Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Everyone in FFXIII so far other than Sazh is pretty dumb.

"We shouldn't poke around here, the Pulse fal'Cie could infect us!"
"😊😊😊it'll be okay😊😊"
"...ok."

Although I'm pretty sure Hope follows Vanille because he wants to give her a little Hope, if you catch my drift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

cock hero flux posted:

vanille is somehow 19, technically this is fine

Actually she’s hundreds of years old so she’s not a child soldier and it’s definitely not weird that everyone else gets branded on their arm or on their heart but hers is on her hip under her skirt thing.

Ciao!!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
God FFXIII still feels so new to me, and I vividly remember keeping up with new info, and watching Japanese streamers when it came out there.

I’m one foot in the grave, basically.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I just wanna remind everyone we had a couple 4-year-olds and however old Rydia initially was in our parties in FFIV, Relm who I believe was 6 in FFVI and finally Eiko who was definitely 6 in FFIX. Also Vivi but, ya know, he's an odd one. Dunno how age effects him or how old he technically was.

Whatever happened to super young party members, anyway?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Whatever happened to tiny tots being in the party anyway?

has there been a game with a small child party member where they weren't either universally hated or completely irrelevant?

vivi doesn't count because he's like, a magic robot or whatever

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Vivi had kids shortly after the events of FFIX.

Vivi fucks.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Vivi hosed and then died.

Truly a role model for us all.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It somehow seems different when you have a child wizard help a small adventuring party or whatever, compared to when Snow dumped a bag full of guns in front of a bunch of random folks in a warzone.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

has there been a game with a small child party member where they weren't either universally hated or completely irrelevant?

Do people hate Rydia, Relm and Eiko?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

jokes posted:

It somehow seems different when you have a child wizard help a small adventuring party or whatever, compared to when Snow dumped a bag full of guns in front of a bunch of random folks in a warzone.

to be fair it's not like he was responsible for those people being in the warzone, the government was actively in the process of murdering them

he wasn't like, recruiting them to go to a warzone, he was giving them guns to defend themselves from the space nazis that were here to kill them

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also who hates the Twins? Why would anybody hate them? They aren't around long enough to be offensive and then they "die."

I had Porom in my endgame party in FFIV Advance.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

they also hate cooke and mack some people just dont like kids in their video games

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I've never played 4 but googling rydia and going to her wiki page brings up this https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/9/95/RydiaDS.png
which in combination with "age: 7" raises some questions

I don't remember relm ever doing anything relevant

eiko is actually very annoying to me, yes

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

cock hero flux posted:

I've never played 4 but googling rydia and going to her wiki page brings up this https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/9/95/RydiaDS.png
which in combination with "age: 7" raises some questions

She's only 7 when she first joins your party then leaves for like half the game where she spends like 15 years or something in time sped-up monster underground land

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

they also hate cooke and mack some people just dont like kids in their video games

I mean sure there's obviously going to be some people that just don't want children in their JRPGs but like I don't see them being universally hated or even especially hated I guess?

Like hell they might be, I don't really see much talking about Relm or Eiko when discussing 6 or 9 but I don't really see people hating on them or whatever.

I think more of like Hope or whatever when thinking about FF characters where most people seem to hate them

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

it's been forever since i played 4, but rydia gets like knocked off a boat as a kid! and then it turns out she was chilling in summon-land which has time dilation dimensional stuff going on, so a month(??) to the party is like 15 years to her, more or less. :v:

speaking of kids in other ffs: yuffie's like 16 in 7, and all the party members in 8 are teens i think?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

HD DAD posted:

God FFXIII still feels so new to me, and I vividly remember keeping up with new info, and watching Japanese streamers when it came out there.

I’m one foot in the grave, basically.

As somebody who can remember reading the Howard and Nester parody of Dragon Warrior please kindly go gently caress yourself.

You toddler. You God drat infant.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The weirdest thing about Vanille is that she’s “19” but goes full lolita with Sazh which was just weird af, considering he refers to her as a child a lot. I think I recall a scene where they’re like climbing a ladder or something and he checks out her butt and she makes a comment? Like they definitely wanted to pretend she’s way younger.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Booky posted:

it's been forever since i played 4, but rydia gets like knocked off a boat as a kid! and then it turns out she was chilling in summon-land which has time dilation dimensional stuff going on, so a month(??) to the party is like 15 years to her, more or less. :v:

speaking of kids in other ffs: yuffie's like 16 in 7, and all the party members in 8 are teens i think?

If we get into teens then most of the heroes are kids. Squall, Zidane and Tidus are all teenagers, 16-17.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Cloud is canonically 15

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

NikkolasKing posted:

If we get into teens then most of the heroes are kids. Squall, Zidane and Tidus are all teenagers, 16-17.

yeah, theres a ton more teens than straight up kids (like uhh, the ff3 party???)

