Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Chichevache posted:

GhadaffiStomper58

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

iirc he was a nazi because that was the only way he could get funding.

same

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

maffew buildings posted:

look it is literally impossible to get this rocket technology without it coming from a nazi, it just won't happen otherwise, it has to be a nazi

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I always read Wahhabism as “whataboutism” and it really throws me off.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Blind Rasputin posted:

I always read Wahhabism as “whataboutism” and it really throws me off.

Whataboutwahhabism?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Wow the Pet Shop Boys are still releasing new material and also really don't know how to read a room months-long global lockdown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAXGhYLVXXs

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

McNally posted:

This sure is a post.

Yeah, I'm just gonna go ahead and volunteer myself a day off. Von Braun was a poo poo person and I was mainly remembering rose lensed americana about beating the ruskies at something and we glanced over a lot of war crimes in general to win a pissing match, then abandoning it. We would have gotten to the moon without him and rocketry would have advanced without his influence. It's more that he was that figure for his cause that got us to where we are now, doomed to be locked to our own planet because Elon wants to line the skies with internet satellites. Also not a good thing. I mean, from a world burning entertainment view, sure, crank that acceleration dial up, but I'm told not to take joy in our own self driven demise so yeah. Who knows, without him or nazi influence, we may not have gotten to the moon until Carter. We could have had disco fever to the moon.

I don't know why I threw the nuke part in there, I hadn't smoked yet. Not trying to argue my own stupidity there.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I think Braun was more Nazi than you guys think.
He still wore Nazi poo poo when he worked at NASA.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

bulletsponge13 posted:

I've heard that before, but only as random internet hearsay. Do you have a source for that?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

bulletsponge13 posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna want a source on this too.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

McNally posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna want a source on this too.

Maybe he wore a tan jacket once or twice.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/MikenzieFrost/status/1254425627467415552?s=20

Bell's Two Hearted is a great go-to anytime it is available

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I don't know if some doggone moto scribe is keeping an archive of the more memorable Current Events threads, but April 2020 is one for the books

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Eason the Fifth posted:

I don't know if some doggone moto scribe is keeping an archive of the more memorable Current Events threads, but April 2020 is one for the books

Just wait until Meltdown May

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Alright I'm gonna stick my dick in the von Braun blender because why not

I think that at absolute best, von Braun was a brilliant man who sold his soul to achieve his dreams. You can waffle about the morality or foresight of the decisions that initially tied his rocketry work to the Nazi government, but there is no changing the fact that his later V2 rockets were being built by slave labor in utterly horrific conditions under his watch, and no amount of postwar justifications or excuses from von Braun or his supporters can change that. He certainly wasn't the worst person in the Nazi government, but that is such a hilariously low bar to clear it's currently resting in the earth's mantle.

As to his overall role in the space program... it's hard to say. von Braun wasn't NASA, but he was certainly influential in the direction that NASA ultimately took. It was von Braun that pushed Eisenhower to use military rockets for the early space program (The initial attempts being civilian-designed rockets that exploded in very public and embarrassing failures), and he constantly pushed for bigger rockets and broader goals. He played a instrumental part in the shape the Apollo Program took, and whether that would have happened without him, and whether we would have made it to the moon... those are legitimate questions.

I think if there's any lessons to be taken from von Braun, it's a cautionary tale of the costs of ambition, and the dark paths "scientific progress" can lead if it involves tying yourself to the worst people and the worst goals imaginable. And that even if later on their expertise can be used for better things, that legacy is always going to be tainted by their previous associations.

but with that being said NASA wasn't 'all nazi scientists' that's loving ridiculous, von Braun and the rest of his team played a big role but NASA at its peak was a loving huge program, and calling them all nazis is absolutely making GBS threads on the hard work and effort of tens of thousands of men and women from across the country, who all helped to drive in one of the greatest scientific and engineering accomplishments in mankind's history.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

It's an AI generated meme

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

BigDave posted:

Whataboutwahhabism?

Sam Harris, is that you?

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 26, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Robert Goddard deserves more credit. The USA had a pretty good pedigree of rocket scientists without the Germans help.

What do you call someone who chased their dreams while building rockets for the Nazi's?

A Nazi.

If Von Braun was less of a military asset either for the USA or just not to let the USSR have him, I am reasonably confident he would have gotten shot behind some building by the Russians or hung at Nuremberg. He was valuable enough not to kill. Beyond that, yeah sure things worked better (or just faster) for us with him on our side but I haven't seen much evidence of some change of heart by him that means he's deserving of any sort of redemption. Maybe he did apologize, change his views, try to make amends. Did he?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That Works posted:

Robert Goddard deserves more credit. The USA had a pretty good pedigree of rocket scientists without the Germans help.

What do you call someone who chased their dreams while building rockets for the Nazi's?

A Nazi.

If Von Braun was less of a military asset either for the USA or just not to let the USSR have him, I am reasonably confident he would have gotten shot behind some building by the Russians or hung at Nuremberg. He was valuable enough not to kill. Beyond that, yeah sure things worked better (or just faster) for us with him on our side but I haven't seen much evidence of some change of heart by him that means he's deserving of any sort of redemption. Maybe he did apologize, change his views, try to make amends. Did he?

