Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

he needed both hands to rip out the jenova status

Can't he just like, sheath it or something? Or have it magically stick to his back like Cloud does with his swords?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

So something I never thought about in the original because you don’t really see the big picture of the world, everyone in sector 7 topside is dead right? The slums mostly evacuated but Jessie’s mom is dead.

Idk I just finished chapter 12 and the scope of the game makes the Turks totally irredeemable and makes Aerith’s assumption about Rude really dumb.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Rhonne posted:

Why did Sephiroth just leave his sword behind back then?

I don't think he was thinking about it that much considering...you know.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I've heard some folks say that Cloud has a big magnet on his back, and that's how the buster sword attaches.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Dreylad posted:

Also just noticed that Cloud can't see the canon ghosts until Aerith touches him so that's a neat touch (sorry) that I hadn't picked up on the first time. And early game Seph drops some clues about him being from the future or whatever.
It was kind of odd trying to determine who was seeing "Sephiroth" running around and who was seeing him as a Clone puppet. Like, Tifa stops Cloud from killing Marco early on, so presumably she was only seeing the creepy guy next door. Then later on, loving Palmer can see Sephiroth as he's guiding Marco. So can Hojo all the way through a security camera.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

It was kind of odd trying to determine who was seeing "Sephiroth" running around and who was seeing him as a Clone puppet. Like, Tifa stops Cloud from killing Marco early on, so presumably she was only seeing the creepy guy next door. Then later on, loving Palmer can see Sephiroth as he's guiding Marco. So can Hojo all the way through a security camera.

my take was that it's not a perception thing, sephiroth can freely body-hop from clone to clone but they revert to muttery robed guys as soon as he ends the possession

he probably had a good laugh at making tifa think cloud was about to chop a harmless invalid in half lengthwise

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

I wonder if it's a thing where Sephiroth is getting stronger and able to manifest more completely as the game goes on?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Oh, the Sector 5 under-plate section was in the original as well? Guess I never really twigged that the stuff under all those catwalks was like, the slums, 300m below

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

When I played the original game I thought the plates were like, right above the slums not 1000 feet in the air. Presumably this was better visualized with some of the EU stuff but I never paid attention to any of that.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Rhonne posted:

Why did Sephiroth just leave his sword behind back then?

I mean he left one behind in the president in the OG, and thinking on it I'm not really sure if it was supposed to be the same one he had in Niebleheim or the one he had one for Aerith.

Maybe he bought a bunch of spares at the weapon shop?

exquisite tea posted:

When I played the original game I thought the plates were like, right above the slums not 1000 feet in the air. Presumably this was better visualized with some of the EU stuff but I never paid attention to any of that.

I mean Jessie shows you that little wireframe video about the structure of Midgar in the OG too, I think it imply'd it was pretty high up. I remember seeing it a lot because the little train CGI that plays on the way back to the sector 7 slums would always crash the game on the PC version that my brother bought. I never got to see the rest of the game until a couple years later when I actually got my own cheap ps1 in like 2003.

The memories. :allears:

Caidin fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 25, 2020

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

my take was that it's not a perception thing, sephiroth can freely body-hop from clone to clone but they revert to muttery robed guys as soon as he ends the possession

he probably had a good laugh at making tifa think cloud was about to chop a harmless invalid in half lengthwise

I'm going to guess he can only manifest properly in Jenova candidates that have completely lost their minds? We've never seen him manifest in a main named character before.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

DeathChicken posted:

My take is that we're experiencing a combination of Cloud hallucinations and actual Sephiroth "possession". Like, it seems Jenova cells allow one to take on the appearance of another, so when Seph is controlling clones to take Jenova, he's having them appear as Sephiroth to everybody. Meanwhile, Cloud is frequently just seeing hallucinations of Seph a lot. I think he either hallucinated Marco as Seph, or "sensed" the Jenova cells in Marco and his brain went "ahhh, Sephiroth!"

Although this does bring up an interesting twist raised in the remake versus my understanding of the original. In the original, my interpretation was that only the actual Jenova could appear as someone else. The actual Sephiroth and the clones could not. Also, Jenova is basically an amalgamation of independently conscious cells that can live on their own. The more of them are together, the more "willpower" and consciousness Jenova can exert through them.

