Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

As long as you still have one HP left after landing, falls aren't a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Or if there's flowers on the ground

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

guts and bolts posted:

while also he uses the same sword to cut apart Gipsy Danger from Pacific Rim outside of Reactor 5
airbuster isn't Gipsy Danger but is literally just a steampunkier version of the Zeong from mobile suit gundam, complete with detaching individually-controlled rocket-powered hands that shoot lasers out the fingertips

al-azad posted:

So something I never thought about in the original because you don’t really see the big picture of the world, everyone in sector 7 topside is dead right? The slums mostly evacuated but Jessie’s mom is dead.

Idk I just finished chapter 12 and the scope of the game makes the Turks totally irredeemable and makes Aerith’s assumption about Rude really dumb.
Yeah I dunno how they managed to pull the turks as lovable antiheroes in the original when they're just following orders genocidal monsters, every last one. Well, not elena, I don't think, but reno/rude/tseng all deserve the gallows as soon as possible. Least tseng gets got sooner rather than later

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

There's a whole Werner Herzog documentary about a teenage girl who survived falling out a passenger plane that got hit by lightning and then spent 10 days in the jungle before getting rescued so I'm willing to suspend disbelief when it comes to the literal supersoldier infused with the cells of something that fell out of space, got stuck in a sedimentary layer for thousands of years, and emerged not much worse for wear.

edit: On the discussion of Cloud's relative power levels, I thought it was interesting that Reno rank checks him and then just laughs in his face when he says First Class, like it's just painfully obvious that Cloud isn't on that level. Even Roche is only a third class and is obviously pretty skilled, but it's kinda hard to situate Cloud between that and Sephiroth, who gets portrayed as pretty much a god even when he's just a "regular" soldier. Then there's random First Class guys you fight in the original game that are complete chumps. Sephiroth and Zack are the only explicitly named First Class guys we see iirc, and I never had a chance to play Crisis Core so I have no idea how strong Zack is meant to be.

It's kind of a weird inconsistency because it would actually make narrative sense if Cloud is obviously lying about his rank to everyone who is in the know, but we never actually get a consistent sense of what "First Class" is even supposed to signify beyond "pretty strong".

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Apr 26, 2020

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah I dunno how they managed to pull the turks as lovable antiheroes in the original when they're just following orders genocidal monsters, every last one. Well, not elena, I don't think, but reno/rude/tseng all deserve the gallows as soon as possible. Least tseng gets got sooner rather than later

It doesn't help that the Turks get turned into semi-comic relief as soon as you get out of Midgar.

Elena's intro has her blab about how they're hunting Sephiroth, you find Rude getting drunk at Junon, you overhear Rude talking about how he has a crush on Tifa at Gongaga, and they all get tied into Yuffie's sideplot at Wutai while they're on vacation.

I think the only serious moments they have are running into Reno and Rude at the Gelnika, running into Rude at Rocket Town, and the final confrontation during the Midgar raid.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

MoaM posted:

There are some sound effects that make it seem like this is the case, I can't cite the cutscene atm though.

My headcanon states that it has a hook or a loop like Guts' swords in Berserk and it is just never animated :v:

As for the Second Elemental Materia bullshit, I wasted basically all of today loving around until I got it. Turns out that I . . . guess I just somehow (!?!?!?!) missed in on the first playthrough? When I Chapter Selected into 14, I could see that all the previous-chapter sidequests were marked as "Cleared"; when I Chapter Selected into 15, I could see that ALL side-quests (using the R2 button from the map) showed as "Cleared". So, I re-loaded into Chapter 14, did all the side-quests, did the Main Story Quest, and . . . there it was. gently caress.

Having Cloud be 100% immune to Lightning Damage on Guard Scorpion (Hard) was definitely a treat :allears:

I can only imagine that absorbing that sort of damage later on will just be completely bonkers.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Then there's random First Class guys you fight in the original game that are complete chumps. Sephiroth and Zack are the only explicitly named First Class guys we see iirc, and I never had a chance to play Crisis Core so I have no idea how strong Zack is meant to be.

