Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Yes, the latter being more holistically fulfilling but the former serving the functional purpose. If sex involved the same kind of problems as long distance travel then I would make the same argument.

"Travel is indefensible but I enjoy it" doesn't make it less indefensible, and I think the argument that it changes how people perceive the world is mostly an argument that it does that while being enjoyable. And while people need enjoyment in their lives, I think there are better ways it could be provided.

I'm not sure you're doing sex right :colbert:

Edit: 21st June 1791 – King Louis XVI of France and his immediate family begin the Flight to Varennes during the French Revolution. The carbon impact of this journey remains uncalculated.

blunt fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Apr 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

OwlFancier posted:

If sex involved the same kind of problems as long distance travel then I would make the same argument.

Sore rear end.

Checks out.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

blunt posted:

I agree. That's why I'm suggesting a method that makes each subsequent flight exponentially more expensive.

A few years back I was in a situation where my partner was seriously ill and moved back to Italy to receive treatment. I was flying out every other weekend for about a year to be with her. People don't just travel for business and pleasure.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

blunt posted:

Here's a fun fact - the type of employees who go on multiple international work trips per year tend to have more sway in their organisation than the key workers manning the tills at Tesco. Crazy right?

Why would you think this is true? Absolute best-cast scenario, you get companies offering to cover the surcharge if you're sent internationally. Worst-case, they point out that they're already paying you a wage to do your job. If my manager tells me I have to go to a trade show, I have to go to a trade show. We don't both pour a martini and settle down to discuss whether or not I want to.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

A few years back I was in a situation where my partner was seriously ill and moved back to Italy to receive treatment. I was flying out every other weekend for about a year to be with her. People don't just travel for business and pleasure.

The sell ragout in the UK, she didn't have to go all that way.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Train pricing is completely insane. I visit my sister once a year in glasgow from the west country. Roughly 1 hour flight vs what a 9/10 hour ride. At 1/2 the cost? When you are just coming for the weekend what would you do?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

There are always going to be edge cases that a system doesn't adequately work for (and so has dispensations or exclusions involving a little bit of extra admin work), but we absolutely have to get the volume of air travel down. An overwhelming majority of (non-cargo) airtravel is business travel where the person organising and paying for the flight isn't necessarily the person who's taking the flight, which is why I believe that a sharply escalating cost is the best way to make these people reconsider the costs to their bottom line (because they sure as poo poo don't care about the costs to the environment).

I hope your partner is doing well.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1254320484776378369

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

josh04 posted:

Why would you think this is true? Absolute best-cast scenario, you get companies offering to cover the surcharge if you're sent internationally. Worst-case, they point out that they're already paying you a wage to do your job. If my manager tells me I have to go to a trade show, I have to go to a trade show. We don't both pour a martini and settle down to discuss whether or not I want to.

Because it's been true in my personal experience (declining international travel when it wasn't convenient for my situation at that time) and I (like you) was extrapolating.

Sorry about your boss though 😕

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Necrothatcher posted:

I get that there's no defence of the environmental impact of travelling, but experiencing other cultures is really important for being able to place your own in context.

I don’t think many British tourists “experience other cultures” so much as stay in a hotel, look at some statues and animals, and eat at dodgy tourist restaurants. Maybe if you go backpacking or you work somewhere for a few months it’s mind-expanding but the vast majority of tourists are going for hot weather and beaches, not a cultural lesson.

By local area I don’t even mean travelling to Brighton instead of Africa or whatever. I also mean engaging with stuff in your IMMEDIATE local area within walking distance that people are currently being forced to make the most of. I’ve found a bunch of interesting things and people nearby that I didn’t know about before despite living here all my life. If everyone had to stay local more often, front gardens would be gardens instead of car parks, local experts and businesses would be more appreciated, people wouldn’t accept completely poo poo tower blocks with gently caress all to do around them... stuff would just be nicer imo. Kinda wish we had some non-sexist Amish type community in the UK, I’d be p happy with a horse and cart

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Beefeater1980 posted:

She was in my class at secondary school. Always seemed nice and fairly normal. I suspect that didn’t survive life on the journo circuit.

