Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Non FFB wheels are essentially huge game pad joysticks

This is true. For "settings" you have to set the game to Playing with a Controller or whatever the setting or checkbox is. I actually played for like a month with a controller and getting the cheap wheel was a night and day switch from the handheld for sure.

As far as the peddles go they are ok, though admittedly I have nothing to compare them too. They are fairly responsive even at the slightest touch. And the brake side has more resistance than the gas side which makes the brake easy enough to modulate though I've heard peddle upgrades are one of the things that will instantly improve your lap times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

speedtek posted:

Does anyone have experience with the Kia? I feel like I can get 2 or 3 good laps then the grip just disappears from the front tires. Am I crazy? Or am I maybe abusing them too much?

I like the Kia a lot and will always pick it over the Caddy. That said, it is a beast, and loves to understeer if you aren't crawling through turns. I try to pretend I'm driving in the rain when I'm racing it, it helps me predict it a little better.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I got my laptop AND TV today. Both early during a pandemic. What a lucky guy I am.

Well, iRacing sure soured my mood! What a loving pain in my rear end the setup is. What's the deal with the website/service/launcher setup? It's awful.
It took me forever just to get the game to launch on the correct monitor. I have 3 displays. 1, 2, 3. First launch 1, 2, 5 show up. Second launch its 1, 4, 5. Cool! Then once I've got that settled and have myself situated, it starts asking me to make inputs on the wheel while clicking dialog boxes with my mouse which is 6ft away at my desk.
I was about ready to quit when I remembered I had an old Logitech k400 keyboard downstairs.

Finish the wheel config and now I have to operate a bunch of super sensitive sliders with a lovely touch pad. No, arrow keys don't work for operating these sliders. Why would we allow you to enter a value into a text box? It's clearly a much better idea to dial in precise configs with a slider that moves 30 ticks at the slightest touch :argh:

I have to say though.. once I got into a test drive, the driving went a long way towards redeeming the game. I felt really great just getting a few clean laps in by myself. I can't wait to see what a race is like!

I have a few questions that I hope might save me a bit of sanity tomorrow when I attempt to dial in my wheel a bit more.
1. Can I map menu controls to my wheel? Please tell me I am a big dummy and that I missed something

2. The number of controls that were left unmapped after completing initial setup was rather daunting. Are there any big items I should be mapping to my wheel that I might have glossed over?

3. Also daunting are the wheel force feedback setup options. I have no idea what most of it means. Any good guides I can peruse? I am using a Thrustmaster T300 RS

4. Which is less awful: the beta launcher thing, or the website?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
First up: you need a mouse. Almost all of your early gripes with setup are because you don't have a mouse. Even if you just have one hanging off the side of your desk and use your leg as a pad or something, you need it.

1. Black box incar menus? Yes. Out of car navigation menus? No: you need a mouse.

2. The control screen covers every car in the game, including all kinds of weird hybrid poo poo from the F1 and P1 cars. Rookie series you don't need anything (except black box controls, definitely map these), as you advance the most important are: pit limiter, visor tear off, and if you want to drive Indy, weight jacker.

3. I think the forums have a section dedicated to wheel configs, there's probably something there you can plug in and forget about. Otherwise someone here will probably have a T300RS config they can post.

4. I find the website easier because it runs faster and I already know where everything is. Plus you can pretty much do everything you need from the drop downs in the top panel. Personal choice though. I think there are some obscure events that nobody runs like Time Attack that are only launchable from beta ui, but nobody runs them so who cares.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
It looks like it pulled my name from my payment method for my usename. Is this just like the official dox thread?

Is there anyway to change it? Do most people? The idea of using my real name online is very weird after growing up online.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Math You posted:

It looks like it pulled my name from my payment method for my usename. Is this just like the official dox thread?

