Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you count the space shuttle booster as a dirigible, I guess.

I wonder how big and fast you could make a sailboat with modern materials and know how?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
yospos page

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

FairyNuff posted:

Can we bring back zeppelins and dirigibles for air travel instead?

They are (probably) less polluting and i'm pretty sure they don't explode anymore.

I'm pretty sure that helium is stupidly rare, and also a non-renewable resource. It's also apparently very expensive to mass-produce. The only reason helium is currently readily available is that the US has been selling off it's strategic reserve over the last decade or so, and is due to empty it next year.

Of course there is also Hydrogen (which gives better lift than helium). Technology can probably stop them from going Hindenberg quite as often, but the negative public perception isn't going away anytime soon.

The major problem with passenger airships would be travel time. A 6 hour transatlantic passenger jet flight would take about 4 days by airship, meaning you would need a lot more room and life support per passenger.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

FairyNuff posted:

Can we bring back zeppelins and dirigibles for air travel instead?

They are (probably) less polluting and i'm pretty sure they don't explode anymore.

Guess where we get the helium for them from?

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Natural gas, mostly.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Why don't we simply use flying airboats like in final fantasy, we already have water boats it can't be that difficult

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Yeah I learned about helium scarcity when I had to get an MRI scan last month. It's made me think very differently about party balloons and that :hai:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Soylent Yellow posted:

Of course there is also Hydrogen (which gives better lift than helium). Technology can probably stop them from going Hindenberg quite as often, but the negative public perception isn't going away anytime soon.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Clowns hoard them in their Clown caves deep underground.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I'm fine with you banning me from taking flights anymore. The flying car research sector needs a kick up the backside anyway.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

If you count the space shuttle booster as a dirigible, I guess.

I wonder how big and fast you could make a sailboat with modern materials and know how?

Simple answer - probably big enough, nowhere near fast enough.The problem isn't outright speed - the clippers had steamships easily beaten for that - but that no matter how clever we get you're still going to have days/weeks of no wind, or the wind in completely the wrong direction. What steamships, and now massive container ships bring isn't speed, it's *reliability*. You know when you order stuff that it's going to be at your door when you need it.

Of course any kind of sane worldwide environmental policy would help to address this by deglobalising supply chains as much as possible.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm fine with you banning me from taking flights anymore. The flying car research sector needs a kick up the backside anyway.

In that anyone that thinks a flying car can ever be a practical form of transport needs a good solid kick up the arse, sure.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Melissa McCarthyism posted:

Has any airship/ dirigible ever in existence had a detachable people carrying section that is aerodynamically designed to glide to safety in emergencies?

Asking cos' it sounds cool to my hayfever brain.

Thinking about Thunderbird 2

e: also my boyfriend lives in America so I'd be sad if flights were banned altogether but like, fair enough

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 26, 2020

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Josef bugman posted:

Oh dear. Would very much like to read about that if you have time!

I work at a Chinese company and have this through back channels. We were vaguely considering some opportunities there and decided not to because despite the figures, the news from the chinese business community there was that it’s rife due to deliberate misclassification. Vietnam is not the only country to be doing it, I’m sure.

minema
May 31, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

how are you defining choice? do refugees count? how about economic immigration? should you be unable to accept a big promotion if it means you've got to move to another country? how about people who need specific medical treatment unavailable where they're living?

and who's even going to enforce this rule? for obvious reasons the Home Office can't be trusted to do it

I was just saying that everyone should try to fly less, I wasn't suggesting enforcing limits. All I meant was that if you emigrate to another country you should accept you won't be able to see your family as often as you would have otherwise.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Haven't flown since 2013, no plans to either. It suits me though, a homebody.

My fiance signed us up for a local program where they deliver expired food from stores to people. Ever week we get a bag of carious groceries. I dunno if you got those but it's really handy and I recommend signing up. At first I wondered if we were really the kind of people who needed aid programs, and are we taking from the people who need them more? But I swallowed my pride and they said there was plenty to go around for everyone so far and hey free food, usually of the kind we usually don't try out. Weird cheeses, local artisan bread I'd usually not bother with, one time a big flank steak of beef.

Got some beef wienerschnitzel steaks this week for instance. Goes well with the cheapest Lidl beer.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Prison Paul finding whole new levels of Normal to One.

https://twitter.com/DavidJBradley1/status/1254404684258914307

zhar
May 3, 2019

i think we should take another look at nuclear powered planes. problems i'm sure but it would be cool as gently caress and less greenhouse gas emissions

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Paul Joseph Watson believes his spirit animal is a shoebill stork?

"The shoebill is noted for its slow movements and tendency to stay still for long periods, resulting in descriptions of the species as "statue-like". They are quite sensitive to human disturbance and may abandon their nests if flushed by humans. However, while foraging, if dense vegetation stands between it and humans, this wader can be fairly tame. The shoebill is attracted to poorly oxygenated waters where fish frequently surface to breathe."

Checks out I guess.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

This, I think, is also an extremely pertinent point. The idea of a globally interconnected world in every sense, on demand, is a dream, it's a dream that has persisted for a long time, but it is one that we are going to wake up from, one way or another.

I'm sitting here in Canada, reading the musings of someone in the UK who I've never met. We already live in a globally connected world.

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Sorry but I agree with this. Even if you couldn’t physically visit any more, you’d still have video calling, phones, letters, and I’m sure one day soon some kind of VR video chat or something. It’s not like someone’s torturing you by locking you away from your family. Being a long way away from your family and not being able to be in physical contact with them often is a tradeoff you make when you decide to, uh, move a long way away from your family.

