Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Pierzak posted:

If you have access to Scale 75, they have awesome metallics (might be my new favorites) with the caveat that they name the paints after metal music genres which is cute but tells you gently caress all about the color.

Unfortunately the only hobby shop near my home has only GW and Vallejo in stock. But she's got the full range of Vallejo product which is nice. I've had bad experience buying paint online so I prefer to go to the physical shop. But if I ever stumble upon a shop that has Scale 75 I'll definitely check them out, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

SiKboy posted:

A dark wash covers a multitude of sins.

I've been painting for like six months, and this is probably my biggest takeaway. Washes really do cover a lot of mistakes, and make your models look so much better. Make sure you have wash. I'm glad that when I started I bought the Army painter wash set, since it has given me a number of washes to try out that I'd probably never have thought to buy on my own (blue, purple, green) which has gone well with different things. Just experiment and find out what you like. I've found I don't like the "heavy metal" style of painting with all the highlights, and that's okay.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I do find the strong highlights to be excessive in up close pictures, but at tabletop distance they do come together and make details visible. They're very cartoonish, which works for fantasy/sci-fi stuff, not so much for more realistic models.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
My last workhorse brush, a Winsor & Newton Series 7 size 0, is on its way out, so I picked up another W&N to replace it as well as a Rosemary & Co Series 33 size 0 on the recommendation of this thread and I've been trying both out.

I'm not sure if I got a bad R&Co brush, but I am definitely not impressed so far. Even brand new it doesn't really form a proper point at the tip, and seems to revert almost immediately after I dip it into paint to a slightly splayed and blunted end. I also don't mind that the brush is slimmer and longer than the W&N, except that it seems to front load paint when held upside down so that it's hard to control flow and application while painting.

Given how cheap R&Co brushes are I might give it another chance, but I'm gonna stick with W&N for now.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
Ok I can't seem to sort this out using google. Is an R95 Mask good enough to protect me from airbrushing particles? I'm using it in an out door space.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Two Headed Calf posted:

How does Vallejo Gold Metal Color hold up to GW Retributor Armor? My pot RA is almost done and I adore the VMCs I just don't want a noticeable difference between my models painted with RA and the VMC.

Vallejo Metal Color Gold is a pale whitish gold, more like Valdor Gold than Retributor.

head58 has done comparisons with the Model Colour golds.

From my experience none of the Vallejo Model/Model Air Golds really hold up to Retributor in terms of ease of use and coverage. You'll have to dilute them and paint multiple layers to get an even coat when a single coat of Retributor gets you a better result. You can alter the colour of it afterwards with washes.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Another Bill posted:

Ok I can't seem to sort this out using google. Is an R95 Mask good enough to protect me from airbrushing particles? I'm using it in an out door space.

Yep, especially if you're outside. Just make sure it fits snugly over your face and doesn't leave any obvious gaps.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
Cool thank you!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Finally had the time to paint Abaddon. I feel pretty good about it.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Jeez, painting gray skin is surprisingly difficult. I spent about 2 weeks on my Bela'kor (including one strip and restart) but in the end I'm happy with the result.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I finished up some terradon Riders today!

These fellas are awkward to paint with the moving base and stuff sticking out everywhere.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

What are the hot tips for painting the bottoms of models to look like they are actually walking through the material on their base?

Paint their feet the color of the base and add model pigment?

A lot of Booley’s stuff is exquisitely and vibrantly colored, and then the feet look like they’ve been walking through the terrain.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

What are the hot tips for painting the bottoms of models to look like they are actually walking through the material on their base?

Paint their feet the color of the base and add model pigment?

A lot of Booley’s stuff is exquisitely and vibrantly colored, and then the feet look like they’ve been walking through the terrain.
Dry pigments are the secret to that look.

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

Mikey Purp posted:

Jeez, painting gray skin is surprisingly difficult. I spent about 2 weeks on my Bela'kor (including one strip and restart) but in the end I'm happy with the result.

I’d be happy too. Great work!

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
I need to redo the photos but Magnus is done.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You guys are crushing it recently!
Unsurprisingly, goons blossom in isolation.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Ilor posted:

Dry pigments are the secret to that look.

Aka weathering powders

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Hobby hobby long weekend

(3D printed for practicing)

Joining the bone bros once he gets a few little tidy ups

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020
Cross post from the WH40K thread, looking for critique and advice on what painting techniques to look into:

[quote="Pakxos" post="504421034"]
These are my 'best'. Once I have the painting better in hand, then comes the basing and transfers.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'd recommend just focusing on the fundamentals: paint/brush control, neatness, smooth/even coats and the like. You could also try some basic highlighting.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I finally painted Magore's Fiends! A very quick paintjob, just to cross them off my list.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Pakxos posted:

Cross post from the WH40K thread, looking for critique and advice on what painting techniques to look into:

It's mostly a matter of practice, to be honest. Getting the feel of the paint on the brush, how much you can load it up and how it goes on to the models

Keep your paints nice and thin, a wet palette can really help with this, and remember that it's better to do multiple thin layers for coverage, than to glob one thick layer on. When the viscosity is right (similar to whole milk), the paint can look like it's a bit heavy when you put it on there and it's still wet, but it will dry tightly to the details, I don't know how else to explain it.

You do need to work a bit on your coverage and staying within the particular bit you're painting. Part of this is looking at your minis from every angle. Stick your minis on some kind of paint handles, either blu-tack them to old paint pots or wood dowels, or get a couple of painting handles from GW/Citadel or one of the other mini companies. It makes it a lot easier to turn around the models without putting your grubby mitts all over them.

