Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Siivola posted:

Idgi, is he playing too many notes or something

I don't know exactly what it is. It's beyond me. I feel like whenever I see him perform, that he's making fun of me. That all that stuff he's doing should be sounding like good music to my smooth brain, but I'm just too deficient to process it all. It just sounds like out of tune nonsense to me.

But when I skipped to that part where he's playing that flute piano thing it all just dawned on me that he's doing it at my expense. I'm being trolled --hard-- and falling for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I feel the same way about both Dreamtheater and Yngwie Malmsteen. I know they are both musical masters and have a lot of technical skill, but they are both above my head as well and I find them mostly boring to listen to for fun.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Same, especially yngwie. Just because something is hard to do doesn't make it good music

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

former glory posted:

A Jacob Collier video popped up tonight and I thought maybe this 5th or 6th video I watch of this guy can finally show me how to appreciate the otherwordly super musical genius at play. I skipped around after a minute, trying to sample the menu, and ended up here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPBirt1YhuM&t=920s

*existential crisis* "God loving damnit. God. gently caress. No. No."

his jacket looks like the autism puzzle symbol

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

former glory posted:

But when I skipped to that part where he's playing that flute piano thing it all just dawned on me that he's doing it at my expense. I'm being trolled --hard-- and falling for it.
That's the second-best melodica piece I've ever heard. :shrug:

It's okay to not enjoy stuff, you don't have to develop some kind of weirdly hostile inferiority complex about it. Dude's just making poo poo for fun.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Turbinosamente posted:

I feel the same way about both Dreamtheater and Yngwie Malmsteen. I know they are both musical masters and have a lot of technical skill, but they are both above my head as well and I find them mostly boring to listen to for fun.

listening to someone run through scale exercises is boring no matter how quickly they can do it

former glory posted:

A Jacob Collier video popped up tonight and I thought maybe this 5th or 6th video I watch of this guy can finally show me how to appreciate the otherwordly super musical genius at play. I skipped around after a minute, trying to sample the menu, and ended up here:

just sounds like the usual cloying overly twee white people noise npr traffics in

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 26, 2020

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Good, I'm not the only one. He's obviously an incredibly skilled musician, but I just can't get into any of his stuff. It doesn't help that I really don't like his singing voice. Something about it just doesn't work for me.

It feels like he's stretching his voice to sound like a bassy crooner but his voice naturally wants to sing in the higher registers. It sounds like he's doing an impression of what he thinks a "sexy" male voice sounds like. The aesthetic also looks like an incredibly deliberate and crafted appeal to the modern Poor Millennial with that idiotic thiftstore-hipster-cred jacket and that girl's colored leggings + immaculate makeup and purple hair.

The whole thing looks fake and try hard.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

just sounds like the usual cloying overly twee white people noise npr traffics in

This is a pretty good take also. I think the same thing pretty much every time I hear xylophones in modern music.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 28, 2020

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

It's like a guy trying to cross a stream. These guys build a huge complex concrete-and-glass masterpiece with a working watermill, several flats and three architecture awards, but somehow forgetting the actual path over the stream. Meanwhile, Angus Young puts a log across and calls it a day, and everyone appreciates a job well done.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BonHair posted:

Meanwhile, Angus Young puts a log across and calls it a day, and everyone appreciates a job well done.
And then a kid slips, is found dead a couple of days later, so everyone agrees that Angus can go gently caress himself. :twisted:

(Now if we're talking Malcolm? That's a different thing)

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wark Say posted:

And then a kid slips, is found dead a couple of days later, so everyone agrees that Angus can go gently caress himself. :twisted:

no worries, he's built hundreds of identical log bridges right next to it over the past 50 years

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Some of those bridges were pretty good but I feel like I only need one uh collection of bridges.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

chops != taste

also gently caress his bullshit twee nonsense you know that dude is a sex pest.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Some of those bridges were pretty good but I feel like I only need one uh collection of bridges.

So far as I'm aware AC/DC only made Dirty Deeds, Highway to Hell, Back in Black, the first half of The Razor's Edge, and Ballbreaker, right?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
high voltage rips anyone who says otherwise can eat poo poo

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
But which version of High Voltage?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

chops != taste

whcih guy?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wark Say posted:

But which version of High Voltage?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

former glory posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPBirt1YhuM&t=920s

*existential crisis* "God loving damnit. God. gently caress. No. No."