It's kind of a weird inconsistency because it would actually make narrative sense if Cloud is obviously lying about his rank to everyone who is in the know, but we never actually get a consistent sense of what "First Class" is even supposed to signify beyond "pretty strong".
Zack has a magic slot machine in his head and fights pretty much the entire Shinra army. He 1v1'd Gackt and sort of tied Sephiroth before Sephiroth became a space worm god. He's pretty strong, but I don't think he has like special super powers. Other than the magic slot machine.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

There's a whole Werner Herzog documentary about a teenage girl who survived falling out a passenger plane that got hit by lightning and then spent 10 days in the jungle before getting rescued so I'm willing to suspend disbelief when it comes to the literal supersoldier infused with the cells of something that fell out of space, got stuck in a sedimentary layer for thousands of years, and emerged not much worse for wear.

edit: On the discussion of Cloud's relative power levels, I thought it was interesting that Reno rank checks him and then just laughs in his face when he says First Class, like it's just painfully obvious that Cloud isn't on that level. Even Roche is only a third class and is obviously pretty skilled, but it's kinda hard to situate Cloud between that and Sephiroth, who gets portrayed as pretty much a god even when he's just a "regular" soldier. Then there's random First Class guys you fight in the original game that are complete chumps. Sephiroth and Zack are the only explicitly named First Class guys we see iirc, and I never had a chance to play Crisis Core so I have no idea how strong Zack is meant to be.

I feel like Reno said a bit more than that there. First he laughed his rear end off, then when Cloud was talking to himself/Aerith, Reno said "Oh, yeah, I guess you're brain-addled enough to maybe be telling the truth after all, I dunno". Which, I found to be a DELIGHTFUL bit of shade thrown at the entire SOLDIER program.

I do feel like almost all the First-Class Soldiers were more or less known on a by-name basis to the military, and to some extent the populace as a whole; they were the big heroes of the Wutai Conflict, after all.

As for Cloud not being on that level, to me it's pretty obvious that, on paper, he definitely is not - he never got the diploma, as it were. Yet, against all odds, he (with the help of his friends of course) meets and eventually even exceeds that level. In a way, Cloud was a SOLDIER First Class until someone could prove to him that he wasn't . . . and, in true Anime fashion, nobody is able to do so and eventually everyone kinda has to admit to themselves that he was, essentially, what he said he was all along.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I’m sorry if someone already asked this, but I’m afraid to read too deeply into game discussion. My question:

I very much want to play this, but I’m waiting for the PS5 to purchase. (Buying a new PS4 doesn’t make sense to me this late in the game). Would replaying the original now make me enjoy this more or less when I get around to it in 6 months?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Yeah, I just assumed Reno knows all the 1st Class soldiers because they're all crazy strong. But then in the original one, when you do meet them, they're pretty faceless and not a huge threat by that stage. Of course that's before you go to fight King Soldier in his cave, so maybe that's not a fair comparison.

I wonder how much of their extra powered reputation comes from Sephiroth?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I know it probably would have killed the tone of the game, but it would have been funny to me if, instead of just killing Barret, Sephiroth just kept killing all of Cloud's friends over and over again while the continuity ghosts kept reviving them. Just stab Aerith in the back 5 or 6 times, shove Tifa down those Shinra stairs, run Red over with a truck, etc. All just to gently caress with Cloud.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Square obviously doesn’t want you to dwell on it for too long but the Turks are the most successfully villainous of Final Fantasy enemies. Kefka is #1, dude poisoned a whole castle and blew up the world, and I don’t count Sin because it’s kind of a mindless force of nature but most FF villains threaten destruction and are stopped. Guy from FF15 unleashed like 10 years of darkness but everyone in the world seemed to adapt really quick.

ghostwritingduck posted:

I’m sorry if someone already asked this, but I’m afraid to read too deeply into game discussion. My question:

I very much want to play this, but I’m waiting for the PS5 to purchase. (Buying a new PS4 doesn’t make sense to me this late in the game). Would replaying the original now make me enjoy this more or less when I get around to it in 6 months?

