Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

actionjackson posted:

Any suggestions for indoor plants that are super easy to take care of? I have two sansevierias and a zanzibar. they don't require any direct sunlight and only need to be watered once a month, which is why they are still alive!

Golden pothos will live basically indefinitely in a water-filled vase, and it doesn't require much sunlight either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Kangaroo vine is a great suggestion I'll look into (would appreciate any online recs if you have any!) I'm still dreaming of kudzu but I think inviting it in its likely to get some department of something very mad at me, even if it stays inside.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Hirayuki posted:

I wish I could give you ours. We had a professional landscaper put together our front planting and planted mountain laurel as suggested. It did gently caress-all. Eventually I come to find out they do terribly in clay-y soil and a lot of shade, both of which we have in that spot, and which the landscaper would have known. We relocated it to the backyard, where it continues to do gently caress-all. I'm honestly not even sure where it is, and our yard's not that big.

edit: Also, look into zelkovas for good-looking, fast-growing, low-maintenance trees.

I'd def take it lol. I've dug up so many low performers in other peoples yards and stolen them away to "plant rehab" to recover and then later put in the ground. Cool suggestion on the zelkova by the way, I was not familiar with this tree. Seems very tough. Might be something that I end up looking to get for the very front up by the street, where I have sent many many plants to die an intensely sunny death

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Native azaleas can be finicky and difficult to grow, as well as slow growing, but they are definitely worth the effort in spring.

Here's a native deciduous azalea I've managed to get going pretty well this year in our newest area. The cultivar is "My Mary." This thread is making me realize I suck rear end at taking pictures and probably need to upgrade my phone lol. Despite my ineptitude at photography, you can still see the peachy yellow color of the flowers contrasted with the orange/red stems which I'm very into, especially that they come out in this big hydrangea-esque puff ball. Also yes I know I need to mow

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

It was fine yesterday, but I woke up today to some seriously wilted basil. I haven't changed any of my care for it, so I'm not sure what went wrong. Can this plant be salvaged?

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'd put alot more dirt in that container to begin with.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

actionjackson posted:

Any suggestions for indoor plants that are super easy to take care of? I have two sansevierias and a zanzibar. they don't require any direct sunlight and only need to be watered once a month, which is why they are still alive!

My mangave has been nigh indestructible. It requires even less watering than the snake plants

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I've never managed to keep basil alive. I swear it would live longer if I just chopped it down and put it in the fridge.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Fitzy Fitz posted:

That tree looks like poo poo! Did all of those branches have leaves on them last year?
Yes. Nothing on it is dead. I’ve lived here less than a year, but this tree was full of leaves last year. It’s just now starting to bud this year. I’m guessing the weight of the leaves and lack of pruning is why it’s grown this way, especially that wacky stuff on the right side.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

ReapersTouch posted:

I'd put alot more dirt in that container to begin with.

Also it looks like it just needs a good watering.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Dirt, more water, but also I'd pick some of those extra large leaves

Nettle Soup posted:

I've never managed to keep basil alive. I swear it would live longer if I just chopped it down and put it in the fridge.

What?!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Well, I only had about a cup more soil, but I added that to the top and bottom, and watered the poo poo out of it.

Unsure what's meant by removing the big leaves - the ones halfway up the stalk? Won't that leave it too tall with nothing at the bottom? I was waiting for them to be at a point where they'd be good to prune so they grow out thicker

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

If you want it bushier, pinch off the tips where the little leaves are on top. That will make it grow more side branches. It's probably so leggy because it was trying to get up out of the bottom of that pot and get some light.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I have a poinsettia from Xmas I'm trying to keep for next year. It was doing great next to the palm tree on just window light, putting on some new growth even, but yesterday it just wilted out of nowhere. It's been getting regular watering and it's been fine for the past few months on that schedule. I got it under the seed lights and gave it a light watering and it's bounced back, but now it's got some yellowing leaves. I picked them off. What's going on? Is not the time to cut back and repot?

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 24, 2020

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Dirt, more water, but also I'd pick some of those extra large leaves

What?!

I don't know what I do to it! It's probably because I buy lovely supermarket plants.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Do you separate them out? At least the basils I get from the supermarket are 50 little plants packed into terrible soil

If you space them out and transplant them proper soil/light/water, they should be really easy

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Nettle Soup posted:

I don't know what I do to it! It's probably because I buy lovely supermarket plants.

