Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I've had berserk kill civilians at least twice today alone.

Does Zephyr ever get an upgraded weapon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

It would be cool to get a full game like this but it would feel a lot like fire emblem.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Why does nVidia control panel refer to the Chimera Squad executable as X-Com Enforcer?

Having some real bad flash backs...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zushio posted:

Why does nVidia control panel refer to the Chimera Squad executable as X-Com Enforcer?

Having some real bad flash backs...

KILL THOTHE PERPTH FOR MORE DATA POINTTH

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Pharmaskittle posted:

It's hilarious that you can take faceless alive, and that they're even around. I mean look, I'm all for integrating aliens into society, but c'mon! Those are just monsters!

That's racist. Look, one of them's getting three cats out of trees.

skaianDestiny fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 26, 2020

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm not entirely sure whats going on with the sea monster and the boat but in keeping with the theme in the rest of those posters I chose to believe it was sinking and the monster saved it.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I just realized all of those posters are written in English, albeit in an alien looking font.

Edit: Cats trust you. Let's keep it that way.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Dumb question: what do civilians in the game even do? They're never a mission objective and they seem to run away when either me or an enemy gets near. I remember seeing one tooltip about them but can't remember what it said.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Whatever you think about the Saturday Morning Cartoon aesthetic of the main characters, the background fiction and world-building in this game is stellar. Even a lot of the little micro-fiction tidbits you get at end of missions are real good.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

CRISPYBABY posted:

Dumb question: what do civilians in the game even do? They're never a mission objective and they seem to run away when either me or an enemy gets near. I remember seeing one tooltip about them but can't remember what it said.

Make sure they don't die or you get penalized. Enemies don't deliberately target them and they run away from enemies if they get too close. If one of your guys gets close to them, they'll head out the exit and off the level.

IMO they're mostly there so you can't always throw explosives around willy nilly and to be chryssalid targets (who do deliberately target civvies).

EDIT: More posters

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Caidin posted:

I'm not entirely sure whats going on with the sea monster and the boat but in keeping with the theme in the rest of those posters I chose to believe it was sinking and the monster saved it.

Looks like a movie poster, like Jaws. Interesting that even though earth is a integrated society of aliens and humans, there are still aliens that in general can't be trusted (chrysalids? haven't gotten that far into the campaign)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CRISPYBABY posted:

If you let a bunch die you get penalized. I think that would almost have to be intentional it happens so rarely.

They also become mission objectives later.

Re: Zephyr, yeah she only does 4 damage (I picked lockdown and the ability to get momentum on aoe instead of the damage boosts) but it’s guaranteed and it procs 2-3 times per turn if you use her properly. It adds up.

I’m starting to enjoy Torque more, combining her with the CCS that Godmother gets is fun.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Lord Lambeth posted:

Looks like a movie poster, like Jaws. Interesting that even though earth is a integrated society of aliens and humans, there are still aliens that in general can't be trusted (chrysalids? haven't gotten that far into the campaign)

The religious ex-ADVENT faction uses chyrssalids as attack animals.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lord Lambeth posted:

Looks like a movie poster, like Jaws.)

"Arthropod Nightmare"

I guess the one thing that both humans and aliens agree is scary is giant bugs?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
What kinda penalize are we talking about here? Less of a reward? Unrest?

Thanks for the answers tho

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CRISPYBABY posted:

What kinda penalize are we talking about here? Less of a reward? Unrest?

Thanks for the answers tho

Unrest, apparently.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

skaianDestiny posted:

The religious ex-ADVENT faction uses chyrssalids as attack animals.

They also have a dark event that guarantees 'lids on every mission. They became my number 1 breach target for a bit there. Especially since a mission had them actually start going on a rampage and infect a bunch of civilians.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Personally, I can't wait for replacer mods like the Advent to Imperium mod for XCOM2.

What I'd rather want is a mod that takes the enemy groups we have, adds new ones, and then does away with the 'investigation' template in order to have a 'whatever comes up' approach instead of the 'investigation' system--so you could have one mission fighting one group, then another fighting another

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Every time the APC returns, I think how much the driver must hate that they didnt make the parking bay and the warehouse door line up perfectly. They even cut out all the failed attempts at backing it up the ramp and fade to it finally parking.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Agent355 posted:

Alot of the people in this thread are real happy with zephyr but man the fact that her damage doesn't scale at all really just sucks. 5-6 damage with the perk is just so underwhelming, and only 4-5 on her aoe.

