Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It does, I think it has basically the same calculation as Cure -- 7x-8x your Magic Attack stat iirc. It also gets the 20% bonus from the Healing Carcinet accessory.

Is Healing Carcinet even worth using instead of a Magic boosting Accessory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

RatHat posted:

Is Healing Carcinet even worth using instead of a Magic boosting Accessory?

The stat boost accessories are total dogshit since they only multiply base stats rather than the Phys/Magic Attack stats that damage gets calculated from. So let's say that your character has 300 Magic Attack, the Healing Carcinet would be the equivalent of adding 60 Magic, while the +10% Magic one adds around 10 at lvl 50.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Adus posted:

i'm in the same spot. i kind of want to try harder difficulties but i just fear i'll get frustrated. i never learned the battle system too well and i don't think i have the energy to like, rearrange materia and poo poo for each boss battle.

New game + doesn't appear to scale enemies to your level so that certainly seems like a good opportunity to ease into normal and then hard if you dare.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
I'm on chapter 4 and Biggs is telling me "you should equip your summon materia! You'd have to be crazy NOT to!" and I remember Jessie giving me the Ifrit materia before we left to go to the surface, but it's gone from my materia list. How do I access it?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Junk posted:

I'm on chapter 4 and Biggs is telling me "you should equip your summon materia! You'd have to be crazy NOT to!" and I remember Jessie giving me the Ifrit materia before we left to go to the surface, but it's gone from my materia list. How do I access it?

There's a separate slot in your weapon specifically for summon materia.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Adus posted:

i suppose it being a game i replayed fairly often it was easier for me to not lose that perspective. i really don't understand why that disconnect happened in the first place. was it a result of a bunch of people who only played the beginning of the game being especially vocal? even if that was the case, Aerith never really got credit for being snarky and assy and she was like the from the get go.

Yeah, I think it might've just been a vocal collective reaction from a bunch of people who only really played the beginning or didn't pay close attention in the first place overriding my own fuzzy childhood memories, at least in my case. Replaying the game myself was like, poo poo, I don't remember these characters being so fun.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Ainsley McTree posted:

New game + doesn't appear to scale enemies to your level so that certainly seems like a good opportunity to ease into normal and then hard if you dare.

Honestly hard mode isn't really that much harder than when you do the fights on normal the first time around. You might have to restart the occasional fight but having every materia in the game means that you can trivialize a lot of stuff in a way you couldn't during the first playthrough.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I beat the game. Time to replay it on hard mode and get some trophies that I missed

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

RC Cola posted:

I beat the game. Time to replay it on hard mode and get some trophies that I missed

I hope you're ready for a fight. I beat Hard Mode yesterday and some of those fights are an endurance test.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I like that you can skip around in Hard Mode, because the reward you get for doing the special secret VR mission in hard mode is really really fun to mess around with in all encounters, but having to do 17 chapters of Hard Mode to get it would be loving yikes.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

zakharov posted:

the problem wasn't assessing, the problem is that he goes straight up invulnerable for long periods and if you don't get an appropriate-element hit in during the short window that he isn't, you gotta stall again.

if you overcame that, I commend you.

You can force his invuln phase to end quickly, and he immediately attacks with the element opposite of what he's weak to, driving him into a pressured state, which makes it easier to pile on the damage.

Here's a Hard Mode run which is mostly applicable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Cl2h3qMnE

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

So here's a question. Like a moron I didn't save my state after winning the game. I have not yet dropped out to the main menu yet (and I'm glad I didn't). I've just been noodling around with chapter select and grabbing things I missed on my play through or doing Chapter 18 again because it was fun as gently caress.

Is there any way for me to salvage this so I can unlock hard mode, or do I need to suck it up and play through the entire thing from scratch again?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Proteus Jones posted:

So here's a question. Like a moron I didn't save my state after winning the game. I have not yet dropped out to the main menu yet (and I'm glad I didn't). I've just been noodling around with chapter select and grabbing things I missed on my play through or doing Chapter 18 again because it was fun as gently caress.

Is there any way for me to salvage this so I can unlock hard mode, or do I need to suck it up and play through the entire thing from scratch again?

So you're able to do chapter select but not hard mode? I would think that having access to chapter select means that file has saved your endgame status

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

Chapter Select and Hard mode unlock at the same time so if you have one you should have the other.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So you're able to do chapter select but not hard mode? I would think that having access to chapter select means that file has saved your endgame status

I'm an idiot. I thought you could open a New Game in hard mode, but googling seems to indicate it's only on chapter select. Never mind then.

I dumped out to the title screen and didn't see it. I was able to load a save I made after I had been jumping around different chapters, so I guess I'll do that then.

Thanks all

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Playing Barret as melee just feels wrong.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RatHat posted:

Playing Barret as melee just feels wrong.

It really does. I played the wrecking ball and THE CLAW long enough to get the weapon skills to 100% and then hosed back off to the Gun Show.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm an idiot. I thought you could open a New Game in hard mode, but googling seems to indicate it's only on chapter select. Never mind then.

I dumped out to the title screen and didn't see it. I was able to load a save I made after I had been jumping around different chapters, so I guess I'll do that then.