Is there anyway to change it? Do most people? The idea of using my real name online is very weird after growing up online.

yeah I think it uses your real name all the time, i dont like it either but I dunno a way around it

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
If you can give good reason for a change you can request one, I think 'can be linked to an online name I want to keep anonymous for personal reasons' can count. The alternative name does have to be something sensible though, you're not going to be able to go by 'Math You'. Think Louis Krages/"John Winter" etc.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I use a wireless trackball on my rig. Since its always in the same place its easy to find in VR.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
I was really excited about this after my first 'trial' race I posted about earlier this week, immediately bought a year subscription, installed Trading Paints, got everything configured and... haven't had time to do a single race :v:

Anyway, I applied to Gooncar, but you all mostly run Skip barber and/or oval tracks right? I'll see how it goes but my plan is to stick to the MX-5 for awhile. Ovals don't really interest me, I'm not opposed to trying them out but I feel like it would require a lot more spatial awareness than I have, especially with my janky single-monitor setup.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Gooncar tends to run as much free content as we can, there's usually only 1-2 paid tracks per season and we tend to use the same handful of those.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Vando posted:

If you can give good reason for a change you can request one, I think 'can be linked to an online name I want to keep anonymous for personal reasons' can count. The alternative name does have to be something sensible though, you're not going to be able to go by 'Math You'. Think Louis Krages/"John Winter" etc.

Oh, this works? I’ve always held off on streaming iracing for this very reason

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

I was really excited about this after my first 'trial' race I posted about earlier this week, immediately bought a year subscription, installed Trading Paints, got everything configured and... haven't had time to do a single race :v:

Anyway, I applied to Gooncar, but you all mostly run Skip barber and/or oval tracks right? I'll see how it goes but my plan is to stick to the MX-5 for awhile. Ovals don't really interest me, I'm not opposed to trying them out but I feel like it would require a lot more spatial awareness than I have, especially with my janky single-monitor setup.
I found that single monitor racing leads you to develop a sixth sense of where an out of sight car is likely to be. An imperfect sixth sense, admittedly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There is a check box you can set to make the options be for the current car. You just have to remember to check it before saving your settings.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Does FOV really matter thaaat much? I used the Mathematically Perfect One True Formula™ and even with my wide rear end monitor right up behind the wheel it's recommending my FOV should be 47 degrees. I feel like I'm looking through a drat straw

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

sum posted:

Does FOV really matter thaaat much? I used the Mathematically Perfect One True Formula™ and even with my wide rear end monitor right up behind the wheel it's recommending my FOV should be 47 degrees. I feel like I'm looking through a drat straw

As you would be if you put cardboard boxes around a car and cut out a monitor sized window.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

sum posted:

If it didn't matter, people wouldn't bring it up all the time.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh, this works? I’ve always held off on streaming iracing for this very reason

I will be watching for James Balles-Drôle (thanks Google translate)

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
I love idiots who have no idea how to drive on a Plate track, who have no idea how to pass, and then who have no idea how to hold a line.

Oh wait I don't love any of those things and this guy is a loving idiot
https://gfycat.com/poorpolishedlacewing

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

drat that one truck got some air!

I almost filed an intentional wrecking protest last night, but decided to wait and watch the replay after a nights sleep. Glad I did. Moron didn’t intentionally door slam me in turn 1 (Arca race at Richmond) and then intentionally spin me right after on the backstretch, he just had no idea how to drive.

Incident happened on lap 11 so I watched his cockpit view on the replay and his wheel was all over and he was overdriving entry and it was a mess. So I messaged him and apologized for getting pissed and offered to help him if he wanted it. I’m not the best driver by far but I know how to be smooth and how to let faster cars pass me without wrecking them.

Evig Vandrar
Jan 15, 2017
This one just came up, can someone give me some feedback on it? Seems to have FFB.

https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-Ferrari-Experience-Racing-Wheel-PS3/dp/B00140R0XK

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Evig Vandrar posted:

This one just came up, can someone give me some feedback on it? Seems to have FFB.

https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-Ferrari-Experience-Racing-Wheel-PS3/dp/B00140R0XK

No FFB, that's a bungee cord wheel.

The key with thrustmaster wheelbases is if they have a thin, maybe 4 or 5 inch high wheelbase (the "body" that the wheel attaches to and contains all of the guts of the wheel) like the one above, its bungee.

