Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
tbh the thing that drove me the most bonkers about Warcraft going back to 2005 was that you were expected to race through all the leveling stuff and then grind on endgame for months until the next content dump, at which point you'd repeat. I don't love endgame. I know people do, and I'm not making GBS threads on them; but I like just exploring and playing story and having a chill time in a game. Pressure to hit cap and do the same thing over and over for incremental gear increases makes me bored and cranky. Playing a game with so much DLC and zones and story where it's been almost 4 years at this point and I still feel 0 pressure to go in on endgame, that's my platonic ideal of an mmo.

atomicgeek fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
Also punching Molag Bal in the face after all that buildup was frankly pretty hilarious. I AM THE GOD OF--WHAT THE poo poo

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

esos kind of nice cause the gear level cap hasnt really changed in half a decade so there's kind of less of that classic WoW put a raid on farm progression raiding treadmill where everyone needs to farm the same new raid for six months to gear up for the next raid, etc

that said the gear meta changes up very frequently, even if the sets that are still just "good" are still roughly the same sets for a long time

pretty sure if gear ever got increased past CP160 it'd kill the game though

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

atomicgeek posted:

Scy and the grumpsquad can angerpost, and I'm not faulting them, I know they have things they like to do that are stupid right now and justify them uninstalling...... but as a regular-rear end chump with some level 50s I'm running through stuff using Alcast's solo builds (sidenote, when did they start doing that?! the solo builds are fantastic!).......

They really are. I went from “meh I think my build is good and I can usually solo stuff meant for groups” to “I AM BECOME DEATH” on my Sorc by getting closer to their build.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

alcast always had solo builds but they were usually buried deep in the trial build guides as VMA builds, its good to see they have their own section now

even if you're pubbing vet stuff you probably would rather want to use the solo stuff cause the regular guides are usually min/maxed out assuming you're getting full support/buffs from a crack team, while the solo stuff gets you a lot more survivability and self utility

there is apparently a new stam food from one of the events over the winter that lets you get a ton of stam to the point you can drop stam attribute points for health to make up for things, that is pretty new for sure

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

atomicgeek posted:

Playing a game with so much DLC and zones and story where it's been almost 4 years at this point and I still feel 0 pressure to go in on endgame, that's my platonic ideal of an mmo.

Same! Really reminds me of DAOC before ToA came in and turned a laidback, RvR/PvP focused game into a poopsockfest.

Zuryn
Dec 13, 2003
El Conquistador
Hallo thar! Could use invite to Deconstruct guild, @ZurynK. If possible, wifey will probably spend more time crafting than I do, @WhiteThorne.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
The sad thing is, we as a guild got really close to having a decent end-game group going - and then there were 'arguments' etc (half of which I still don't know anything about so won't comment on) - some people quit the guild and game, and since then we've become a very casual community group (which isn't a bad thing tbh, at least we're still alive). But I guess endgame isn't most people's aim so for them all this doesn't matter.

The game is fine if you don't mind doing the same solo quests over and over, but after your 3rd/4th character you start to become annoyed, and want to see what endgame offers - and that's where you start to see all the cracks.

Game is good as a solo or dungeoning experience with friends - but endgame is not good at all. PvP is also not great. A game like WoW will offer you a lot more endgame and PvP content. A game like FFXIV will offer you a much better combat system.

JadaX fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 26, 2020

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

JadaX posted:

The sad thing is, we as a guild got really close to having a decent end-game group going - and then there were 'arguments' etc (half of which I still don't know anything about so won't comment on) - some people quit the guild and game, and since then we've become a very casual community group (which isn't a bad thing tbh, at least we're still alive). But I guess endgame isn't most people's aim so for them all this doesn't matter.

The game is fine if you don't mind doing the same solo quests over and over, but after your 3rd/4th character you start to become annoyed, and want to see what endgame offers - and that's where you start to see all the cracks.

Game is good as a solo or dungeoning experience with friends - but endgame is not good at all. PvP is also not great. A game like WoW will offer you a lot more endgame and PvP content. A game like FFXIV will offer you a much better combat system.