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1254346487292669952?s=20

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

I assume some of you know of the Frequent Flyer Levy proposals by the Green Party a few years back?

You get one 'normal' price flight per year, with additional flights going up incrementally in price. With businesses accountable for their flyers too.

It was interesting, but never went anywhere for further debate.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Kinda wish we had some non-sexist Amish type community in the UK, I’d be p happy with a horse and cart
There are communes everywhere, go join Swampy.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Isn't the impact of IT higher than that of flying now? And not just because of the virus

Surely the same argument that people are using against travel can be used against staring at SA on your PC

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Electronics absolutely should not be made as disposable as possible.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ratjaculation posted:

Isn't the impact of IT higher than that of flying now? And not just because of the virus

Surely the same argument that people are using against travel can be used against staring at SA on your PC

But think of the different amount of time people invest into it. IT is just there as a background thing in our lives, which makes it a lot harder to get rid off compared to flying, which is a nice descrete activity that you only do infrequently.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Anyone who thinks there is anything worth doing in this country that isn't a) kill Tories or b) do ridiculous amounts of drugs and hopefully OD is deluded, tbqh

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I can't get over this take.

https://twitter.com/montie/status/1253921766671626246

You think we're idiots? Well, what about in the universe where we aren't idiots? :smug:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OwlFancier posted:

Electronics absolutely should not be made as disposable as possible.

Designing phones and phone software to ensure that their usability plummets at the end of a standard contract period needs to be far more harshly punished. I think Apple's the only one who's faced heavy fines, and only because they made it so blindingly obvious. Each company putting out a new model every year like clockwork doesn't help either.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Ratjaculation posted:

Yes.

Tackling climate change isn't going to be achieved by choosing between different industries. We need reductions across all industries.

For your point specifically, data centers (a significant part of computing but obviously only one part) consume about 2% of global energy. They're disproportionately from green sources though, so only account for about 0.3% of greenhouse gas emissions though.

(Air travel is about 2% of emissions)

https://fortune.com/2019/09/18/internet-cloud-server-data-center-energy-consumption-renewable-coal/

Obviously this doesn't account for the manufacture of tech products though, which is an absolute horror show.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

stev posted:

Designing phones and phone software to ensure that their usability plummets at the end of a standard contract period needs to be far more harshly punished. I think Apple's the only one who's faced heavy fines, and only because they made it so blindingly obvious. Each company putting out a new model every year like clockwork doesn't help either.

Also lack of serviceablilty, and just generally the focus on the assumption that devices will be replaced with something better so they don't need to last as long is a problem, but it's also the only way the field can function under capitalism of course.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

my macbook is 10 years old this year :toot: and it was a refurb

but apples phones are dire for planned obsolescence

I assume their newer laptops are too

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also if patents weren't a thing people wouldn't have to waste their time recreating the wheel over and over again rather than being able to use collaboratively developed software off the shelf.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

May I ask what your THATCHER DEAD SO WHAT voxpops was shown on? I remember the reveal that it was a goon and seeing a clip of it at the time but can't remember which flavour of news. I hope it was the BBC.

I still laugh remembering that a couple of people before you were full on TRAGEDY MARVELLOUS STRONG LEADER RAH RAH and then they clearly felt they had to get a bit of balance. Instead of getting some mild "well I wasn't a fan of her policies but I wouldn't wish ill on any human" type thing, we got you with the little smile and the hand gesture going full brutal lol.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

OwlFancier posted:

The army has been struggling to find recruits for a long time, not least because they privatised the recruitment process :v:

There's enough interest application wise, Capita seems to be the bottleneck, friend of mine got back in after being out two years, 9 months of that was waiting on capita to stop loosing his paperwork.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There must be a novel written by now where the cyberpunk future resolves itself because it turns out private entities can't handle the amount of effort involved in brutally suppressing people without state backup.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Horny on main.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Boing posted:

I can't get over this take.

https://twitter.com/montie/status/1253921766671626246

You think we're idiots? Well, what about in the universe where we aren't idiots? :smug:

idgi almost every single one of those would be a perfectly sensible question??

or is the joke the idea that the BBC might criticise the government

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Ratjaculation posted:

There are communes everywhere, go join Swampy.

