Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

https://twitter.com/adam_tooze/status/1254126782736982017?s=20

Interesting question; what happens to Europe when the German manufacturing export engine takes a loving body blow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Repost from the bottom of the last page, because you gotta see this poo poo together:

Given how reliant France, Spain, Italy are on their service sector, and that nobody loving knows if the holiday July/August season will even be possible ...

https://twitter.com/adam_tooze/status/1254130558050934784?s=20

Strap yourselves in everyone. (click the tweet to see the service Number).

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 25, 2020

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's going to be a poo poo year for the tourism industry even if the holiday season is possible.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
It's going to be a loving disaster.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lots of commercial and consumer real-estate bonds about to go bad. Sure it'll be fine. Not like there are more building cranes in Alicante than most EU metropolitan areas.

It's fine!

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

For sure the ECB is gonna be doing QE and junk-bond buying like it's a loving coke addict with a fresh salary in the bank account, but I don't think there's a monetary answer to this poo poo. Gotta be fiscal and and it's gotta be huge.

Problem is we've taught an entire generation of technocratic dodos that all fiscal is always bad all the time, plus we signed that idiotic stability and growth pact. Plus the north/south thing.

I have not very many clues as to what the gently caress's gonna happen.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Well without fiscal support the local tourism economies of Mediterranean countries will simply starve. Like literally starve.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Junior G-man posted:

Given how reliant France, Spain, Italy are on their service sector, and that nobody loving knows if the holiday July/August season will even be possible ...

https://twitter.com/adam_tooze/status/1254130558050934784?s=20

Strap yourselves in everyone.

The FT had this within an article last week:

This is just direct employment too - it doesn't count % of the population that is indirectly dependent. Children/partners of people who work in tourism etc. So the actual "dependent on tourism" figure is likely about twice whats shown in the above.

Given the vast, vast majority (80% I'd say at a complete guess?) of tourism in these countries is the summer season of May->October theres going to have to be massive pressure on the governments in countries like Greece and Portugal to open up ASAP. They won't be able to afford to wait around until after the summer for things to return to normalcy.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How are things in Italy compared to early March?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Even if Greece and Portugal opened up, who is going to travel there now?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

Plus, wouldn't they have to quarantine anyone coming into the country for at least 2 weeks, which would kill any potential trips anyway?

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

Oh yes, opening up won't actually solve the problem (in the short term anyway) at all. Numbers will still be way, way down. But if you're working in the tourism industry its one thing to have tourists from foreign countries choosing not to visit, its another having your own country outright banning them - the latter is at least in theory within your control, and so will be where the pressure will fall on domestic politicians.

And the workers will probably hope some tourists will decide to visit anyway, which is better than none. Polls do show anything from 10-30% of people in most Western countries, depending on the country, are unconcerned about the virus.

edit: just for reference, corona has been active in Greece since February. And Greece has only had 130 total corona deaths to date. And an average of only 2 deaths per day for the last week. So compare the impact of that to the impact of closed borders on the 27% of the country (~3million people) directly employed in tourism... Thats going to be a very different equation to countries both much harder hit by the virus, and much less dependent on tourism.

Blut fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 25, 2020

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Kassad posted:

It's going to be a poo poo year for the tourism industry even if the holiday season is possible.

There's no way to say this without sounding like a ghoul, but in these situations what are prices like if you do manage to get out?

Assuming we can travel this summer, I would be more than happy to hit a beach in Brittany and spend some money over there.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

There's no way to say this without sounding like a ghoul, but in these situations what are prices like if you do manage to get out?

Assuming we can travel this summer, I would be more than happy to hit a beach in Brittany and spend some money over there.

Michael O'Leary of Ryanair gave an interview where he touched on this last week:

quote:

PARIS (Reuters) - Ryanair <RYA.I> is steeling for an airline price war that it expects to win once coronavirus restrictions are lifted and passengers flock back to tourist destinations, Chief Executive Michael O'Leary told Reuters on Wednesday.

Brushing off forecasts of a sluggish recovery, O'Leary predicted a swift traffic rebound, with the pain coming instead from "massive price-dumping" that traditional airlines now seeking bailouts would struggle to keep up with.
[...]
Ryanair assumes European flights will stay grounded until a "limited" resumption in June, O'Leary said. After that, a resurgence of intra-European travel will be driven by steep discounts on last-minute holidays in July-August.

