Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

They’re still going to but it’s gonna be two TV shows a year. Probably more.

Yeah but I'm going to miss all of the young actors saying "real sets make me feel like im in the star wars" while a disney rep holds a gun to them off camera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ingmar terdman posted:

P wild that two years ago the plan was to put out two star wars a year haha

I always thought that was a bad idea, and I cringed when they announced Solo was coming out in May as a clear test run to see if less than 6 months after the last Star Wars movie was enough time. One movie a year seemed like the perfect model, every December a new Star Wars movie. They hosed that up, and seemed to take the wrong lesson from it ("Apparently we need to stop making Star Wars movies!").

So dumb.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

thrawn527 posted:

I always thought that was a bad idea, and I cringed when they announced Solo was coming out in May as a clear test run to see if less than 6 months after the last Star Wars movie was enough time. One movie a year seemed like the perfect model, every December a new Star Wars movie. They hosed that up, and seemed to take the wrong lesson from it ("Apparently we need to stop making Star Wars movies!").

So dumb.

Yeah, they hosed up when they moved to the idea that a Star Wars release should just be another big franchise movie and not an *event*.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The only lesson capitalists are able to learn from a failure is "we've burnt this one out, time to move on."

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Robot Style posted:

I noticed a lot of the outdoors stuff seemed oddly blown out, but most of it was shot in an LED soundstage with false backgrounds, so it might be a byproduct of the technology.

Yeah, I feel like this must explain it. Maybe something to do with the false backgrounds means they can only light it in particular (very flat) ways? I might be expecting too much from a TV show which is still low-budget in comparison but the prequels famously made a lot of use of greenscreens 15-20 years ago, and for as much as people may not like them the exteriors at least had colours in them other than grey and (for particularly exciting scenes) beige.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, they hosed up when they moved to the idea that a Star Wars release should just be another big franchise movie and not an *event*.

I don't know that I agree. The sacredness around Star Wars has to be as much a burden as a benefit.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

You guys know it could be just as simple as “Jon Favreau isn’t particularly good at working with DPs to make things look good”, Libatique’s work with pretty much anyone else far outstrips everything he’s done with Favreau. Same with Bill Pope. All they seem to manage to do is bring a polish to what’s honestly extremely flat framing and composition choices.

Never mind that this was Baz Idione’s first long-form job where he was heading the entire photography unit (for six episodes, anyway). He’s a long-time operator and assistant and has done plenty of second unit and pick-up work, he’s not inexperienced, but there’s a huge jump from being one of the cogs to building the whole drat clock.

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 21, 2020

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't know that I agree. The sacredness around Star Wars has to be as much a burden as a benefit.

Yeah, that's fair. But after seeing Disney's ups and downs with the franchise, I think that sacred status can't be removed, just tarnished. So they might as well use it as an engine to drive hype and marketing.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

cargohills posted:

I'm not particularly convinced by this, due to the sheer number of Westerns that look Good Actually. You can tell the characters in Sergio Leone's films are caked in dirt and sweat but the camerawork is still beautiful. Not expecting the show to be quite at that level but at least approaching as nice looking as the desert scenes in Star Wars (1977) would be a start.

I think the big difference between the two is that those Italian westerns were shot out on locations instead of sound stages with lcd backdrops. Leone made use of the open vistas whereas Mandalorian always has this subliminally cramped and enclosed feeling, since every single bit of it was shot indoors.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I was trying to remember where I had seen the Han/Kylo ROS scene play out before, and it's in that episode of arrested development where Gob knocks his dad out with ether and the puppeteers him saying "I love you son" etc

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

thrawn527 posted:

They hosed that up, and seemed to take the wrong lesson from it ("Apparently we need to stop making Star Wars movies!").

But that's the correct lesson...?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

They’re still going to but it’s gonna be two TV shows a year. Probably more.

Like I said previously...

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/star-wars-series-leslye-headland-disney-plus-1234587493/amp/

That makes FOUR Star Wars TV shows in the works. I don’t even care, pedal to the metal!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Cartoon Man posted:

That makes FOUR Star Wars TV shows in the works. I don’t even care, pedal to the metal!

