Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Grouchio I know you want people to die so you can watch Re:Zero but you gotta stop posting about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

That's not what I meant to say. I hope the amount of cases drops enough by July that some non-essential businesses can reopen (with social distancing), so that the summer season isn't delayed as well. I don't want all the voice actors or studios to go out of business/become destitute.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Grouchio posted:

or 2) Someone convinces the Diet to make anime an essential business.

This part seems to disagree with that

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i'm pretty sure more than 0 anime will air during summer season, there just isn't going to be 50 like usual (and some will be shows that were cut off this season and not new stuff)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Goddamn what is wrong with you.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Grouchio posted:

I pray that either 1) Japan ends its nation-wide lockdown before July or 2) Someone convinces the Diet to make anime an essential business.
Provided that the Diet ever gets poo poo done, that is.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

this is literally the worst post you've ever made

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

im glad everyone is finally getting woke to the fact that grouchi is a ba- *doublechecks notes* oh nevermind carry on

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Grouchio posted:

I pray that either 1) Japan ends its nation-wide lockdown before July or 2) Someone convinces the Diet to make anime an essential business.
Provided that the Diet ever gets poo poo done, that is.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

How about instead of wishing that people would be put in bodily peril so you can watch your Japanese cartoons, you hope that the anime studios develop effective work from home workflows to continue bringing the content safely.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

How about instead of wishing that people would be put in bodily peril so you can watch your Japanese cartoons, you hope that the anime studios develop effective work from home workflows to continue bringing the content safely.

the problem is all on the voice acting really, good equipment for that is expensive

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Grouchio should have his license to watch anime revoked.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yeah, plus you need soundproof studios, which are both large and expensive.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'd imagine you'll see some shows maybe try to solider on with a lower quality or try to fix post but yeah, acting is one big stumbling block given that it's gonna be hard to get a sound proof studio in a lot of Tokyo apartments

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its my gope that with corona the animators will have gently caress all else to do and we get the best looking anime season ever 🤗:D

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
every japanese animator will be inspired by the coronavirus to recreate the entirety of akira two dozen times over individually

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Colonel posted:

every japanese animator will be inspired by the coronavirus to recreate the entirety of akira two dozen times over individually

The Fall season will just be dozens of different full adaptations of the Akira manga, most entirely voiced by one VA to minimize virus risks.

I'm pretty excited for it, myself.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Then the whole thing will be combined into one super cut that somehow works with none of them coordinating timing.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

The Colonel posted:

this is literally the worst post you've ever made

drat that's an extremely high bar

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Julias posted:

Yeah, plus you need soundproof studios, which are both large and expensive.
Eh, that's not necessarily the case anymore. Makeshift studios and the technology to make home-bound recording studios fairly good is way more accessible nowadays.

That being said: Grouchio, please consider just how tone deaf your post came off as. People whose jobs are deemed "essential" are often placed at a higher risk than average. I know entertainment and hobbies are among the things that often bring joy to our lives in ways that other things in life just plainly don't do so with the consistency of those, and that your favorite anime/band/artist/author/etcetera coming back with new material is often high-reason to get excited...

... but not at that much of a risk. It's just not worth it. Not with how crappy things are already for a boatload of people working in a number of industries, anime-making included. It's not worth it. Losing friends to this pandemic has sucked hard.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

No mercy for grouchio

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

are we done with the mediocre followup owns or are they just going to keep coming until his probe expires

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Elephant Parade posted:

are we done with the mediocre followup owns or are they just going to keep coming until his probe expires

Devil's Elephant.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

it was an awful take, but I'm not sure what posting "grouchio sucks xD" over and over aagain a page later is supposed to accomplish

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That sounds pretty loving metal: :black101: The Devil's Elephant! Stampeding through the hordes! The Devil's Elephant! A harbinger or ruin!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Elephant Parade posted:

it was an awful take, but I'm not sure what posting "grouchio sucks xD" over and over aagain a page later is supposed to accomplish

You usually have to repeat something 10+ times to someone in order for them to remember it.

Wark Say posted:

That sounds pretty loving metal: :black101: The Devil's Elephant! Stampeding through the hordes! The Devil's Elephant! A harbinger or ruin!

The Devil's elephant on my shoulder
Grouchio's posts cant sink any lower
The bad mods are getting closer
The Devil's elephant on my shoulder

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
And I just realized the misspelling. :cripes:

Back to the topic of this thread, I haven't really watched anything besides Bakarina, Kaguya, Princess Connect and Gleipnir. Is BNA worth a spin?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Wark Say posted:

And I just realized the misspelling. :cripes:

Back to the topic of this thread, I haven't really watched anything besides Bakarina, Kaguya, Princess Connect and Gleipnir. Is BNA worth a spin?