The combat system was fine until Wheeler and Gilliam started loving with it, adding stuff like cast times and basically trying to slow it down so people didn't get deleted instantly by experienced veteran players. Add to that the pile of ever increasing problems with performance (performance patch :laffo:) and it just makes for a miserable experience all around.

And it doesn't help that ZOS as a studio does a piss poor job of explaining core mechanics and combat systems/nuances to the average player, which means that when the playerbase inevitably cries about the game being "too hard" ZOS takes the easy way out by dropping the ceiling further and further instead of making the effort to improve in other aspects.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Yeah, "the game is fine if you just pretend it's single-player and never interact with non-solo content whatsoever" isn't much of a compliment when talking about a (supposed) MMO.

For a game that has several playable classes and at least pretends to also have the freedom of a TES game, the lack of variety and clear class identity is what's killing it for me at the moment.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Apr 26, 2020

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s an Xbox game pass game, and one they push hard because it’s the only mmo and they know they have a trapped audience. What they want is for console players to play through the new Skyrim game and buy the expansions whenever they come out. The fact that it is also on PC is always going to be secondary.

Also the cast times work ok on a console controller.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Berke Negri posted:

esos kind of nice cause the gear level cap hasnt really changed in half a decade so there's kind of less of that classic WoW put a raid on farm progression raiding treadmill where everyone needs to farm the same new raid for six months to gear up for the next raid, etc

that said the gear meta changes up very frequently, even if the sets that are still just "good" are still roughly the same sets for a long time

pretty sure if gear ever got increased past CP160 it'd kill the game though

As a new player the CP160 thing pisses me off. Just increase the level cap or get rid of the CP160 gear thing and have all end game gear just be level 50 gear. There is no reason for there to be a "max" level and then have your character essentially still be a leveling character until CP160. The worst offender of this system is getting dumped into real pvp with lvl 1000 players still wearing trash training gear and getting one shot everywhere. It's not fun for anyone.

This wouldn't be too bad if one daily pvp battleground didn't give 50x the xp of completing a quest. Do a side quest, enjoy your 400xp! Oh hey, you completed a long story quest, traveled to multiple locations, talked to lots of npcs, and did a dungeon, take 1200xp! Now do your daily pvp for 20 minutes and enjoy 100,000xp!

I've really enjoyed a lot of the story content in the game, but I just want to start collecting gear without immediately trashing it because it's not max level and not training.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

What would people say is the busiest city (read trader guild merchants) in the base game?

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008

Scyantific posted:

The combat system was fine until Wheeler and Gilliam started loving with it, adding stuff like cast times and basically trying to slow it down so people didn't get deleted instantly by experienced veteran players. Add to that the pile of ever increasing problems with performance (performance patch :laffo:) and it just makes for a miserable experience all around.

And it doesn't help that ZOS as a studio does a piss poor job of explaining core mechanics and combat systems/nuances to the average player, which means that when the playerbase inevitably cries about the game being "too hard" ZOS takes the easy way out by dropping the ceiling further and further instead of making the effort to improve in other aspects.

Ye I agree. To be honest when Gilliam first moved to ZOS quite a few people were happy because he was one of us (sort of), and knew what a meme the combat was at the time. Unfortunately him being there hasn't really improved combat, if anything things have gotten worse for the most part.

At this point it's a game I have on Steam that I'll login till people I know keep playing. There's no need for a sub which is the ONLY reason I could play it in the future. If it had a hard-sub system like WoW I would have quit it for sure and moved onto WoW or FFXIV.

i mean I had a lot of fun with it for 2 years or so, but started to lose interest when that lovely expansion went live in 2019. Have barely been on since.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Frustrated posted:

As a new player the CP160 thing pisses me off. Just increase the level cap or get rid of the CP160 gear thing and have all end game gear just be level 50 gear. There is no reason for there to be a "max" level and then have your character essentially still be a leveling character until CP160.

my suspicion is that CP160 gear is still a thing instead of, say, just making level 50 gear max level because of some database voodoo that prevents them from just chucking out all the now-superfluous gear tiers that were more of a thing when it took you a week of grinding to just move up one VR level pre-1Tamriel. now it takes like a week to go from level 50 to CP160 and all those gear tiers really have no meaning (as much as any gear has meaning before CP160, anyways)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Doctor Zero posted:

What would people say is the busiest city (read trader guild merchants) in the base game?

