Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The load times don’t suck in the FF7 remake? I was only holding off so I could play it on an SSD eventually. I’m spoiled by my PC’s short load times and haven’t really been able to tolerate the PS4’s slow as hell loading lately.

I have a slim and I'm pretty sure I put in a 1TB SSD in it. I do not remember the acronym. It's not that they're lightning quick, it's a combination of A) They give you like 9 tool tips to read if you have to load somewhere and B) I haven't really been dying much so I haven't been annoyed by it personally. But I also don't notice frame rate differences until playing Control and looking at EDF gameplay so I probably the target market for this.

It's got a ton of low quality textures and no patch has come to fix it yet so be prepared to be annoyed by doors that'd fit right into Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I would really like a toggle in Stellaris to tell the computer that making a claim on any of the Inward Perfection xenophobes means in ten years I'm going to liberation war them for the third time and they should just stop doing that. "Surely this time the psionic monks who've destroyed us twice and hold us in utter contempt will fall before the might of our fleet that gets soundly routed by the death-fortress they built on our borders." seems like the kind of plan you'd eventually stop trying.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RareAcumen posted:

I have a slim and I'm pretty sure I put in a 1TB SSD in it. I do not remember the acronym. It's not that they're lightning quick, it's a combination of A) They give you like 9 tool tips to read if you have to load somewhere and B) I haven't really been dying much so I haven't been annoyed by it personally. But I also don't notice frame rate differences until playing Control and looking at EDF gameplay so I probably the target market for this.

It's got a ton of low quality textures and no patch has come to fix it yet so be prepared to be annoyed by doors that'd fit right into Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Ah, I have a launch PS4 where you really can’t get it to read at more than 200MB/s even if you jam an SSD in there, so it’d probably be painful. I’ll just wait a year for the inevitable PC port.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The load times don’t suck in the FF7 remake? I was only holding off so I could play it on an SSD eventually. I’m spoiled by my PC’s short load times and haven’t really been able to tolerate the PS4’s slow as hell loading lately.

FF7R load times aren't terrible but there are also plenty of slow climbing between walls sequences to mask additional load screens. It's noticeable but far from the worst I've seen.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!

RareAcumen posted:

Oh thank god I thought it was my system acting up. Those apartment doors :barf:

It seemed most prevalent in the Sector 7 slums area; though maybe I just wasn't looking as much as the game progressed.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oblique Angle posted:

Oh thank god I thought it was my system acting up. Those apartment doors :barf:

It seemed most prevalent in the Sector 7 slums area; though maybe I just wasn't looking as much as the game progressed.

It's wild. Take a look at some of the clutter around in the environment and it'll start to stick out.

I want to be clear, I'm still having a blast playing the game and getting my rear end kicked and swapping out my Materia to pummel them next round now that I know better.

But boy howdy, as I play more the definition between party members and the background starts making the game look like a mod. Like you're playing GMOD and you've added Phantom Pain Big Boss into it. I gasped when I saw a pot in a kitchen that was mostly hexagons instead of properly being round.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

FF7R load times aren't terrible but there are also plenty of slow climbing between walls sequences to mask additional load screens. It's noticeable but far from the worst I've seen.

Compared to the God of War solution that has you literally running in circles in a shapeless dark void to 'mask' load times, this is nothing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dienes posted:

Compared to the God of War solution that has you literally running in circles in a shapeless dark void to 'mask' load times, this is nothing.

The annoying part of that is it's forced on the player so the creative vision of one unbroken camera shot can be maintained. An ambitious idea that would have been better saved for the PS5.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Eh, I liked it and thought they pulled it off pretty well. It never jumped out to me in the way that an explicit loading screen would have.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lobok posted:

The annoying part of that is it's forced on the player so the creative vision of one unbroken camera shot can be maintained. An ambitious idea that would have been better saved for the PS5.

dungeon siege managed it in '02

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

swear to god RDR2 just straight up shuts off mechanics that it's kept pointing out in the open world for the past 60 hours if it wants you to play a mission The Correct Way. I can offer no proof but I'm willing to bet something mildly substantial on it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lobok posted:

I thought it was cool from a "this must have cost millions of dollars" standpoint but Hellblade essentially did the same exact thing a year earlier and it was more thematically relevant.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

My Lovely Horse posted:

swear to god RDR2 just straight up shuts off mechanics that it's kept pointing out in the open world for the past 60 hours if it wants you to play a mission The Correct Way. I can offer no proof but I'm willing to bet something mildly substantial on it.
Stealth is the most noticeable to me, as it seems to be based on cones of vision in the open world and on keeping within specific areas (where you can make as much noise as you like and even bring out the lantern which is loving hilarious at night) during missions

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Even MGSV isn't immune to stuff like that, e.g. it's both adorable and aggravating when you crawl around in perfect stealth but your dog pal is just happily trotting along beside you in full armor, and nobody notices a drat thing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FF7Remake

Every so often I'll turn the camera and get these after images coming off of something and I hate it, it's jarring.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

Even MGSV isn't immune to stuff like that, e.g. it's both adorable and aggravating when you crawl around in perfect stealth but your dog pal is just happily trotting along beside you in full armor, and nobody notices a drat thing.

He's just a dog.

