

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I painted my Prawn purple, gold, and silver and named it Prawny Gat.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

Say hypothetically that you were asked to name and give a color scheme for the three vehicles in the game. What would you pick?

Seamoth: Small, fast, speedy. We know it, we love it!
PRAWN Suit: Invincible, slow moving. Capable of destroying the world and everything in it and not noticing or caring.
Cyclops: Large, unwieldy, mobile command post. Can carry either the Seamoth or the PRAWN in its cargo hold

If you want to contribute, just gimme a name, a base color, a secondary color, and another secondary color!

I don't know about the PRAWN, but for the Cyclops, well, We All Live In A Yellow Submarine.

also it took me way too long to realise that the moon was behind it in your picture rather than it having an enormous bubble dome on top

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

inflatablefish posted:

for the Cyclops, well, We All Live In A Yellow Submarine.

Yes, this, both name and colour. And for the PRAWN, prawns are pink (when cooked) and name it SCAMPI. The Seamoth needs racing stripes, perhaps in British racing green, but I can't think of a good name.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Seamoth: Coelacanth from XCOM TFTD, yellow with silver and magenta. https://imgur.com/DRjwAuy
PR0N: Lobsterman orange with yellow and black. https://imgur.com/j3E3RlF
Cyclops: Triton silver with yellow and blue. https://imgur.com/6iCNNeH

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
There's only option for the Prawn.

Name: Power Suit
Colors: Yellow, Gold, Red.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I went bright yellow with black lines for all my vehicles, because it made them way easier to find in the darker parts of the sea when I needed to return to them. :v:

Seabee
Bumblebee
Queen Bee

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Shei-kun posted:

There's only option for the Prawn.

Name: Power Suit
Colors: Yellow, Gold, Red.

...Can I change my vote? Because this is way better.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Hmmmmmm
Seamoth: Scootypuff Mk4, blue and pink because why not.
Cyclops: Sealab Pod C, aquamarine and blue
PRAWN: Mr Punchyfish, red and black.

Pod C are jerks!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

#10 - Floating Island

There's some more stuff in the video after the main part is over, so stay seated until the end screen comes up. It was recorded yesterday morning, so if you're sharp-eyed you can see a few suggestions I've taken and implemented!

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

This is the island I discovered first through random exploration. I hadn't built any kind of base, yet, so getting the prefab buildings was big for me; I didn't consider you could build a base out of tubes!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I forgot that you could use bulkheads as surface doors. Need to fix up my mountain retreat a bit.
Also once again one of those situations where I wish you could repair stuff that is already there. Even if the floating island is frankly a bit so and so as a base location compared to gun island.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

The clouds hiding the Floating Island and Gun Island are so obvious once you know what to look for that I've never bothered placing beacons on them.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm surprised you didn't follow the breadcrumbs from Keen's lifepod. You didn't pick up the log that contains the coordinates for the rendezvous! That's the normal way for finding the island, I think, although a good thing about Subnautica is there's usually at least two directions to discover all the important stuff.

I remember when I first activated the gate to the floating island, stepped out to find that I was indeed on the island... then had a hell of a time finding the gateway cave again. Never did manage to get back there, I ended up swimming all the way back to the gun island for my Seamoth.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Tenebrais posted:

I remember when I first activated the gate to the floating island, stepped out to find that I was indeed on the island... then had a hell of a time finding the gateway cave again. Never did manage to get back there, I ended up swimming all the way back to the gun island for my Seamoth.
Same here. And I didn't pack my Seaglide because I figured the Seamoth would make it obsolete.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
I appreciate that it's really a loading screen, but that really is a hell of a long time in the stargate to only travel 2 kilometres. I was expecting you to come out either on a (tiny part of a) different planet, or in that alien thermal power station it mentioned.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

I had already discovered the island when I found the gate and I still spent a long rear end time trying to find my way back to it so I could get back to my Moth. Granted I also did the same with the Gun Island gate too until I realized all you had to do was to follow the cable.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Somehow the surface cave systems are even worse to navigate than the underwater cave systems, and I always end up getting lost in them.

Da_Higg
Oct 15, 2012

inflatablefish posted:

I appreciate that it's really a loading screen, but that really is a hell of a long time in the stargate to only travel 2 kilometres. I was expecting you to come out either on a (tiny part of a) different planet, or in that alien thermal power station it mentioned.

My only complaint with the game is how long the loading is, honestly it feels quicker to go by Seamoth than by stargate

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

Somehow the surface cave systems are even worse to navigate than the underwater cave systems, and I always end up getting lost in them.

I did get lost in an underwater cave once, to which I was glad I had managed to the Seamoth inside of there which mean I avoided drowning and it still had plenty of juice left in it.
Did get kinda annoying after a while though even if the spoils were decent.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019

Tenebrais posted:

I'm surprised you didn't follow the breadcrumbs from Keen's lifepod. You didn't pick up the log that contains the coordinates for the rendezvous! That's the normal way for finding the island, I think, although a good thing about Subnautica is there's usually at least two directions to discover all the important stuff.

Yeah, I like that there is some non-linearity possible. I actually found the next Delgasi base super early on in my playthrough, and then stumbled on the first much later via Keen's breadcrumbs as you mention

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

The game just casually mentions a lot of things that, if you decide to chase everything your AI tells you, you end up in some outrageously useful spots long before you're probably prepared to be.

It's really charming

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The Floating Island almost solves any survival woes you have between the interior growbeds, lantern fruit, chinese potatoes and marblemelons.

It did completely solve it once, before the devs nerfed how much hunger the produce restored. Because people complained about that :v:
Now you're going to hurt yourself from over-hydrating (that's a game mechanic in fact, over-filling your hunger/thirst meters by 20 or so points hurts you) before you'll satiate yourself on the plants alone.

So really, hunger stays a survival mode challenge until you get infinite peepers/reggies going to cook/salt at your leisure.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

I'm doing my first playthrough right now, and I'm a little behind the LP. I have had about the same amount of time in game, I think, but I haven't gotten through as much plot. I have almost every scan for later vehicles, but I lack almost all of the base items.

I'm saving my second playthrough to handle the survival mode

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

#11 - The Growing Base

A little downtime after that blitz of plot is never a bad thing. So gonna use this opportunity to expand the base and demonstrate some of the basic-rear end basics.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I suddenly have an urge to redo my plant beds, or fine tune them a bit. :v:

azren
Feb 14, 2011

So what is structural integrity used for? Like, I assume the base might be in danger of attack in more hazardous biomes, but what's it for here?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

azren posted:

So what is structural integrity used for? Like, I assume the base might be in danger of attack in more hazardous biomes, but what's it for here?

Adding more rooms lowers the integrity. If it ever drops below 0, the base will start taking damage and flooding. To drain the water, you have to add reinforcement or remove rooms to get back to positive integrity, and repair all the hull breaches with a repair tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

azren posted:

Most functional buildings reduce your base's structural integrity, reinforcements and foundations increase it. If it goes negative your base starts springing leaks. It's a material tax on having a large, complex base.