Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Continuity RCP posted:

The only job I ever really liked was helping out at a place that made lab tables. Cutting steel box section and using an angle grinder to clean up welds, it was loving great. Beat the poo poo out of fast food or cafe work

If money (and the almost complete disappearance of the job) were no object I'd go back to working in a photo lab in an instant. Hits just the right sweet spots in physical and mental activity that you feel like you've done a good days work, with enough downtime to catch up on reading/just general daydreaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Uprising of the proleteriat! Death to the bourgeoisie menace! I'll do the wiki!

EDIT: Wiki laptop just died, please donate to my Kickstarter for a new proleterian laptop.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Mebh posted:

I'm thinking of setting up my weights in the garden and leaving them outside, possibly using my BBQ cover to keep the power rack covered so it doesn't get moist with dew overnight. Storing the weight discs themselves in the shed. I'm not sure if that's a fools errand and the pins in the thing are going to rust since it's an adjustable rack and then just kill me one day. Maybe I can stretch to investing in a solid A-frame style power rack in a few months.

Lucky neighbours :heysexy:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i think this makes us the country with the highest death rate?

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1254055422845235200?s=20

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I've done fast food and pubs and enjoyed it to a degree, the poo poo pay and long hours less so and I've also done long stretches of office work before deciding to change tack and try and fix one of the things office workers love to a break. What I found was when I worked in offices, was that you to have be able to tolerate and/or enjoy your job, your colleagues and your boss and as soon as you start to loathe one of those, it doesn't matter about the other two because you will just soon start to absolutely hate waking up in the morning

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jose posted:

:britain:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
gently caress me sideways

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I think they might have struggled to shift them with the corona buying and it's either that or chuck the bastards. We sold a whole pallet of the things for about the same price one year.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Mebh that's a very similar setup to mine. You can get surface protecting lubricants that leave a waxy residue and are good for several months as an aerosol. I'd put that on the box section and any exposed metal you aren't touching like the outer sleeves of the Olympic bar. Proper bars have roller bearings in the sleeves, I'd inject a good bit of grease in there if I was leaving them outside. You can get cheap tarps and bungees to cover stuff when not in use, but make sure they're well tensioned against the wind. The weights aren't going to be wrecked by a bit of surface rust but weights tend to keep resale value if they're in good nick and good quality so if you ever plan on selling them maybe store them indoors.

E: also if you are doing weights where the neighbours can see you better be prison ripped :getin:

StarkingBarfish fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 25, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/Ian_Fraser/status/1253954750107836416?s=20

got to admit, going so far as to literally make your own science to "follow" is p ingenious

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Josef bugman posted:

I don't mind administration if it is towards a goal I agree with. Most of the time though it is just "make email go faster".

I went out to get food today and I hate that I don't have enough space in my bags (I have a rucksack and a large carry all) to carry 10 days worth of food. I couldn't fit the drat bananas in and just left them behind. Now I won't go out for at least another 4 days.

In happier news, I am now an Uncle! My Brother and his wife were expecting but apparently baby Milo was loving huge and they had to keep the mum in overnight. He was almost 9 pounds.

Congrats Bugman!! I love my siblings' kids so much, you get all the fun bits and they worship you and you don't have to deal with the drudgery parts of parenthood.

e: work chat. I tried office work once or twice and I loving hate it. I really like retail work and especially pharmacy work but the pay is poo poo and if you work for a big chain there's just an endless stream of dehumanising nonsense poured on you from head office. I fuckin love customer interaction but management suuuucks in literally every company I've worked for. I suppose I should try to get work in an independent but the security there is ropey as gently caress.

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 25, 2020

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Congrats Bman! I became an uncle at the end of last year, it's pretty great. Although I've only seen her once this year, at the very start of January, and while I get lots of pictures sent it's really driving home how much I'm missing due to lockdown :( I don't think I'll get to see her again until she's walking and possibly talking. I try not to think about that.

Anyway, sorry - you won't miss the really good stuff, so don't worry. Just the period where they pretty much exclusively just scream and poo poo.

Also, Dominic Cummings is a creepy, frightening nihilist who clearly bears genuine ill will to the human race and wants it to suffer. It's genuinely loving abnormal

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Soylent Yellow posted:

I'm not 100% convinced we'll see a second lockdown this autumn or winter. I'm not saying that we won't get a big surge of virus cases, just that I wouldn't be surprised to see just a token lockdown. By then, I'm expecting the Government to have been lobbied hard and long by the Number Must Go Up crowd, and have had plenty of time to come up with a justification for why grandma has to die to keep the shops open. Expect a lot of propaganda about how we're ready for it this time, and a packet of facemasks in the post.

yeah, the priority now is to make us okay with X number of excess deaths every "covid season". we are literally living through the end of the world rather than even *imagining* a *slight tweak* to capitalism, never mind the end.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

