Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I guess I'm just wary about it since it's priced at a full $60 game but comprises so little of the original game. That's why I wonder how well it stacks up and if it's worth the cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

khy posted:

I guess I'm just wary about it since it's priced at a full $60 game but comprises so little of the original game. That's why I wonder how well it stacks up and if it's worth the cost.

In terms of sheer size it took me about 45 hours to complete, if that helps. And my opinion is hell yes it stacks up.

In terms of comparison to the original I will say that it's worth playing even if you recall the original perfectly.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

berenzen posted:

important plot information being hidden in random spots that people might never actually look at

This, especially - the flashback scene that's hidden in Nibelheim is, arguably, crucial to the story, and I've spoken to a bunch of people these past few weeks who have just never seen it, because it's hidden for some reason!

khy posted:

I'm more or less finished with it now, and I put about 75 hours in. It's frankly an improvement on the original in every way (yeah, I said it).

Bleck fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 25, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that reason presumably being that it straight up did not exist in the original JP release

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If you played the original, complete version of OG FF7, you will get a lot out of this game that you did not get out of that version. For multiple reasons.

night slime
May 14, 2014
You can play the first chapter for free in a demo if you're on the fence. After that, the gameplay only gets better imo. It's not a "finished product" in that it doesn't contain FF7 original but it stands up in its own right. Plenty of content.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Me: Chapter 13? I must be getting close to the end, this game didn't have enough Barret.

Game: :getin:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

khy posted:

See my mini-review a page or two back, where I said it's not only a good game on its own, but I consider it to probably be the best Final Fantasy game (I have not played the MMOs, but am very familiar with all of the rest). It is absolutely worth being a full-price game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

In terms of sheer size it took me about 45 hours to complete, if that helps. And my opinion is hell yes it stacks up.

In terms of comparison to the original I will say that it's worth playing even if you recall the original perfectly.

I beat it in 30 (played on easy because I’m a coward) and still felt like I got my money’s worth and am already itchy to play again. It’s an excellent game, get it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

khy posted:

This is a full 40-hour game on its own and is very good.

I think Square calling the FF7 Remake "episodic" was kind of a mistake. It's episodic in the way Mass Effect games are, or Xenosaga, in that it's a series of standalone games that tell one long story. It's not like Hitman or Life Is Strange or The Walking Dead, where each episode is small and you need the whole thing for it to be a complete experience.

Playing through this feels like playing the first game in a new series. There's a complete narrative arc, but the full story isn't done yet, and you gotta tune in next time to find out what happens to our heroes next, that kind of thing.

Also, fun fact: apparently Midgar is fully 36% of the script of the original FF7, by pure text volume. (This is according to Tim Rogers, who did a big comparison video series between the English and Japanese scripts)

Harrow fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 25, 2020

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If nothing else, there are so, so many priceless moments in this game it'd be a shame to miss out on them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I saw an article trying to argue that FF7R could have been made like the Trials on Mana game and it just solidified that a straight remake of a lovely old game with the same lovely old poo poo would have sucked.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

JBP posted:

I saw an article trying to argue that FF7R could have been made like the Trials on Mana game and it just solidified that a straight remake of a lovely old game with the same lovely old poo poo would have sucked.

Trials of Mana is great though

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Heath posted:

Trials of Mana is great though

Current cash rate: no interest.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

JBP posted:

Current cash rate: no interest.

I don't know what that means but we're well past the point of people making the contrarian stance that people who would have liked a straight ToM-style remake are dumb

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Heath posted:

I don't know what that means but we're well past the point of people making the contrarian stance that people who would have liked a straight ToM-style remake are dumb

It's not contrarian. It's not dumb to want something, even if what you want would have cost us a modern classic.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So, uh, please tell me that I don't have to get the Digital Deluxe version in order to get the 2 summon materias and that they're in the game somewhere and it's not just a means to cash in from the fanbase

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

khy posted:

So, uh, please tell me that I don't have to get the Digital Deluxe version in order to get the 2 summon materias and that they're in the game somewhere and it's not just a means to cash in from the fanbase

They're only deluxe.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Trials of Mana is a very faithful remake of a game from 1995 but ... it's a very faithful remake of a game from 1995. It doesn't really have Final Fantasy's level of plot or characterization, particularly since the party and main antagonist will vary depending on who you pick at the start of the game. I love it dearly but it's a tough sell to anybody who has no nostalgia for the original, especially at full price.

My opinion of FF7R when I finished it was that it was pretty good but for whatever reason it's been steadily increasing since then to "best game I've played in a very very long time". You know how good your nostalgia-tinged childhood memory makes you think the game was the best thing ever even though you know it obviously wasn't actually as great as that in reality? The remake actually manages to be that good. If they manage to finish out the series while maintaining this quality it is going to be a landmark franchise. So yeah, this expanded series, in my opinion, is a lot better than just making a by-the-numbers straight remake but with voice acting and modern 3D.

That being said, that's an emotional reaction of course, so your experience may vary. The polish and production values are undeniably very high, and on Normal difficulty the combat does actually demand you fully engage with it; they're not afraid to make it somewhat challenging every once in a while.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

khy posted:

they arent that great fwiw, theres a good amount you get ingame that are much better. that said i dont have carbunkle so idk about that one.

cactuar is cute tho

khy
Aug 15, 2005

JBP posted:

They're only deluxe.

