Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/Kyle_MacLachlan/status/1250052753642139650

Kyle's drat good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7hlDrLgKHQ

Hi guys! I just wanted to share this video from a cool channel I like on youtube. She does some pretty darn interesting analyses of Lynch's stuff (as well as other things) and though I may not agree 100% with everything she says, I always find her stuff very intriguing and entertaining to watch. It's a cut above your average "what's this crazy poo poo mean anyway?" Lynch video on youtube, in part because she's not interesting in finding definitive answers or staid explanations for what is literally happening - there's a staggering number of vids like that, it seems, that miss at least half of the point.

In this series, she looks at 9 of Lynch's feature films - She starts with Eraserhead (this is the only one done so far) and then Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire, and Twin Peaks gets 3 entries: first two seasons, FWWM, and The Return. Oh, and Dumbland! The youtube descriptions might make it sound a bit, er... "woke"-ish? Not that this is bad, per se. She is looking at the films through the lens of postmodernism and feminist theory, and frankly... Well, the truth is that both are really important aspects in his work, you know? And I think there is a lot of raw material to mine in Lynch's work when viewed through that lens.

Lynch is also interesting because I always felt that he was sort of... making and remaking or re-imagining the "same film" when it came down to a number of themes and motifs and plot similarities. FWWM, Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire, Twin Peaks: The Return... Those five films are (IMO) all kinda linked/intertwined with one another in all KINDS of ways.

And I think after episode 8, it's sort of impossible to deny that Twin Peaks has been and will always be a totally post-modern show in its DNA. It's sort of funny - before I watched this video I did not know the precisely what "post-modernism" was, even though I've used the word (correctly) many times I had never specifically looked it up, and hearing it strictly defined it's almost shocking how much it fits Twin Peaks' MO to a T.

I've probably ranted uh way too much.. well, give it a shot and see what you think, if you don't like the person's voice or the ideas its not like you HAVE to watch it... I just think some people here might appreciate it.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 15, 2020

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Episode 12: Let's Rock :rock:

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Ignore the strange man :classiclol:

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sarah Palmer freaking the gently caress out at the grocery store

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

Sarah Palmer freaking the gently caress out at the grocery store

Those teenagers crack me up.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"It's a goddamn bad story, isn't it Hawk?"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

lmao, I love how David Lynch just had to insert this scene of him hanging out with a hot French girl.

e: This extended scene

e2: Albert is having NONE of Gordon's poo poo hahaha

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 19, 2020

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

She'll turnip eventually!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

*murders warden in front of his kid*

NEXT STOP WENDY'S!

e: Oh poo poo, it's the first time Audrey shows up in season 3!

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 19, 2020

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Ayy there's Audrey!

Rageaholic posted:

*murders warden in front of his kid*

NEXT STOP WENDY'S!

I love that pair so much :lmao:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So are Billy and Tina and Paul staff at the mental facility Audrey's in?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Still blows me away that the season is so packed that it always catches me by surprise when I realize Audrey hasn't shown up until this point.

The Sarah Palmer scenes just fill me with so much dread, and somehow it's that sound of rattling pans(?) in the background of her supposedly empty house that REALLY gently caress with my head. The supermarket freakout, as eerie as it is, feels more grounded in reality, perhaps because I've seen that type of thing happen before in a retail setting.

A really lovely moment I dug in this episode was Ben's pained but sadly not surprised expression and the moment he took to gather himself when Frank tells him that Richard killed the little kid. You can see he's deeply disappointed and saddened by it, but also that he's probably been waiting to be told this type of thing for a long time now.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I still remember the feeling of "holy poo poo it's Audrey" shortly followed by "what the gently caress is this scene" :allears:

We were talking about Twin Peaks actors appearing elsewhere a few days ago. I'm making my way through Star Trek TNG and guess what:

it's only Ray Wise as a bronze age Vulcan, innit, very slightly pre-Twin Peaks.

(in an episode that also features a character named Palmer and old Ray himself almost becomes a murderer because he believes he's contacted a higher power)

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

David Lynch did an interview with Hollywood Reporter today, and it's one of the loveliest news stories I've come across in a while :unsmith: I promise only a small portion plugs TM and I will mark it as such.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/how-im-living-now-david-lynch-director-1290834

quote:

The auteur has been productive in quarantine, working on various art projects for what he anticipates will be the long haul: “I don’t really think I can make a film until there’s a vaccine.”