I liked it, but I have a strong feeling that Trigger is going to gently caress up the ending like they usually do (aside from their short shows).

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
gridman and lwa had good endings

kiznaiver's the last full length trigger anime i can think of where i really hated the ending but kiznaiver kinda sucked in general

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The Colonel posted:

gridman and lwa had good endings

Gridman, I dunno about. But I felt LWA was a bit weak compared to the rest of the show, and focused too much on Diana and ignored all the other great characters.

-Edit I agree it wasn't terrible, it just meant that I'm not really interested in rewatching the show, despite really liking most of it.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 26, 2020

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it wasn't the best part of the entire show but it wasn't like, a disaster, and it kinda at least made sense to focus on diana since she and akko had the most central relationship to the show story

it's not like the weaker trigger shows where they just become a complete mess midway through and the ending just kinda limps to the finish line

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Little Witch Academia kinda stumbled for me early on, but after like 6 or so episodes, I was all the gently caress in. It was so fun. :3:

Gridman would've been my 2018 anime of the year had Zombie Idol Unit not been a thing.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The PS2 SAC game's actually half-decent too.

It's been a while since I played but I remember the gameplay being good and reminiscent of Oni, which is itself heavily inspired by GitS. The story is bang on for a SAC game, to the point where if you want another few episodes of SAC it's worth playing for that alone. I think it takes place between seasons 1 and 2.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I mean, Trigger's had eight TV anime, and one's BNA which is ongoing.

Darling in the Franxx, they're on the record as having nothing to do with in the back half, where it completely fell apart.

When Supernatural Battles Become Commonplace was an adaptation, so it falling apart wouldn't be entirely on them.

LWA ended fine, even if it's not the absolute strongest part of the show because it didn't have enough Sucy.

Gridman and Luluco ended great.

So, basically, Trigger ending things badly means that two of their shows didn't end well, and one of the two is considered one of their weakest shows throughout, and the other was their first tv anime. I mean, I don't think that caution is unreasonable, but "Trigger does bad endings" seems to be based off a relatively small data sampling.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, Trigger's had eight TV anime, and one's BNA which is ongoing.

Darling in the Franxx, they're on the record as having nothing to do with in the back half, where it completely fell apart.

When Supernatural Battles Become Commonplace was an adaptation, so it falling apart wouldn't be entirely on them.

LWA ended fine, even if it's not the absolute strongest part of the show because it didn't have enough Sucy.

Gridman and Luluco ended great.

So, basically, Trigger ending things badly means that two of their shows didn't end well, and one of the two is considered one of their weakest shows throughout, and the other was their first tv anime. I mean, I don't think that caution is unreasonable, but "Trigger does bad endings" seems to be based off a relatively small data sampling.

How did the back half of Darling in the Franxx have nothing to do with them, just out of curiosity? (Haven't seen the show)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also the OP for Project x Zone I, which has high Imaishi vibes throughout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06WqBNRzhbs

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How did the back half of Darling in the Franxx have nothing to do with them, just out of curiosity? (Haven't seen the show)

trigger was just on franxx as part of the animation production, and the main complaints with franxx (throughout really) were always aimed at the writing. my understanding of the show's genesis is, it was a sort of passion project for the director and so that sort of criticism is mostly laid at his (atsushi nishigori) feet.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

IIRC, Franxx was a collab between Trigger and A-1 Pictures (I think that the studio that worked on Franxx eventually ended up becoming CloverWorks? And they did FGO Babylonia plus Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai), but someone here probably has a better idea on which studio did what and such.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
franxx's issues are just that nishigori never knew what the gently caress he wanted to write, something he outright admitted in interviews. so it's mostly a jumble of briefly interesting moments but it never coalesced into, uh, anything

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i guess one of the more specific defining memories i have in regards to this is that the AX that Trigger announced all three of their new properties they handed out signed illustrations for the three, Franxx, Gridman, and Promare off of a ping pong ball raffle. Back then he couldn't have known, but the guy who got the Gridman illustration was so visibly disappointed on camera that he missed out on the Franxx one lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Obv. not the case for a lot of people cuz that show seemed to do pretty well, but I was so down on franxx I wrote off gridman entirely until people told me it was good about halfway through the run. Gridman ended up being one of my favorite shows of that year and prob my favorite Trigger-associated thing after LWA.

Also Gridman's ending is a contender for top anime endings ever it rules so loving much.