If they have a tall base thats nearly the height of the wheel, I like these below, they are FFB

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 26, 2020

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Evig Vandrar posted:

I bought the Thrustmaster TMX Pro for $200 and I like it. Good luck finding them though, wheels are hard to come by.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9K9N33/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_djzPEb1B78X46

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What the hell happened to decent cheap wheel options? I remember 10 years ago, there were 3-4 good entry level options and all the ones I can find used go for more than they cost new!

I have one of these sitting in my closet:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/fanatec-porsche-911-carrera-wheel-review-discussion.1337842/

I think it's in good condition but I'd have to test.

I also have the heavy metal plate that screws to the pedals so they don't side around (required, imo).

I might not be able to find the metal tubes that you use to mount the 6 speed shifter but they were garbage anyways and flexed too much so I recommend finding another way to mount it.

I'll let it go for $80 + whatever shipping costs. PM me if you want it. Just pass it on when you upgrade - apparently old wheels are solid gold.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
NASCAR started streaming on iracing and everyone went nuts buying wheels and subscriptions.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
:siren: Gooncar tonight! :siren:

Simple introductory road race, MX-5 at Laguna Seca. 21:40 UTC (~3 hours from this post).

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I'm pretty sure the Xbox 360 wireless steering wheel can work on PC. Might be something to look into if you are just looking for something cheap and don't mind used.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Vando posted:

:siren: Gooncar tonight! :siren:

Simple introductory road race, MX-5 at Laguna Seca. 21:40 UTC (~3 hours from this post).

I applied to run with you guys so we can all wreck together. :love:

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I put in a request to join the league. What's the difference between a team and a league anyway?
Now to practice Laguna Seca...

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

KillHour posted:

I applied to run with you guys so we can all wreck together. :love:

You have no idea how true this statement is.

Math You posted:

I put in a request to join the league. What's the difference between a team and a league anyway?
Now to practice Laguna Seca...

A team are people you drive cooperatively with. A league are people you drive "competitively" with. Using quotes because GoonCar isn't particularly competitive.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

You have no idea how true this statement is.

I do because I spent all week in the skip and will probably understeer into the gravel trap on every corner.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You can still find Driving Force GT’s for cheap and they are FFB.

That’s about it though.

I stuck sooooo many hours into GT Sport with a DFGT running through a GIMX adapter, it’s a good wheel

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, the DFGT definitely hits the bar of "good enough". There's plenty of reasons to want better if you keep going, but they're perfectly good wheels to start with.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So how do I actually join the session?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

somethingawful bf posted:

I'm pretty sure the Xbox 360 wireless steering wheel can work on PC. Might be something to look into if you are just looking for something cheap and don't mind used.

I tried to do this and did eventually get the wheel to work on PC but never got any FFB out of it on PC.

Skip the 360 wheel IMO.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Got it. Had to wait for it to start.

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
Nice to see more new names for GoonCar. I’d recommend joining the Discord and associated Mumble, and if you ever have a black flag, either ask on voice or in text chat to have it cleared (just include your car number).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I didn't run into anyone :yayclod:

Banzai 3 posted:

Nice to see more new names for GoonCar. I’d recommend joining the Discord and associated Mumble, and if you ever have a black flag, either ask on voice or in text chat to have it cleared (just include your car number).

I looked in the OP but I didn't see one.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 26, 2020

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

KillHour posted:

I looked in the OP but I didn't see one.

Moved info to top of OP to make it easier to find.

Also that was 17 cars for Gooncar, approaching the peak of last summer. Let's see if we can break 20 car fields for the first time ever in the next few weeks.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Gooncar was fun. First time racing Laguna Seca in the SIM with driving line forced off was a tad hairy, but at least I didn't hit anyone!

Would be nice if the game supported drop in lobbies, or had something like the Gran Turismo licensing modes instead of a bunch of YouTube videos.. I think the second item in particular would fit into their image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What I'd really like to see is a learning mode - drive to a specific point on the track and hit a button to mark the start of a sector; hit the button again to mark the end the sector. The game then lets you drive that section over and over, starting with whatever speed and trajectory you had the first time.

A virtual tutor giving you advice over the radio would be great, but probably really hard to implement.