With production grinding to a halt in the face of the novel coronavirus, the entertainment industry has found itself navigating uncharted territory. To offer a better sense for how, The Hollywood Reporter is running a regular series that focuses on how Hollywood's writers, actors, directors, executives and others are living and working in these challenging times.

If the empty streets of America have taken on a distinctly Lynchian feel during lockdown, David Lynch himself hasn’t noticed. The writer-director of such eerie art house classics as Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive and whose Twin Peaks: The Return on Showtime earned nine Emmy nominations in 2018 has been holed up inside his Hollywood studio during the COVID-19 crisis, busying himself with painting, music and film projects. He credits his positive state of mind to his longtime Transcendental Meditation practice; his David Lynch Foundation is now bringing TM to stressed health care workers with an initiative called Heal the Healers Now.

-------

How are you adjusting to the current situation?

Very well. I like isolation.

Lockdown is not all that different from your day-to-day life?

No. It’s very nice and I’ve got so many different projects that I can work on solo, so it’s not a problem for me.

Have there been any challenges?

No. So far it’s really nice.

Do the empty streets remind you of any of your films?

I can imagine it in my mind’s eye, but I haven’t been out. I haven’t left the house and I’ve just been inside working on projects.

~TM ADVERTISEMENT WARNING~
If someone is having a harder time with self-isolation, what could they do to cope better?

We’ve got this interior world and if it’s filled with fear and tension and worries, if they really want to clean the machine of negative things and bring in the gold, they need to get this technique — Transcendental Meditation. [It allows you] to dive within and transcend and experience the treasury within every human being, which is intelligence, creativity, peace, love, energy, happiness. They can get it in four days, about an hour and a half a day, from a legitimate teacher of TM and life will get so good.

Can people access TM courses now while in lockdown?

You need a legitimate teacher and the initial teaching is one-on-one. So you could be six or eight feet from the teacher at all times and learn this technique during this time of staying away from people. I know it’s a tricky thing to say, "Go out and get this now," but it’s there for them and they can get it.
~END TM ADVERTISEMENT~

Where do you envision humanity going after the COVID-19 crisis?

I don’t know how it’s going to unfold, but I think Mother Nature is playing a big role in what’s going on. They say from the satellite pictures they see things are way cleaner in the world, because people aren’t out polluting so much. And it’s a quieter, peaceful, cleaner, friendlier world, in a way. I think that people are going to come out of this different than they went in. There are many people that want to go back to work now, and I don’t think it’s going to be that easy. I think this is going to last long enough to kind of instill a change in people. And I think on the other side it’s going to be more spiritual, kinder, friendlier, more caring for one another, very exciting for inventions and cures for problems. And it’s going to come out to be a really, really great world.

Has the lockdown affected production on any of your projects?

The lockdown stopped all kinds of work that involves other people. It forces us to go to something that we can do on our own. Like, I’m experimenting with music. I can experiment with any kind of motion picture I can do on the computer. And I can work in the wood shop and build things. I can go to the painting studio and paint. You can’t work on a film right now and I think for a long time, we won’t be able to work with a big crew in a normal way of filmmaking. It’s just too dangerous right now. It’s really something to think about. I don’t really think I can make a film until there’s a vaccine.

I heard whispers you are working on a secret TV show for Netflix?

There’s all kinds of rumors. I’ve got a show called What Did Jack Do? on Netflix right now. It’s a great show about a monkey. It’s something you’ve got to see. And it will really help you in quarantine.

And the other show?

All these rumors are flying about, but I can tell you that there’s nothing happening in that regard.

OK, so the rumors are false.

It’s a rumor that even if it was true — there’s nothing happening.

This week they released a few photos from the new big-screen adaptation of Dune by Denis Villeneuve. Have you seen them?

I have zero interest in Dune.

Why’s that?

Because it was a heartache for me. It was a failure and I didn’t have final cut. I’ve told this story a billion times. It’s not the film I wanted to make. I like certain parts of it very much — but it was a total failure for me.

You would never see someone else’s adaptation of Dune?

I said I’ve got zero interest.

If you had your choice, what would you rather make: a feature film or a TV series?

A TV series. Right now. feature films in my book are in big trouble, except for the big blockbusters. The art house films, they don’t stand a chance. They might go to a theater for a week and if it’s a Cineplex they go to the smallest theater in the setup, and then they go to Blu-ray or On Demand. The big-screen experience right now is gone. Gone, but not forgotten.

What about the glamour of Cannes, bringing Mulholland Drive there and posing for the photo calls?