Anytime I see plants at the grocery store I feel like I’m at the pound surrounded by poor animals who just need a good home to thrive.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I have a giant dead tree I need to replace with something else! I'm in 7b, and it's going in the low point in the yard right by a giant city storm drain. So something that loves water, doesn't need a lot of attention, and wont tunnel it's roots into the foundation of the house 15ft away? I know willows and birch trees are kind of the usual, but I was hoping for some pretty colors in spring and/or fall.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I found this: https://www.expresssewer.com/blog/which-trees-cause-the-most-pipe-damage

My personal experience has been that all roots seek water, and will eventually be problematic given enough time and the right location.

Edit: Get a magnolia. Everyone will be jealous come springtime.

Bi-la kaifa fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 24, 2020

Waffle Grid
Apr 22, 2009

You think someone would do that, go on the internet and lie?
:smithfrog:

Suspect Bucket posted:

I have a poinsettia from Xmas I'm trying to keep for next year. It was doing great next to the palm tree on just window light, putting on some new growth even, but yesterday it just wilted out of nowhere. It's been getting regular watering and it's been fine for the past few months on that schedule. I got it under the seed lights and gave it a light watering and it's bounced back, but now it's got some yellowing leaves. I picked them off. What's going on? Is not the time to cut back and repot?

If watering it resulted in it bouncing back then it sounds like it definitely needed the water and maybe should be watered more frequently? I'm saying this as someone that seems to chronically over water plants though, so yeah. But also, now that the days are getting longer and warmer, maybe it's just getting too much sun and/or heat in the area that it's in?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

there wolf posted:

I have a giant dead tree I need to replace with something else! I'm in 7b, and it's going in the low point in the yard right by a giant city storm drain. So something that loves water, doesn't need a lot of attention, and wont tunnel it's roots into the foundation of the house 15ft away? I know willows and birch trees are kind of the usual, but I was hoping for some pretty colors in spring and/or fall.
Baldcypress is a good tree. Reasonably fast growing, gorgeous copper foliage in the fall, doesn’t mind being wet, and it’s a deciduous conifer which is kind of neat.

I like sycamores and they are fairly fast growing and have neat bark, but that article thinks they’re invasive? It’s also written by a company in CA where trees are probably thirstier-if it’s already a wet area I’m not sure they’de be looking for more water. Some of the Dutch Elm Disease resistant elms are really nice too. They don’t mind things a little wet and grow fast and have a nice shape.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Anyone know what this is

growing among my pilewort and hazelwort?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

My Calathea has lost like 3-4 leaves in the past month or so, and now another one is going. There's some new growth coming in, which is good, but I want to see if there's something I'm doing that's hurting it. I water it about once every two weeks, have a humidifier, keep it out of the sun (about 4-5 feet away from a sheer curtain'ed window), so I don't know what else is going on. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Any apple tree people who can tell me of this thing is dead or not? Deer broke down my protection last fall and did a number on it.

The bottom part looks really bad, but the two upper parts look like they have some buds that feel kind of soft but if they're growing it's really slowly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The hoofed rats killed it. That’s my verdict. None of the branches look good and the damage to the trunk is severe.

You can do a scratch test to be sure. Maybe maybe maybe the very bottom of the trunk still has life in it, but you’ve got to hope it’s above the graft union.

Keelbone
Sep 3, 2011

beyond the sunset leads my way

Can anyone help me with some plant IDs/advice? When I moved in this place last year this plant was in the kitchen - I guess the previous tenant left it behind. It looks kinda awful so I assumed it was dying but it actually flowered recently. There looks like damage/weird growths at the base of the stem though? Is there anything I can/should be doing? I don't think it's getting enough light on that windowsil (north-west) but the windowsil on the other side of the building is full of succulents now so I don't really have any where to move it.

These are on the south-east windowsil. My local shop sells them but the labels all said just 'succulent' or 'foliage', does anyone know what they are? Plant B there was the first one I got & originally went on the windowsil in the kitchen with the other plant, then got kinda leggy which is what made me realise there wasn't enough light. I'm watering them every other week at the moment. The G ones look like small versions of the mystery plant too.

Cactus flower :3:

I'm guessing these are buds too

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Keelbone posted:

ID requests...

Your mystery plant is a Kalanchoe (pronounced Ka-lan-ko-ee) of some sort. They're succulents from Africa. Those weird little growth around the base of the stem are roots. They're not causing it any trouble, but if you don't like the look you can remove them.

As for your other plants...