It's important to have good lighting (I use two cheap Ikea Tertial desk lamps and some nice bright daylight LED bulbs) and look from all angles, I almost always find some spots on the undersides of various details that I missed on my first basecoat. If I turn my desk lamps off and rely just on normal room lighting, it makes it so much harder to spot flaws.

When it comes to techniques, focus on laying down good basecoats with solid coverage (remember: multiple thin layers), because those are your foundation to build shading and details on top of. Once you have those down with good clean separation and nicely blocking out the major features, washes provide an easy way to do shading, and they can help hide any tiny flaws that may still be hiding in various corners of the basecoat. The go-to Citadel washes are Agrax Earthshade (brown) and Nuln Oil (black). Army Painter has Strong Tone and Dark Tone for roughly the same colors.

And some people stop there, varnish the models and play games with them, I've seen some great clean quick paintjobs like that :)

You can obviously take it further from there with edge highlights and building up highlights in addition to the shading you've done with the washes, but I would stick with the basecoats and the washes, and work on technique before venturing into more technical stuff.

And absolutely definitely keep some of the first minis, just to keep a reminder of how much your skills progress :)

E: This is a good video on fundamentals and techniques, from the Bob Ross of mini painting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-BlVYFxfRA

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 27, 2020

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

KozmoNaut posted:

E: This is a good video on fundamentals and techniques, from the Bob Ross of mini painting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-BlVYFxfRA

Thanks for the comments! I watched a bunch of his and other 'new to minis' videos, but things are still looking rough. Way easier to watch then put in practice, that is for sure.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Got quite a bit of painting done this weekend! Managed to finish almost all the Necron stuff I currently have pending.

Wraiths!

Catacomb Command Barge!

A second Triarch Stalker!

Twenty immortals!

I'm going to take some actual glamour shots tonight.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Cross-posting, because I had a lot of fun painting these tiny tanks!

A month ago I painted four three HISS tanks (plus one Red Shadows Hyena):

I've since added a pair of snow snakes Arctic HISS:

And tiny Major Bludd and tiny Cobra Commander got HISS tanks of their own!

Just for size comparison:

And another shot of the whole squadron:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
anyone know a good place to pick up paints and other supplies in the Age of COVID? I was thinking of maybe painting a few minis I have sitting around that I never got to and then realized how long its been since I've done anything and its all kind of dried up :smith:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I think I can add some water too, right?

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I painted a big yella robit:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

anyone know a good place to pick up paints and other supplies in the Age of COVID? I was thinking of maybe painting a few minis I have sitting around that I never got to and then realized how long its been since I've done anything and its all kind of dried up :smith:

If you live in the US:

https://www.michtoy.com/
http://www.lastcavalry.com/

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Drill your barrel.

:downsrim:

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Zaodai posted:

Drill your barrel.

:downsrim:

:smugjones:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TotalHell posted:

I painted a big yella robit:

I always like me some Warjacks. This is a good paint scheme.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
here's what I'm working with

some terminator lord I made entirely too elaborate for some reason

and then this little number

and I guess if I get really ambitious I can always deal with this thing

unfortunately, I don't seem to have kept any fantasy models around :(

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Electric Hobo posted:

I finally painted Magore's Fiends! A very quick paintjob, just to cross them off my list.

Oh wow, these are really great. Vastly better than the studio's CANDYCOAT EVERYTHING Khorne armor which doesn't make diegetic sense (to me at least)?

E: Looked at the studio paint job again and it's not really a Candy Coat to be honest but it's definitely too bright and clean IMO (the studio's, not yours)?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 28, 2020

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Schadenboner posted:

Oh wow, these are really great. Vastly better than the studio's CANDYCOAT EVERYTHING Khorne armor which doesn't make diegetic sense (to me at least)?

E: Looked at the studio paint job again and it's not really a Candy Coat to be honest but it's definitely too bright and clean IMO (the studio's, not yours)?

That's just GW's bright and cartoony house style, which looks great in photographs and really stands out at tabletop distances.

Electric Hobo's take is more muted and dark, which I like, but at the cost of not having the same level of pop.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, the thumbnails does make them look really, really murky.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
While I like my own painting, I wouldn't field an army in this colorscheme. They're dark brown, dark metal, dark brass, dark red, and desaturated blue, the only real color is on their bases. An army of them would just look like a brown blob rolling across the table, and you wouldn't be able to see anything thats going on.
They're fine for a game of Warhammer Underworlds, since you're quite a bit closer to the figures, and you only have those 4 figures to worry about, but a group of 10 or 20 standing close together would be less fine.

I appreciate the positive comments, but I also know that not everybody will like a colorscheme that looks like an old wooden cupboard, and one thing I like about this forum is that you can get some actual, honest critique without the whole thread having a breakdown. I value the feedback I get in here much more that what I get on Facebook, where everyone are just terrible.

Electric Hobo fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 28, 2020

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Hey I finished painting my first dude just now! Gonna re read some tips and focus up more on my next two but it feels nice to have one under my belt!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

One down, 11 more to go! I am really happy with how this dude turned out. This figure is from the game Conquest: the Last Argument of Kings. I have no idea how good this table top game is, what the rules are, or anything like that. I saw these guys on Miniature Market, thought they looked awesome, and impulse bought them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Finished a Nolzur's Young Green Dragon. Tried some wet blending with mixed results, but happy with him!

Now for the T-rex.