Yeah, Zephyr kinda sucks past the early game but she's a beast there, before everyone else gets A.P. Rounds and Mastercraft weapons.

Also she doesn't contribute to breaching.

In my experience the effectiveness has been:

SSS tier: Blueblood. He is a frickin' murder machine, especially after getting AP rounds and such. He's gotten over twice as many kills as anyone else has. Guy is amazing.

Good: Verge. He's very versatile.
Godmother. She's basically an emergency nuke. She's just okay normally but Ventilate on key targets is a godsend.
Axiom. His melee damage never goes up, but he has fantastic crowd control with Battering Ram, Fear Factor, and so on. He's especially good early due to extra actions from Muton Rage.

Fine: Torque. Being able to take out key targets is nice, poison is nice, re-positioning allies is nice but later on when you need to rapidly gun down as many people as possible she contributes far less.
Patchwork. Excellent against Sacred Coil, unimpressive against everyone else.
Zephyr. Lockdown, debuffs, aoe, armor piercing are all fantastic but her lack of damage later on meants he was stuck on the bench.

Unimpressive (saying bad seems a bit much since everyone is at least decently useful).
Cherub. Drawing fire is nice, his shield is nice, but killing people before they can attack is better.
Terminal. Early game when your people are dropping like flies, healing and remote stabalization is a godsend. Cooperation is nice but can generally be surpassed with Godmother's Alpha Strike and Motile Inducers. I had a bug where it kept changing my healing settings, she probably would've gotten more if it actually stayed on no healing.
Claymore. Everyone else's grenading capabilities have proven sufficient for me.
Androids. Nice at first, especially when they're the first guys to have armor, but don't really do much later and a bunch of their upgrade suck.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Adopt today!

Do not eat cats please
Do not eat them

Eat Payara!

Tastes better than cat!

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 26, 2020

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
There's a lot of strong items/abilities you can grab in this game but holy poo poo, motile inducers and bubble grenades are just a level above everything else.

In the early game though, slapping mach armor on everyone cut out a huge chunk of incoming damage and let me keep everyone topped up with Terminal. Zephyr was by far my best damage dealer up through midgame, and parry let her eat through enemy's actions as well after caving in their friend's skull. Once you get good aim items, ammo types, and eventually epic weapons, Blueblood becomes incredibly strong. Axiom seems good the whole game, with his tank upgrades, huge mobility, and free attacks. I started with these 4 and kept them around most of the game, rotating in Torque and Patchwork when I felt like it.

Re: the different campaign paths on Hard:

I agree with the people saying that the last Sacred Coil mission was a huge difficulty spike. I did their Campaign second after Gray Phoenix and the last two rooms were probably the first time I felt like I could lose my whole squad, between the ridiculous ninja boss and his dual blade pals, andromedons, mecs, and the gatekeeper. I'm finishing up the Psion campaign now but with all the lockdown and strong dps I have at this point, they haven't been a threat.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can you not upgrade Zeyphr's gauntlets? I haven't seen any option to do so.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Pomp posted:

Is the next one gonna have marriage mechanics

NO.

But it'll have alien cat people, AND the player is going to have to put up with the collective squee of all the muton fans made after chimera squad as a world/rapport building exercise.

Spare an enemy to live another day, or cost the morale and goodwill of your new allies and undermine an alliance? What's it going to be, commander?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Cuntellectual posted:

Yeah, Zephyr kinda sucks past the early game but she's a beast there, before everyone else gets A.P. Rounds and Mastercraft weapons.

Also she doesn't contribute to breaching.

In my experience the effectiveness has been:

SSS tier: Blueblood. He is a frickin' murder machine, especially after getting AP rounds and such. He's gotten over twice as many kills as anyone else has. Guy is amazing.

Good: Verge. He's very versatile.
Godmother. She's basically an emergency nuke. She's just okay normally but Ventilate on key targets is a godsend.
Axiom. His melee damage never goes up, but he has fantastic crowd control with Battering Ram, Fear Factor, and so on. He's especially good early due to extra actions from Muton Rage.

Fine: Torque. Being able to take out key targets is nice, poison is nice, re-positioning allies is nice but later on when you need to rapidly gun down as many people as possible she contributes far less.
Patchwork. Excellent against Sacred Coil, unimpressive against everyone else.
Zephyr. Lockdown, debuffs, aoe, armor piercing are all fantastic but her lack of damage later on meants he was stuck on the bench.