So my understanding of the Shinra tower section of the original was not that a clone showed up impersonating as Sephiroth to steal Jenova's body- it's that Jenova's body broke ITSELF out of containment, and took on the appearance of Sephiroth. It freed Cloud from his cell so he could participate in the reunion, and then killed President Shinra and left. That's why whenever you catch up to "Sephiroth" in that game, you end up fighting a Jenova boss (it's throwing bits of itself at you), and you never see Sephiroth carrying Jenova's body around- it's because he IS Jenova's body.

Now the remake makes it seem like Jenova's body is inert and just being carried around by random clone lackeys.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 25, 2020

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

My take is that we're experiencing a combination of Cloud hallucinations and actual Sephiroth "possession". Like, it seems Jenova cells allow one to take on the appearance of another, so when Seph is controlling clones to take Jenova, he's having them appear as Sephiroth to everybody. Meanwhile, Cloud is frequently just seeing hallucinations of Seph a lot. I think he either hallucinated Marco as Seph, or "sensed" the Jenova cells in Marco and his brain went "ahhh, Sephiroth!"

Although this does bring up an interesting twist raised in the remake versus my understanding of the original. In the original, my interpretation was that only the actual Jenova could appear as someone else. The actual Sephiroth and the clones could not. Also, Jenova is basically an amalgamation of independently conscious cells that can live on their own. The more of them are together, the more "willpower" and consciousness Jenova can exert through them.

So my understanding of the Shinra tower section of the original was not that a clone showed up impersonating as Sephiroth to steal Jenova's body- it's that Jenova's body broke ITSELF out of containment, and took on the appearance of Sephiroth. It freed Cloud from his cell so he could participate in the reunion, and then killed President Shinr and left. That's why whenever you catch up to "Sephiroth" in that game, you end up fighting a Jenova boss (it's throwing bits of itself at you), and you never see Sephiroth carrying Jenova's body around- it's because he IS Jenova's body.

Now the remake makes it seem like Jenova's body is inert and just be carried around by random clone lackeys.

Eh, considering it's been flat out stated Sephiroth's mind and will have superimposed over Jenova's I always took it as he wanted to get his hands on some more potent genetic material and that "Jenova" as we know it is essentially gone and it's all Sephiroth now.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Flopsy posted:

Eh, considering it's been flat out stated Sephiroth's mind and will have superimposed over Jenova's I always took it as he wanted to get his hands on some more potent genetic material and that "Jenova" as we know it is essentially gone and it's all Sephiroth now.

Sure, but even going with that interpretation, I would've imagined a case where Sephiroth hijacked the Jenova corpse, made it look like himself, and then started heading back to the northern crater in his Jenova suit.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Necrothatcher posted:

I still can't work out why Barret would decide to step through a mysterious portal and potentially never see Marlene ever again. It's clear that someone else realised this as they give him a small scene where he promises he'll be back, but how could he possibly know that? But I guess they've already finished rendering the final cutscenes so he's going through that portal regardless of what makes sense.

He wants to protect the planet and his friends. Leaving Sephiroth free to do whatever puts Marlene at risk, so Barret gets in and fights.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Flopsy posted:

yes, jenova is basically non-sapient and any actions she undertakes in the game have sephiroth at the steering wheel. he's basically remote-piloting her body from his crystal at the north crater, with jenova's mindless aggression taking over for the bits he tears off and sics on the party

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

Sure, but even going with that interpretation, I would've imagined a case where Sephiroth hijacked the Jenova corpse, made it look like himself, and then started heading back to the northern crater in his Jenova suit.

I'll flat out say I'm just throwing poo poo at the wall right now to see what sticks but it's possible that's Jenova's body was not able to free itself due to being in deteriorated condition. The cells are still good for harvesting or using to strengthen other Sephiroth clones but as a meat suit itself? Probably lacking. I'll go so far as to say Sephiroth has converted himself into a new entity altogether using her body as a springboard for his development.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 25, 2020

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

In the same sense that we have trouble defining the line between Sephiroth and Jenova, I'm not totally sure it's accurate to assume that the Sephiroth that we see in the main game vs the Nibelheim flashback are the same in spirit. IMO Sephiroth died when Cloud threw him into the reactor. The presence of the Jenova cells in his "clones" are, symbolically, representations of the traumatic marks he and Shinra have left on people, to the point where he's become a collective-consciousness bogeyman manifesting through a cultic ritual sacrifice, ultimately constructing this horribly mutated, non-verbal homunculus that you confront at the Northern Crater. It's hard to nail down his specific form because it's slightly different for each person affected by him.
Basically, FF7 is Paranoia Agent.
After the Nibelheim incident, I don't really think of Sephiroth as the same "human" person anymore, with sympathetic emotions and motives. He simply "is", as some force of nature.