Hard to say, it’s very much it’s own thing even though it’s filled with callbacks and Easter eggs. But I’d recommend FF7 to anyone on the grounds it’s a good game especially if you’re doing one of the re-releases that has quality of life cheats so yeah replay the original.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 26, 2020

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Zarin posted:

I do feel like almost all the First-Class Soldiers were more or less known on a by-name basis to the military, and to some extent the populace as a whole; they were the big heroes of the Wutai Conflict, after all.

And especially to the Turks themselves, because one of their primary jobs is scouting Soldier candidates."

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The remake does a good job of not just throwing the whole SOLIDER thing out the window like the first game since it only throws 3rd class soldier enemies at you. So there's room in the next few games for stronger versions to escalate as you get higher level.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
About Tifa being really avoidant about all the fucky things going on, I had a thought about her nervous behavior around Cloud, but is she afraid that Cloud would have a similar violent episode to Sephiroth's if he gets too upset?

I've been thinking about how Cloud would look from her perspective, and really just think about it. She hasn't seen him ever since he joined Shinra (that she knows of) and then he comes to Midgar a bit before the game and he's...different. He's acting like a completely different person and insisting that he WAS a first class SOLDIER, but he quit and he's a merc now. I don't think she thinks that he's lying since he's clearly Mako enhanced. What would be weird to her is that he didn't contact her at all about this and is telling her this now, after he quit. It's beyond bizarre for Cloud to not at least write a letter to her about achieving a childhood dream. But still, Cloud's back! She wants him to take a job with AVALANCHE since, you know, she hasn't seen him in years. He can earn money, they can hang out at her bar. Things might be looking up!

Then Cloud starts acting weirder. Having flashbacks, headaches/shaking fits. 7R adds full blown hallucinations. Cloud almost actually killed a defenseless neighbor! If the flashbacks and weird episodes were happening before the game even started, what is that going to look like to Tifa? Is she just assuming that this happens when you get injected with Mako? Cloud even has worse signs that something's wrong than Sephiroth did. To her, there was no lead up to Sephiroth getting really upset and then murdering everyone. He got upset, isolated himself for days, then boom. What the gently caress is she supposed to think when Cloud is more obviously not okay? Every time she asks if Cloud is okay after another fit, if he insists he's fine, she doesn't push it because what would happen if she does? She's also notorious for not being totally upfront about her feelings either, and she could just be shy or nervous about her feelings, but I get the feeling that she also assumes she has to treat Cloud with kid gloves or keep an eye on him all the time. That implication might have always been there in this original but they might me making that more obvious here.

I can't wait for when they get to Kalm and Cloud tells his story and Tifa's just sitting there like

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Dreylad posted:

The remake does a good job of not just throwing the whole SOLIDER thing out the window like the first game since it only throws 3rd class soldier enemies at you. So there's room in the next few games for stronger versions to escalate as you get higher level.

It's better than that, they are grade 3C. In a lot of corporations the pay structure is 3C, 3B, 3A, 2, 1. 3C tends to be just the initial introductory period where you get used to paperwork, initial training, etc. So these guys are practically on their first days on the job. Poor bastards.

(ps. if you are a 3C irl and have been for more than a year, it's time to speak to your boss or move on)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

All combat in the subsequent remake chapters will be replaced with screens of Cloud & Co. reading over entry-level Shinra employee resumes and giving best practice feedback.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

BaDandy posted:

About Tifa being really avoidant about all the fucky things going on, I had a thought about her nervous behavior around Cloud, but is she afraid that Cloud would have a similar violent episode to Sephiroth's if he gets too upset?

I've been thinking about how Cloud would look from her perspective, and really just think about it. She hasn't seen him ever since he joined Shinra (that she knows of) and then he comes to Midgar a bit before the game and he's...different. He's acting like a completely different person and insisting that he WAS a first class SOLDIER, but he quit and he's a merc now. I don't think she thinks that he's lying since he's clearly Mako enhanced. What would be weird to her is that he didn't contact her at all about this and is telling her this now, after he quit. It's beyond bizarre for Cloud to not at least write a letter to her about achieving a childhood dream. But still, Cloud's back! She wants him to take a job with AVALANCHE since, you know, she hasn't seen him in years. He can earn money, they can hang out at her bar. Things might be looking up!