"Lots of people across northern Europe have been locked up in apartments," he said. "They will all want to go on holiday before the kids go back to school as long as they can do so in reasonable safety."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ryanair-sees-quick-airline-recovery-145143208.html

So if that bears out come June we should start seeing a lot of last minute holiday bargain deals for July&August.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Spain signalling they might be ready to play hardball: https://nos.nl/artikel/2331753-premier-spanje-nog-boos-over-houding-nederland-hadden-excuses-rutte-verwacht.html

OD translation:

quote:

Spain still wants nothing to do with preconditions in order to receive money from a recovery fund, with which to soak up the economic blows of the coronavirus. "This is a war. In a war, you do not put conditions on help", says the Spanish prime minister Sánchez. He is not happy with the tone finance minister Wopke Hoekstra used towards Spain earlier.

"We are taking on debts to save lives. Here we have but one goal: collectively, as a country, saving lives. One can not impose preconditions on that from outside", was Sánchez' response to questions from the NOS (Dutch state news agency) at a press conference.

According to Sánchez his country is currently spending a lot of money on hospitals, medical personal and support for Spaniards who have lost their jobs. "That is what the Spanish government is doing. We shall now see what solidarity means in Europe. This is a pandemic which has directly hit the European Union. Now citizens want to know where the solidarity is. How are we going to deal with this?"

No decision has been made yet on extra funds for affected EU-countries. The leaders have asked the European Commission to create plans for what such a recovery fund should look like.

During a videoconference countries like Italy, France and Spain expressed the necessity of using European state loans to provide funds. Spain even wants that those loans will never be paid back. And precisely this the Netherlands is against.

"Ofcourse a country needs to stick to its budget", Sánchez argued. "This is a welfare state which needs to be financed. The pension system needs to be sustainable. However, this is a war."

There remains irritation about the Dutch position with the Spanish government. According to Sánchez an apology from the Netherlands about the statements by finance minister Hoekstra would have been appropriate. "I respect Mark Rutte as a politician, and as a human. We have a kind of friendship", said Sánchez. "I have also never wanted to react about words we heard from ministers of his government. Those were judgements about Spain, and about other countries hit by the virus."

"I would have liked to hear something from the Dutch prime minister after that. About Spain. Something in which he would have addressed the unfair criticism of his finance minister."

Can someone fluent in Spanish find the actual words of Sánchez and tell me if he seems ready to tell the Dutch government to gently caress himself or if this is more showmanship for his own political base?

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Here it is

https://www.expansion.com/opinion/2020/04/25/5ea4043ee5fdeac0588b45d0.html

It seems super mild to me. "It is the moment to show that solidarity is at the core of the European Union" and "European solidarity cannot rely just on higher debt" are the harshest things to me.

Plus it's said in the rag for boardrooms, the equivalent to the wsj or the economist. Soooooooooo I am not holding my breath

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I frankly don't know, the government is saying they won't make an announcement about reopening hotels, restaurants and bars until the end of May.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I used to say to people in Portugal that relying on tourism forever and expecting it to grow forever too was suicidal, that we needed to diversify and have better social nets.
But for some reason most people thought tourism was this never ending growing industry and if something was bad the good Germans would come to help, the psychopatic ghouls that didn't help on the last crisis are not going to help on the next but for some reason the germans were going to have a change of heart (haha), we are incredible hosed for the future. But living in the US has told me Portugal could be far worse, so there is some silver lining that the super power has set the bar pretty low.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Blut posted:

edit: just for reference, corona has been active in Greece since February. And Greece has only had 130 total corona deaths to date. And an average of only 2 deaths per day for the last week. So compare the impact of that to the impact of closed borders on the 27% of the country (~3million people) directly employed in tourism... Thats going to be a very different equation to countries both much harder hit by the virus, and much less dependent on tourism.

But the equation would include the risk of a new outbreak spreading rapidly from infected tourists, not just that of the current low death rate continuing.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Dawncloack posted:

Here it is

https://www.expansion.com/opinion/2020/04/25/5ea4043ee5fdeac0588b45d0.html

It seems super mild to me. "It is the moment to show that solidarity is at the core of the European Union" and "European solidarity cannot rely just on higher debt" are the harshest things to me.