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 25, 2020

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Beefstew posted:

In the same sense that we have trouble defining the line between Sephiroth and Jenova, I'm not totally sure it's accurate to assume that the Sephiroth that we see in the main game vs the Nibelheim flashback are the same in spirit. IMO Sephiroth died when Cloud threw him into the reactor. The presence of the Jenova cells in his "clones" are, symbolically, representations of the traumatic marks he and Shinra have left on people, to the point where he's become a collective-consciousness bogeyman manifesting through a cultic ritual sacrifice, ultimately constructing this horribly mutated, non-verbal homunculus that you confront at the Northern Crater. It's hard to nail down his specific form because it's slightly different for each person affected by him.
Basically, FF7 is Paranoia Agent.
After the Nibelheim incident, I don't really think of Sephiroth as the same "human" person anymore, with sympathetic emotions and motives. He simply "is", as some force of nature.

This gets complicated by that moment at the edge of creation where he's begging Cloud for help and winces as if in pain when rejected. We've talked about how in the Japanese script this is the only time he speaks the way he used to before he lost his mind. Its an...very odd thing to consider. Also his plans have blatantly changed since OG FF7. In the OG game he merely saw Cloud as means to an end and considered him little more than a puppet. Now he's obsessed with him to point he doesn't even want him to die. I couldn't tell you WHAT he wants with Cloud specifically but it's clear he wants him for something beyond being a black materia delivery unit.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Flopsy posted:

This gets complicated by that moment at the edge of creation where he's begging Cloud for help and winces as if in pain when rejected. We've talked about how in the Japanese script this is the only time he speaks the way he used to before he lost his mind. Its an...very odd thing to consider. Also his plans have blatantly changed since OG FF7. In the OG game he merely saw Cloud as means to an end and considered him little more than a puppet. Now he's obsessed with him to point he doesn't even want him to die. I couldn't tell you WHAT he wants with Cloud specifically but it's clear he wants him for something beyond being a black materia delivery unit.

In the OG FF7 Sephiroth absolutely cared about Cloud specifically. This is why he has Cloud bring him the black materia and why he tries to get him to kill Aerith - he wants to break him because Cloud defeated him in Nibelheim. This is also the strongest reason to think Sephiroth is in charge in game - Jenova has no reason to care about Cloud, only Sephiroth does.

In this game? Who knows! It's great!

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Flopsy posted:

I'm only referring to the original game here, not the remake.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there a trick to putting the Sahagin Prince in a pressured state, or is it just a matter of waiting for him to go into counterattack mode?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Cloud: Somehow, Sephiroth has returned.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Dreylad posted:

I was going to play Hard, loaded up my data and discovered that it hadn't saved me beating the game or something because I couldn't select hard, so I sighed and drew my buster sword and for whatever reason I didn't dislike the ending this much time around.

Also just noticed that Cloud can't see the canon ghosts until Aerith touches him so that's a neat touch (sorry) that I hadn't picked up on the first time. And early game Seph drops some clues about him being from the future or whatever.

On the subject of animation I like how they made Hojo's mouth move in a weird way compared to the other characters, makes him that much more unsettling.

Yeah, the game tells you specifically that you want to make a save file before you exit out after beating the game because otherwise it's not gonna stick.

And if you're gonna have a creepy smile you gotta have a big mouth. Lezard Velath also proves this.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I really messed up and in the replay where I did all quests I didn’t get the elemental materia and then I chapter selected out and now it’s not there anymore

Everything I read about Hard is “ok so I hope you have both elemental materia”

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I really messed up and in the replay where I did all quests I didn’t get the elemental materia and then I chapter selected out and now it’s not there anymore

I think there's just one, isn't there?

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

morallyobjected posted:

I think there's just one, isn't there?