Then Cloud starts acting weirder. Having flashbacks, headaches/shaking fits. 7R adds full blown hallucinations. Cloud almost actually killed a defenseless neighbor! If the flashbacks and weird episodes were happening before the game even started, what is that going to look like to Tifa? Is she just assuming that this happens when you get injected with Mako? Cloud even has worse signs that something's wrong than Sephiroth did. To her, there was no lead up to Sephiroth getting really upset and then murdering everyone. He got upset, isolated himself for days, then boom. What the gently caress is she supposed to think when Cloud is more obviously not okay? Every time she asks if Cloud is okay after another fit, if he insists he's fine, she doesn't push it because what would happen if she does? She's also notorious for not being totally upfront about her feelings either, and she could just be shy or nervous about her feelings, but I get the feeling that she also assumes she has to treat Cloud with kid gloves or keep an eye on him all the time. That implication might have always been there in this original but they might me making that more obvious here.

I can't wait for when they get to Kalm and Cloud tells his story and Tifa's just sitting there like

Remember the big issue Tifa's dealing with is knowing she can't trust her own memories. Yes, she doesn't remember Cloud being there 5 years ago... So... How the gently caress does he know events he wasn't present for? Yes, his recollection of events conflicts with hers, but from her perspective, he shouldn't even know the first thing about that! So is SHE the crazy one?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Dreylad posted:

Also the third class soldier you do see is much stronger than the other guys you're fighting around that point, even if he's not actually much better than, say, Reno. It's a really good set piece for how strong Cloud is, in fact.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

In the original game all the characters were bad about speaking their feelings. Aerith knew it was bullshit, Tifa knew it was bullshit. Neither one said a thing to Cloud. It’s mostly just to set up the reveal of zack late in the original game. It sounds like Zack was a late edition to the original which is why it’s out of the way and doesn’t get much explanation until the spinoff stuff.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I hope the big reveal is that true surviving 1st class soldiers are all Old Snake because they’ve lived the longest and now their bodies are breaking down. Cloud saying he’s first class isn’t surprising to Reno because it’s absurd, it’s that all the 1st class soldiers should be dead or dying.

BaDandy posted:

Cloud didn’t hesitate to execute Johnny on the spot which was tonally a really weird scene tbh.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

al-azad posted:

I hope the big reveal is that true surviving 1st class soldiers are all Old Snake because they’ve lived the longest and now their bodies are breaking down. Cloud saying he’s first class isn’t surprising to Reno because it’s absurd, it’s that all the 1st class soldiers should be dead or dying.

In the original, you can fight 1st class Soldiers in random encounters in Junon, they defend the airstrip. My guess is that Reno simply doesn't recognize Cloud and probably wonders what the gently caress a 1st class soldier is doing with Aerith without his say-so

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

In the original, you can fight 1st class Soldiers in random encounters in Junon, they defend the airstrip. My guess is that Reno simply doesn't recognize Cloud and probably wonders what the gently caress a 1st class soldier is doing with Aerith without his say-so

Right but in the original SOLDIER just feels like a military rank and that the Turks are above them but here it’s like a captain America super soldier program.

Really I’m just interested if they go anywhere with the cellular degeneration thing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

al-azad posted:

Right but in the original SOLDIER just feels like a military rank and that the Turks are above them but here it’s like a captain America super soldier program.

Really I’m just interested if they go anywhere with the cellular degeneration thing.

SOLDIERs were more generic in the original but the Turks were always a weird CIA-esque side group to the rest of Shinra's combat hierarchy

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
SOLDIER was always a super soldier program though? And the Turks are clearly outside of ordinary military hierarchy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Or if there's flowers on the ground

Make an Assassin's Creed game set in the FF7 world and replace all the hay piles with normal-looking flower beds

al-azad posted:

SOLDIER was always a super-soldier program. SOLDIERs in the original were infused with mako and injected with Jenova cells. The original, like the remake, regularly had people recognize that Cloud was (or appeared to be) a SOLDIER by the mako glow in his eyes.