Plus it's said in the rag for boardrooms, the equivalent to the wsj or the economist. Soooooooooo I am not holding my breath

The actual article about Sanchez's words that Orange Devil linked is this one:

https://www.europapress.es/economia...0425220830.html

At a first glance it's pretty much the same, except for one bit:

"There's no moral hazard, the only collective goal is to save lives and there's no other conditionality outside this one"

I think it's really unlikely that Sanchez will tell the Dutch government tu gently caress off for the time being, or any other party in Spain for that matter, even though there's many people who would support that.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Apr 26, 2020

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Oh, thanks! My google fu is bad.

Yeah, very unlikely.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

u brexit ukip it posted:

But the equation would include the risk of a new outbreak spreading rapidly from infected tourists, not just that of the current low death rate continuing.

People are inherently bad at weighing up theoretical long term risk against very real actual short term risk, though. Those 3 million people in Greece are facing a near 100% chance of having no money to pay rent, or to pay for food for their family, within a month or two. Versus a vague potential risk of a resurge of corona that might happen further away, and if it does that might be the same low death rate as the current one and no worse, or if it does and if its worse it might only not hit people you know and care about.

This on top of the whole wider economy imploding rapidly side of things too. Government revenue is also going to be under huge pressure in these countries - much worse than in Northern Europe.

Its really going to be an extremely hard sell for politicians to keep tourism closed down all summer in Europe.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Thanks guys. Disappointing.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Also radio fake news and conspiranoia is making Sanchez out to be begging for a handout in Brussels.

The anger I suffer at the fake news industry is red hot.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Blut posted:

Its really going to be an extremely hard sell for politicians to keep tourism closed down all summer in Europe.
For southern politicians. In the north the only argument for lifting quarantines is supporting southern economies and letting the people who absolute have to go on a Mediterranean vacation do that without any consideration for the rest of the country. Meanwhile keeping the quarantine going means being able to get out of lockdown faster, so your economy can start to bounce back, with the potential added benefit of propping up your domestic tourism industry.

I wonder how many people will go south if going back home includes a 14 day quarantine?

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Both Portugal and Spain have huge extensions of beach, if you can do a beach season with relative social distancing it will be there.
There's one between troia and sines which is just 45 Kms of uninterrupted sand and sea, it's pretty great.also rich assholes are trying to make them private beaches so if anyone wants to come over and cough all over their beach houses you're welcome.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Both Portugal and Spain have huge extensions of beach, if you can do a beach season with relative social distancing it will be there.
There's one between troia and sines which is just 45 Kms of uninterrupted sand and sea, it's pretty great.also rich assholes are trying to make them private beaches so if anyone wants to come over and cough all over their beach houses you're welcome.
Even if people keep their distance on the beaches themselves, which is a big assumption on its own, you need to maintain that distancing for more centralized functions such as kiosks, showers, transportation, hotels and so on. It's all well and good if people don't infect each other out in the open, but how do you prevent infection from spreading in a hotel? The virus can remain suspended in small droplets in the air for hours, on surfaces for days, and can move between rooms through pipes and ventilation canals.

Not saying politicians won't try to force it anyway, but I sure hope we keep our citizens at home, or put them in quarantine if we do let them go.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

For southern politicians. In the north the only argument for lifting quarantines is supporting southern economies and letting the people who absolute have to go on a Mediterranean vacation do that without any consideration for the rest of the country. Meanwhile keeping the quarantine going means being able to get out of lockdown faster, so your economy can start to bounce back, with the potential added benefit of propping up your domestic tourism industry.

I wonder how many people will go south if going back home includes a 14 day quarantine?

True, Northern politicians will definitely be under far less pressure to open the borders. My post should really have read "Southern Europe" rather than just Europe.

I wouldn't do it personally. But for the 10-30% of the population that doesn't think corona is a threat a 14 day day post-holiday quarantine might be a benefit not a cost. Governments will definitely bring in legislation so that anyone in mandatory corona related quarantine gets paid/can't get fired, because they'll want people to do it.

So 14 paid days off from your blue collar job, after your holiday, because the government insists? After getting a really cheap deal on your sun holiday? Thats a pretty good deal, if you're not worried about the virus at all.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Blut posted:

True, Northern politicians will definitely be under far less pressure to open the borders. My post should really have read "Southern Europe" rather than just Europe.