It’s beautiful. Cannes is, you know, just a fantastic venue. But [Cannes director] Thierry [Frémaux] told me that the screen is actually smaller than it was then. I think Mulholland Drive played on this [smaller] size screen. But Wild at Heart in 1990, when I got the Palme d’Or, the screen was bigger and the room was built on analog sound. So Wild at Heart was full-coat mag [magnetic film] on a double system and the power! Smooth, smooth power. That was unreal. A giant screen with smooth, giant sound. Power. Visual and sound at the maximum good.

Is making another feature film out of the question?

No, you never say no to anything, really. But I really love a continuing story, and cable television I say is the new art house. You have total freedom. The sound isn’t as good as a great theater; the picture isn’t as big — but TVs are getting bigger and bigger and better and better, so there’s hope. And then you have this chance for a continuing story, so it’s the new art house, I say.

With some distance between you and Twin Peaks: The Return, how are you feeling about it?

Twin Peaks: The Return, it’s gold.

Awww, I love how he is optimistic about all of this! Especially because Twin Peak: The Return feels like such a pessimistic take on the current state of things - not that I disagreed, really. I find it great news that he feels good may come of this all, because I do value his opinion.

All in all, I just thought this was an especially good and amusing interview, more than worth posting. I love that whenever I read a Lynch interview, my brain translates his words in the form of Gordon Cole's voice shouting inside my skull. It's always quite fun.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 20, 2020

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

he is just a really cool dude

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

kaworu posted:

David Lynch did an interview with Hollywood Reporter today, and it's one of the loveliest news stories I've come across in a while :unsmith: I promise only a small portion plugs TM and I will mark it as such.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/how-im-living-now-david-lynch-director-1290834

Awww, I love how he is optimistic about all of this! Especially because Twin Peak: The Return feels like such a pessimistic take on the current state of things - not that I disagreed, really. I find it great news that he feels good may come of this all, because I do value his opinion.

All in all, I just thought this was an especially good and amusing interview, more than worth posting. I love that whenever I read a Lynch interview, my brain translates his words in the form of Gordon Cole's voice shouting inside my skull. It's always quite fun.
:love::love::love:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I do prefer to see films with visual and sound at the maximum good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

David Lynch posted:

Twin Peaks: The Return, it’s gold.

I hereby declare the Resurrection of the Author, because his take is clearly the correct one :hellyeah:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Twin Peaks was always cool.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

That interview was really nice.

Twin Peaks: The Return is indeed gold.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Thanks guys, I am very glad you all liked it as much as I did :keke:

So guys, tonight we are watching Episode 13: WHAT STORY IS THAT, CHARLIE?

Is that the story of the little girl who lived down the lane? Is it?!

I'm on the west coast now and a little detached from God's Own Time Zone, I just am usually cooking and/or eating dinner at 9PM most nights and it just doesn't work for me quite so well as midnight on the east coast; ah well. I do love this episode though, so I'm just gonna say my piece....

It's not a monumental episode, but it's actually got several of my absolute favorite scenes and moments. I find Audrey's scene absolutely fascinating in this episode, partially because it's still very mysterious and hard to deconstruct or dissect. The line I quoted was and/or will be repeated by The Arm, and it's hard to deny that it holds a GREAT deal of significance.

As best I can figure... "The story of the little girl who lived down the lane" refers, literally, to Twin Peaks -well, specifically, Laura Palmer's story in Twin Peaks and perhaps more significantly FWWM. And I think... The question, asking whether or not IT IS the story of the little girl who lived down the lane - that refers to what Cooper did. After he makes the change, Twin Peaks ceases to be the story of the girl down the lane.

Audrey seems DEEPLY distraught and upset when she asks this question of Charlie, and pay close attention to how he answers.. "Do I have to end your story too?" Now, this is fascinating to me, because the implied answer is that it is NOT the story of the girl who lived down the lane - it WAS, and now it isn't. This is why Charlie answers the way he does; within his answer it is implied that the ''Story of the little girl who lived down the lane" was once a thing that existed, but has now been somehow ended or stopped - Charlie seems to imply that he might be able to do something similar to what Cooper did? Charlie must be somehow associated with the lodge, based on that dialogue.

edit: sorry I hit the post button by accident, me and my sloppy/clumsy typing, plus little chiclet laptop keyboards suck and my hands are too big and my fingers too long.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 26, 2020

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aww yeah, the arm wrestling scene :c00l:

"What is this, kindergarten?"

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 26, 2020

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

The big TV :lmao:

e: Starting positions. :hai:

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 26, 2020

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"That bad, huh?" :lol:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"I feel like I'm somewhere else and like I'm somebody else."