The cellular degeneration thing started in Crisis Core but I think there it only applied to a specific kind of SOLDIER where they tried to replicate their success with Sephiroth, leading to two other dudes whose hair started turning white and who grew a single wing. (It was dumb and one of them was Gackt's anime OC.) In the remake, they're presenting it more like Solid Snake-style accelerated aging or something (though I suppose it could also be the Crisis Core style but this time it applies to every kind of SOLDIER), but who knows if that applies to Cloud given that he isn't really a SOLDIER and what he went through was different.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 26, 2020

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

You know, given how all SOLDIERS had Jenova cells in them, I'm surprised we never got a situation where Sephiroth/Jenova just took control of all of them.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
see i thought that your rank and file SOLDIERs just had the mako treatment, and the jenova-cell infusion was something hojo had reserved for cloud and zack when he got bored on a rainy afternoon (after the population of nibelheim initially proved the treatment to be unfruitful)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
hojo: "feelin cute today might sin against nature <3"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rhonne posted:

You know, given how all SOLDIERS had Jenova cells in them, I'm surprised we never got a situation where Sephiroth/Jenova just took control of all of them.

What do you think all those monsters you fight are? :ohdear:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

/
/

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Even if they only had the mako treatment, it's still a super-soldier program. The Jenova cell thing is revealed later in the game btw.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Oxxidation posted:

hojo: *takes a selfie with a catatonic Cloud while injecting him with horrible little alien cells*

Onmi posted:

Remember the big issue Tifa's dealing with is knowing she can't trust her own memories. Yes, she doesn't remember Cloud being there 5 years ago... So... How the gently caress does he know events he wasn't present for? Yes, his recollection of events conflicts with hers, but from her perspective, he shouldn't even know the first thing about that! So is SHE the crazy one?

Yeah, that's another part of it. I agree with the animator dude who made that analysis video that watching her facial expression during that scene (assuming it even happens) is going to be insane. This whole time Tifa just doesn't know what to do about any of this. Like constantly feeling like a deer in the headlights.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 26, 2020

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

BaDandy posted:

hojo: *takes a selfie with a catatonic Cloud while injecting him with horrible little alien cells*

It's only science if it's properly recorded.

Plus the cam tips are insaaaaaaaaane.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

That just made me think: Advent Children must be an alternate timeline because Cloud only has a flip phone in that move, while everyone in FF7R has smartphones.

Or Cloud just got a lovely prepaid phone.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Harrow posted:

The cellular degeneration thing started in Crisis Core but I think there it only applied to a specific kind of SOLDIER where they tried to replicate their success with Sephiroth, leading to two other dudes whose hair started turning white and who grew a single wing. (It was dumb and one of them was Gackt's anime OC.) In the remake, they're presenting it more like Solid Snake-style accelerated aging or something (though I suppose it could also be the Crisis Core style but this time it applies to every kind of SOLDIER), but who knows if that applies to Cloud given that he isn't really a SOLDIER and what he went through was different.

Where did the three Sephiroth wannabes in AC come from?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

They aren't Sephiroth wannabes. They're what's left of him in the Lifestream, each on represented an aspect of Sephiroth. Kadaz was his Jenova obsession, Loz was his strength, and Yazoo was his coldness.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
https://twitter.com/SuperButterBuns/status/1254435512133332998

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Where did the three Sephiroth wannabes in AC come from?

Yeah like Agents are GO! said, they're parts of Sephiroth's lingering consciousness/will in the Lifestream.

There's some strong evidence that the Whisper Trio you fight during the Harbinger fight (Rubrum, Iridi, Croceo I think) are at least inspired by those three from AC. They have the same fighting styles and (according to some Ultimania lore) the same elemental affinities. They even use similar moves to the ones they use in AC, and also summon Bahamut just like they do in AC. Whether that officially means something or not is up in the air. Could mean Sephiroth's will was already infecting the Whispers, since he's plugged into the Lifestream and that's where the Whispers came from, or it could just be an Easter egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BaDandy posted:

Wonder if one way we're going to differentiate ourselves from the old timeline is Tifa finally working up the nerve to go "Okay what the ever loving gently caress Cloud?"