Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

ultrafilter posted:

Final Fantasy V had a cutscene where a character dies despite people throwing white magic and curative items at them, so yeah, it only works on death and not real death.

nice av and post combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The simplest answer is that people don't always die when they are killed in the final fantasy universe.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I would prefer logical reasons for resurrection, like, phoenix downs only work if they're applied immediately and there was some story reason of why they couldn't apply them (someone stole their phoenix downs or something)

Or "phoenix downs only work if there is a body for the soul to return to" and they couldn't use a phoenix down because they threw the party member into a wood chipper.

Like that.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

They're not dead though! Just knocked out (and in some games after a battle the KOed people have 1hp)

If your whole party gets KOed though it's usually game over, unless you're fighting a bear I guess (I don't know if playing dead actually works this isn't bear country)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

baka kaba posted:

They're not dead though! Just knocked out (and in some games after a battle the KOed people have 1hp)

If your whole party gets KOed though it's usually game over, unless you're fighting a bear I guess (I don't know if playing dead actually works this isn't bear country)

They're knocked out after being hit with Sephiroth's Meteor thingy. #justvideogamelogic

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the meteor is actually a metaphor for capitalism

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

HenryEx posted:

It was originally called Instant Deas, which is commonly known as a "KO" in our world

No, deas has a different cure.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Man, Exapunks is awesome. It starts with hacking highway signs and gets progressively wilder.

IMO, it's the best (also one of the most difficult) Zachtronics game (or the second best after Infinifactory)

Kennel fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 26, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kennel posted:

Man, Exapunks is awesome. It starts with hacking highway signs and gets progressively wilder.

IMO, it's the best (also one of the most difficult) Zachtronics game (or the second best after Infinifactory)

It's so good and I'm sorry it was the first Zachtronics game I played

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Fallom posted:

It's so good and I'm sorry it was the first Zachtronics game I played

I have it installed but haven't played it because I need a printer for the magazine and the shutdown means I'm only in the office one day a week and I forget while I'm there. I do wonder how far I'll get before forgetting how to play, like I did with TIS-100 and SpaceChem, and probably soon Magnum Opus (got about halfway through this, stuck at a level where even after looking at solutions I still can't build it).

Does Moletz-Synth require printouts? That's also why I never played much of Shenzen-IO: TIS-100 I could get by with the PDF instructions but Shenzen looks like that would be a big pain.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Kanfy posted:

And yet you can use one to revive someone hit by a spell called Death which causes a status that's literally called "Instant Death", explain that atheists

It was mistranslated, it's Instant Deaf.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Instant Death means you're dead, for an instant

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Volte posted:

Good post
I basically agree with this, particularly the CinemaSins analogy - I rarely feel I see a good discussion of how to avoid dissonance or what makes a good resonant game, and usually it's just nitpicking at some popular game that the writer doesn't like. Worst is when it's both nitpicking and they make flawed arguments, like demanding every aspect align to binary outcomes because they can't envision that some characteristic of a game might be orthogonal or tangential to the core theme, and trying to smash everything together.

HenryEx posted:

It was originally called Instant Deas, which is commonly known as a "KO" in our world
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaXigSu72A4

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Zachack posted:

I have it installed but haven't played it because I need a printer for the magazine and the shutdown means I'm only in the office one day a week and I forget while I'm there. I do wonder how far I'll get before forgetting how to play, like I did with TIS-100 and SpaceChem, and probably soon Magnum Opus (got about halfway through this, stuck at a level where even after looking at solutions I still can't build it).

Does Moletz-Synth require printouts? That's also why I never played much of Shenzen-IO: TIS-100 I could get by with the PDF instructions but Shenzen looks like that would be a big pain.

Molek-Syntez doesn't require anything and it's probably the simplest of his games.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
The mission in Sleeping Dogs where the triads say that they can discover undercover cops because they can't kill people was fun. You actually DON'T kill the bad guy (for once) in that one.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Zachack posted:

The PDF is fine, and Shenzhen's instruction set is simple enough.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

GreenBuckanneer posted:

They're knocked out after being hit with Sephiroth's Meteor thingy. #justvideogamelogic

oh that, that was just a dream

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The PDF is fine, and Shenzhen's instruction set is simple enough.

yeah the PDF is mostly a couple of pages on some instruction stuff you need to get familiar with, and then spec sheets or whatever for certain missions

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I'm sad, my old potato ROG laptop could run Yakuza 0 and Kiwami 1 flawlessly and holy poo poo is Kiwami 2 kicking its rear end. You know that when the starting option menu lags you're in for a bad time.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zachack posted:

I didn’t print anything out for Exapunks and it was fine. The actual instructions are pretty simple.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

singateco posted:

Tomb Raider

Not totally, half way through the game the enemies start reacting to you with "LOOK OUT IT'S HER!" barks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywyu1ZYyLBc
"She's got a grenade launcher! Run!"

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
My big one was ac black flag, where I spent the first half of the game more interested in exploring and conquering the open world than doing the story. Finally start on the story and at one point all the pirate lords gather for a meeting where they are ambushed by the Royal Navy. Scene ends with you on the run and a renewed effort by the government to stop pirates. Then back to the open world where I still own all the forts and ports and can still easily sink or capture any ship

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

tripwood posted:

I'm sad, my old potato ROG laptop could run Yakuza 0 and Kiwami 1 flawlessly and holy poo poo is Kiwami 2 kicking its rear end. You know that when the starting option menu lags you're in for a bad time.