I wouldn't do it personally. But for the 10-30% of the population that doesn't think corona is a threat a 14 day day post-holiday quarantine might be a benefit not a cost. Governments will definitely bring in legislation so that anyone in mandatory corona related quarantine gets paid/can't get fired, because they'll want people to do it.

So 14 paid days off from your blue collar job, after your holiday, because the government insists? After getting a really cheap deal on your sun holiday? Thats a pretty good deal, if you're not worried about the virus at all.

They're not going to open the borders and still require 14 days quarantine for travellers. That makes no sense. Guys it's safe to travel so go ahead and also it's not safe so we'll quarantine you.

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008

Owling Howl posted:

They're not going to open the borders and still require 14 days quarantine for travellers. That makes no sense. Guys it's safe to travel so go ahead and also it's not safe so we'll quarantine you.

Don’t wear masks because they don’t do anything also it’s mandatory to wear a mask in public places now.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Blut posted:

Why would northern governments want people to go on vacation? Especially the people who don't think it's a threat, who will be far more likely to get infected and then circumvent quarantine in some way that creates new domestic clusters. Having them stay home to spend money here is much better for the economy.

Blut posted:

What you're suggesting here is combining the worst two things in the world; doing something nice for your domestic workforce and funneling money to southern economies. Did you arrive from some alternate universe where the United Socialist Republics reign over Europe?

e: I mean, I suppose it would support the upper (middle) class types who spread the disease around in the first place, so why not?

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Owling Howl posted:

Thats literally exactly how things currently are in a lot of places around the world, today. Open borders, but mandatory quarantine for anyone who arrives.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Why would northern governments want people to go on vacation? Especially the people who don't think it's a threat, who will be far more likely to get infected and then circumvent quarantine in some way that creates new domestic clusters. Having them stay home to spend money here is much better for the economy.

Northern governments would absolutely prefer people not go on vacation. But they're also going to find it hard to completely ban it, without closing their borders completely. Even right now, comparatively close to the peak, people are still flying places for leisure reasons - and I know someone personally who decided to go on vacation to take advantage of it.

quote:

What you're suggesting here is combining the worst two things in the world; doing something nice for your domestic workforce and funneling money to southern economies. Did you arrive from some alternate universe where the United Socialist Republics reign over Europe?

e: I mean, I suppose it would support the upper (middle) class types who spread the disease around in the first place, so why not?

Its nothing to do with some utopian ideal of doing something nice for anyone. Northern governments will in complete self interest want to quarantine any arrivals to prevent new outbreaks if they can, but won't want to/aren't able to fully close their borders. Southern states in self-interest are going to want to reopen for tourism as soon as humanly possible. And flights/airports/ports aren't shut down even right now, and are only going to get more frequent than they are as time goes on. And lots of people are going to take advantage of that combination, if they can.

This is the current projection for air travel according to the FT this week like:

Tourism, though at a much reduced level, is going to be back a lot sooner than people expect.

Blut fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 26, 2020

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

We should keep everyone locked down until the number of new cases is 0 for two weeks, but that would be disastrous for Number, so...
I agree with blut , tourism will be back sooner than we think, even if at 50 or 60% of previous numbers. There's too much money at stake, and too many people on the brink of financial ruin that will accept that gamble.
Can't wait for the hipernormalisation of 2% of the population just dying every flu season, gonna be lit.

Hell, I'm betting just as soon as this subsides a bit that a majority of governments will crow "mission accomplished!" There's gonna be a smorgasbord of spending and consumption like it's loving Christmas.
For 2 weeks.
And we'll still be arguing about Corona bonds then

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Blut posted:

And the workers will probably hope some tourists will decide to visit anyway, which is better than none. Polls do show anything from 10-30% of people in most Western countries, depending on the country, are unconcerned about the virus.

Eastern Europe has in general fewer cases per capita than Western Europe. Vacationing in Eastern Europe carries less risk than vacationing domestically. That's assuming you travel by car -- not sure how planes fit into the equation.

We should keep everyone locked down until the number of new cases is 0 for two weeks, but that would be disastrous for Number, so...

