Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am so bad at kareoke in Y0. Its because its not a consistent pattern or speed. Plus moving the commants all over the screen is super annoying.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Brass Hand posted:

It’s not too bad really it’s just the relative sparseness of the gameworlds and character animations that reveal it’s age.

The heat animations are definitely still relatively grounded but there's been some wacky poo poo in the revelations and in a few of the bigger fights so far. The lack of restaurants really stands out. The lack of substory music is noticeable too, no little "it's over" guitar riff or very special episode music for the "I learned something today" moments. Some of the substories have been 0/Kiwami par though.

Really I'm just surprised how decent it looks and runs. How extensive was the HD remaster?

Edit: Went ahead and looked up a comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj52-D7gLhI

Way more sharp and smooth, looks like the localization got another pass too. The writing feels as strong as 0 through Kiwami 2, so that's cool. I thought I'd be blowing through 3 to get to the more "modern" ones but I'm really enjoying it!

robot roll call fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 25, 2020

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
A lot of people bust 3's chops but frankly skipping any game with Kiryu caring so deeply for his kids makes an immediate enemy of me :colbert:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

twistedmentat posted:

I am so bad at kareoke in Y0. Its because its not a consistent pattern or speed. Plus moving the commants all over the screen is super annoying.

I'm bad at it because I'm playing it on PC with an Xbox One controller, and I keep mixing up A/B and X/Y due to just being used to the Nintendo face button layout since the SNES days.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Y3 rules. Hell, they're all good.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

robot roll call posted:

The heat animations are definitely still relatively grounded but there's been some wacky poo poo in the revelations and in a few of the bigger fights so far. The lack of restaurants really stands out. The lack of substory music is noticeable too, no little "it's over" guitar riff or very special episode music for the "I learned something today" moments. Some of the substories have been 0/Kiwami par though.

Really I'm just surprised how decent it looks and runs. How extensive was the HD remaster?

Edit: Went ahead and looked up a comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj52-D7gLhI

Way more sharp and smooth, looks like the localization got another pass too. The writing feels as strong as 0 through Kiwami 2, so that's cool. I thought I'd be blowing through 3 to get to the more "modern" ones but I'm really enjoying it!

The localisation was redone, they brought it into line with all the other newer games and added in a bunch of cut poo poo that was being localised for the first time.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yakuza 3 has the worst gameplay of the Yakuzas (not counting the PS2 versions of 1 or 2 because we've got remakes for that), a pretty average Yakuza storyline, and some of the best character moments in the series with all the Morning Glory kids + Rikiya.

It's a real solid game IMO.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

HebrewMagic posted:

A lot of people bust 3's chops but frankly skipping any game with Kiryu caring so deeply for his kids makes an immediate enemy of me :colbert:

The first few chapters at Sunshine have a real Gokushufudou/Way of the House Husband vibe, like when Kiryu concentrates ultra hard on cutting vegetables. It rules

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Arzaac posted:

Yakuza 3 has the worst gameplay of the Yakuzas (not counting the PS2 versions of 1 or 2 because we've got remakes for that), a pretty average Yakuza storyline, and some of the best character moments in the series with all the Morning Glory kids + Rikiya.

It's a real solid game IMO.

Yeah this is absolutely spot on

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mercury Crusader posted:

I'm bad at it because I'm playing it on PC with an Xbox One controller, and I keep mixing up A/B and X/Y due to just being used to the Nintendo face button layout since the SNES days.

This is why i bought an xbone controller for my PC, because almost all PC games show Xbone controls and playing Dark Souls and hitting PS X thinking its Xbox X is not a great idea.

It makes me sad watching me screw up on Majima's songs though. These are the only things that hint at Majima's later personality. This manic, crazy, violent almost Joker style character. In Y0 he's an expert host and subdued. I'm sure something happens in 0 that will change it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ehhhhh

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

So I picked up Yakuza 0 in the PS4 sale. Are any of the sidequests missable via story progression? Managed to get all the way to what I presume is the last round of RC cars, but it seems I'm going to be smoked here until I come back with a lot of money to dump into better parts.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

This is why i bought an xbone controller for my PC, because almost all PC games show Xbone controls and playing Dark Souls and hitting PS X thinking its Xbox X is not a great idea.

It makes me sad watching me screw up on Majima's songs though. These are the only things that hint at Majima's later personality. This manic, crazy, violent almost Joker style character. In Y0 he's an expert host and subdued. I'm sure something happens in 0 that will change it.

I can't remember the last PC game I played with my DS4 that didn't automatically map in PS button prompts instead of the standard Xbox ones.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DeathChicken posted:

So I picked up Yakuza 0 in the PS4 sale. Are any of the sidequests missable via story progression? Managed to get all the way to what I presume is the last round of RC cars, but it seems I'm going to be smoked here until I come back with a lot of money to dump into better parts.

