Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Recorded a stoner/psych/space rock 4/20 megamix special thingy for my radio show:

https://m.mixcloud.com/TheProgPowerStation/42020-the-progpower-station-up-in-smoke/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Sub Pop remastered TAD’s first album “God’s Balls” and if you like sludgy heavy stuff check it out. Huge improvement over Jack Endino’s original production. It’s on Apple Music - not sure where else

My favorite album of the 1988-90 stretch when Seattle bands hadn’t attracted big label attention yet

A good example of a record cover letting you know what it sounds like

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Keith Atherton posted:

Sub Pop remastered TAD’s first album “God’s Balls” and if you like sludgy heavy stuff check it out. Huge improvement over Jack Endino’s original production. It’s on Apple Music - not sure where else

My favorite album of the 1988-90 stretch when Seattle bands hadn’t attracted big label attention yet

A good example of a record cover letting you know what it sounds like

That's awesome. Tad is so underrated.

Inhaler is my personal favorite.

I went to see Tad back in the day when they were on tour with Soundgarden and Eleven. My buddies and I thought Tad would be the second band that night (and who wouldn't?), so like idiots, we stayed outside in the parking lot drinking beer until we figured the first band was finished playing.

We got into the venue in time for the second band - thinking it'd be Tad - but found out Tad performed first that night. We had no idea Tad and Eleven switched the number two spot every other night on that tour.

I'm still pissed I missed out on seeing Tad live.

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on
I've been super into The Wall redux lately and even bought it on vinyl and it's made me think like, Pink Floyd were super ahead of their time. The main riff throughout the wall is super doomy and you don't really notice it. The second half of the album is also totally ripe for doom bands with the subject matter. Blows my mind.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

unknown butthole posted:

I've been super into The Wall redux lately and even bought it on vinyl and it's made me think like, Pink Floyd were super ahead of their time. The main riff throughout the wall is super doomy and you don't really notice it. The second half of the album is also totally ripe for doom bands with the subject matter. Blows my mind.

That has some solid covers on it for sure. I have a love/hate relationship with the opening track. Melvins totally deliver a blue ball by going hard on that opening riff (and it's doom as gently caress just as you say) before saying "piss off" and breaking into that weird doo waah thing. I guess it fits with the idea of The Wall though?

Also, sort of miffed that the final track doesn't have the outro vocals.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Also, forgot to post this one earlier. Two Minutes to Late Night crew with Chelsea Wolfe and maybe some guy from DEP tackle the stone cold classic "Crazy Train."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnvkhh4PRUM

This is probably more SDS adjacent, but still it's kinda fun ...

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

That's awesome. Tad is so underrated.

Inhaler is my personal favorite.

I went to see Tad back in the day when they were on tour with Soundgarden and Eleven. My buddies and I thought Tad would be the second band that night (and who wouldn't?), so like idiots, we stayed outside in the parking lot drinking beer until we figured the first band was finished playing.

We got into the venue in time for the second band - thinking it'd be Tad - but found out Tad performed first that night. We had no idea Tad and Eleven switched the number two spot every other night on that tour.

I'm still pissed I missed out on seeing Tad live.

I first saw Tad at the Sub Pop Lamefest in June 1989. Mudhoney, Tad, and Nirvana. (Bleach was released that day)

The next summer I saw Soundgarden with Tad and Screaming Trees as the openers. TAD came on stage and Tad Doyle bellowed “DO YOU WANT ME TO BARE-rear end YOU?” Of course the audience went nuts so he dropped his pants

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
8-Way Santa is a classic.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
I recommend Tad’s doom band Brothers of the Sonic Cloth. Saw them at roadburn a few years back, and they absolutely crushed.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I just dont understand why he’s wearing his watch upside down

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Snowy posted:

I just dont understand why he’s wearing his watch upside down

because he knows what time it is

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

ElectricWizard posted:

I recommend Tad’s doom band Brothers of the Sonic Cloth. Saw them at roadburn a few years back, and they absolutely crushed.

I know it's Doyle, but I still keep initially thinking his last name is Timov.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Good for Tad, I’ve never seen community as an option, it’s usually just music or merch

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Brothers of the Sonic Cloth is a rad band name

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Just learned that Tad had a podcast https://taddoyle.podbean.com/

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Clutch played two short sessions live on youtube (one just finished) and plan on doing many more soon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIhWErtLTe8

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

hatelull posted:

Also, forgot to post this one earlier. Two Minutes to Late Night crew with Chelsea Wolfe and maybe some guy from DEP tackle the stone cold classic "Crazy Train."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnvkhh4PRUM

This is probably more SDS adjacent, but still it's kinda fun ...

Her acoustic tour last year was a top shelf show in a year that included Cave Show

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Messa crushing it, check out all both their albums, Belfry, and Feast for Water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx0OGSWB8mc

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
TAD documentary

https://youtu.be/Hj1PvipY6bc

They interview the band members plus a lot of people from the local scene at the time (Mark Arm, Kim Thayil, Krist Novoselic)

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

New Elder is out today. Available for streaming on Spotify.

Probably going to give it a spin later this afternoon when I don't have to be so focused on work.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

hatelull posted:

New Elder is out today. Available for streaming on Spotify.

Probably going to give it a spin later this afternoon when I don't have to be so focused on work.

most of the way through it at work. not bad; not as heavy as i want it to be, but not the krautrock album some people were worried about, either

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

funkybottoms posted:

most of the way through it at work. not bad; not as heavy as i want it to be, but not the krautrock album some people were worried about, either

When they released the first track from the album (Embers) I posted about it in here saying I wasn't really a fan of it, but it has admittedly been growing on me over the last little while, so I do want to give the whole album a shot now that it's out.