Naah. We're probably still behind Spain and Italy (although we're catching up), and we're definitely still behind America. Remember that most Western countries are using the exact same janky death measures we are.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
I'd imagine we'll end above Italy as we've already hit higher daily deaths, and we're far more densely populated and less locked down. Not by a magnitude, maybe we'll keep slightly below Spain, but there or there abouts probably. It could be comparatively tiny compared to developing countries however unless we find a treatment before it hits the southern hemisphere.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Darth Walrus posted:

Naah. We're probably still behind Spain and Italy (although we're catching up), and we're definitely still behind America. Remember that most Western countries are using the exact same janky death measures we are.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

I think this is a couple of days behind, but we're sitting at 5th for official deaths per capita. The US is at 10th. They have the highest absolute deaths, but that's spread out over a much larger population.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/zeegunner1/status/1254056640699039744?s=20

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Soylent Yellow posted:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

I think this is a couple of days behind, but we're sitting at 5th for official deaths per capita. The US is at 10th. They have the highest absolute deaths, but that's spread out over a much larger population.

What's Belgium doing :stonk:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Terrible how all these old racist twats keep spontanously falling over backwards.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

sinky posted:

apparently using honest reporting i.e. deaths in care homes

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Barry Foster posted:

Also, Dominic Cummings is a creepy, frightening nihilist who clearly bears genuine ill will to the human race and wants it to suffer. It's genuinely loving abnormal

Given all his ~game theory~ focus I wouldn't be surprised if it's just cold, actuarial pragmatism. Not driven by emotion but the beeps and the boops. The kind of person who'd solve the trolley problem by running it down one track, reversing and running it down the other, and now the tracks are clear and the transport network can Get On With It

it's the Kill All The Poor sketch only without the feigned moral outrage because that's a waste of time. This lot absolutely want the UK past this pandemic one way or the other, running at full speed when the brexit transition ends. And they're definitely the kind to see old and vulnerable people as a drag on the economy

HopperUK posted:

e: work chat. I tried office work once or twice and I loving hate it. I really like retail work and especially pharmacy work but the pay is poo poo and if you work for a big chain there's just an endless stream of dehumanising nonsense poured on you from head office. I fuckin love customer interaction but management suuuucks in literally every company I've worked for. I suppose I should try to get work in an independent but the security there is ropey as gently caress.

last pharmacy interaction I had was they were only letting two people in at a time, so when it was my turn they had a desk near the door, and the person working it went to the counter to get the stuff. There was another lady in the corner watching the shop, so I asked her how it was going, she said oh yknow you have to make the best of it, I asked if she'd been getting any trouble from anyone, and then she got called to the counter because she didn't actually work there and I was asking some random woman weirdly personal questions

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

sinky posted:

Counting carehome deaths in the statistics, mainly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ireland I think is also being far more honest with the reporting than most places.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mebh posted:

Hey weightlifting/more handy goons. I've got a question and I wonder if anyone here has some advice.

I have a large amount of home weightlifting kit; power rack, couple benches, 300kg of weights, barbell etc. It's all sitting in my shed & under my bed since I moved to the UK as none of the rooms in the house were big enough to accommodate the length of an olympic barbell without the small chance of me putting out a window or destroying a large section of drywall if I gently caress up. As a result I haven't set any of it up.

Here's what my setup in my basement where I used to live in Spain looked like (with feline helpers/trainers making sure I keep to a schedule) for an idea of how much we're talking of. Nothing crazy:

(ignore that plug hanging off the wall, that's a feature of houses in Spain, seriously)

So, to my question, I have a lovely albeit tiny English country garden now:

I'm thinking of setting up my weights in the garden and leaving them outside, possibly using my BBQ cover to keep the power rack covered so it doesn't get moist with dew overnight. Storing the weight discs themselves in the shed. I'm not sure if that's a fools errand and the pins in the thing are going to rust since it's an adjustable rack and then just kill me one day. Maybe I can stretch to investing in a solid A-frame style power rack in a few months.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Or even just lifting outside. I assume i'll need to seriously 'flatten' some of the ground and put some paving slabs down so there's a stable base, similar to what the shed is resting on. I'm also considering investing in a gazebo or cover or something to keep it dry incase of rain but there's insane winds here so I don't know if anything less than a permanent structure will hold. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I'm doing garden sessions but I keep the oly bar inside when I'm not using it, and I don't do anything that needs a rack anyway (OHP, cleans, landmine stuff where I plant one end in the dirt like a peasant). It's been nice. Wouldn't worry about the ground being perfectly flat, grass is probably better than my old twisted deck and it's fine.

Maybe just make think of setting up all your gear as part of the warmup. And if you do leave it out every now and again it's not going to do irreparable damage right away (unless someone nicks it).

