Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I bought TA on a lark because I do on occasion like macro-focused, more strategic scale games where the resource collecting takes a back seat to combat management. I've been on a competitive rts viewing kick lately and watched a few pro matches on youtube and it seemed pretty good in this regard. Just a few comments. First is I'm surprised at how modern the game feels, particularly the interface. It's missing a few things (I don't think you can set rally points which is... unfortunate) but nothing that I think would cripple my enjoyment. It does feel a little slow with a few units but it probably gets hectic as poo poo once mid game rolls around. And can I say how awesome it is that a 23 year old game has surprisingly high resolutions. Second of all is the campaign kinda sucks. At the very least it sucks at actually teaching you about the game. I had to pop onto youtube to figure out what an effective build order would be for the second mission. I figured out energy collection but I had to restart by the time I realized I had to collect metal too.

Anyway, I bought this on steam and I'm curious about multiplayer. I would like to play against someone and I think my keeping it is contingent on that fact. If there is any sort of competitive or casual scene, where would I go for that sort of thing? I doubt heat.com is a thing anymore :)

I know GOG has a version for only a dollar more and it also comes with expansion packs so if it also has a baked in multiplayer I might just get it instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Milo and POTUS posted:

I bought TA on a lark because I do on occasion like macro-focused, more strategic scale games where the resource collecting takes a back seat to combat management. ...

(I don't think you can set rally points which is... unfortunate) but nothing that I think would cripple my enjoyment.

What do you mean no rally points? Let alone rally points, I distinctly remember setting up an automatic patrol route from a factory dedicated to producing cheap scouting planes and a few cheap fighters in an unending, hands-off loop.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Yeah, TA was pretty crazy about automation for the time. Been so long since I last touched it that I couldn't tell you how to set that stuff up though. :v:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

LordSloth posted:

What do you mean no rally points? Let alone rally points, I distinctly remember setting up an automatic patrol route from a factory dedicated to producing cheap scouting planes and a few cheap fighters in an unending, hands-off loop.

Yepp. A common thing is to build T1 air factories and rally them onto whatever T2 factories you have, which will give you ever accelerating output of T2 units. Or rallying onto a T2 builder so they follow that builder around, helping with whatever that builder is doing. At least I think that was doable in TA, but it might have been a TA Spring thing.

Which you should look into if you want to play TA multiplayer @Milo and Potus. I can't imagine there's much of a multiplayer community for original TA, but I know there's one for several TA derived branches on the Spring RTS engine.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The TA community plays on GameRanger. No idea if they play original TA or just TA: Escalation these days.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Since you're liking TA so much I'm gonna go ahead and recommend you play Supreme Commander as well. As a spiritual successor, it is pretty much every good thing about TA improved upon, expanded upon, looks incredibly nice despite being over 10 years old at this point. And it has an active community who is still patching the thing in the form of Forged Alliance Forever.

Although they still aren't good at tutorials, since the campaign goes the opposite way and unlocking appropriate tech tiers and units happens excruciatingly slowly. The campaign even forces you to do jobs that no one in their right mind would do with low-tier units just cause they decided you weren't ready for higher tiers.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Corbeau posted:

Yeah, TA was pretty crazy about automation for the time. Been so long since I last touched it that I couldn't tell you how to set that stuff up though. :v:

That's a huge part of the problem actually. I can figure out some poo poo, mainly from playing much later games. I don't even know what the units are lol

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Zero-K is a free TA successor and the campaign is pretty didactic.

And yeah, TA is a surprisingly modern game for something that's over 20 years old, partly because the RTS genre developed in a different direction than the one TA and SupCom were going for.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Milo and POTUS posted:

I bought TA on a lark because I do on occasion like macro-focused, more strategic scale games where the resource collecting takes a back seat to combat management. I've been on a competitive rts viewing kick lately and watched a few pro matches on youtube and it seemed pretty good in this regard. Just a few comments. First is I'm surprised at how modern the game feels, particularly the interface. It's missing a few things (I don't think you can set rally points which is... unfortunate) but nothing that I think would cripple my enjoyment. It does feel a little slow with a few units but it probably gets hectic as poo poo once mid game rolls around. And can I say how awesome it is that a 23 year old game has surprisingly high resolutions. Second of all is the campaign kinda sucks. At the very least it sucks at actually teaching you about the game. I had to pop onto youtube to figure out what an effective build order would be for the second mission. I figured out energy collection but I had to restart by the time I realized I had to collect metal too.