Unimpressive (saying bad seems a bit much since everyone is at least decently useful).
Cherub. Drawing fire is nice, his shield is nice, but killing people before they can attack is better.
Terminal. Early game when your people are dropping like flies, healing and remote stabalization is a godsend. Cooperation is nice but can generally be surpassed with Godmother's Alpha Strike and Motile Inducers. I had a bug where it kept changing my healing settings, she probably would've gotten more if it actually stayed on no healing.
Claymore. Everyone else's grenading capabilities have proven sufficient for me.
Androids. Nice at first, especially when they're the first guys to have armor, but don't really do much later and a bunch of their upgrade suck.

I think this is a solid analysis. Mainly, action economy is king, using your actions to move (like a sucker) is a bummer. I have to say that Torque is amazing because she's a beast of a tank. Maxing out her Dodge so she only gets grazed, and then letting her soak up attacks, is a beautiful thing.

I also find Terminal's utility to come in handy because evacuation goals are bullshit with the way enemies pile on faster than your entire team can even double move. The fact that you're never really sure if a mission is going to be over when you clear the room, or if it's suddenly going to get really hard because you cleared it too quickly and you just triggered the "infinite reinforcements pod" (but your guys have to evacuate on their interleaved turns and you're guaranteed to have at least 1 go after the reinforcements). Really bad design.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
terminal is good because the gremlin buff is solid, let alone the healing

also not having to go over there to pick someone up if something goes south. like that car. loving car.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I did sacred coil third and while they were a complete pushover with my maxed out squad I can't imagine how you'd handle that much armor and robots if you picked them first.

Also the above player ranking is severely underrating claymore, the guy who can launch 4 explosives in an opening salvo and soften up the entire room effortlessly.

E: also 2 charges on the motile consumable is worth 2 extra turns per mission whenever you need them, combine that with poo poo like terminal or torque and there is a ton of utility there.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 26, 2020

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Please do not sleep on the amazing things that are happening on the walls of this game.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Holy poo poo, "YOU SHOULD HAVE BELIEVED" is amazing.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'd be really tempted to take one of those as an avatar.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Torque really has learned some things training with the XCOM rookies.

When Whisper says the company you're at is building military equipment for XCOM during a Gray Phoenix mission:

Torque: Explosive of otherwise?
Whisper: Otherwise.
Torque: You hear that, people? We're officially cleared for blind fire!

:haw:

Akratic Method posted:

Holy poo poo, "YOU SHOULD HAVE BELIEVED" is amazing.

It's the name of Sectoid Alex Jones' show.

Magni fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 26, 2020

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Is there no gray market equivalent in this game? is your only way to make extra cash through spec ops/field teams?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Lord Lambeth posted:

Is there no gray market equivalent in this game? is your only way to make extra cash through spec ops/field teams?

There is a grey market but it's only for buying stuff with Intel, there's no selling.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

And done. Didn't do ironman or hardcore but I never failed any missions or reloaded excluding the times things completely bugged out and crashed. Had to ditch my first campaign because of bugs, so learned my lesson there.

Since everyone else is reviewing stuff, I'll throw my hat into the ring too.

I enjoyed the game a lot, got 20 or so hours out of it (thanks quarantine) so that's 2 hours per dollar. Good rate, that, assuming I never replay it. I don't think I'd say it offers any direct improvements over the other Firaxis XCOM games, however. All the things I like about it are things people could quite justifiably call negative points (EG premade squad members and more of a narrative), but there are definitely things I didn't like. Having a strategic layer was nice but basically felt redundant. I came pretty close to losing due to anarchy once since I didn't understand it (skipping the tutorial like a real gamer), but after that it never caused me any real problems. If it ever went above 0 at the end game, I just clicked major crimes unit and it slunk back into zero. I also had an enormous excess of all three currencies.

The actual abilities of the characters are a mixed bag. The skill trees are even more anemic than vanilla XCOM's, and that's before taking into account that a lot of characters simply have one choice that's vastly superior over the other (AoE on Slam? As if enemies frequently bunched up or it actually did damage lmao). Weapons are weird, with how epic ones don't offer any improvement beyond a skill and how both yours and the opposition's tend to be significantly less lethal. It's weird that there's only one android component slot that has a choice between two things and one of them is comically bad. Two percent dodge? Is that some kind of joke?