Oh Audrey :ohdear:

e: "It's like Ghostwood here."

Also oh god, this is the one where James plays Just You & I at the Roadhouse lmao

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 26, 2020

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

"It's like Ghostwood here." :raise:

Hahaha I'd forgotten about the James concert

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

El Jeffe posted:

Hahaha I'd forgotten about the James concert
That woman tearing up at James' off-key singing is amazing hahahaha

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Big Ed's reflection still eating even though he set the cup down :stare: spooky

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

El Jeffe posted:

Big Ed's reflection still eating even though he set the cup down :stare: spooky

When the episode first aired, that filled me with such a terrible sense of dread. I was convinced that the whole cast of "Twin Peaks" was gonna end up being part of the Black Lodge storyline, something bad was gonna happen to Ed; etc. I'm glad it didn't go that way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There's just something so deeply depressing about Big Ed eating alone in his little gas farm in the middle of the night as cars whiz by outside :smith:

I love how wildly different the Charlie/Audrey scene in this episode is to the last one. The dynamic has completely flipped and he's not just firmly in control (as opposed to beleaguered in the previous episode), there feels like an active menace coming off of him. Audrey is so unanchored, you can sense the desperation emanating off of her like waves and it is really something given not only how different it was to her performance in the last episode but also of course when you consider just how massively confident and self-assured she was in seasons 1 & 2.

On a brighter note, as much as I enjoyed the Mr. C scenes after his recent absence, there's something so wholesomely hilarious about Sinclair being continually astounded by how much Dougie "knows", and Bushnell's continual references to how active Dougie has been in uncovering everything :allears:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That fuckin casino music when the Mitchums/girls/Dougie are dancing through the office, god drat it just defies description

Also I love that they just give Bushnell diamonds and cars as a thank-you, every "avoid even the appearance of conflict of interest or quid pro quo, anything beyond a $100 gift card is not permissible" corporate training video maker is banging their head against the table

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 26, 2020

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Quote(s) of the week(s)
"You're not gonna tell me what he said?!" (Audrey)
"Charlie help me. It's like Ghostwood here." (Audrey)

Sarah Palmer's scenes this season are hard to watch. In season two, it still seemed like people were there for her. Now it's only Hawk who still feebly tries to help. She's got no one left. Really, I can't even imagine how it would feel to have your life robbed of meaning so suddenly and conclusively.

One really interesting aspect of Bushnell and Dougie interrogating Anthony is that it has a lot in common with the interrogation of Ernie Niles by Denise and Cooper back in season two. Both involve a really weepy witness who is forced to do the right thing despite his own cowardice. Bushnell's "I'm not asking" reminds me of Denise's glee at putting Ernie through the wringer. Anthony even seems to rephrase what Gordon said about Denise earlier in the season : "Fix your hearts or die", and "I want to change or die".

The scene with Norma and that sales guy is fairly unremarkable in the grander scheme of things. I do really like that the show somehow still manages to squeeze in a little nod to how Twin Peaks is facing "uphill challenges economically". It's not just Norma who is in financial trouble.

During the Nadine and Jacoby scene, the subtitles pick up something kind of hard to notice. Right at the end, the train horn sounds. I'm like 90% it's the same sound as earlier in the season. A mournful tune for two very lonely people.

Audrey's first scene is, even on rewatch, pretty tough to sit through in a bad way. It's just interminable. Her second scene is so creepy, though. Charlie threatening to end Audrey's story, and her breaking into tears as she says "It's like Ghostwood here" is remarkably unsettling.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

When the episode first aired, that filled me with such a terrible sense of dread. I was convinced that the whole cast of "Twin Peaks" was gonna end up being part of the Black Lodge storyline, something bad was gonna happen to Ed; etc. I'm glad it didn't go that way.

To be honest, I'm not convinced the entire show doesn't take place in the black lodge to some extent. It's kind of a crackpot theory, but I feel like most of the show creates a strange disconnect between places. There is a weird reliance on repeating confined spaces. You rarely see people leave buildings or go from one room to the next. If the walls of Ben Horne's office suddenly lifted away, I wouldn't be surprised at all. It somehow feels disconnected from the location of the hotel, in a way.