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’d honestly love a FF with a cast in their 30s-50s. I know RPGs exist with those age groups, but it’d be nice for FF to do it once.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I felt super loving ancient when I realized I am older than extremely grizzled old man Auron.

FF characters ages is basically this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGxCMyLm6js

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

FFVI is overall the best about age because it has multiple characters that are like 27 instead of 17 and it even has an actual 50-year old, but then there's Celes the 18-year old general

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

She’s a child soldier drafted, indoctrinated, and experimented upon. Honestly it kinda makes sense they’d make her a general at 18 since she was a weapon of war they decided to throw away at the first sign of disloyalty. There were a lot of generals.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Her age literally never comes into play in the story so you can just pretend she's 20-30 something.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Most dumb anime/video game ages never come into play in the story anyway so if we're gonna say that this entire conversation is basically useless.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Please, if the Final Fantasy thread doesn't get to repeat this exact discussion practically word from word at regular intervals then the time loop will start unraveling and we all know what kind of nonsense messing with time inevitably brings about.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It means a lovely starter boss doesnt go on to become satan?

And Eiko is probably my least favorite FF character or near the bottom. What an awful design and execution

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Only played about an hour of it but Zodiac Age is good! I've just got to the point where gambits have been properly introduced, I remember setting up a good Steal gambit was a pain on the PS2 version as your thief still saw targets they'd already stolen from as valid, so a Foe: Any gambit would have them constantly trying to steal from the same enemy. I think I got around it by having their attack command kick in when an enemy was at 90% health, and hope that they got a successful steal off before the rest of the party knocked the enemy under that threshold.

Is there a better way of doing this in Zodiac Age, or something I've missed? I'm hoping gambits open up a bit quicker than in the original.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Party Boat posted:

Only played about an hour of it but Zodiac Age is good! I've just got to the point where gambits have been properly introduced, I remember setting up a good Steal gambit was a pain on the PS2 version as your thief still saw targets they'd already stolen from as valid, so a Foe: Any gambit would have them constantly trying to steal from the same enemy. I think I got around it by having their attack command kick in when an enemy was at 90% health, and hope that they got a successful steal off before the rest of the party knocked the enemy under that threshold.

Is there a better way of doing this in Zodiac Age, or something I've missed? I'm hoping gambits open up a bit quicker than in the original.

You do it with Steal 100% and have it on all 3 party members, then once Steal goes off, you hit the enemy once to break it.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
In Zodiac Age you can buy all the gambits after you escape the dungeon.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

cock hero flux posted:

Aht in Radiant Historia was a loving wrecking ball in combat... and, of course, also got a bunch of the "hot for the MC" lines, because Japan.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think child characters in any RPG are lame because precocious children who never shut up are also the worst IRL.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Aht in Radiant Historia was a loving wrecking ball in combat... and, of course, also got a bunch of the "hot for the MC" lines, because Japan.

I remember playing RH once and having my run stall out at a late game boss that had two crystals mooks which couldn't be moved, kneecapping Aht's power right out the gate.

That reminds me, did the remake fix Rosch being completely useless because he didn't get leaked XP for like 70% of the game?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Party Boat posted:

Easiest way is to have a non-controlled character steal at foe = 100% hp. That way your controlled character always attacks the mob first since you're the one that's approached and whacked the target first, while the stealer is still waiting for his/her ability to charge up and won't try to steal a second time since the target's health has since been reduced below 100%.

If you put steal on your controlled character you find you'll cast it twice in a row because the rest of your non-controlled party lags slightly behind you and take a short while to land a hit. So put it on non-controlled characters.

It's one of the most common small complaints about the steal ability in FFXII, unfortunately Square never did a Mug at 100% health ability which would have solved the issue of multiple steal attempts on the same target.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

BisbyWorl posted:

I remember playing RH once and having my run stall out at a late game boss that had two crystals mooks which couldn't be moved, kneecapping Aht's power right out the gate.

That reminds me, did the remake fix Rosch being completely useless because he didn't get leaked XP for like 70% of the game?

The remake Chrono Trigger DS'd the story with its additional content.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Agents are GO! posted:

Everyone in FFXIII so far other than Sazh is pretty dumb.

"We shouldn't poke around here, the Pulse fal'Cie could infect us!"
"😊😊😊it'll be okay😊😊"
"...ok."

The fal'Cie up till very recently was considered a boogeyman, or a myth or legend. Something everyone was told to fear but no one had seen for generations. It's actually part of the plot that most cocoon people don't know how to handle the Pulse poo poo when the events of 13 start breaking down, something that's a recurring idea throughout the entire story.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Kanfy posted:

Please, if the Final Fantasy thread doesn't get to repeat this exact discussion practically word from word at regular intervals then the time loop will start unraveling and we all know what kind of nonsense messing with time inevitably brings about.

I'm just waiting for X-2 talk to start up again. By my calculations it should be coming up pretty soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm always happy to talk about the greatest JRPG ever made.