Thanks all

Hard mode is balanced around you having cleared the game. I'm fairly certain it would be impossible to Level 1 it. But I may be proven wrong.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Proteus Jones posted:

It really does. I played the wrecking ball and THE CLAW long enough to get the weapon skills to 100% and then hosed back off to the Gun Show.

They do make cutscenes hilarious though. “Watch yourself or I will fill you full of holes” while he points with a mace arm like a gun

Really hope they keep this battle system. To me it splits the difference between the good parts of FFXV, KH, and even FFXIII

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 26, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

You always have at least one melee person but you won't always have a ranged person and there are too many annoying fliers to not be gunning imo

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Onmi posted:

Hard mode is balanced around you having cleared the game. I'm fairly certain it would be impossible to Level 1 it. But I may be proven wrong.

Hell, I bet there's someone out there planning to do the entire thing with everyone wearing Enfeeblement Rings

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Got a question: Saw a tooltip on the right that was cut off a bit, and when I looked closer, I realise the game screen is too big for the TV I'm in. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Tried doing it under PLaystation settings but didn't affect much. There's no option that I can try in the in-game FFVII menu. Now that I noticed I can't unsee it, but I feel like this issue just popped up for me somehow. It's hardly the first tooltip on the right, just the first one that was blatantly cut off.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Steal your neighbors TV and see if that works better.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

TaurusOxford posted:

There's a separate slot in your weapon specifically for summon materia.

thanks!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

Hell, I bet there's someone out there planning to do the entire thing with everyone wearing Enfeeblement Rings

Oh someone's already cleared Frogiroth

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Shinra Combat Simulator question: What's the most surefire way to trigger the Bomb and Malboro enemy skills? About to run that challenge and I'd rather not have to run through it twice in case they don't proc.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Artelier posted:

Got a question: Saw a tooltip on the right that was cut off a bit, and when I looked closer, I realise the game screen is too big for the TV I'm in. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Tried doing it under PLaystation settings but didn't affect much. There's no option that I can try in the in-game FFVII menu. Now that I noticed I can't unsee it, but I feel like this issue just popped up for me somehow. It's hardly the first tooltip on the right, just the first one that was blatantly cut off.

Somewhere in your TV's menus there should be a picture fit/size setting with options like 16:9, wide, full, etc. Fiddle with those and see if you can get it right. It will likely only change the option for that input, so it shouldn't screw with your other stuff.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

anakha posted:

Shinra Combat Simulator question: What's the most surefire way to trigger the Bomb and Malboro enemy skills? About to run that challenge and I'd rather not have to run through it twice in case they don't proc.

Can't give you anything definitive about bomb, but you won't have to worry about making Malboro use Bad Breath. He'll break it out rather frequently. Just keep your enemy skill-equipped character away from the other two so they don't all get infected with it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

anakha posted:

The bomb skill is probably easier to pick up from one of those "random pieces of plumbing" enemies. When you kill one, it'll automatically self-destruct afterward, so you can just stand by its corpse and get hit to learn it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Proteus Jones posted:

God this would be awful. Even if you can survive bosses would take like an hour to kill.

EDIT: And probably impossible on Hard since you can’t use items.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 26, 2020

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

RatHat posted:

God this would be awful. Even if you can survive bosses would take like an hour to kill.

EDIT: And probably impossible on Hard since you can’t use items.

Never doubt what people will do as a challenge. There's lots of insane ones out there. This one of FFX always makes me laugh https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps2/197344-final-fantasy-x/faqs/41101.

No Sphere Grid, No Summon, No Customize, No Overdrives, No Escape, No No Encounters, No Blitzball.

Permanent Enfeeblement Ring Hard Mode might be more possible than we think.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Have only been playing in short bursts because of work but I'm at Shinra HQ now and by god, this soundtrack absolutely owns.

Already registered my interest in a copy of the 8-disc limited edition set, and that's just PART ONE of what is likely to be an absolutely HUGE soundtrack!

(In Japan the price is set to be 7,777 yen, in Europe 77.77 Euro, lol)

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 26, 2020

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Dell_Zincht posted:

Have only been playing in short bursts because of work but I'm at Shinra HQ now and by god, this soundtrack absolutely owns.

anakha posted:

If this game doesn't sweep the music category at all the major game awards, gently caress this gay earth.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
People were complaining about "padding" with the side quests, but the only time I've really felt it so far was in Chapter 15. I enjoyed the side quests, have so far considered the Remake superior to the original in basically every way, then I hit Chapter 15 and I suddenly find myself wishing I was playing the original version of that particular set piece.

I also didn't find the stairs nearly as fun in this version either. Luckily the rest of the chapter has not disappointed at all.

Oh and also no "shiny golden wire of hope" 0/10 would never play again

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Barret doesn't ask where Jenova's fuckin' head is and that's a serious misstep

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

All I’m saying is part2 better have Barrett in an adorable Sailor Suit

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
a lot of the shinra building is a misstep imo, unfortunately.

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

and Cloud better call him a bear wearing a marshmallow.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I want Red XIII waddling around on two legs with absolutely no one noticing that he's not human.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I need to see the dude get blown away by the force of Rufus' helicopter

bet you didn't notice that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

BisbyWorl posted:

I want Red XIII waddling around on two legs with absolutely no one noticing that he's not human.

I am of the mind that he is gonna have to play the role of Stamp