I was trying to figure out why this is triggering my "Something is wrong" vibe. None of them are in rhythm.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Naw it's fine in that department from the song linked. There are some drum rhythm choices that might not be typical to pop music but they are absolutely boring as hell to jazz players like these. Like most of the linked part is a plain reggae beat with a typical bass improv part but added melodica noodling that feels a tad much. Then the later section at worst drags tempo wise in a spot and the drummer does a shuffle a few times over the rest of the band doing a two/four beat thing but that's nothing unusual.

Like I will never listen to this music for fun because it feels like someone should be teaching me my ABCs while it plays but it's less fun. But these people have chops and are doing it right in so much as a jazz school would ask. That's just incredibly boring to me.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Siivola posted:

That's the second-best melodica piece I've ever heard. :shrug:

number one has to be Augustus Pablo :colbert:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

chops != taste

Do tell.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

former glory posted:

A Jacob Collier video

I don't doubt the kid's a genius and a prodigy and all that, but it's too garish for my taste. I'll ascribe this to me being a musical commoner.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Sorry, *allegedly*. In my flippant way I meant he gave me real greasy slimeball vibes.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Do you mean that someone has made allegations that Jacob Collier has, for example, harassed someone?

Or are you just calling him a sex pest because you don't like his shirt?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Siivola posted:

Do you mean that someone has made allegations that Jacob Collier has, for example, harassed someone?

:yikes:

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Obvious Rigs Of Dad fodder here:

obviously fronting his band "Landon On Water: A Tribute to Neil Young"

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

He's playing the great Plexi Reissue in the sky now, man.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the gently caress is with the hairline on the bassist

Siivola posted:

i mean it does give off a certain vibe

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 27, 2020

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
lol i just looked up this dork because i'd never heard of him before getting posted in this thread and apparently he comes from multiple generations of british music school profs and he's worked with the mit media lab which as we all know was primarily a tax shelter for jeffrey epstein so there ya go confirmed sex pest on two fronts

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

QED

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The Muppets On PCP posted:

the gently caress is with the hairline on the bassist

i mean it does give off a certain vibe

It's red foreman's side gig

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Siivola posted:

If he isn’t a sex offender, why is he wearing a sex offender shirt? :colbert:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

kjetting posted:

If he isn’t a sex offender, why is he wearing a sex offender shirt? :colbert:

It's like having a Star Trek avatar on Reddit

Edit: Regarding getting Collier's music, I think Adam Neely is the only person in the world to get a musical education and not forget in the process it's supposed to be fun. I'll watch an hour of Brushy One String before I want to hear your Giant Steps solo.

Oh and the sax player from Too Many Zoos is awesome too.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 29, 2020

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jonny Nox posted:

It's like having a Star Trek avatar on Reddit

or anywhere else on the internet

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

This might be stupid music poo poo, but still cool. $600 lathe cut albums.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/28/arts/music/electric-recording-co-vinyl.html?referringSource=articleShare

quote:

what really sets Electric Recording apart is its method — a philosophy of production more akin to the making of small-batch gourmet chocolate than most shrink-wrapped vinyl.

Its albums, assembled by hand and released in editions of 300 or fewer — at a cost of $400 to $600 for each LP — are made with restored vintage equipment down to glowing vacuum-tube amplifiers, and mono tape systems that have not been used in more than half a century. The goal is to ensure a faithful restoration of what the label’s founder, Pete Hutchison, sees as a lost golden age of record-making. Even its record jackets, printed one by one on letterpress machines, show a fanatical devotion to age-old craft.

E-

Snowy fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 30, 2020

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
audiophile poo poo is a whole other level of stupid especially if you know anything about the conditions most records they're obsessed with listening to were recorded in

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Yeah audiophile stuff is almost cheating for this thread.

Still funny though.

There are some gold quotes in here. Sorry... "mined silver" quotes. The bullshit is overflowing.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 30, 2020

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Snowy posted:

This might be stupid music poo poo, but still cool. $600 lathe cut albums.

E-

Funny thing is that all that gear was probably used to produce albums like Bob Bongo's Hammond Salsa Hits, with a bikini girl on the cover and selling for about a buck fifty back in the day.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
but you can put in your reverb listing it was cut on the lyrec t818 now used by fancylad studios in london so it's totally worth like $100 because the overtones on mr. bongo's b3 just leap out of the speakers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
But it's Bob Bongo's! It's got knowtone! :v: