Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
MGS2 is way more fun and has a better story than mgs3 is probably my most controversial one.

Dust2 is good but it's overrated. And definitely overplayed. People acting like it's second coming of Jesus in map form

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

American gamers always have this raging boner for super metroid, but I never really got what people love so much about it, I like the setting and ridley and kraid but as a run 'n gun shooter i don't like it very much and so i never get far before i give up

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I just tried making myself play Super Metroid again and I still cant stand it, its awful to play for me. Something about the controls are just awful and Metroid Prime is the only one of that franchise I unreservedly like.

Minish Cap is fine, its perfectly fine. Its got Zelda in the title and it plays fine so at the time it reviewed amazingly but thats pretty much it. It also came out super, super late in the GBA's lifespan and I feel like that hurt it too as even though it was back compatible people were basically already moving onto the DS or even PSP immediately after it released.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
When you get the end of Metroid, it turns out Samus is a woman!!!!

This constituted an exciting plot twist in tyool 1987.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Mighta been because I played Fusion a bunch as a teenager, but Super Metroid was really hard to get into. Somehow the controls were a lot more of a pain to use. I beat it, but don't really feel like replaying it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Hollow Knight is the best metroidvania. The map system is good and contributes to the game's atmosphere. It is not a soulslike.

signalnoise posted:

Previously, I stated that Gabriel Belmont was a good character design. Well, I beat Castlevania: Lords of Shadow last night, and I dunno why it got good scores if people actually finished the game. It starts meh and then gets cool for a bit in the middle and then it becomes increasingly repetitive and then the second to last enemy in the game is a boss fight that is nothing but Uncharted-style climbing and everything after that is the worst plot twisting I've ever seen, and I watched The Village.

I enjoyed that game at the time, it was a straightforward God of War clone but I liked pretty mucvh everything about it better. But that entire genre is incredibly tired at this point so I doubt I'd enjoy replaying it. Lords of Shadow 2 tried to go more nonlinear/open world and ended up just being a confusing mess.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 26, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

I just tried making myself play Super Metroid again and I still cant stand it, its awful to play for me. Something about the controls are just awful and Metroid Prime is the only one of that franchise I unreservedly like.

Minish Cap is fine, its perfectly fine. Its got Zelda in the title and it plays fine so at the time it reviewed amazingly but thats pretty much it. It also came out super, super late in the GBA's lifespan and I feel like that hurt it too as even though it was back compatible people were basically already moving onto the DS or even PSP immediately after it released.

Metroid Fusion was more fun to pick up and play than Super Metroid.

Why did I think Minish Cap was on GBC until right now? I have it weirdly confused with the Oracle games.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
civilization is so loving boring id rather grind my dick in a cheese grater

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

food court bailiff posted:

way of the samurai owns super hard though? idk it’s so up front about what it is and why that I think calling it two hours long is a weird and kind of useless metric

Oh I'm not saying Way of Samurai is bad. I'm just saying if players had a choice between a short game with multiple paths and a long game with a single path, they'd more often than not take the latter.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Dust2 is good but it's overrated. And definitely overplayed. People acting like it's second coming of Jesus in map form

CS_Office is the best Counter-Strike map anyway. DE_Nuke in 1.6 is by far the most underrated.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 26, 2020

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

2.5D is a terrible aesthetic and 2D is always better

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

punk rebel ecks posted:

Oh I'm not saying Way of Samurai is bad. I'm just saying if players had a choice between a short game with multiple paths and a long game with a single path, they'd more often than not take the latter.

As the failure of Alpha Protocol shows. Though I feel like that also came out around when “YOUR CHOICES MATTER but not really” games were over saturating the market so it didn’t seem like it would actually be nearly that reactive.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

As the failure of Alpha Protocol shows. Though I feel like that also came out around when “YOUR CHOICES MATTER but not really” games were over saturating the market so it didn’t seem like it would actually be nearly that reactive.

To be fair Alpha Protocol had a fair share of problems. Including terrible gunplay and a lot of bugs. The game only got a cult following after it was on sale for $2 on that one Steam sale.

Again, branch pathing doesn't have to doom a game to failure as we see with The Witcher 2 and Shin Megami Tensei IV, but it seldom pays off when weighing out the cost.

Shibawanko posted:

I will never understand this. 2.5D always looks worse than actual 2D. Arc System Works titles come close though. Sprites with 3D models in the background can look good ala Marvel vs Capcom 2, but even then that is rare.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

punk rebel ecks posted:

To be fair Alpha Protocol had a fair share of problems. Including terrible gunplay and a lot of bugs. The game only got a cult following after it was on sale for $2 on that one Steam sale.

I’ve been cheerleading that game for 10 years dammit! It’s not perfect but it’s still basically the only thing that does what it does.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

punk rebel ecks posted:

CS_Office is the best Counter-Strike map anyway. DE_Nuke in 1.6 is by far the most underrated.

Mirage sucks and I don't know why everyone loves it so much.

Same with dust2. The t shot down mid is loving terrible design.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

charity rereg posted:

The only good Civilization was Civ 5 where they dropped all pretense and just made a board game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

The only good Civilization was Civ 5 where they dropped all pretense and just made a board game.

the best civ game is Civilization: The Board Game: The computer game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swhoOyHmb0I

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the best civ was alpha centauri

all downhill from that point

e: comedy "Civ: CtP" option

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Excelzior posted:

the best civ was alpha centauri

all downhill from that point

e: comedy "Civ: CtP" option

Alpha centauri was poo poo, through the ages is a much, much better game.

