Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Reporting from Atlanta.

It was pretty busy today. Everybody out enjoying the spring weather, going to restaurants.

We're all gonna die.
I was reading that it was similar in Savannah as well. People going out without masks like things are fine. With how Kemp has acted, I honestly don't think he would do another lockdown even if things get bad, because like Trump he can't seem to admit when he's wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

relax-o-vision
Feb 21, 2007

I mean, I'd point out that you're blatantly lifting his words out of context, but you don't seem interested in context.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Barack Obama personally built the cages with his own two hands.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

relax-o-vision posted:

I mean, I'd point out that you're blatantly lifting his words out of context, but you don't seem interested in context.

"barach obama built the child cages" is literally damning in and of itself

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I am not sure how building dog kennels as even a temporary solution would be okay but here we are.

relax-o-vision
Feb 21, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

There are degrees of wrongness. Obama and Biden are bad. Trump has been much, much worse.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Yes trump is much worse

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/davidmackau/status/1253374873474338817?s=19

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It's pretty freaking amazing how some goons hate Obama with the similar kind of hatred usually seen in Donald Trump when it comes to Obama.
Ditto for some goons hatred of the Dems. Let's see, in the Dems side there is AOC, Tlaib, Torn, Abrams, and in the Republican side there is...? Clearly they are the same monsters.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

A big flaming stink posted:

The correct choice was obviously to ramp the poo poo out of humane/comfortable unaccompanied-children programs. I don't actually know thing one about whether Obama did this, and I haven't seen any "Obama built the child cages :smug: " posters talk about it, but I think we can reasonably assume he didn't do it fast enough by virtue of there having been a nontrivial number of caged children. Would've been nice if instead of listening to ICE/CBP leadership he instead punched them in their mouth whenever they opened it, not doing so is unequivocally a significant moral failure.

relatedly i don't think the confinement element is as important as the conditions element even though it's more fun to own people with "child cages" than with "it was cold, the food sucked, and they didn't get enough exercise or human contact", if they'd been housed in decent temporary group homes or the like that they happened not to be allowed to leave we wouldn't care nearly as much, i know this because some of the kids were in fact placed in this sort of environment pretty promptly and nobody whatsoever is posting about it being a crime against humanity

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 26, 2020

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

relax-o-vision posted:

Ah yes, the context of building cages for children is so important. Thank you for opening my eyes to why child cages are good because a Democrat did it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ManBoyChef posted:

i could just see that. I'll set the scene for you. Its christmas morning and I have been amping up that I am getting my son a pet. He comes rushing downstairs expecting a dog or cat or at least a rabbit or something and I hold up a plastic cage and say "here is your skink son"

I have a skink and he is a wonderful pet. He is very interactive, can tell the difference between different people, likes to scrabble, and will hang out on my head. He will also let me know when he's getting angry because he will make a little gesture like he's about to bite me, which means he wants to go back in his cage. If I don't do it, he will bite me, but very very lightly. He is smart and a good pet.

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

Madkal posted:

It's pretty freaking amazing how some goons hate Obama with the similar kind of hatred usually seen in Donald Trump when it comes to Obama.
Ditto for some goons hatred of the Dems. Let's see, in the Dems side there is AOC, Tlaib, Torn, Abrams, and in the Republican side there is...? Clearly they are the same monsters.

If you are a politician sitting in Congress, then you are a part of the problem. Regardless of Party.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

relatedly i don't think the confinement element is as important as the conditions element

Extrajudicial confinement of children is fine as long as we give the kids bunk beds and an Xbox, you heard it here first folks.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

barack obama built the child cages to hold unexpectedly huge numbers of unaccompanied children until they could be, largely, placed responsibly in responsible homes and allowed to remain in the United States, because he listened to assholes when that was the best temporary-living solution they came up with

donald trump built more and did something else

Hmm...could they have built housing for refugees other than cages with foil wraps for sleeping bags?