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

apparently using honest reporting i.e. deaths in care homes

Is there anywhere in the UK that is counting/reporting care home deaths? Here in Canada it's a huge proportion of overall deaths and where a lot of outbreaks are happening, definitely in British Columbia anyway. I can't see how it would be any different in the UK?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not different, care homes are charnel houses at the moment but the government doesn't want people to think about that because it makes them look bad.

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

Robot Mil posted:

Is there anywhere in the UK that is counting/reporting care home deaths? Here in Canada it's a huge proportion of overall deaths and where a lot of outbreaks are happening, definitely in British Columbia anyway. I can't see how it would be any different in the UK?

here

Edit: I realize that's not a direct answer to your first question but more for the chaser.

Active Quasar fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 25, 2020

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Robot Mil posted:

Northern Ireland is, it's about doubling the rates.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

StarkingBarfish posted:

E: also if you are doing weights where the neighbours can see you better be prison ripped :getin:

lol nah, let it all hang out.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I just got my remote desktop access sorted out, so I can officially be as unproductive at home as I am when I'm in the office. Hooray!

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

It's not different, care homes are charnel houses at the moment but the government doesn't want people to think about that because it makes them look bad.

Ah lovely, also means that they don't actually have to do anything about it. The care home outbreaks here have been a bit of a poo poo show and in Ontario they are calling in the army to somehow help, but at least they are acknowledging them and doing something. We've been super lucky here in BC really so far (and have pretty competent people in charge) but it still took them weeks to sort out issues like staff working at multiple care homes, spreading outbreaks. All probably related to terrible contracts meaning that staff have no choice but to work in multiple places under normal circumstances.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Robot Mil posted:

josh04 posted:

Northern Ireland is, it's about doubling the rates.

Yeah, NI is. I think its because the ONLY deaths in some areas are from nursing homes.
In my home area, there is only 10 deaths, and from local gossip we know at least 3-4 of those are from nursing homes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Frankly I'm going to be very surprised if I can see my nan again.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HopperUK posted:

Congrats Bugman!! I love my siblings' kids so much, you get all the fun bits and they worship you and you don't have to deal with the drudgery parts of parenthood.

Exactly! I am already planning presents and things. Of course it is likely I may not even be able to see him before the start of next year but eh.

Barry Foster posted:

Congrats Bman! I became an uncle at the end of last year, it's pretty great. Although I've only seen her once this year, at the very start of January, and while I get lots of pictures sent it's really driving home how much I'm missing due to lockdown :( I don't think I'll get to see her again until she's walking and possibly talking. I try not to think about that.

Same here tbh. I mean babies are very sweet but I prefer it when they can enjoy things and I can not be worried about breaking them because they are very small. The bit where you can push them around inside a laundry basket and they laugh about it is very fun, from what my dad tells me.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

have we mentioned that Grant Shapps is giving millions of pounds to some scheme to use drones to deliver medicine and medical supplies to hospitals?

like why not... just drive it there.......???

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I hate the idea of ever having kids (as does my partner), and I don't think my brother wants them either, but my mum and to a lesser extent my dad desperately want the experience of being grandparents, and I feel properly guilty for denying them that even though I know it's absolutely the best decision for me :(

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

baka kaba posted:

last pharmacy interaction I had was they were only letting two people in at a time, so when it was my turn they had a desk near the door, and the person working it went to the counter to get the stuff. There was another lady in the corner watching the shop, so I asked her how it was going, she said oh yknow you have to make the best of it, I asked if she'd been getting any trouble from anyone, and then she got called to the counter because she didn't actually work there and I was asking some random woman weirdly personal questions

We're only letting two people in at a time but it's a small shop, so the system is just me yelling 'NO MORE PLEASE WAIT OUTSIDE' at people which frankly I enjoy on some level, probably because I've been working retail for 20+ years and this is the first time I'm allowed to be so stern with customers. We've had some trouble. Not awful, just people being a bit lovely and selfish. No violence round here. But then it's a small town, if anyone got nasty there's a solid chance we'd know exactly who they are and where they live, and they'd be hosed for pharmacy service in future, the only other one's inside the big sainsbury's a mile off.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Robot Mil posted:

This lad on twitter has some excellent breakdowns of the figures. Click into the tweet to read his thread.

https://twitter.com/Care2much18/status/1252819591090155523?s=19

He is worth following as he explains how Vietnam's report of 0 Clvid 19 deaths is likely BS and how Chile is counting their numbers recovered from C19 by including the Dead. As they can't infect others. And why Carehomes are always going to get hit super hard by this.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

The bit where you can push them around inside a laundry basket and they laugh about it is very fun, from what my dad tells me.

But what about the baby having fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

I really feel like I dodged a bullet by never getting an office/admin job cos everything I read about it makes it sound horrible.

It is. Every single admin job I've done has been terrible. The current one is mildly better than most just because it's for a good cause but it's still dull and full of pointless busywork and bullshit jobs.