Substories occasionally have specific requirements you can miss but it's rare and slot cars is available the whole game. You also unlock a thing after beating the game that let's you do whatever so nothing is permanently missable.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Holy poo poo the mahjong substory in Kiwami 2 sucks. Put the player in a game that's not popular in the west with obtuse hard-to-understand rules and then have the rules they write out be poorly written and leave out important info (they don't tell you what a yaku is, just that you need one to win) and then have you play with an enormous handicap because they obviously they were being too easy on you.

On the bright side I think I understand the basics of mah-jong now.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah you're supposed to use a cheat tile for that one

ScruffMcGruff
Sep 26, 2007
Scruffy's rollin' out the big pill...

isk posted:

The first few chapters at Sunshine have a real Gokushufudou/Way of the House Husband vibe, like when Kiryu concentrates ultra hard on cutting vegetables. It rules

Well poo poo, that's all anyone had to say. I was leaning, but I'm sold now.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'm pretty decent at Mahjong and I used the cheat tile on that one

Even if you're good at the game you're simply not beating that without an enormous amount of luck

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I've just started YK2, is there a way to see my completion percentage anywhere? I can see the list but not my percentage and I really like seeing it creep up in 0 and K1.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Having lots of fans really worked in the cabaret challanges. I was able to beat Jupiter easily with 10 million more.

I also only just found out I can switch out hostesses on a guest if it's not working out.

And I think some games are hard coded to show Xbox controls rather than Ps. I know dark souls only showed Xbox controls.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Still working on yakuza 5. I've played every one up to this point (and judgment) but seriously wtf is with the size of this game? Just trying to do all of Haruka's content alone is like the length of an average game by itself. This is seriously the most content packed yakuza game.

It's amazing.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Y5 is Nagoshi’s magnum opus, it’s so drat good

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It would appear that I have no idea how to play Shogi. The old man on chapter 2 obliterates me on the easiest difficulty.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I just did the substory with Pocket Circuit Fighter in 6.

:unsmith: I love this game. Hearing that music again got me so hyped.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Just get the Shogi cheat item. Its reusable, but is a little slow.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

It would appear that I have no idea how to play Shogi. The old man on chapter 2 obliterates me on the easiest difficulty.

Shogi is basically super-chess.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Holy poo poo the mahjong substory in Kiwami 2 sucks. Put the player in a game that's not popular in the west with obtuse hard-to-understand rules and then have the rules they write out be poorly written and leave out important info (they don't tell you what a yaku is, just that you need one to win) and then have you play with an enormous handicap because they obviously they were being too easy on you.

On the bright side I think I understand the basics of mah-jong now.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah you're supposed to use a cheat tile for that one

Arzaac posted:

I'm pretty decent at Mahjong and I used the cheat tile on that one

Even if you're good at the game you're simply not beating that without an enormous amount of luck
cowards! i still insist the best strategy for that is playing aggressively rather than defensively given the point gap
e: i have no idea why i originally said i played it safe for that challenge :iiam:

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 27, 2020

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I really enjoy that (Yakuza Kiwami 2 endgame spoilers) that Kazuma and Saoru making out on a tower that was about to blow up wasn’t even slightly exaggerated. Also those eleventh hour twists were pretty much at the point of parody for what I’ve heard of this series, which is pretty hype considering I have three more localized games to get through!

Also lol at giving me 1,000,000 yen as a reward.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

I just finished Yakuzas 0-6.

Some notes:

0 - One of my favorite games of all time. Aside from some definite "this came from a PS2 series" wonkiness with the map edges and so forth, the quirkiness of this game is just amazing. I agree with many people that the open world of 0 is almost exactly a case study in what games like AssCreed get wrong. I now have sections of Kamurocho permanently burned into my brain, like that alley by the pawn shop you can cut across to save a second selling plates. GOLEM TAIGA!

K1 - Largely great, but there are some total crap moments. The first boss fight before you understand how Kiwami really works is probably going to be terrible, and even then, the whole Kiwami system is terrible. They should have just made it a QTE, if anything. Majima Everywhere is a really stupid thing to add. YK is a great story, but it's let down a bit by some things the devs could have done better for the rerelease.

K2 - Somehow feels more PS2 and less polished than 1? The car chase is such complete rear end that the devs should be ashamed they didn't fix it. If someone invents a trainer program to skip this bit, install that immediately. Still a good game overall, just rough in spots, like a PS2 game would be.

3R - Fully back to the PS2 era. Including minigames with random difficulty spikes, or where absolutely nothing is explained and the developers didn't even publish a guide so you have to read decade-old speculation on a forum based on an interview someone found in a magazine. Expect to sometimes need to take a deep breath, restart the game, and just soldier through some BS. (I think you can actually get into an inescapable loop of failure if you pick the wrong first girl for Cabaret, you really need to go for the best girls, and even then it's terrible). Overall has some really refreshing changes of pace, and I loved a lot of the side stories. E N G L I S H.