I heard Mournhold without any expansions, but I prefer Vivec, albeit that's not 100% base game. Summerset and Craglorn also tend to have a fair few people hanging about, but I'm not sure if that translates into better stores.

I suppose it's not terribly scientific, but there's always a fair few listings on TTC and the like in Mournhold and Vivec.

e: One advantage of the cp160 gear is that you only have to do the cp grind once, whereas if the levels were compressed into the first 50 levels it would take much longer to level up alts. Also it's more like 2 weeks to cp160 really, one week would be pushing it.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 26, 2020

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

learnincurve posted:

It’s an Xbox game pass game, and one they push hard because it’s the only mmo and they know they have a trapped audience. What they want is for console players to play through the new Skyrim game and buy the expansions whenever they come out. The fact that it is also on PC is always going to be secondary.

Also the cast times work ok on a console controller.

There are multiple free and game pass MMOs on Xbox.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Private Speech posted:

I heard Mournhold without any expansions, but I prefer Vivec, albeit that's not 100% base game. Summerset and Craglorn also tend to have a fair few people hanging about, but I'm not sure if that translates into better stores.

I suppose it's not terribly scientific, but there's always a fair few listings on TTC and the like in Mournhold and Vivec.

Cool thanks. Forgot how crowded Mournhold was last time I was there. I am in a guild that keeps a trader in Auridon and I’m looking at a couple that keep one in Vivec. Wanted to also join one in the “base” game.

E: oh poo poo I should start the Cult of Ythrl. :haw:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

JadaX posted:

Ye I agree. To be honest when Gilliam first moved to ZOS quite a few people were happy because he was one of us (sort of), and knew what a meme the combat was at the time. Unfortunately him being there hasn't really improved combat, if anything things have gotten worse for the most part.

At this point it's a game I have on Steam that I'll login till people I know keep playing. There's no need for a sub which is the ONLY reason I could play it in the future. If it had a hard-sub system like WoW I would have quit it for sure and moved onto WoW or FFXIV.

i mean I had a lot of fun with it for 2 years or so, but started to lose interest when that lovely expansion went live in 2019. Have barely been on since.

Who would have imagine that Wrobel leaving would be the biggest monkey's paw ever. I actually miss the guy and his batshit insane balance changes, because if anything, they were at least fun to mess around with.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

jabro posted:

There are multiple free and game pass MMOs on Xbox.

Name three that will let me play as a hunter or a mage, do crafting, and won’t make me want to punch the screen in outraged feminist lesbian rage?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

eso is really gay for sure, that is one nice thing about it

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

BisonDollah posted:

Is there anything more annoying than being caught/killed by the guards just after you've spent a quest robbing some rich people blind? After dying and returning to a wayshrine not working I thought using a soul gem would have brought me back with all my lovely loot but was just a straight waste of a soul gem. KEWL.

HEY UNDERGOUND COMMUNITY ASSHOLES, build an entrence closer to the wayshrine, ya dolts. (I'm bad at this game).

That's why I bought the house in Rawlkha, you can always port to a house you own for free and it's right next to the outlaw refuge. Also, if you're doing the TG questline it won't be too long before you're drowning in counterfeit pardon edicts, bing boom no more bounty.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

count_von_count posted:

That's why I bought the house in Rawlkha, you can always port to a house you own for free and it's right next to the outlaw refuge. Also, if you're doing the TG questline it won't be too long before you're drowning in counterfeit pardon edicts, bing boom no more bounty.

This is exactly thye tip I needed, thanks. ...so how do I afford it?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

BisonDollah posted:

This is exactly thye tip I needed, thanks. ...so how do I afford it?