If Donitz wasn’t shot, Von Braun certainly would not have been.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Doc Hawkins posted:

we may have helped a bunch of nazis escape justice but on the other hand we used them to get people to the moon on time so there's no way to know whether it was good or bad

Mostly we used them to hang the Sword of Damocles over the world, the space program was just PR for ICBMs.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Mostly we used the to hang the Sword of Damocles over the world, the space program was just PR for ICBMs.

Nah that's not quite the case. We ended up using ICBMs for a large part of the early space program (Thanks to von Braun, funnily enough), but the goal of the space program was to promote American leadership and scientific progress to the world, especially in contrast to the Soviets. Basically a very big, very ostentatious promotion of the value of free, democratic society, and the benefits of allying with the US during the Cold War (Which of course the Soviets did as well on their side of the Iron Curtain, promoting their successes as proof of their superior system).

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Christopher Hitchens, is that you?

Yes, it is I, Christopher Hitchens! I was successfully raised from the dead with the unholy power of David Cameron's taint sweat and Johnny Walker Black!

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Mostly we used them to hang the Sword of Damocles over the world, the space program was just PR for ICBMs.

I'm surprised nobody has nuked the moon yet.

But now that I think about it, putting a nuclear bomb in a cold war era rocket is probably not a great idea.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

But now that I think about it, putting a nuclear bomb in a cold war era rocket is probably not a great idea.

How many not great ideas are armed and ready to go right now?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

A Bad Poster posted:

Cold War era is all the ICBMs.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

A Bad Poster posted:

I'm sure you will be happy to know there was indeed a plan to nuke the moon, that got called off for being stupid.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Since we're all basically talking about nobles today, the president has joined in

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/1254480130715549696?s=19

the tweet will not be long for this earth, so I have to make a permalink to our big, wet president's take on our cherished nobles. Edit: OH MY GOD HE GOT IT WRONG IN THREE STRAIGHT TWEETS

Edit2: OH MY GOD HE STILL CAN'T SPELL HAMBURGER

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/1254474995603996673?s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 26, 2020

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wut.

How did Russia make the news all the sudden?

And aren’t we the other side? What the gently caress?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Since we're all basically talking about nobles today, the president has joined in

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/1254480130715549696?s=19

the tweet will not be long for this earth, so I have to make a permalink to our big, wet president's take on our cherished nobles. Edit: OH MY GOD HE GOT IT WRONG IN THREE STRAIGHT TWEETS

Edit2: OH MY GOD HE STILL CAN'T SPELL HAMBURGER

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/1254474995603996673?s=19

Working hard, thanks! DJT having to shitpost since he can't go play golf on Sunday certainly is something

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hell, some people reenlist

lmfao

this hits home :smith:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hamberder

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

LingcodKilla posted:

And aren’t we the other side? What the gently caress?

He isn't

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It's a distraction, keep pressing him on the pandemic

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Anything to demean.... says the guy making fun of disabled people.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

EBB posted:

It's a distraction, keep pressing him on the pandemic

It's almost meltdown may...

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

PeterCat posted:

Cold War era is all the ICBMs.

Up until Saturn yeah. Redstone/Atlas/Titan/Jupiter were all IRBM/ICBMs.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'm sure you will be happy to know there was indeed a plan to nuke the moon, that got called off for being stupid.

IIRC one of the reasons for calling it off was that they weren't confident they could hit the moon with the current rockets, and they didn't want a nuclear bomb to boomerang back around and hit us in the face like Wile E. Coyote.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Speaking of nazis and our military

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/26/us/justin-rohrwasser-tattoo-trnd/index.html

cnn fake news outlet posted:

New England Patriots rookie kicker Justin Rohrwasser said Saturday he will cover up a controversial tattoo he got as a teenager.
The tattoo on his left arm resembles the symbol of a right-wing group called "The Three Percenters."
"I got that tattoo when I was a teenager and I have a lot of family in the military," Rohrwasser said on a conference call with reporters.
"I thought it stood for a military support symbol at the time," Rohrwasser said. "Obviously, it's evolved into something that I do not want to represent."

"When I look back on it, I should have done way more research before I put any mark or symbol like that on my body, and it's not something I ever want to represent," the 23-year-old said. "It will be covered."

Covered. Not removed. Funny that.

If you think military support symbolism is a nazi symbol, maybe the people you know in the military are nazis

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Also just loving serve instead of getting what you think is a moto tattoo. So dumb and i don’t believe him. Hopefully the other teams won’t either. Have fun at the bottom of the piles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Are the threepers explicit white nationalists? I thought they were pretty mainstream right wing gun nuts. Just a bunch of rednecks really into operator cosplay, right? Then again they're homegrown in the intermountain west, so probably mostly neonazi

maybe I'm confusing them with the oathkeepers

who can keep all the brownshirts straight anymore

LingcodKilla posted:

Also just loving serve instead of getting what you think is a moto tattoo.

lol yeah

if you support it so much join the national guard ya big baby