Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Jedit posted:

In the Panther's first appearance, Johnny Storm remarks on how amazingly advanced and civilised Wakanda is because they had white people stuff. If there was a political statement there, it was accidental.
It's less explicitly "white people stuff" and more "Johnny was skeptical that a flying ship and a satellite phone type thing too advanced for Reed Richards to figure out" could be coming from "an African chieftan", and also baked into that first appearance was that Wakanda had deliberately hidden its technology from the world to avoid more Klaw situations, so their outward projection (literally) to the world was a small nation of hunters and farmers living in grass huts. All of the members of the Fantastic Four were surprised that hidden under a Jungle Hologram was a futuristic city with hovercars and expensive hi-fis and etc.

It's a concept that got fleshed out and done with fewer clunkers by a bunch of creators since then working with Wakanda, and the Thing has some cringey lines about Boomba the Jungle Boy or whatever, but most of the dialogue is rooted in "how can this country that claims to be poor and agrarian have sci-fi laser guns?" and not "how can an African have nice things".

Also it's obviously cherry-picked, but the initial letter column response to Black Panther debuting is kind of fascinating; there are some negative letters, but pretty much every one is negative in a way that suggests that the FF book has been going downhill with all these lame new characters like Galactus, Silver Surfer, Black Panther, etc. Bring back the classic FF characters!

Some choice quotes from that period, not all of them about Black Panther but probably relevant to this thread on some level:

quote:

I was joyous about your breaking all the precedents of your profession, and introducing a Negro as a hero in the form of Sgt. Fury's Gabe Jones, and as the man-on-the-street. This subject, before the advent of Marvel, seemed to be an unwritten taboo, but now a real live Negro super-hero!!! This almost had me doing flip-flops and walking around in a daze, saying "This is good... this is good..."

(Stan's response to the above)

quote:

We too are fond of the Black Panther -- not because he's a Negro -- but because he's a right Joe! In fact, isn't this the most important lesson to be learned -- we're all entitled to our likes and dislikes -- nobody has to be a Pollyanna -- but let's base our opinions of a fellow human being on his basic qualities and character -- not on the color of his skin, the name of his God, or the place of his birth! Perhaps a comic mag isn't the proper place for this type of discussion... [or] possibly one of the best places of all! 'Nuff said!

quote:

But the main thing that made my heart sing is the latest in your concerted effort to bring comic literature to a more adult level by portraying members of races other than white. I have a feeling that the Black Panther will turn out to be the first great Negro hero-villain in comic book history!

quote:

Sue has to do something other besides standing around looking scared or loving or angry. What she needs is a good female villain to fight -- say some chick who tries to entice Ben or Johnny or even (horrors!) Reed away from the F.F.

quote:

[Your stories] have been steadily going down the drain ever since. The first step was the appearance of Galactus.. blah!!! FF #52 was as bad as issues #48-50. Galactus has his so-called "elemental converter", and the Black Panther his "jungle" of traps for the FF to surmount. The next thing you know, the FF will be be fighting "The Creature from Beneath the Garbage Can" with his uncanny "Onion Gun. Enough!! Enough new menaces for the FF to battle! Enough super-scientific hogwash!!!"

[quote]There is far more to college life than showing up the bragging quarterback and winning the game for good old Metro. What's your stand on dope and LSD on college campuses?

quote:

The Black Panther is one of your better characters, much superior to run-of-the-mill super space villains like Galactus.

quote:

I'll tell you the bare truth. The Black Panther stinks! A lot of your other villains do, but to add another to their ranks is unbearable. The Black Panther is entirely too ridiculous. One more thing -- cut the comedy! Your jokes have polluted all of your mags with corny nicknames and funnies. This letter may not change your views any but nevertheless, I will remain a loyal fan for many years. I have a small group of neighborhood friends who collect Marvel Comics and each shares my views in this letter.

quote:

One of my roommates flunked his draft test because he was spending more time reading and rereading Daredevil #18 than he was studying. His only question is, "Are Marvel Mags available in Saigon?"

quote:

I would like to congratulate you on your series of comic magazines -- also on your lively attack on Communism and your subtle use of real-life problems to bring out the best and the worst in your fantastic, wacky, wonderful superheroes.