It would be disastrous not only for Number but for Human too. Obvious economic problems aside, lockdown also brings more divorces, more domestic abuse, more mental illness, more obesity and related health issues... And besides it's not even something epidemiologists wish for. In this stage of the pandemic you want the disease to progress slowly, to let population get immunity without overburdening the health system.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Doctor Malaver posted:

It would be disastrous not only for Number but for Human too. Obvious economic problems aside, lockdown also brings more divorces, more domestic abuse, more mental illness, more obesity and related health issues... And besides it's not even something epidemiologists wish for. In this stage of the pandemic you want the disease to progress slowly, to let population get immunity without overburdening the health system.
There's actually no evidence yet that the disease confers immunity to people who survive it. I mean, it probably does, but there's no evidence, importantly not for how long either. The duration of the presence of antibodies for other coronaviruses ranges from a few months to more than a decade, though their presence alone doesn't mean you're immune. Depending on how that lines up with your "infect slowly everyone plan", you might just create a perpetual pandemic with permanent restrictions on movement.

Not sure why you'd go with that plan over clamping down on the disease until it's extinguished in your country, a strategy with a proven record that has the added benefit of getting out of social restrictions faster. Sure, you have to keep restrictions going for cross-border movement, but that's far preferable to maintaining them internally.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Am I the only one who's actually noticeably lost weight with isolation?

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Do you also have a 2 month old? Because I keep eating and losing weight (and sleep hours). :shepicide:

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Same here, much healthier lifestyle, more exercise, all food is homecooked.

Also in other news, Wolfgang Schauble would like to start tossing people in the volcano to satisfy the Economy God:

quote:

BERLIN. Over the weekend, Bundestag President Wolfgang Schäuble of the Christian Democratic Union (CDU) advocated for a more even calculus between public health and the economic and social consequences of a prolonged shutdown, fearing an overload of state capacities. He also disagreed with subordinating all other concerns to the goal of saving lives, claiming "this in its absolutism is not correct," as the German constitution's right to human dignity "does not exclude the possibility that we must die."

"We must not leave decisions to the virologists alone, but must also weigh up the enormous economic, social, psychological and other implications. To simply shut everything down for two years would have terrible consequences,"

Now where have we heard that before from the same guy? Hmmmmm

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Doctor Malaver posted:

Eastern Europe has in general fewer cases per capita than Western Europe. Vacationing in Eastern Europe carries less risk than vacationing domestically. That's assuming you travel by car -- not sure how planes fit into the equation.

There's absolutely no proof we can keep imunity.there is no proof that if you get the Roni with mild symptoms, that the next time you do get it, it doesn't cause a stroke or rampaging pneumonia.
The only thing that differentiates mild symptoms and rampaging symptoms besides comorbidities is viral load at infection.
NZ is on its way to zero infections.
The current restrictions have also seen infection by the common cold and the flu plummet.if we keep this until r0 is, you know, 0 , we can basically supress 3 of the most common causes of death right now, and with immediate quarantine procedures buy us enough time to roll out a vaccine or at least reliable testing.
We can guarantee a universal basic income during a lockdown.we can also garantee that any job furloughed is kept.this would help Number in the long run.but we don't do it because there is no political will to do it.because Number must go up now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Not sure why you'd go with that plan over clamping down on the disease until it's extinguished in your country, a strategy with a proven record that has the added benefit of getting out of social restrictions faster. Sure, you have to keep restrictions going for cross-border movement, but that's far preferable to maintaining them internally.

There's absolutely no proof we can keep imunity.there is no proof that if you get the Roni with mild symptoms, that the next time you do get it, it doesn't cause a stroke or rampaging pneumonia.
The only thing that differentiates mild symptoms and rampaging symptoms besides comorbidities is viral load at infection.
NZ is on its way to zero infections.
The current restrictions have also seen infection by the common cold and the flu plummet.if we keep this until r0 is, you know, 0 , we can basically supress 3 of the most common causes of death right now, and with immediate quarantine procedures buy us enough time to roll out a vaccine or at least reliable testing.
We can guarantee a universal basic income during a lockdown.we can also garantee that any job furloughed is kept.this would help Number in the long run.but we don't do it because there is no political will to do it.because Number must go up now.

You're making it sound like there's an obvious approach which suits every country regardless of its geography, health system, and finances, and the only reason it's not universally accepted is concern for profits. In fact, nobody knows what they're doing, countries are trying different things, and "proven records" are often disproven (Singapore, for example).