Well that seems scummy but whatever.

Second quick question : Is the game actually 85GB like the playstation store claims it is?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Carbuncle is very useful because you can summom him in a lot of fights where you can't summon the big summons and he can cast Barrier/Manaward on your team.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is Pray dependent on the magic stat? The grognard in me wishes there was a stat breakdown that tells you how heavily it influences your character's performance.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It doesn't matter because Tifa can build ATB the fastest and she should have Pray at all times

night slime
May 14, 2014

khy posted:

Someone suggested they'd be DLC eventually because of similar stuff in KH3/FF15.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jimbot posted:

Is Pray dependent on the magic stat? The grognard in me wishes there was a stat breakdown that tells you how heavily it influences your character's performance.

I believe so, at the same upgrade level Barret would usually heal for 1/3 to 1/2 of max HP while Aerith was more like 3/4

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

khy posted:

Second quick question : Is the game actually 85GB like the playstation store claims it is?

Yes, it is 85 GB.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I refuse to believe Jules is human. He must be an escaped Shinra experiment.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

khy posted:

The physical version has a Data disc to install from then a separate Play disc. So yes

Additionally, cactuar and Chocobo chick aren't great, you aren't going to miss them.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i will miss cactuar

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Trials of Mana was also completely rebuilt with an overhauled battle system, new maps and voice acting. The difference between it and FFVII Remake is that the story is pretty much identical although their localization is much better than the unofficial one many of us played back in the day. But there wasn’t really much to expand on because it was light on story to begin with. It also had a smaller budget and development team than FFVIIR. FFVII was a much more ambitious game when it first came out (and massively popular) so it’s not a surprise they expanded on the story and world. But Tales of Mana is still really good for what it is.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

night slime posted:

Someone suggested they'd be DLC eventually because of similar stuff in KH3/FF15.

It'd be nice to be able to summon something other than Chocobochick 19 times out of 20.

Are the 'big' summons only available in boss fights? My summon gauge has filled in a few fights where I thought it was open enough to call Ifrit or CMog, but nah.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

If you weren’t summoning Carbuncle every chance you got for the free healing and buffs... you’re tougher than me. Being able to haste everybody ruled.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So some people are having trouble with the (chapter 9 boss spoilers) Hell House? I did not remember having much trouble with it. Then again I make it a point to keep the Access Materia with me at all times and use it for everything)

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Unlucky7 posted:

So some people are having trouble with the (chapter 9 boss spoilers) Hell House? I did not remember having much trouble with it. Then again I make it a point to keep the Access Materia with me at all times and use it for everything)

the problem wasn't assessing, the problem is that he goes straight up invulnerable for long periods and if you don't get an appropriate-element hit in during the short window that he isn't, you gotta stall again.

if you overcame that, I commend you.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

zakharov posted:

the problem wasn't assessing, the problem is that he goes straight up invulnerable for long periods and if you don't get an appropriate-element hit in during the short window that he isn't, you gotta stall again.

if you overcame that, I commend you.

I think I just got lucky: I summoned Shiva while they were vulnerable to ice which may have knocked out a good portion of HP.

I am just surprised that I somehow dodged a bullet and came away thinking it was enjoyable. I mean I can name a number of other enemies that pissed me off (gently caress Sahagin)

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 26, 2020

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

PancakeTransmission posted:

The physical version has a Data disc to install from then a separate Play disc. So yes

Additionally, cactuar and Chocobo chick aren't great, you aren't going to miss them.

Chocobo Chick is the only summon that can do Lightning damage though, isn’t it?

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Harrow posted:

I've been saying that since I replayed the game back in college. I originally played the game when I was like 11 when it first came out and I was guilty of remembering Cloud as an emo mopey guy like Squall, but when I replayed it, it surprised me how much personality he has. (Honestly, replaying FF8 also surprised me with how much personality Squall has that I also forgot.)

I don't even think it was KH or Advent Children that changed their perception. I think it was just, over time, people boiled them down to that because they didn't clearly remember their actual personalities from the game. Like I remember while playing FF9, long before KH or Advent Children existed, I thought Zidane was so refreshing because he was an FF protagonist who wasn't a mopey emo kid unlike the last two. It didn't really take me long to just mentally retcon Cloud, Aerith, and Squall into caricatures of themselves until I replayed the games and saw how wrong my memory of them was.

i suppose it being a game i replayed fairly often it was easier for me to not lose that perspective. i really don't understand why that disconnect happened in the first place. was it a result of a bunch of people who only played the beginning of the game being especially vocal? even if that was the case, Aerith never really got credit for being snarky and assy and she was like the from the get go.

also i'm not the biggest FF8 fan, but i will maintain the opinion that Squall acts precisely how someone should when they are surrounded by idiots all the time.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I beat it in 30 (played on easy because I’m a coward) and still felt like I got my money’s worth and am already itchy to play again. It’s an excellent game, get it

i'm in the same spot. i kind of want to try harder difficulties but i just fear i'll get frustrated. i never learned the battle system too well and i don't think i have the energy to like, rearrange materia and poo poo for each boss battle.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
... sassy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Jimbot posted:

It does, I think it has basically the same calculation as Cure -- 7x-8x your Magic Attack stat iirc. It also gets the 20% bonus from the Healing Carcinet accessory.