Really depends on what your job is, where you live, what qualifications you have, what's your family situation like and if you have a lot of regular expenses. Broadly speaking see if you can qualify for a job that pays better or failing that maybe switch employers and cut down on non-essential expenses.

:v:

or just poopsock a bunch

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

the rawlakha house is pretty manageable

its not like its a $150 dollar time limited crown store only house

my advice would be take one of the free apartments, when you can fill that up completely with poo poo you think looks good, look into inn rooms as a the next step and do the same and so on

a lot of the fancy houses, whether time limited or not, are huge open spaces and if you cant craft or buy a bunch of poo poo to fill a free apartment you're not going to get anything more out of them besides looking like you live like a drug dealer with a mansion, one couch, and maybe some wild animals standing around

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

good news is every capitol has a free apartment (the smallest unit) for each faction so you can just make a character, get the quest (they streamlined thi so its just a short conversation instead of a real quest with you going into a delve and actually doing anything) and just delete the character and boom, you have a house in each capitol

you also get a capitol apartment for free in each chapter but its only whatever your character starts in so if you're new im guessing thats elsweyr. which isnt bad! as far as space goes. i still think the best is the vivec penthouse. good news is all apartments only cost 3000 gold and as a by the by, the vivec one is in the same area as an outfit manager and short hop and a skip to all the respec shrines and a wayshrine (also the best looking of them imo)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I hate that building the Vivek apartment is in, it makes me feel dumb because I always make a wrong turn somewhere in there.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

yeah, but that's 100% the tes3 experience

ive been getting lost in vivec cantons for like 20 years now

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

looking like you live like a drug dealer with a mansion, one couch, and maybe some wild animals standing around

This is 100% how my Twin Arches house looks, and it's one of the smaller ones. Except I don't even have a couch, just a bed and a nightstand covered in various cats. :smith:

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I just have the augur sitting on the floor, talking trash. That is all.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

count_von_count posted:

I like the Golden Gryphon apartment in Alinor. Requires access to Summerset but is only 3000 gold or free if you take it from the free apartment quest. The Outlaw Refuge is just down the street, and there's a very easy to pickpocket Altmer woman feedings pigeons on the path to Irene Epinard's house. This makes for a nice little crime loop when I feel like stabbing people and looting their pockets.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Berke Negri posted:

the rawlakha house is pretty manageable

its not like its a $150 dollar time limited crown store only house

I know, I just wanted to make that joke.

But a lot of the house prices are pretty crazy anyway.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

All this talk of housing makes me wish I could buy the busted orc mansion in TES3’s Caldera.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
I've been saving up for the Rawl'kha house. Looking forward to buying it so I can start spending my money on other things instead of compulsively saving everything, but also because Snugpod annoys me with the writ boards all the way up in the tree, and there's this lady that says "Dragons! In your own homeland! What are you going to do?" every time I have to go to the wayshrine and it makes me insane

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
There's no real reason to purchase houses for travel purposes, just join some guilds and use the BeamMeUp addon that lets you travel for free to any zone as long as someone is there.

And if you want a big house that doesn't feel as massively intimidating as something like the Psijic Villa, the Lunar Champion hall in Elsweyr is free once you do enough of the story quest.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Oceanbound posted:

There's no real reason to purchase houses for travel purposes, just join some guilds and use the BeamMeUp addon that lets you travel for free to any zone as long as someone is there.

You don't even need the addon to do this, it's built into the base game.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
You can teleport to someone for free, yes, but don't you have to search manually for that person normally?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Oceanbound posted:

You can teleport to someone for free, yes, but don't you have to search manually for that person normally?

Ah yeah, scroll down a list of locations or people. I just sort by location.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The addon rules though. It’s a lmost too easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

potaties posted:

I've been saving up for the Rawl'kha house. Looking forward to buying it so I can start spending my money on other things instead of compulsively saving everything, but also because Snugpod annoys me with the writ boards all the way up in the tree, and there's this lady that says "Dragons! In your own homeland! What are you going to do?" every time I have to go to the wayshrine and it makes me insane

This one does not know. But he hopes his family is safe.

(I didn’t even have to look that up :suicide:)