A. Echeveria.
B. Echeveria.
C. Mammillaria (a genus of cactus)
D. Tulista (once upon a time this would have been a Haworthia, but they got reclassified recently)
E. Echeveria.
F. Hard to tell, I'd need to see a closer shot. Either an Agave or an Aloe.
G. Kalanchoe.
H. Not 100% sure but I'm inclined to think it's a Senecio.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

there wolf posted:

Have you considered a sweetbay magnolia? They're not supposed to get super huge in the north, and they have great flowers and foliage.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I'm pretty sure you're right that H is a Senecio. Looks like S. barbertonicus, which is fairly commonly seen in assorted Senecio trays in plant stores.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Keelbone posted:

I'm guessing these are buds too

Those are flowers, yeah. They will also produce pups on stalks that initially look very similar but they tend not to get nearly as long. Trying to ID specific Echeverias is kind of a crapshoot because of all of the hybrids and cultivars and poo poo but given the shot of the flowers this looks like a dead ringer for Echeveria purpusorum.

elgarbo posted:

Your mystery plant is a Kalanchoe (pronounced Ka-lan-ko-ee) of some sort.
I have heard a number of people pronounce this as kuh-lan-cho which kind of weirds me out but supposedly it's also "correct".

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 26, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wallet posted:

I have heard a number of people pronounce this as kuh-lan-cho which kind of weirds me out but supposedly it's also "correct".

Apparently it’s a bad transliteration from Chinese, and the “weird” way is arguably closer to at least one Chinese dialect.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Am I doing anything stupid by using granular fertilizer for pots? I'm used to liquid, but have some hard stuff I want to use up. Was thinking to just sprinkle the proper amount on the surface and water it in over a month.

I'm converting diameter to get the proper dosage. Do I need to worry about pot depth?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Nah that’s fine.

If anything, going by the volume per area prescription is conservative for pots.

Sometimes I’ll get a plant that’s been in the nursery a while and it’s swimming in fertiliser pellets.

Keelbone
Sep 3, 2011

beyond the sunset leads my way

Thanks for the IDs guys!

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Hi gardening goons! We recently bought a house and I am trying to identify some of the denizens of our backyard. This dude has been confounding me.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Maybe some sort of variegated lily. What zone are you in? Look something like my parent's backyard cannas in SC. Canna Pretoria?

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 27, 2020

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I’m guessing a hosta of some kind myself, but that’s just a guess.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Looks like some kind of hosta to me, as well.

This isn't a very sexy sight, but it might grow into one.

A few of us neighbours want to fix up that asphalted and dead corner of the courtyard, and the boxes mark the beginning of the process. My back is groaning in anticipation, but it's gonna be worth it.

It's a pretty dark spot that only receives indirect lighting, but I hope it'll be enough for Alpine clematis to cover the soon-to-be painted black fence. We'll see what else we can throw in there!

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Platystemon posted:

Nah that’s fine.

If anything, going by the volume per area prescription is conservative for pots.

Sometimes I’ll get a plant that’s been in the nursery a while and it’s swimming in fertiliser pellets.

Sweet, thanks. Conservative because a lot of it will run out the bottom, I imagine? I can cheat up a bit in the calculation...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nosre posted:

Sweet, thanks. Conservative because a lot of it will run out the bottom, I imagine? I can cheat up a bit in the calculation...

Yeah salt buildup is relatively less of a concern in pots.

Potted plants also tend to have a lot of foliage going on per unit area/volume of soil, and that’s ultimately what directs the amount of fertiliser that should be used.

That said, too much fertiliser will kill plants a lot faster than too little, so it’s good to err on the side of underapplication.

You could choose to go for the minimum dose with granules and use liquid fertiliser to give just the extra boost you think the plant will appreciate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I have a moderate collection of succulents in my living room that could use a little more light in the perpetual overcast soup that we have been living in here. I'm considering swapping the bulbs in my lamps to those full spectrum LEDs they sell for people with SAD and putting them on timers. I looked at bulbs actually designed as grow lights but all of them I can find that are 5000-5500k seem to be directional (meant to be hung upside down above your plants) which would just illuminate my ceiling. This should theoretically work, right? I'm not sure if 800 lumen bulbs 6-36 inches from the plants is going to be enough to make much of a difference and I don't have much experience with grow lights.

coronatae posted:

Hi gardening goons! We recently bought a house and I am trying to identify some of the denizens of our backyard. This dude has been confounding me.

It does look like it could be one of many varieties of streaked hosta but it could be something else entirely. The condition its growing in (sun/shade/etc) and what zone might let you narrow it down.