Anyway this just reminds me in general of how silly the "keep your politics out of comics" and "imagine if STAN AND JACK had to deal with whiny ants on the Internet when creating their classics!" and a lot of other chestnuts people like to throw out are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Those late 60s comics are filled with "communist leaders are bad, but the people are good" stories.

The best (worst) is when Thor randomly interrupts cool god poo poo to go deal with Vietnamese soldiers.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Hell, I distinctly remember reading a Jack Kirby interview where he mentioned one of the motives for creating Black Panther was he realized they'd not created a black superhero and wanted to fix that.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I always figured Black Panther was just Kirby/Lee taking an old pulp trope (deep in the jungle there is this lost, isolated ancient civilization) and putting a twist on it (...that is actually high-tech with flying cars and computers and poo poo), flipping the script on who the actual primitives were.

Edge & Christian posted:

Also it's obviously cherry-picked, but the initial letter column response to Black Panther debuting is kind of fascinating; there are some negative letters, but pretty much every one is negative in a way that suggests that the FF book has been going downhill with all these lame new characters like Galactus, Silver Surfer, Black Panther, etc. Bring back the classic FF characters!
IIRC, Kirby was working up a whole bunch of new titles, his proposals got nixed, so he just shrugged and put all those concepts into FF - which is why there is that run of about 10-15 issues where it's just series of brilliant new ideas (the Inhumans and Silver Surfer and Galactus and Black Panther and ...) that just drop in, one after another, without pausing for breath. Just an astonishing effort - probably Kirby at the height of his powers.

If you go back to the 1990s USENET archives and look up alt.tv.simpsons postings, you'll see people panning all of the classic episodes when they were first aired. Whose idea was it to make an entire show about a stupid monorail? Bart didn't tell anyone to eat his shorts even once! I'm through with this show!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I don't know if it's real or not but I always loved the story about how some higher ups told Kirby to put more white people in BP and so next issue he had T'Challa beat up the KKK.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Retro Futurist posted:

I don't know if it's real or not but I always loved the story about how some higher ups told Kirby to put more white people in BP and so next issue he had T'Challa beat up the KKK.

It's not real, that story was written by Don McGregor and drawn by Rich Buckler and the great Billy Graham, one of the few black artists working at the big two at the time, starting in Jungle Action #19. It was still an ongoing plot when the book was cancelled. In fact the McGregor run was axed to make room for Kirby's auteur-turn on the relaunched Black Panther series, which was in comparison astonishingly apolitical.

Jungle Action btw is well-worth searching out if you haven't read it, it's way ahead of its time in how it treats seriality and is a pretty slick, smart political thriller with a lot of KKK guys getting beaten up.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 25, 2020

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Retro Futurist posted:

One part definitely didn't happen, in the sense that Jack Kirby never did any comics where Black Panther fought the Klan.

Don McGregor wrote a Black Panther vs. the Klan story, but I'm not aware of it having anything to do with editors (in this case I guess it would have been Marv Wolfman I guess) telling him to put more white people in the book.

And yeah, I read them all after the fact and out of release order but the jump from McGregor/Graham/et al Jungle Action Black Panther over to Jack Kirby High Adventure Black Panther (as featured in my avatar) must have been bonkers for the monthly reader. I'd say that BP run was intended to a Kirby spin on an Indiana Jones cash-in but it came out four years before Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I know both works share the sort of old pulpy serial adventure DNA, I'm just not sure why Kirby decided to apply it here.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 25, 2020

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I should have known, if it was a true Kirby story he'd have killed a few Nazis along the way

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Retro Futurist posted:

I should have known, if it was a true Kirby story he'd have killed a few Nazis along the way

Four. It was always four Nazis.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I'm now imagining a version of Mythical Bill Brasky Jack Kirby who is like Poet Laureate of the West/Monster Killer Dalton Wilcox.

Every Jack Kirby story goes "so Stan and Jack were sitting at a diner in Midtown and 60 Minutes had a feature on the surf craze. Jack gazes up at the television, transfixed by the body movement of the surfer at the crest of the wave. He tells Stan that he's got an idea for a new character. Then he gets up and shoots the line cook in the head. Jack was pretty sure he was a Nazi."