I'm sorry, but I can't read this statement as anything other than just being blatantly anti-immigration. People should have the right to live wherever they want. "It's not like someone's torturing you by locking you away from your family" Jesus dude. Go tell your mum you're moving to Antarctica and she'll never see you again and see how she reacts.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

minema posted:

I was just saying that everyone should try to fly less, I wasn't suggesting enforcing limits. All I meant was that if you emigrate to another country you should accept you won't be able to see your family as often as you would have otherwise.

Like most things in life even if we as regular people flew less it is all completely negated by the super rich and their private fleets of planes. So probably best to focus on them first before going after the proles.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Makes you wonder what goes into Alex Jones's brainpower pills

zhar
May 3, 2019

Aphex- posted:

Like most things in life even if we as regular people flew less it is all completely negated by the super rich and their private fleets of planes. So probably best to focus on them first before going after the proles.

What's your source for this?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If we all went vegan and stopped flying then we wouldn't be able to travel to where the rich are and eat them, QED

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

The Monarch posted:

I'm sorry, but I can't read this statement as anything other than just being blatantly anti-immigration. People should have the right to live wherever they want. "It's not like someone's torturing you by locking you away from your family" Jesus dude. Go tell your mum you're moving to Antarctica and she'll never see you again and see how she reacts.

Get a grip! My mum said she wanted to move to Spain and I said ok, but I won’t be coming to visit. She decided not to move there then. Big whoop. People don’t have the right to live wherever they want AND suffer absolutely no downsides for it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

minema posted:

...you already do? like no poo poo if you're living in a different country you can't just pop round to see family whenever you feel like it

the problem is that some people ITT are suggesting hard limits on air travel to the point of "no gently caress you you can't see your family", which is not only a really lovely idea but also completely impracticable

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Aphex- posted:

Every Learjet ever built, combined, uses less fuel than 5 A380s. It's how the super-rich *get* their money that causes the problems, not how they spend it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Get a grip! My mum said she wanted to move to Spain and I said ok, but I won’t be coming to visit. She decided not to move there then. Big whoop. People don’t have the right to live wherever they want AND suffer absolutely no downsides for it.

jesus christ it's like reading the UKIP manifesto

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Would you have these same sentiments if air travel wasn't very bad for the environment?

minema
May 31, 2011

Aphex- posted:

we can always do both :shrug: and the coronavirus limiting travel for everyone is a good opportunity to normalise less flights imo

also personally I find looking at my lifestyle and making changes where I can to make more sustainable choices gives me a bit of control and improves my mental wellbeing as well

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Is this story meant to be a point in your favor? First of all there are already plenty of downsides to immigration, and not being able to regularly see family is already one.

You denied your mum a comfortable retirement because you couldn't be bothered to take a ~3 hour flight twice a year? Seriously?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm sure mum can have a comfortable retirement in the UK especially as we're working on importing the mediterranean climate.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

zhar posted:

What's your source for this?

Here's one article about it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/trave...e-a9071391.html

Per passenger mile they're worse mainly from the fact that they take less people so each person's carbon footprint on board is way higher.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Aphex- posted:

Per passenger mile they're worse mainly from the fact that they take less people so each person's carbon footprint on board is way higher.

Right but you're still talking at the very most a few thousand planes which spend most of their time sitting in a hangar having hooker blood hosed out of them - compared to the carbon footprint of even a small regional airline it's a rounding error. Like I say, concentrate on how they get their money, not what they do with it - it makes no loving difference if the Koch family all start taking the train tomorrow compared to the colossal footprint of the companies they own.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Sorry to infringe on old British people’s god given right to end up on A Place in the Sun lmao. They own more than one property already, think they’ll be alright

e: VV I did but they already live too far away to see it! Another peril of migration

Prism Mirror Lens fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 26, 2020

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Did you stamp your feet while saying that to your mum?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Right but you're still talking at the very most a few thousand planes which spend most of their time sitting in a hangar having hooker blood hosed out of them - compared to the carbon footprint of even a small regional airline it's a rounding error. Like I say, concentrate on how they get their money, not what they do with it - it makes no loving difference if the Koch family all start taking the train tomorrow compared to the colossal footprint of the companies they own.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that yes it's a class thing not a mode of transport thing.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Aphex- posted:

Personally I think air travel itself is barely worth thinking about. It's only 2.5% of our global greenhouse gas emissions.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/global-carbon-dioxide-emissions-by-sector

We could cut 60% of our CO2 emissions just by building a poo poo load of nuclear power plants and not have to change anyone's lifestyle to accomplish it, apart from maybe some higher taxes. Energy production is such an easy one to make huge gains with; it's by far the largest source of emissions, it's all done on a massive scale in a comparatively small number of sites, and it doesn't require consumers to do anything. It's also the springboard to reducing transport emissions when vehicles start switching to electric.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 26, 2020

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Did you stamp your feet while saying that to your mum?

Why is moving to Spain some sort of God given right? "You won't be seeing me as much because you are moving abroad?"

Like I understand and empathise far far more with economic migration and problems there than "I just felt like it and want it to be a bit warmer". Maybe I'll feel differently when I hit 60 and want to spend more time in the sunshine, but I can't see the attraction myself.

Also isn't nuclear power kind of difficult to do because it sometimes 1) explodes and 2) takes ages to set up to ensure that 1 doesn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Josef bugman posted:

Also isn't nuclear power kind of difficult to do because it sometimes 1) explodes and 2) takes ages to set up to ensure that 1 doesn't happen.

France alone has 58 nuclear reactors so no it can be done pretty successfully.