Gotta love that James still has the classic setup with two women simultaneously singing "Just you and I" with him. I guess he's somehow amplified the absurdity of the situation by clearly singing the song for a third woman.

kaworu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7hlDrLgKHQ

In this series, she looks at 9 of Lynch's feature films - She starts with Eraserhead (this is the only one done so far) and then Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire, and Twin Peaks gets 3 entries: first two seasons, FWWM, and The Return. Oh, and Dumbland! The youtube descriptions might make it sound a bit, er... "woke"-ish? Not that this is bad, per se. She is looking at the films through the lens of postmodernism and feminist theory, and frankly... Well, the truth is that both are really important aspects in his work, you know? And I think there is a lot of raw material to mine in Lynch's work when viewed through that lens. […]

And I think after episode 8, it's sort of impossible to deny that Twin Peaks has been and will always be a totally post-modern show in its DNA. It's sort of funny - before I watched this video I did not know the precisely what "post-modernism" was, even though I've used the word (correctly) many times I had never specifically looked it up, and hearing it strictly defined it's almost shocking how much it fits Twin Peaks' MO to a T.

The video essay is pretty good, so far. I like the approach, and it seems like a good introduction to postmodern theory. In particular, I'm curious about the aspects of race and satire that she hints at, but doesn't really go into at this stage. Those aspects are not explored as often when it comes to Lynch, so I'm curious which movie she'll choose for each one, and what her argument will look like.

Something I find kind of troublesome is how much the essayist relies on Lynch's biography as evidence for her thesis, both in the introductory video and the Eraserhead one. As the video essayist correctly points out, postmodernism is a movement that essentially rejects the concept of truth, redefining it as a type of narrative. However, one such narrative is the concept of the author.

Claims such as: "This all matters because Lynch was there for all of it. As a child of the 1950s, he lived out the Norman Rockwell painting in real time. But as many kids of his ilk realised, there is something phony and suspicious about it." basically insinuate an identity of art and artist. She not only points out the biographical parallels between Eraserhead's protagonist and Lynch's own poverty as a young father studying in Philadelphia, she even goes so far as to claim that this is what the film is "about". In that context, biographical data is infallible. If you understand the artist, you understand the art.

Almost by default, this approach goes against postmodernism. Michel Foucault, for example, would consider the role of author a position of power. If you take up authorship, you essentially take control and ownership over the art you produce. In doing so, you control what can be said about your art because there is always a "correct" narrative that the author has access to. A lot of poststructuralist philosophy, to which I also count the famous Death of the Author essay by Roland Barthes, therefore does away with this control of the author.

It is contradictory to seek truth in the author's interviews, if you want to be a postmodern critic/scholar. If anything, you should consider the semi-autobiographical films and books Lynch has participated in a type of fiction written by Lynch to control your perception of his art. Lynch is a good storyteller, and I don't think you're gonna get anything out of him that hasn't already been turned into a fun story to some extent. It's highly probable, imo, that he makes himself appear like one of his protagonists on purpose. After all, a lot of people (me included) have a tendency to read his interviews in Gordon Cole's voice.

And More fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 21, 2020

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Data Graham posted:

That fuckin casino music when the Mitchums/girls/Dougie are dancing through the office, god drat it just defies description

:hmmyes:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

And More posted:

Sarah Palmer's scenes this season are hard to watch. In season two, it still seemed like people were there for her. Now it's only Hawk who still feebly tries to help. She's got no one left. Really, I can't even imagine how it would feel to have your life robbed of meaning so suddenly and conclusively.

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me is the movie that plays in Sarah Palmer's head every night before she goes to sleep

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just rewatched Blue Velvet last night, so good. Still one of my favorite movies. Random note, this is the first time I noticed Jeffrey has an earring. Pretty cool. I've even seen BV on the big screen once, this time watched the Criterion version.

Also, not too notable or anything, but the original stereo track sounds really good. This may be the first time I've heard it, since the DVD had 5.1. Somehow the dialogue having less bass on it makes it sound a little better to me or something.

And hats off to every performer in this film. The love letter scene is way too good. And Dean Stockwell really earned the "And Dean Stockwell" in the opening credits.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 30, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There's something about the way he is just kind of "there" with his women and just looks up and calmly notes,"Oh. Frank's here." when he hears the car outside that really stuck with me . Maybe it's the fact Frank is such a terrifying force and yet this guy just seems completely relaxed around him, like he's just some mild curiosity in Ben's wider and somehow more interesting life.

Apparently Stockwell based Ben on Carol Burnett which is quite frankly amazing.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's awesome. For sure, gotta be Dean's best character. As a Stockwell fan I mostly see him in one off episodes of Miami Vice and stuff like that. I've been meaning to see Married to the Mob and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Time for Part 14: We Are Like The Dreamer