"Jack Kirby swung by Skywalker Ranch and everyone was absolutely starstruck. He nodded approvingly at some of the concept art for Jabba's Palace, and posed for a photo with George. Unfortunately, he lit the prop warehouse on fire and locked everyone in it, saying that he can smell a Nazi from fifty yards. We tried to explain it was a leftover maquette from Raiders of the Lost Ark, but he said he was too busy listening to the beautiful music of Nazi screams."

"Jack was getting up there but one day he was approached by a young Macauley Culkin at a signing at Golden Apple. The King took one look at him and tried to choke him out with a Doctor Who scarf, screaming HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT, FRITZ"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I assume all these stories are actually true. :colbert:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Kirby was going to do a story where the FF fight a Nazi Fantastic Four (the Furhrer’s Four), but he instinctively stabbed the sketches as soon as he finished drawing them.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Open Marriage Night posted:

Kirby was going to do a story where the FF fight a Nazi Fantastic Four (the Furhrer’s Four), but he instinctively stabbed the sketches as soon as he finished drawing them.

The only reason Kirby drew the Hate-Monger story in FF #21 is so that he could kill Hitler again. Kirby was later heard to remark that it wasn't as much fun the second time around.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Random Stranger posted:

The only reason Kirby drew the Hate-Monger story in FF #21 is so that he could kill Hitler again. Kirby was later heard to remark that it wasn't as much fun the second time around.

Hang on - Hitler shot himself. So doesn't it follow that to kill Hitler again, Jack Kirby must have been Hitler?

Man, talk about death of the artist.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
The world wasn't ready for a comic artist single handedly going through Nazi Germany to kill Hitler.

Killing 4 Nazis at a time of course. Except for the time he killed 7, he found a group of three, killed him, then realizing his work wasn't done he went looking for a 4th, but only found another group of 4, so he rounded down and slept content enough for the night.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Anora posted:

The world wasn't ready for a comic artist single handedly going through Nazi Germany to kill Hitler.

Killing 4 Nazis at a time of course. Except for the time he killed 7, he found a group of three, killed him, then realizing his work wasn't done he went looking for a 4th, but only found another group of 4, so he rounded down and slept content enough for the night.

Except that one of Jack Kirby's most famous creations is literally a comic artist who singlehandly went through Nazi Germany to... well, to punch out Hitler.
( Recent canon says that he wouldn't have made it very far on his art skills alone. )

e: which one, Darth Brooks? They work for me.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 26, 2020

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

One of those links is dead.

The last page wasn't showing up but it is now.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 26, 2020

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Yond Cassius posted:

Except that one of Jack Kirby's most famous creations is literally a comic artist who singlehandly went through Nazi Germany to... well, to punch out Hitler.
( Recent canon says that he wouldn't have made it very far on his art skills alone. )

e: which one, Darth Brooks? They work for me.

The real dark side of the comics industry is Captain America rudely crumpling up whoever's newspaper that was without asking if they were done with it. Logan needs his crossword fix.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jedit posted:

Hang on - Hitler shot himself. So doesn't it follow that to kill Hitler again, Jack Kirby must have been Hitler?

No, Jack transmogrified himself into the gun.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Jedit posted:

He shot himself in the same way the younger sibling is hitting themselves.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jim Hammond killed Hitler.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Darth Brooks posted:

One of those links is dead.

How appropriate

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Jim Hammond killed Hitler.

With a gun fashioned from a piece of Jack Kirby's soul.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Yond Cassius posted:

Joe Simon created Captain America.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jedit posted:

Joe Simon created Captain America.

With Jack Kirby.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I thought I remembered seeing an article with Kirby quotes about introducing Black Panther from when the film came out, turns out it was Neal Kirby.
He's obviously going to more inclined toward a favorable view on it* but seems like he thinks it was, if not intended as a statement, at least from some recognition of the importance of representation:

quote:

Neal Kirby, a high school senior when Black Panther first appeared in Fantastic Four No. 52 in summer 1966, remembers his father talking to him about introducing the character.

"I recall during the winter or early spring he asked me what I would think of a black superhero in the comics. Of course he was very much for it, as we all were at the time," Kirby says. "My father was a very social liberal person. He would have been the Bernie Sanders of his day. He very much believed in social justice and equality, so he honestly thought it was time. Why shouldn't African-Americans have their own superhero?"