4R - There's like 4 whole games here. Crazy. Some of the minigames are objectively worse than 3 (Cabaret) and some are arguably quite annoying (why is the snow part so incredibly slow with so many tutorials and you don't unlock faster movement until after so many tutorials).

5R - Haruka's story is such an interesting change of pace. So long as you do not collect anything with Haruka (doesn't transfer to main chars) this is a really great entry. Goes up somewhere on my all-time list just because it's so refreshing.

6 - Most of the story is a smaller, more focused game which kind of makes sense with the theme. Especially when you started with 0. The climax of the story is YUGE but there's a whole section that - while gorgeous - seems really dull and you know it's only padded out that much because there will be a big twist later to make it retroactively more important than it is at the time. Overall a totally great cap to Kiryu's story. The ending is HELL YEAH and leaves a great final impression.

Random points:

The translation in the remasters sucks. There were many times when I know just enough Japanese to tell that what characters were saying in no way relates to how it was translated. Like for an obvious example Haruka constantly calls Kiryu "ojisan" (uncle, or old man) but it's consistently translated as "Kiryu". You don't need a high level of Japanese fluency to detect that "ojisan" doesn't sound a lot like the main character's name. There are a lot of times when this was more egregious. They just took way too many liberties so you're definitely losing a lot of the original intonation. It gets the point across, but what a shame.

If you're trying to 100% all these games... you really don't have to. I probably have a minimum of 20 hours in every game mashing the skip text button and ignoring a lot of side quests to rush through the series, and 60 hours in at least Zero. So that's easily 200 hours for the series? I got my money's worth. There's a lot of forgettable side content, especially around 4, and an unforgivable amount of "They are in the park? Yes the park. Ah, the park. Wait why a park? I heard they were in a park. Well let's go see if they're in a park. Yes I know they are in a park I just heard let's go look in the park. Did someone mention a park? [GO TO THE PARK] I should head to the park".

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

cowards! i still insist the best strategy for that is playing aggressively rather than defensively given the point gap
e: i have no idea why i originally said i played it safe for that challenge :iiam:

you almost have to, otherwise virtually any self-drawn win by an opponent or even a draw with opponents in ready will bankrupt you

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Wrex Ruckus posted:

this might be a little out of the scope of this thread but I finally played and finished Binary Domain. Pretty standard 2010-era cover-based shooter for the most part, but I'm glad I stuck with it since that game has sure got some RGG style last minute twists

Binary Domain and Alpha Protocol are some of the most diamond-in-the-rough purchases you can make. I think Remember Me is up there too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

revwinnebago posted:

The translation in the remasters sucks. There were many times when I know just enough Japanese to tell that what characters were saying in no way relates to how it was translated. Like for an obvious example Haruka constantly calls Kiryu "ojisan" (uncle, or old man) but it's consistently translated as "Kiryu". You don't need a high level of Japanese fluency to detect that "ojisan" doesn't sound a lot like the main character's name. There are a lot of times when this was more egregious. They just took way too many liberties so you're definitely losing a lot of the original intonation. It gets the point across, but what a shame.

You can translate to match the exact words, or you can translate the meaning. More often then not, the latter is better, because it’s translating those terms (like Haruka’s “Ojisan” to “Kiryu”) to match the cultural expectations.

Translating the exact words is how you get really janky and bad Japanese -> English translation. The Yakuza team may take liberties but they have a good handle on things and make the right choices.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Weird to see a complaint for something as simple as Haruka calling Kiryu by his name when the old translations hear straight up changed people's names because they thought Americans were too stupid to have a character named Kazama and a character named Kazuma at the same time.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Translating intent is something Atlus USA is really good at, so I’m all for them taking liberties with the source to provide a similar experience across the pond. 0’s Fisting Artist joke is probably my go-to example for this because of how perfectly it fits that I think it’s better than the original joke.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The thing I like about Haruka's oji-san is that it goes from "mister" to "Uncle Kaz". She keeps calling him that after she accepts him as her father, and that eventually spreads to the kids at Morning Glory. it's so sweet!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i finished 0's story last night, it was insanely good but now idk whether i want to roam around in premium adventure or move right on to kiwami

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

SpacePig posted:

Weird to see a complaint for something as simple as Haruka calling Kiryu by his name when the old translations hear straight up changed people's names because they thought Americans were too stupid to have a character named Kazama and a character named Kazuma at the same time.

To be fair, that confused me for a long time since the game is sometimes inconsistent when they chose to use first names vs surnames.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Different strokes - I didn't mind the Oji-san/Kiryu disparity, especially when (late Yakuza 6 spoilers, seriously don't click if you haven't played thru it) Haruka says Oji-san for the first time after waking up from the coma. Broke my heart in the best way.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Take as many liberties as you want with the translations, it will not change that I am a giant man with the vocal chords of a literal god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I wish translators could all come up with some sort of agreement to put name orders the same. I never know which name is a Japanese characters first name or last name.