Anyway, I bought this on steam and I'm curious about multiplayer. I would like to play against someone and I think my keeping it is contingent on that fact. If there is any sort of competitive or casual scene, where would I go for that sort of thing? I doubt heat.com is a thing anymore :)

I know GOG has a version for only a dollar more and it also comes with expansion packs so if it also has a baked in multiplayer I might just get it instead.
Yeah, it's wild how futureproofed TA was. Especially if you install one of those mods that expands the UI so that you've got orders and build menus on the same page. As for multiplayer, I believe Escalation (made a big post about it on the first page) is the de-facto way the game is played competitively but the base game and the Mayhem mod apparently still have its players. As Fallom said, it's all through Gameranger which is kind of a pain, and the one thing that hasn't aged too well is the netcode.

mortons stork posted:

Since you're liking TA so much I'm gonna go ahead and recommend you play Supreme Commander as well. As a spiritual successor, it is pretty much every good thing about TA improved upon, expanded upon, looks incredibly nice despite being over 10 years old at this point. And it has an active community who is still patching the thing in the form of Forged Alliance Forever.

Although they still aren't good at tutorials, since the campaign goes the opposite way and unlocking appropriate tech tiers and units happens excruciatingly slowly. The campaign even forces you to do jobs that no one in their right mind would do with low-tier units just cause they decided you weren't ready for higher tiers.
I like the Supcoms well enough, but they never held a candle to TA for me. Part of it is that the scale is just too big for my liking, everything quickly becomes icon wars, and the other is that it just lacked the sheer physicality its predecessor had. The way units move, animate, and interact with one another, the way planes dogfight, the screenshakes and explosion effects. Also, while I'm guessing FAF has fixed some of it, I also remember the pathfinding being an absolute chore.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Man, I'm replaying CNC3 and it's still a ton of fun and still looks pretty great!

The commando still owns.
It's really too bad the direction that they went afterwards though, RA3 and CNC4... woof.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 26, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I never played any WW properties after RA2YR though I guess Battle for Dune looked kinda fun. Didn't you pick a main faction and a subfaction? That seems a great system and I wished it got used more

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Battle for Dune was really really rough around the edges but yeah it had some cool ideas, I think CNC3 Kane's Wrath and Generals Zero Hour used subfactions too... in skirmish anyways. I think RA2 might have as well?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah all three of those games had subfactions, though in RA2's case it was pretty much just a single new unit per country and maybe some slight veteran bonuses for unit types. Natch, a lot of mods for all the games greatly expanded on that concept, for example MO makes each subfaction almost its own unique team.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I never considered RA2s countries subfactions though I guess they are. I just considered them factions lol.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Deakul posted:

Man, I'm replaying CNC3 and it's still a ton of fun and still looks pretty great!

Same, but man the patches really messed up some of the campaign missions...

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

mortons stork posted:

I'll make a qualified rec for Planetary Annihilation too. Same style of RTS, closer to TA than SupCom. Caveats: there is no singleplayer worth speaking of, you really need the TITANS expandalone, not the base game, and you'll need four extra brains to play effectively because strategy on spheres is hard, it turns out.

Also you can smash planets into other planets and make them explode :3:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Generals was really, really good about that. We played a number of LANs where I used the sneaky terrorist faction to become a night unkillable thorn in everyone else's side due to my dozen or so invisible bases.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

If you have some buddies the most fun I've ever had in video gaming was planetary annihilation team games with share units/economy turned on. You'd need a minimum 3 other buddies to experience that though, because there's no way you're getting any randos to play shared econ games

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Captain Monkey posted:

Generals was really, really good about that. We played a number of LANs where I used the sneaky terrorist faction to become a night unkillable thorn in everyone else's side due to my dozen or so invisible bases.

i tried doing that but my friends would always ban me from playing them, its hard to be a sneaky rear end in a top hat...