Gameplay difficult was mediocre. Much easier than XCOM 2, I think. A bug on Grey Pheonix's aside, I beat all of the takedown missions on my first shot and never failed any, beyond the first VIP one where I didn't realize reinforcements moved before you did and the VIP got merced before I could put him back into cover. Speaking of which, there's way too many VIP and escape missions considering you have to leave one at a time and not as a unit. Enemies are just nowhere near as threatening as they were, and their special ability use is wonky. I didn't even know MECs could still do the heavy MEC rocket fire until I hacked one, but androids' first action every time is to bop themselves in the head to explode.

Breaching is interesting at first but not really that great. It's weird how some entrances you have to have a certain item to unlock will only have penalties for using them, for example. It would have been more interesting if things like the breach ceasefire bombs were restricted to various entry points or something, I think.

One thing the game doesn't really take advantage of is the idea that you're police. I wasn't expecting LA Noire but it would have been cool if they actually made you feel more like police. You don't even need to try to engage enemies nonlethally, you can just kill everyone (yes there's an obvious joke here). Guess there's only so much you can ask for from a budget game.

The characters themselves weren't particularly memorable, though some of their banter was fun like Verge and Torque talking about immigrants. I guess it's their first time doing this kind of thing, but I've played plenty of strategy RPGs that have more memorable characters despite having a larger roster. They don't generally just fall into having a central gimmick, I guess? That's something. The radio ads were my favorite part, characterization wise. I liked the stylized cutscenes where stuff happened but 99% of them were single lines by Director Kelly and they were pointless. The antagonists were all completely forgettable, too.

Despite liking the art style, I don't like a lot of the aesthetic changes. Aliens having human voices and just wearing regular clothes and being civilians five years after XCOM is too weird. The game occasionally makes vague motions at integration or racism being an issue but all of the gangs are multi-species which makes the idea they were going for kind of laughable. I'll grant that I'm not sure if Grey Pheonix or Sacred Coil uses human units of their own, but they employ human soldiers so...

The glitchiness should be apparent enough to anyone who's tried the game for more than five minutes. I know it's a budget game but good lord. Turn orders not working as displayed, displaying the wrong unit pane or none at all, weapons disappearing, people attacking the wrong unit, the healing setting changing, and of course good old fashioned crashes, lock-ups and audiovisual errors. EW/WotC were bad for this too but Chimera Squad is so much worse. Presumably that's due to hacking together the various systems overall. While not as gamebreaking, the fact the skip button doesn't work in some scenes and clicking ends others without confirmation is highly annoying.

I think I'd like to see a full budget game built off the concept of Chimera Squad. Not as XCOM 3, but as a more expansive side project that can really dig into exploring the new concepts introduced here. Being an autist and therefore obsessed with quantifying things, I think I'd give this game about a 7.5/10. Enjoyable, an excellent deal for the price, but the flaws are very apparent.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Lord Lambeth posted:

Seems to be the case, outside of the scavenger's market for buying stuff with intel. The weekly income helps, too. I've had no trouble with cash, really. But then in my latest go of it I haven't been using the pistol users. Just SMGs/Shotguns/Zephyr

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Caidin posted:

The font is super hard to read but I think it's a movie posted.

CRISPYBABY posted:

Amplify your Cascade Lance damage.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thinking about it, the thing I dislike most is how there's no real reason to play ironman or not reload if you gently caress up and someone goes down. Yeah there's the android but mid-encounter unless that happens at the end, you're screwed and it's a game over; unlike XCOM 2, you can't power through or try to get over a failure cascade, especially early, due to how the action economy works. It's only happened to me the one time but it kind of sours the experience for me since that's half the fun of the series, but this one actually is all or nothing, every time.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Haha, one of my first mission rewards on my restart was the advanced stock that does 3 damage on a miss. So I gave it to Blueblood who shoots twice for guaranteed 6 damage minimum a turn.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

TK-42-1 posted:

So I had a fun day. I’ve been in the hospital all day and spent most of the time playing this on my work laptop. Got a soft lock after about 6ish hours. Went to start it up again and there were no saves listed anywhere. Even steam cloud was like ‘bwahhhh?’

Turns out that the saves are in my documents which unless i’m attached to the vpn are inaccessible due to roving profiles stored in the data center. The game never complained about this and let me create saves and showed a whole list of saves through the campaign until I had to reload and lost it all.

Fun. On top of an already mind shattering day.

I realize this probably doesn't help because the point of your game is that it is YOUR GAME, but I happened to stream for 6-ish hours on Friday and ended up with a decently progressed savegame. I'd be happy to share it with you to put you approximately back to where you were?