You get one earlier in the game (I forget where) and the second is from Mireille in Chapter 14.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I only take one. Barrier is more important imo and you can save those green and elemental slots to do other stuff like double your total hp.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Just Andi Now posted:

You get one earlier in the game (I forget where) and the second is from Mireille in Chapter 14.

But you have to do *all* the Chapter 14 side quests to have it show up.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i havent been using barrier much in my hard playthrough and its been fine. i dont think any particular materia is absolutely crucial, theres always a way around with most loadouts

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

sharrrk posted:

i havent been using barrier much in my hard playthrough and its been fine. i dont think any particular materia is absolutely crucial, theres always a way around with most loadouts

Yeah for sure, I just find it to be the most efficient since you get so much space and time compared to everyone taking full hits. I like being able to focus on damage output without getting caught out by a huge hit and needing to change my game plan.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I put the Magnify+Barrier combo on Barret in Normal, but when I did use it, it never seemed to last very long, just a few seconds. I guess sometimes that's all you need.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Schwartzcough posted:

I put the Magnify+Barrier combo on Barret in Normal, but when I did use it, it never seemed to last very long, just a few seconds. I guess sometimes that's all you need.

Yeah the time it works for scales off magic attack, so it can last for a very long time when cast by Aerith, but sometimes surviving a big smash you know is on the horizon is enough.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Schwartzcough posted:

So my understanding of the Shinra tower section of the original was not that a clone showed up impersonating as Sephiroth to steal Jenova's body- it's that Jenova's body broke ITSELF out of containment, and took on the appearance of Sephiroth. It freed Cloud from his cell so he could participate in the reunion, and then killed President Shinra and left. That's why whenever you catch up to "Sephiroth" in that game, you end up fighting a Jenova boss (it's throwing bits of itself at you), and you never see Sephiroth carrying Jenova's body around- it's because he IS Jenova's body.

Now the remake makes it seem like Jenova's body is inert and just being carried around by random clone lackeys.

I think maybe Sephiroth bodyjacking the clones was always the intention and the "well Jenova busted its own body out" was just an assumption that people put together from what the original game had to work with.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Harrow posted:

When they introduced the grapple gun before the Sector 5 reactor I thought, oh, this is how they'll justify Cloud surviving his fall into Aerith's church!

Then nope, it breaks and he just plummets but he's fine because he landed on some flowers. Classic Cloud.

And then you hit the plate tower and Wedge breaks out a grappling gun to survive his fall. :v:

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Beefstew posted:

I've heard some folks say that Cloud has a big magnet on his back, and that's how the buster sword attaches.

There are some sound effects that make it seem like this is the case, I can't cite the cutscene atm though.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cloud surviving that fall is totally plausible. The church roof took most of the impact and then the soft flowers did the rest.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cloud can get hit by a pneumatic buzzsaw for 50hp I reckon he's made of stern stuff.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

Cloud surviving that fall is totally plausible. The church roof took most of the impact and then the soft flowers did the rest.

there are numerous incidents which establish that the planet doesn't actually have fall damage. literally the only person who ever gets hurt by falling any distance is tifa and given that cloud falls exactly the same distance and is totally fine it can be assumed that it was some kind of freak accident where she got hit in the head by a piece of falling bridge on the way down or something. everyone else: cloud falls off a mountain and is fine and then off of the plate and is fine, Reno literally jumps off the pillar as a means of escape, the party falls down Corneo's sewer hole and is totally fine, Dyne falls off a cliff while getting shot and is fine(presumably when he jumps later it's not because he's killing himself but rather that he's just chosen to live out the remainder of his life in the ravine), Wedge falls off the pillar and is injured but presumably that's from getting shot beforehand, Tifa jumps off of the Junon tower and is totally fine(and also the soldiers following her show no hesitation even after some of them fall into the streets, presumably because those guys are actually okay), everyone falls off the Nibelheim bridge in the flashback and is fine except that one guy(who the rest seem to think would have survived but might get eaten by monsters). I'm probably forgetting some.

falling just doesn't hurt you, people jump off of buildings or fall off cliffs all the time and are fine. honestly the weirdest thing is that they even bother with parachutes in the return to midgar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The fall was a lot more believable back when I thought the Midgar plates were set just a little bit above the slums but yowza that's gotta hurt.