I choose to believe that the massive lag spikes that happen when Kiryu tiger-knees a switchblade through the stomach of some delinquent highschooler are a stylistic choice by the devs rather than my mid-range pc dying

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I would prefer logical reasons for resurrection, like, phoenix downs only work if they're applied immediately and there was some story reason of why they couldn't apply them (someone stole their phoenix downs or something)

Or "phoenix downs only work if there is a body for the soul to return to" and they couldn't use a phoenix down because they threw the party member into a wood chipper.

Like that.

I've seen good (non-video game) interpretations of it.

One instance a group had a magic cupboard that "fixed" anything broken that you put in it. Crockery etc. They had a little girl dying of cancer or somesuch, and it was suggested to screw the ethics, put her in the cupboard and see what happens. Father responded that yes, they've been doing that - last time was just this morning. Turns out it can rewind the organ failure, but not the cancer doing it, which 'belonged'.

So yea, it's been thought of and has had some good takes on it. It just requires better writing than whatever you'll find in a FinalFantasy game.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 26, 2020

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Alien: Isolation is 95% off for the next two days. You now have no excuse not to get it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Blattdorf posted:

Alien: Isolation is 95% off for the next two days. You now have no excuse not to get it.

But now the question is: is the DLC worth :10bux: more?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

But now the question is: is the DLC worth another :10bux: ?

The Nostromo thing is cool if you are a hardcore Alien fan but that's a consideration for after the main game which is already a fair bit too long for most peoples taste so I'd say skip it for now and if you really want to revisit the game there's always other sales.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Mierenneuker posted:

But now the question is: is the DLC worth :10bux: more?

Nope. Just watch a video of it later.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I've wanted to try it for a few years, but now that I'm actually playing Divinity Original Sin II it's not really doing much for me. I feel like every D&D based game has the same boring story about an imperial order that oppresses mages. The characters aren't really drawing me in either. I ended up putting down Dragon Age Origins for the same reason. I really enjoyed Baldur's Gate II back in the day, which is why I get excited for these games, but I think my tastes have changed.

Debating now whether I should continue to power through (I'm only 3-4 hours in) or just move on to Into the Breach, Oxygen Not Included, or Battle Brothers.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Megasabin posted:

I've wanted to try it for a few years, but now that I'm actually playing Divinity Original Sin II it's not really doing much for me. I feel like every D&D based game has the same boring story about an imperial order that oppresses mages. The characters aren't really drawing me in either. I ended up putting down Dragon Age Origins for the same reason. I really enjoyed Baldur's Gate II back in the day, which is why I get excited for these games, but I think my tastes have changed.

Debating now whether I should continue to power through (I'm only 3-4 hours in) or just move on to Into the Breach, Oxygen Not Included, or Battle Brothers.

Hang in there a bit longer. I think it really starts to shine once you get some more abilities. I remember it taking a while to sync with me too but when it did, it really did.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

looking at the options in final fantasy 12, ive never seen new game- before. it says there is no use of experience points so i guess its like a story mode where you auto-level or something? weird.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Awesome! posted:

looking at the options in final fantasy 12, ive never seen new game- before. it says there is no use of experience points so i guess its like a story mode where you auto-level or something? weird.

It just puts you at level 70 which is absolutely enough for any regular content in the game and probably enough for all of the added stuff if you are playing smart and doing good builds/jobs.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Hang in there a bit longer. I think it really starts to shine once you get some more abilities. I remember it taking a while to sync with me too but when it did, it really did.

Act 1 of DOS2 is painful compared to the rest of the game, and I will literally never play it again without, at absolute minimum, the respec mirror in act 1 mod.

(though I also think it's too long and really drags by the end, and likely will never replay it regardless. Probably still the best multiplayer wrpg of all time though)

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Awesome! posted:

New game minus is hard mode. You start at level one and never gain levels. It's not that bad since you still have full access to the license board though

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MMF Freeway posted:

New game minus is hard mode. You start at level one and never gain levels. It's not that bad since you still have full access to the license board though

Welp I completely misread that post

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So Paradise Killer has a free demo for the next 5 days.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1160220/Paradise_Killer/

The game is essentially Daganronpa developed by Suda 51 with Hirohiko Araki doing the character art.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

When is the next big Steam sale?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Ulio posted:

Summer sales typically start mid to late June.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Megasabin posted:

Baldur's Gate is about a popular businessman rising to power and, instead of leading his nation to prosperity, dismantling its institutions and driving it to chaos as people grow increasingly confused about what's happening

Pretty topical imo

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ulio posted:

punk rebel ecks posted:

Summer sales typically start mid to late June.

Spring Sale used to be last week of May but might not exist anymore. Summer sale tends to be last two weeks of June, give or take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Serephina posted:

I've seen good (non-video game) interpretations of it.

One instance a group had a magic cupboard that "fixed" anything broken that you put in it. Crockery etc. They had a little girl dying of cancer or somesuch, and it was suggested to screw the ethics, put her in the cupboard and see what happens. Father responded that yes, they've been doing that - last time was just this morning. Turns out it can rewind the organ failure, but not the cancer doing it, which 'belonged'.

So yea, it's been thought of and has had some good takes on it. It just requires better writing than whatever you'll find in a FinalFantasy game.

I mean FFXIV Shadowbringers has some of the best writing I've ever seen in a game but ok.