One of the many reasons why the dog is the best companion in Far Cry New Dawn is that you can tell him to walk directly into an enemy base and he'll tag everyone inside without them reacting to him, because he's just a dog. It's actually kind of a bummer that they made all those other companions who presumably have interesting personalities and abilities and whatnot, but I never wanted to go without the dog's ability to highlight enemies and crafting materials through walls.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If you saw a dog with armor, a ballistic face mask and a knife would YOU want to gently caress with it?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:3:

New Dawn just didn't click with me, I need to give it another try to at least get to the dog buddy.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Leal posted:

If you saw a dog with armor, a ballistic face mask and a knife would YOU want to gently caress with it?

a dog, sure, but that's clearly a wolf

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

He's a dog, it's right there in his name :colbert:

vvv :colbert:

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 00:50 on Apr 26, 2020

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yeah and solid snake is a snake

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I got stuck on a boss fight in Control and instead of trying to look up how to beat it I tried to look up how to make the game less red. I find myself stopping to mess with the graphics settings every 15 minutes or so just to try to tell what is happening.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Brother Entropy posted:

Wolves is dogs.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Triarii posted:

One of the many reasons why the dog is the best companion in Far Cry New Dawn is that you can tell him to walk directly into an enemy base and he'll tag everyone inside without them reacting to him, because he's just a dog. It's actually kind of a bummer that they made all those other companions who presumably have interesting personalities and abilities and whatnot, but I never wanted to go without the dog's ability to highlight enemies and crafting materials through walls.
It works with the pig too, even if the pig sort of sucks in comparison.

I really wish the companion from New Eden had been one of their tamed cougars instead of the brainwashed protagonist of base FC5 who never talks, since the roster of fangs for hire is really lacking the sneaky archetype filled by cats in previous games.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Jesus Christ, Rockstar is really trying to make moral choices in RDR2 based purely on esoteric interface skill checks. Not only is "start asking if they need help" mapped to the same button as "aim at head" (and plenty of people complained about that already), "stop the horse to listen to the stranger" becomes "decline help and lock yourself out of this story chain with an instant autosave" if you don't let go of the left trigger fast enough. It's as if the Housers watched some GDC talks about making the evil path the easier one mechanically and weren't sure what that meant

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Ring Fit Adventure continues to be the only reason I'm in any kind of shape but about halfway through the main adventure it gets allergic to letting you just jog. I just now finished a session with over an hour of movement time and less than one mile jogged. It's annoying, I just want to chill out and run to advance the story a little but every 50 feet it's like TIME TO DO SQUAT BLASTERS TIL YOU poo poo

Also I don't like how this game thinks that squats in general are the easiest thing ever. I have two attacks of the same tier that do about the same damage, one is doing 22 overhead wide squats, the other is doing jazz hands for ~30 seconds. There's a stark loving difference in respective difficulty of these two sets, Nintendo!

And gently caress the squat cart. I don't even mind riding a cart powered by squats, but when it limps uphill two inches for every squat I want to kill myself.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Riatsala posted:

Ring Fit Adventure

Also I don't like how this game thinks that squats in general are the easiest thing ever.

One of the leg themed boss levels was really bad for this, because instead of jogging to the boss it started with around 30 something squat hold jumping things to get to the boss. My legs were done before I got to the boss.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
My first workout i had the difficulty up too high and picked squats and oops, that's 25 squats in a row and j went from 0 squats a day to 25 at once and had to take three days of breaks for my legs to feel normal again.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

It’s weird but it beats the bad old days of AI characters breaking stealth which was a nightmare.

Ruffian Price posted:

Jesus Christ, Rockstar is really trying to make moral choices in RDR2 based purely on esoteric interface skill checks. Not only is "start asking if they need help" mapped to the same button as "aim at head" (and plenty of people complained about that already), "stop the horse to listen to the stranger" becomes "decline help and lock yourself out of this story chain with an instant autosave" if you don't let go of the left trigger fast enough. It's as if the Housers watched some GDC talks about making the evil path the easier one mechanically and weren't sure what that meant

What drives me nuts is that they had all the budget and time in the world. Every fuckup in RDR2 is something that they tried and wanted to be that way.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The thing dragging ring fit adventure down is I can't find a copy of it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Nonsensical Nintendo manufactured scarcity will never make sense to me. You make the product, don't you want people to buy it?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It’s weird but it beats the bad old days of AI characters breaking stealth which was a nightmare.

Oh for sure, I appreciate how often its gameplay decisions skew towards fun/streamlining things at the expense of realism. Just a few of the biggest ones bug me a bit when they obviously break it, if I think too much. But this is a reality where everyone ignores mobile rocket hands flying around and decking people, I can just accept it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

bony tony posted:

Nonsensical Nintendo manufactured scarcity will never make sense to me. You make the product, don't you want people to buy it?

i don't think it's fair to blame nintendo for not expecting a global pandemic to make demand for their six month old game suddenly skyrocket

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bony tony posted:

To be fair, it is a specialty product that there was no guarantee would be popular so it isn't too weird that they ended up underproducing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Brother Entropy posted:

i don't think it's fair to blame nintendo for not expecting a global pandemic to make demand for their six month old game suddenly skyrocket

They’ve been doing that for ages, though, it’s why used Nintendo stuff like switch and 3DS games are so drat expensive.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ring Fit seems like a pretty big gamble though, an exercise game that requires you to strap joycons to yourself or use them with custom accessories? I probably wouldn't have started with very many either.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Yeah ring fit adventure is a real niche sounding proposal and doesn't seem like the thing that would sell loads.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I paid 280 dollars for mine because of these quarantine times :negative:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ring Fit seems like a pretty big gamble though, an exercise game that requires you to strap joycons to yourself or use them with custom accessories? I probably wouldn't have started with very many either.
My joycon’s stick’s thumbpad bent from me taking it out of the case. The joycons are so fragile I can’t imagine using it like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

My joycon’s stick’s thumbpad bent from me taking it out of the case. The joycons are so fragile I can’t imagine using it like that.

Yeah it's bonkers and it feels like a weird choice to use them that way rather than a complete custom accessory (although that'd probably screw up the price and demand even more). I feel kinda bad that I have a copy that's sitting idle because I don't want to risk the controllers right now, but I also don't completely want to pawn it off right now.