Kirby's son says he believes his father purposely designed the character to rival white superheros.

"You had a character like Black Panther that not only has all the physical powers and a super suit, but he is certainly the intellectual equal to Reed Richards (Mister Fantastic) of the Fantastic Four," he says.

But such a character at that time was risky both creatively and for life and limb. However, the senior Kirby did not care, his son says.
The comic book legend dealt with adversity before over another character, Captain America, who was portrayed as punching Adolph Hitler in the face in his 1941 first issue.

"I remember at one time he received a letter or something happened [over Black Panther] and he was a little concerned," Kirby says. "It kind of went back to his day when he and Joe Simon created Captain America and they were receiving death threats from the American Nazi party in New York. And, as the story goes, Mayor [Fiorello H.] La Guardia put a police car outside their studio. So there was a little concern there (again). But it was a passing thing. I don't think he ever expected blow back, like the KKK coming after him or anything like that."
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/black-panther-jack-kirby-wouldve-adored-film-says-family-1084730

*I figure he probably wouldn't intentionally misrepresent his dad's views just to match the tone of a film-release in the interview, but :shrug:

surc fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Apr 26, 2020

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I can't track it down but that matches up with an Jack Kirby interview I read well before the BP movie- the interview itself was from like the 90s? He basically said what Neal said.
It was also interesting because in it he briefly reflected on his opposition to unionization as a young artist and it seemed he regretted it in hindsight.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I wondered where all these posts came from and find a lot of Kirby-inspired Nazi-smashing stories. :allears: Thanks folks.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

We don’t know how much action Jack actually saw in WWII, but we can believe he did whatever he did with gusto.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I wasn't sure what thread to put this in but this seems like it probably fits the bill! If not, I'll move it.

Donny Cates is doing a comic either called God Hates Masks ("I understand it may be the first creator-owned 'event comic' – something comparable to Absolute Carnage or Secret Wars in scope.")

Or possibly Pray the Capes Away

quote:

And yes, that's a comic shop being firebombed. Which, in these times, sure, might be an uncool thing to show. But this book is about a lot of things. And one of the more important things is how comics shops are places we can escape to and feel safe. And how they need saving.

Nothing quite like comparing superhero comics to queerness and places of worship in a single ill-conceived comic! I'm sure someone in the world could pull it off, but why does the person trying it have to be Donny Cates?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Can't wait to find out if Knull is a TERF or not.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

y'all

whats up with Donny Cates

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alaois posted:

y'all

whats up with Donny Cates

He thinks he's better than he is.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Open Marriage Night posted:

We don’t know how much action Jack actually saw in WWII, but we can believe he did whatever he did with gusto.

We know a good deal. Landing at Omaha Beach, being made a scout when they found out he could draw,* fought Himmerl's tanks (possibly with his bare hands, it's not recorded but I like to think so) in northern France generally and in the Battle of Metz specifically.

*Jack would opine that if they made you a scout they didn't like you very much.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I really need some sketches of Jack Kirby punching tanks out his way.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Skwirl posted:

With Jack Kirby.

Kirby is credited, but this isn't a situation like Batman where Bob Kane heavily revised his original design to match suggestions from Bill Finger. Simon both had the idea for Cap and designed the character as he went to print. IIRC Bucky is named after one of Simon's school friends as well. Kirby's contributions were in creating the comic, not Cap himself.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Jedit posted:

Kirby is credited, but this isn't a situation like Batman where Bob Kane heavily revised his original design to match suggestions from Bill Finger. Simon both had the idea for Cap and designed the character as he went to print. IIRC Bucky is named after one of Simon's school friends as well. Kirby's contributions were in creating the comic, not Cap himself.

Fair enough, but I'm going to believe that the specific punching of Hitler in the face was a Kirbyism.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Donny Cates looks like Pewdiepie and Max Landis were the same person so I'm really not surprised at his career path so far.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I'm not a fan but he looks like a lot of mid-30s guys I know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

How Wonderful! posted:

Can't wait to find out if Knull is a TERF or not.

I still can't get over this name. It's like if someone in Norway made a comic character named Captain gently caress.