Also the best thing brian reynolds made was a really good VASSAL module for For the People.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

charity rereg posted:

i get how some people can find it boring. it's a long board game with complicated numbers a human brain wouldn't like to crunch so a computer does it, some people are into that and some folks aren't

me i play on marathon and then sim city life

punk rebel ecks posted:

it did gain cult status but ive been a true believer since i played it a couple months after it came out. it was fun, you can dig really deep into the lore, and you could get various outcomes and find obvious types of solutions to problems. stick binary domain's controls and upgrade system on there and you would have a pretty good game!

doughfaced michael thorton and xbox 360 realism-style assets make it hard to replay now

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 27, 2020

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

should I go back and try to beat smt IV (original not apocalypse) or soul hackers

tbh I was kinda digging soul hackers more

Barudak
May 7, 2007

should I go back and try to beat smt IV (original not apocalypse) or soul hackers

SMTIV's true ending is locked behind some obtusery that most likely you already unknowingly screwed up so just play soul hackers

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

SMTIV is incredible so I'd usual recommend that, but if you like Souls Hackers more you can finish that to. Just a bit of warning, Soul Hackers is a port of a 90s JRPG, not a remake.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Barudak posted:

SMTIV's true ending is locked behind some obtusery that most likely you already unknowingly screwed up
You can always check your alignment in bars so as long as you're not too late in the game there's a way to bounce back by suddenly becoming a total douche and making bar trips to recheck after every mission

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Barudak posted:

I thought Super Metroid held up when I replayed it about 5 years ago

But Hollow Knight really blows it out of the water

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

punk rebel ecks posted:

SMTIV is incredible so I'd usual recommend that, but if you like Souls Hackers more you can finish that to. Just a bit of warning, Soul Hackers is a port of a 90s JRPG, not a remake.

oh I’m very aware, but the 90s hacker punk aesthetic really grabbed me

idk, I don’t feel like I’m very far in either, like the astronomy lab or something in SH and just after Medusa when the game opens up in IV

you guys also made me check and I apparently totally have hollow knight on the switch where I would actually play it, tempted to try that

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hollow Knight is not the worst game in its genre but its absolutely a game I cant bring myself to like and quit somewhere around getting the very, very boring dash power up

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Barudak posted:

Hollow Knight is not the worst game in its genre but its absolutely a game I cant bring myself to like and quit somewhere around getting the very, very boring dash power up

Yeah I have it in my library and just installed it to see if I like it yet and still nope

Minish Cap and Yoshi’s Island are the only GBA games I bought and coincidentally the best (logged hundreds of hours on each for full completion and full completion at low single digit deaths for Yoshi) but they’re not the kind of games I would have played if they weren’t handheld

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Hollow Knight was boring. Dropped it after a few hours.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

I thought Super Metroid held up when I replayed it about 5 years ago

But Hollow Knight really blows it out of the water

It’s not that Super Metroid is bad or had aged super hard, it’s just that the genre standouts in the last 10 years are insanely polished.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Hollow Knight it one of the most overrated games in recent history. It has a really bland and boring map. Pretty pictures but its covered with rooms that are basically flat with two platforms. The regular enemies are really boring to fight, and the bosses are just rote pattern recognition. I guess its aesthetic is cool if you're 14 and like deviantart and cute spooky stuff. Its design seems to reference Dark Souls with no rhyme or reason for its inclusion, just for an attempt at legitimacy I guess. The part where you have to go around and collect a bunch of glowing dreamcatchers is egregiously bad padding.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It’s just also hard for the point of being hard. The bosses have a stack of health and no health bars. You just fight for ages with no way to tell if you’re having any effect. Marrying a cute spooky goth look to high difficulty is weird. At least Dark Souls looks threatening.

It’s pretty funny they copy and pasted the story from Dark Souls and just changed it to bugs.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

swords and armor sure are some dark souls references

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

when you die you drop all your souls and then you gotta go pick them up again without dying, thats just the most obvious one, except in dark souls its fun and serves the gameplay and in hollow knight its just kinda there, and annoying.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Honestly that particular mechanic is ubiquitous enough now that I don't consider it a Dark Souls thing anymore.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

swords and armor sure are some dark souls references

The souls / currency system is the same, the lore is scattered everywhre (mostly in NPCs who are losing it), a massive interconnected world that's dying, you die and go back to the bench/bonfire. They even throw around "Abyss" and "Hollow" the same amount.

You show up in a dying kingdom that's been abandoned and your base slowly fills out with vague strangers. Two of the key goals are to reach the highest and lowest points in the map. After killing the demigod bsoses you sacrifice yourself to change things (maybe?)

Also there's not really swords or armor in HK.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

you really have to be either blind or fooling yourself if you don't see that Hollow Knight was completely a product of "Hey this souls thing is cool, lets make a metroidvania thing out of it, how about we use, uhhh, bugs"

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ah gently caress! a bug got in the photocopier! actually, fellas ...

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Shibawanko posted:

There is a few games that pull it off, but they are rare and 2.5D exist since the mid/late 90s.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Dewgy posted:

My unpopular opinion is I think Knight is fantastic, better than City, but not as good as Asylum.

Same here, I replayed both Asylum and City. Then I finally tackled knight. Knight is the better game(as in moment to moment gameplay) but city had a better story and Asylum was a more focus experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mind the walrus posted:

I remember getting into that realising the interface is almost literally a Fischer-Price toy, with the big colour-coded circle buttons and everything. And I mean that in a GOOD way- it made it super easy to understand what's going on and keep track of things, especially compared to how granular and opaque VI is.