Something tells me people on communes are all banging each other, is this true y/n. I’m looking for more of an anti-horny, please leave me alone I’m just here to grow veg in peace vibe

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Pistol_Pete posted:

I agree with all of this

Also this. Pass a UN resolution to restrict everyone to a max of 1 trip abroad every 3 years imo. Stop buzzing round the world like bluebottles when there's plenty to do here.

yeah cool people shouldn’t be allowed to visit their families

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Pistol_Pete posted:

I agree with all of this

Also this. Pass a UN resolution to restrict everyone to a max of 1 trip abroad every 3 years imo. Stop buzzing round the world like bluebottles when there's plenty to do here.

So my daughter lives in Scotland.
My Sister-in-law lives in Australia with her husband and daughter.
My other Sister-in-law moved to Canada in February.

Under your plan my wife and I would have to plan out which of our family members we could see in person for every three years? And do so in advance and hope nothing major happens in their lives every three years.

Really doesn't seem workable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

People working in fossil fuels also shouldn't lose their jobs, but they're going to have to regardless, because the conditions that allow them to exist are unsustainable. You can and should argue for a just transition, but "travelling a lot is important to me" cannot be a justification for "so we can't do anything about it"

Not morally, like, physically, it cannot, if it is, a lot more people will be unable to visit their families owing to being dead.

minema
May 31, 2011
We travelled to Northern Italy for our honeymoon last year by train. It was a bit more expensive than flights but much more enjoyable and we had a night in Paris each end of the week. Our plan before coronas was to have local camping or cheap UK breaks in the year and then one European holiday in the summer where we go by train. Travelling is fun but flying is bad so it was the compromise we made.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

Given everything that's happened in the last three months I believe this phrase is now meaningless.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

minema posted:

We travelled to Northern Italy for our honeymoon last year by train. It was a bit more expensive than flights but much more enjoyable and we had a night in Paris each end of the week. Our plan before coronas was to have local camping or cheap UK breaks in the year and then one European holiday in the summer where we go by train. Travelling is fun but flying is bad so it was the compromise we made.

This is the thing, some people here seem to be arguing "foreign travel bad", and using the terribleness of planes to justify that.

Like I'd be happy with some kind of flight ration system, but not because abroad sucks and there's nothing there that you can't get just as well at home.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

The Question IRL posted:

Under your plan my wife and I would have to plan out which of our family members we could see in person for every three years? And do so in advance and hope nothing major happens in their lives every three years.

It's how humans have lived for most of history.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pablo Bluth posted:

For most of history everyone a person knew and loved lived within a 10 minute walk.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Pablo Bluth posted:

lmao this mf

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

The Question IRL posted:

I'm definitely not onboard with the "ban travel" thing, but tbf the expectation that you will ever see a relative who moves to Canada or Australia again is something that's only existed for about 50 years so it's not that hard to conceptualise a world without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pablo Bluth posted:

This, I think, is also an extremely pertinent point. The idea of a globally interconnected world in every sense, on demand, is a dream, it's a dream that has persisted for a long time, but it is one that we are going to wake up from, one way or another. It may be a dream that can be realised sustainably at a point in the future, but the way it functions now is not possible to perpetuate for much longer, and the only remaining choice is how horrible the waking period is.

It is not fair that you were put into a world that told you that dream was real and forever, but you were regardless. The choice now is whether to stay there for as long as possible so that our successors suffer for our pleasure, or to give them a better chance.