Speaking of albums released today, Elephant Tree just dropped their new one, Habits:
https://elephanttreeband.bandcamp.com/album/habits

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
it's a shame that so many Doom records are just hard to find. Is printing vinyl really so expensive? I personally have no idea but albums like Whore by Mephistofeles and Velvet Magic by Devil's Witches have had such limited pressings.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
About $4000 for 300 records before recording costs, in my experience. Usually costs about $16 a record band cost all said, and done.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

unknown butthole posted:

it's a shame that so many Doom records are just hard to find. Is printing vinyl really so expensive? I personally have no idea but albums like Whore by Mephistofeles and Velvet Magic by Devil's Witches have had such limited pressings.

Several hundred records is a reasonable pressing size for newish bands who don't have a huge following.

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
I guess I didn't realize that was typical. Velvet Magic has a total of less than a thousand copies all in all and that just seems bonkers to me. Like, with how many people are on the planet, surely their audience is larger than a thousand people?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

It does seem like there’s plenty of bands who could easily repress and sell a lot of records but I guess either vinyl sales aren’t a priority, they like the exclusivity of limited editions, or don’t feel like mailing out a ton of stuff themselves.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

unknown butthole posted:

I guess I didn't realize that was typical. Velvet Magic has a total of less than a thousand copies all in all and that just seems bonkers to me. Like, with how many people are on the planet, surely their audience is larger than a thousand people?

That specific band has about 4000 likes on facebook, and plenty of those people aren't going to listen to music on vinyl, they'll get it off bandcamp or streaming or wherever. You have to be a relatively famous or established band to sell more than 1000 records, and many labels don't want to press too many because they don't want copies of the thing hanging around for years. The label in question is also relatively small and run along diy lines, so not the sort of outfit that is going to want to invest in a large pressing unless they're 100% certain there's that level of demand and they have the cash to press that many all at once.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
There's also the aspect of a small run having the implicit rarity, which some labels trade on by doing runs significantly smaller than they can afford to do, and then bumping up the price to capitalize on the limited availability. It really sucks when a label like that has an exclusive contract with a good band.

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
well, looks like my collection is gonna take a little longer than I thought, Unless some of these bands I like explode in popularity.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I first heard acid bath like 20 years ago and never gave a poo poo about em despite listening to a ton of other sludge and then tonight it clicked and acid bath fuckin rules hell yeah

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

unknown butthole posted:

well, looks like my collection is gonna take a little longer than I thought, Unless some of these bands I like explode in popularity.

I'm assuming you're familiar with Kozmik Artifactz / Bilocation? They have shitloads of stoner/doom records.

http://shop.bilocationrecords.com/index.php?s=3&lang=eng

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

Hatebag posted:

I first heard acid bath like 20 years ago and never gave a poo poo about em despite listening to a ton of other sludge and then tonight it clicked and acid bath fuckin rules hell yeah

Yeah they were really loving great.

One of my favs still.

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain

Zoben posted:

I'm assuming you're familiar with Kozmik Artifactz / Bilocation? They have shitloads of stoner/doom records.

http://shop.bilocationrecords.com/index.php?s=3&lang=eng

Thank you so much, I didn't know about it and i've already found some stuff i'm looking for.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

homewrecker posted:

Speaking of albums released today, Elephant Tree just dropped their new one, Habits:

This popped up in my streaming recommendations, and I dig it. It has this vibe where there are constant riffs, but it all sort of feels dreamy and airy rather than heavy.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

trem_two posted:

This popped up in my streaming recommendations, and I dig it. It has this vibe where there are constant riffs, but it all sort of feels dreamy and airy rather than heavy.

Yeah it’s like doom you can bring home to meet the parents.

At first I was wondering why there isn’t more like this but then I realized there’s probably tons but it’s not what I look for intentionally.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

unknown butthole posted:

Thank you so much, I didn't know about it and i've already found some stuff i'm looking for.

No prob! I know about Kozmik because I cold-contacted them about doing some art for bands and I totally forgot that I drew the old dude smoking a joint on the front page of their website.

https://kozmik-artifactz.com/

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

homewrecker posted:

Thanks, this is really cool. I dig the doom-post-rock-shoegaze vibe.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Hatebag posted:

check out Agents of Oblivion too there's one album and some demos that are better than the album versions

it's pretty fun to go through Dax Riggs's career trajectory from sludge metal to bluesy rock to indie rock to singer songwriter stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

my bony fealty posted:

check out Agents of Oblivion too there's one album and some demos that are better than the album versions

it's pretty fun to go through Dax Riggs's career trajectory from sludge metal to bluesy rock to indie rock to singer songwriter stuff

I love Dax Riggs and I've been into them since I was a teenager and discovered Acid Bath after reading about them in a METAL MAGAZINE, because I am old

I met him a couple of times at shows and as you'd expect, he's a really cool and chilled-out dude. I was completely starstruck even though he's not like a "superstar" and my buddy was taking pictures of us surreptitiously because he and I were hanging out watching the opening band, and my buddy knew I was all geeking out on the inside. This was when he was doing Deadboy as a two-piece with Tess (who was kind of bitchy, actually).

Anywho, I hate Rotten Records but you can hear some Agents of Oblivion here. Hangman's Daughter is probably my favorite song by them.

https://soundcloud.com/rottenrecords/agents-of-oblivion-the