I can't not read that as Cassian and/or Rogue One prequel

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

2022 there’ll be a Star Wars variety show on D+. Hosted by Yoda voiced by either AI Frank Oz or a second string actor from a current comedy tv show.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

This all seems dumb and bad

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

well why not posted:

2022 there’ll be a Star Wars variety show on D+. Hosted by Yoda voiced by either AI Frank Oz or a second string actor from a current comedy tv show.

you mean in addition to the Ahmed Best hosted game show right

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
When do you think they'll remember Star Wars Detours exists and decide "gently caress it, time to squeeze the last couple of dollars out of the brand"?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

cargohills posted:

Yeah, I feel like this must explain it. Maybe something to do with the false backgrounds means they can only light it in particular (very flat) ways? I might be expecting too much from a TV show which is still low-budget in comparison but the prequels famously made a lot of use of greenscreens 15-20 years ago, and for as much as people may not like them the exteriors at least had colours in them other than grey and (for particularly exciting scenes) beige.

The false backgrounds ARE the lighting, including from above. I think it's probably more intentional coloring choices?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ruddiger posted:

I think the big difference between the two is that those Italian westerns were shot out on locations instead of sound stages with lcd backdrops. Leone made use of the open vistas whereas Mandalorian always has this subliminally cramped and enclosed feeling, since every single bit of it was shot indoors.

That said, a lot of those westerns' lighting were also blown out as gently caress looking by the time you were watching them VHS or on TV, even notably incredible looking ones like The Great Silence. And while I don't think the series' look is like some kind of misunderstood masterstroke homage, I do think overall they were going more for like Django and other Corbucci and Sartana flicks you'd catch at a weird time on TV or at your video store more than what a lot of those movies were really intended to look like.

One way they could fix this easily though, like the Seven Samurai homage episode's planet had some good variety of stuff going on in it, they just need to have a few more episodes where the environment isn't "barren shithole."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Talk to me when a guy brings in a coffin with a laser-gatling in it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm looking forward to the season 2 premiere of The Mandolorian set in Miami.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MonsieurChoc posted:

Talk to me when a guy brings in a coffin with a laser-gatling in it.

The one he did pick up and use, I'm still perplexed as to why instead of him just taking it it wasn't introduced via a box being dragged by a storm trooper or something during the battle.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

This is from WAY back, but there's a huge backlog on the intro creator...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA4h2gRHEmU

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 26, 2020

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Stairmaster posted:

This all seems dumb and bad

:yeshaha:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

mllaneza posted:

This is from WAY back, but there's a huge backlog on the intro creator...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA4h2gRHEmU

This is art.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Star Wars: This is gonna be G

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
https://www.polygon.com/2020/4/30/21242568/george-lucas-favorite-star-wars-the-clone-wars-episodes-dave-filoni-movie-referneces

George Lucas status: still owns

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That episode is one of the best. I love that little frog general.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Star Wars is good when it gets weird with it and that is a good episode.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I really do have to watch Clone Wars at some point. It is funny though how George is still good at what he does best: taking the good parts from other movies and sticking them into his own projects :v:

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Let me know when Clone Wars does the Anna Karina dance scene from Band of Outsiders.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I really do have to watch Clone Wars at some point. It is funny though how George is still good at what he does best: taking the good parts from other movies and sticking them into his own projects :v:

Later Clone Wars episodes start sticking other Star Wars scenes in them, so it goes full circle.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Darko posted:

Later Clone Wars episodes start sticking other Star Wars scenes in them, so it goes full circle.

Star Wars movies started sticking other Star Wars scenes in them back in 1983.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Remember when Luke copied Vader and cut Vader's hand off like Vader did to him?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I do wonder sometimes how I would have felt about ROTJ walking out of the theater in 83, I recognize it as pretty flawed now but in the 90s vhs box set days the three movies were all kinda one unimpeachable block

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

He's family friendly Tarantino.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Ingmar terdman posted:

I do wonder sometimes how I would have felt about ROTJ walking out of the theater in 83, I recognize it as pretty flawed now but in the 90s vhs box set days the three movies were all kinda one unimpeachable block

There's still archived newsgroup threads and what not from 83 with peoples first impressions and what not

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Stairmaster posted:

There's still archived newsgroup threads and what not from 83 with peoples first impressions and what not

"These matte paintings look like a (future) video game! Lucas raped my recently born children's childhood!"

If only we had heeded their warnings

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

I wanna read those posts and the ones about the Ewok movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ingmar terdman posted:

Youd prolly like it because movies were more of an event, home video was barely existant, and the spectacle was more about seeing the good guys win. People werent really combing through and seeing the nuance of Empire by rewatching constantly then. Depending on your age, you would probably have liked it too just because non critics watched movies a lot differently then.

I was young and was just scared of Salacious Crumb but thought the rest was amazing.