Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mr. Lobe posted:

No it isn't. That's a corncrake chick. Juvenile ravens are not so conventionally cute, but they have their peculiar charms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKG6YRG0s_8

Note the bright red insides of their mouths. For crows and ravens, this is one of the most reliable indicators that you are dealing with a young one, as they retain that coloring for about a year. Makes an easy target for feeding.

Sorry, I just typed "baby raven" into google and picked a cute picture. Thank you for the information. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Absolutely amazing to me how Bill Gates, whose evil intentions were a punchline throughout the 90s (Tim Robbins played him as a cutthroat, devious murderer in classic 2001 hacker thriller Antitrust), managed to leave the public eye and start laundering money through his foundation just long enough to fully rehab his image, in spite of being a known Epstein associate

I remember pirates of Silicon Valley being kinda good but I haven’t seen it in years. shows gates as conniving and jobs as a total rear end in a top hat if I recall

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

gotta hand it to the guy, pro social distancing strategy

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1254516380327706632?s=20

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Beginning of the end of the dominance of the US university system

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

all of them look like they are about to sneeze so its a good idea to stay away

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

We locked down so hard we’ve cured the flu

If all people carried forward from this was washing their hands more, not touching their faces, and maintaining distance in busy places, flu numbers would plummet.

Some health authorities are hoping that by the time restrictions can be fully lifted those behavioral changes will have become ingrained.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
what really pisses me off is that I hate insidious tech/VC-funded poo poo like Kahn Academy, but now that I'm locked down with a preschooler and a 2nd grader not only are all of those sites part of their daily curriculum, I'd loving kill for a Channel One reboot

*taste the rainbow*

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

i rented a suit from mens warehouse last year and im getting increasingly desperate emails trying to get me to buy stuff every week or so

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

The entire UES has fled, no client that can afford his services is within 200 miles of his shop for the foreseeable future.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

quote:

He insists that his $85 pocket squares and $15,000 suits are part of the fabric of New York City

Lol yeah. Buddy, the lockdown is the least of your worries.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I kept getting mad that the media kept saying 12 to 18 months for a vaccine because that’s so irresponsible but then I realized how many people are expecting a vaccine in August at the latest and realized maybe it doesn’t matter what anyone says. Half the people I know use the phrase “when things get back to normal” all the time because they haven’t really even started processing what’s happened. A lot of people are running on hope fueled autopilot so their minds don’t break and it might not matter how nuanced your take or how realistic your timeline is because no one is ready to process that information.

that's a fair point. I guess I forgave govs/corps pushing things back only 2 weeks back in March because I figured it would take that long for people to get comfortable before they shut things down for another 2 months, and it seems that's what has happened (intentional or not)

18 months out is already stretching most people's expectations. I think many people still think this is going to naturally go away in the summer without any behavioral changes, even though southern cities have been proving that wrong for months at this point.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
hey neat, apparently they are starting a second BCG trial in the Netherlands in addition to the one for healthcare workers, this one is for the elderly and anyone over 60 can sign up (I think, maybe not)

https://twitter.com/Holandka/status/1254522116046798848?s=20

twoday has issued a correction as of 22:29 on Apr 26, 2020

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

dew worm posted:

I remember pirates of Silicon Valley being kinda good but I haven’t seen it in years. shows gates as conniving and jobs as a total rear end in a top hat if I recall

it does and it owns. best movie about either of those poo poo heads. it also shows how they stole all their gui poo poo from xerox and dos from that nerd in an arizona shed or w/e

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Definitely not whoring for attention by publicly posting this in the New York Post.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

lol they can't even get the math right

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

VectorSigma posted:

Clearly COVID-19 is the next step past Obama in terms of world plagues. Gotcha! :smugbert:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/economy-class-virus/index.html

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

VectorSigma posted:

its a photoshop

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Salt Fish posted:

It's good actually. They're taking the 7 most promising options and mass producing them simultaneously to doing trails so that they can throw away whichever ones don't work. He says in the article that their estimate is 1-2 years for that to happen, so its better than doing 2 years of research and then 2 years of manufacturing work afterwards.

It's marketing bullshit, but I'm willing to admit that Gates isn't doing it for even more money, and probably thinks he's doing good.

I'm not taking a vaccine that only has a year of research put into it. If they actually follow safety precautions we are a few years away.

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

how dumb is it for someone who probably hasn't had COVID to take the NYC subway? trying to convince my friend to shell out the extra $50 for a lyft

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

E Depois do Adeus posted:

how dumb is it for someone who probably hasn't had COVID to take the NYC subway? trying to convince my friend to shell out the extra $50 for a lyft

extremely. like death wish stupid.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

If we come out of this with a vaccine at all (let alone one that isn't designed to need a booster every 12 months, gotta get in on those recurring costs) we should thank our lucky loving stars
I don't care if some nerd microchips me in the process and I don't care if a rich man gets richer because of it

what a strange hill to die on

I mean, it would be great and all, but Gates is a tech pitchman first and foremost, so you shouldn't believe anything he says until a vaccine is actually in hand. People are saying all sorts of wacky optimistic things regarding a Covid vaccine, and I doubt things will be so rosy.

Also, remember, 15 years ago Bill Gates promised to give most of his wealth away to charity. He was worth 45 billion. After 15 years of that, he's now worth $100 billion.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There was an infection map of New York a few weeks ago and it was basically in the shape of the subway system

edit:

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 22:50 on Apr 26, 2020

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i think im going to email the two HG members who agreed to stay behind to keep the website up, see how they are coping with 2020 compared to everyone else

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

how does one get into or out of those seats?

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

drat that blonde is super hot

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

lol this is the same brain trust that came up with standing seats.glhf.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

born on a buy you posted:

how does one get into or out of those seats?

The lines are actually the rails in the ground that seats are bolted to. The passenger on the window seat has to zigzag to get out

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Steve Yun posted:

There was an infection map of Manhattan a few weeks ago and it was basically in the shape of the subway system

I think there are a couple of lines missing

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

this changes EVERYTHING

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Steve Yun posted:

There was an infection map of Manhattan a few weeks ago and it was basically in the shape of the subway system

hahaha holy poo poo id be so dead if i still lived in queens

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Oh they’re in the bargaining stage of grief.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

entirely useless if they still have the individual overhead fans

guess we'll just need to invest in light rail lol!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

E Depois do Adeus posted:

wear a mask if you have to go, seriously

this poo poo is aerosolized

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

:thunk:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Lady Militant posted:

drat that blonde is super hot

actual horny is prohibited thanks

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

fosborb posted:

entirely useless if they still have the individual overhead fans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

"Although there's no guarantee we'll actually see these designs fitted on airplanes, it's certainly encouraging that companies are already coming up with new and innovative concepts to reflect the altering travel landscape."

Did they really need to interject with the reporter's opinion on the corporate PR at the end of this non-op-end article?

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 22:56 on Apr 26, 2020