Nope, everything that Obama did had to happen...it was the only option. Have you seen the other guys?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mat Cauthon posted:

Extrajudicial confinement of children is fine as long as we give the kids bunk beds and an Xbox, you heard it here first folks.

i'm not particularly up on the legal or practical standard for whether four year olds should be allowed to wander off from their housing

but even if we conclude it's unacceptable (I dunno, I might) it's still less-worse than treating them poorly/dangerously poorly

if Obama stuck them in tents in the desert without walls keeping them in, that wouldn't exactly be a meaningful improvement (except maybe on the exercise angle I guess)

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 26, 2020

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Folks you have to take into consideration the context of why those Japanese people were put into internment camps

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
seems to be the time honored "obama did bad thing, trump then followed up and made it way way way way way worse" thing

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Pick posted:

I have a skink and he is a wonderful pet. He is very interactive, can tell the difference between different people, likes to scrabble, and will hang out on my head. He will also let me know when he's getting angry because he will make a little gesture like he's about to bite me, which means he wants to go back in his cage. If I don't do it, he will bite me, but very very lightly. He is smart and a good pet.

a lot of people don't know it but lizards like that can and will actually learn and develop their own unique personalities over a lifetime.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

:sickos:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Craig K posted:

seems to be the time honored "obama did bad thing, trump then followed up and made it way way way way way worse" thing

And also "if Obama hadn't done bad thing, Trump wouldn't continue doing bad thing and making it worse" because as we all know, the one thing Donald Trump loves doing is the exact same thing as Barack Obama.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 26, 2020

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Republicans are not responsible for their actions, if they do something bad it is always a Democrats fault. You are not allowed to talk about Republicans doing a bad thing if you do not list every bad thing done by Democrats at the start of your post.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
It's objectivism vs absolutism in a one fall, twenty minute time limit cage match. Friedrich Neitzche and Soren Kierkegaard are your referees.

baseness
Feb 26, 2004
Dark Dreams
https://twitter.com/Jkylebass/status/1253699340507414528

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The solution was to have already have large buildings with living spaces already built and ready to go for the unprecedented problem they were facing.

Wilbur Swain posted:

It's objectivism vs absolutism in a one fall, twenty minute time limit cage match. Friedrich Neitzche and Soren Kierkegaard are your referees.

But who built the cage?

Edit:
https://twitter.com/APOSTOL111111/status/1253709957763121152

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I wonder whose terrible policies in Latin and South America led to this unforseen influx of unaccompanied minors in the first place? Gosh if only there were a way for problems like this to be stopped in the first place by not exploiting and destabilizing the gently caress out of every country that says "hey maybe we don't deserve to be exploited by imperialists so that fat morons in the US can have (insert cheap disposable commodity here)."

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Push El Burrito posted:

But who built the cage?

A nameless functionary.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Madkal posted:

i believe caging children in the hope it will earn you brownie points from republicans to be monstrous. evidently this is not a trait we share.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

aw man. that dead chud in the buzzfeed article was the same from a few days ago. was hoping for some new blood :smith:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

aw man. that dead chud in the buzzfeed article was the same from a few days ago. was hoping for some new blood :smith:

This is still gross.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

KillHour posted:

This is still gross.

why?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'll believe Kim Jong-Un is dead when Dennis Rodman says so

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Do I really have to explain why it's bad to hope more people die?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

KillHour posted:

Do I really have to explain why it's bad to hope more people die?

who's talking about people :confused:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The social backlash and extremely public nature of it is good though, in a bad way I guess. Because no one wants to put their family through the same poo poo that guys family is going go through.

Now if people didn't have to loving die to accomplish this it would be great.

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011
Holy crap. People are really defending Obama's child cages, huh.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Disnesquick posted:

Holy crap. People are really defending Obama's child cages, huh.

So what’s the solution for processing a large number of unaccompanied minors into the country for relatives to retrieve them or to return them to their parents when the existing state foster system is underfunded and overwhelmed?

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

DreamingofRoses posted:

So what’s the solution for processing a large number of unaccompanied minors into the country for relatives to retrieve them or to return them to their parents when the existing state foster system is underfunded and overwhelmed?

Funding and personnel? Maybe some more immigration judges to increase throughput? Build a housing solution fit for human beings and staff it with personnel trained in child development who arent Neo-Nazis?

Lol, jk. Off to the kennels with those filthy animals

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Unoriginal Name posted:

Funding and personnel? Maybe some more immigration judges to increase throughput? Build a housing solution fit for human beings and staff it with personnel trained in child development who arent Neo-Nazis?

Lol, jk. Off to the kennels with those filthy animals

Who controlled the funding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
What, you mean who controlled the house and the senate in the years the camps were built?