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Negostrike posted:

I wonder if the Definitive Edition is being used for their tournaments. AOE 1 DE is a pretty mediocre "remastering" compared to 2.

It is! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdz4q1o0C3LVAWvTRDjWaBg/videos

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Getting an entire country on board would be a great way to build up clout and credibility for your competitive scene....and they go nuts for the lesser game :sigh: Oh well.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Monkey posted:

I pulled similar things in Dawn of War 1 playing as the Eldar. Fun times.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
This looks pretty cool. Sort of an indie Homeworld game with a metagame and fleet customization.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95STa9Dps1o

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

If I got TA+expansion from GOG, would I be able to play Escalation online with that or what? I refunded my steam copy because its only a buck more for the expansion on gog, even if I much prefer having all my poo poo in one place

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Mordja posted:

This looks pretty cool. Sort of an indie Homeworld game with a metagame and fleet customization.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95STa9Dps1o

Thanks for sharing, keeping this one on my radar for later

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Milo and POTUS posted:

If I got TA+expansion from GOG, would I be able to play Escalation online with that or what? I refunded my steam copy because its only a buck more for the expansion on gog, even if I much prefer having all my poo poo in one place
Yeah, all the mods work with all the versions. And godspeed to you, trying to get into competitive TA at this stage, imma stick with skirmish and compstomps.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

there's a very... very indie looking myth clone coming up
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1174670/Nordic_Warriors/

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Davincie posted:

there's a very... very indie looking myth clone coming up
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1174670/Nordic_Warriors/
Not the best animations, but the gibs are on point. It's got a demo out already so I'll give that a look.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Haha "very indie" is right. To get the demo I had to sign up for a newsletter and then they emailed me google drive link. Joke's on me if it's a virus lol.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Trip report: it's Myth all right. It's also real difficult.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The 2016 Master of Orion remake is on sale for half off right now. I thought I remembered it being poorly received, but Steam shows it as having good reviews.

Is it fun?
How's the AI? I'll still go back and play Civ6 every so often, but the relentlessly hostile AI and poor tactics engine are always a disappointment.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I should really go back and play imperialism 1/2 again, on the topic of turn based. Favorite ones by a significant margin.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

LLSix posted:

The 2016 Master of Orion remake is on sale for half off right now. I thought I remembered it being poorly received, but Steam shows it as having good reviews.

Is it fun?
How's the AI? I'll still go back and play Civ6 every so often, but the relentlessly hostile AI and poor tactics engine are always a disappointment.

It's baby's first space 4x, I'd avoid it unless you just want something braindead to poke at whenever you're really bored.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Does Field of Glory 2 ever go on sale? I want to try it out but it seems Slitherine is jacking up the DLC bad from Pike&Shot

teokarp
Feb 18, 2020

StashAugustine posted:

Does Field of Glory 2 ever go on sale? I want to try it out but it seems Slitherine is jacking up the DLC bad from Pike&Shot

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/fieldofgloryii/info/

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

LLSix posted:

Is it fun?

they gave the silicoid adviser tits

also somehow a worse game than (modded) MoO3, but IMO that detail is all the warning you need

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Anybody check out old world yet? Civ + Crusader king sounds like a really cool match.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

DrManiac posted:

Anybody check out old world yet? Civ + Crusader king sounds like a really cool match.

Yes, and there is a thread for it! General consensus is that it is good, but still very early access- Unoptimized, memory leaks, and other game crashing bugs.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Total annihilation kingdoms is on sale for 50%. It have any competitive scene to speak of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Milo and POTUS posted:

Total annihilation kingdoms is on sale for 50%. It have any competitive scene to speak of?

Not really. It's just much worse in every way than TA but especially for multiplayer.