Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

oh there was also this moment that made me smile, and I have never seen anything like it in a video game before: I was about to take a point of morale damage, but made a successful Empathy check and blocked the damage with the power of self-compassion

also I am looking forward to another playthrough, when I am ready again- I did the 'youre a wizard harry' build, 1/6/2/3, complete dipshit with extreme emotional durability. This made morale damage trivial, and let me play the 'cop who is trying his best'- high Volition made it easier to halt his spiral into the depths even as Inland Empire was detaching him from consensus reality. It was fun and cool and touching and I'm glad these proclivities made my Harry a natural for the cryptozoologist quests- but there were encounters like Sunday Friend whom I don't think my -1 Logic/0 Rhetoric Harry was prepared to get much information out of, so they kind of fell flat. Thinkin 4/2/2/4 insufferable know-it-all next run, and then possibly a 2/2/6/2 angerboi who does not care at all about actually completing the case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Peanut Butler posted:

yeah i got that skill check chime in, too! I took it to mean that Harry's thoughts and decisions are literally guided by the skill system, in the programming of Revachol's reality, and who he even is varies based on who is playing- while Kim's are guided by a script that was already determined

it means other things, too, I just thought this connection was neat

it means he writes his thoughts down.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Peanut Butler posted:

oh there was also this moment that made me smile, and I have never seen anything like it in a video game before: I was about to take a point of morale damage, but made a successful Empathy check and blocked the damage with the power of self-compassion

also I am looking forward to another playthrough, when I am ready again- I did the 'youre a wizard harry' build, 1/6/2/3, complete dipshit with extreme emotional durability. This made morale damage trivial, and let me play the 'cop who is trying his best'- high Volition made it easier to halt his spiral into the depths even as Inland Empire was detaching him from consensus reality. It was fun and cool and touching and I'm glad these proclivities made my Harry a natural for the cryptozoologist quests- but there were encounters like Sunday Friend whom I don't think my -1 Logic/0 Rhetoric Harry was prepared to get much information out of, so they kind of fell flat. Thinkin 4/2/2/4 insufferable know-it-all next run, and then possibly a 2/2/6/2 angerboi who does not care at all about actually completing the case

for my second playthrough I just inverted everything, but I was mostly interested in seeing what I missed (a lot, though the beats stay the same largely), so for you it'd be like 6/1/3/2, though you're going to find a bitter enemy in Encyclopedia if you do this

4/2/2/4 is a solid loadout after supernatural cop

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My first run was 6/1/2/3 and I highly recommend it. Especially if you haven't seen super detective Harry Holmes in action.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/trCUZ08.mp4

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Renegade Cut finally released his Disco Elysium video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo4sHDGiDC0

He uses a full on cop and fascist playthrough as a vehicle to criticize police.

Spoilers obviously.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
At long last I finished this, the best game. There are Normal Games, there are Games of the Apocalypse, and then there are Actual Art Games. This Was an Art Game.

Loose ends I'm curious about -

Ending sequence: You get XP and can even level up from the conversation - is there any use for it?

Joyce: Is actually it possible to Reach For Something Fundamental?

Dream sequences: They did their best, but ancient reptilian brain and limbic system couldn't protect me from myself forever. Does The Dream trigger on day 7 regardless of whether you're on the island, and does it ever repeat? Also, I was a little sad that those two didn't have anything to say after the Tribunal.

And finally, I'd like to thank Inland Empire: I didn't wipe the mirror until day 4 and wow, I wish I hadn't. Didn't have nearly enough Electrochemistry to wipe that expression off my face. Can you just...not figure out what you look like? It'd be better that way.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Red Crown posted:

Joyce: Is actually it possible to Reach For Something Fundamental?

If you exhausted all of her dialogue options you get a thought that gives a huge bonus to that check. It's actually one of the most effective ways to min-max.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Red Crown posted:

And finally, I'd like to thank Inland Empire: I didn't wipe the mirror until day 4 and wow, I wish I hadn't. Didn't have nearly enough Electrochemistry to wipe that expression off my face. Can you just...not figure out what you look like? It'd be better that way.

The expression is actually much better than the alternative. You can avoid figuring out what you look like but if your DO find out and get rid of it, you look like the saddest sack. Same with if you shave, given the opportunity. Harry with Beard + expression is definitely preferable.

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

never kiss a gun street girl again

Doctor Reynolds posted:

What was everyone's favourite moment in the game? Excluding the ending, karaoke and the dance off, as those are easy answers!

We're not the fashion police. We're the real police.

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

Did you guys know that there are Challenging passives in the very first room of the game?

Try a glass cannon playthrough. There's a LOT of writing that most builds are likely to miss. It might be actually impossible to see everything in one go.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

INTERNALLY COHERENT!

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

wiegieman posted:

I want the sequel to Klaasje dealing with the voices in her head. Think of how high her electrochemistry must be!

And I want to do that interview again, but this time from the other side.

The sequel could be in 3 parts, one for Klaasje, one for Kuno/esse and hmmm, maybe the husband of the working woman joining the three threads together.

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

tripwood posted:

I played Sensitive Harry and I see no reason to be the judging hand of our unwanted corporate overlords, I won't judge nor kill anyone for any master. For Harry to get out of his hole and use his second chance, I think he needs to quit the force and start a detective agency with Kim and bring some detective savant justice to the slums. Martinaise needs her heroes.

I got a feeling it's not the last time we'll see Miss Oranje Disco Dancer. She looks like she could also have a pretty talkative skillset.

wiegieman posted:

I want the sequel to Klaasje dealing with the voices in her head. Think of how high her electrochemistry must be!

And I want to do that interview again, but this time from the other side.

Both of these together make me think...

Kurvitz talked about wanting to do a pregnant woman playthrough, didn't he? And the merc was enjoying himself when he died...

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I’d want a sequel to have a new cast of main characters and maybe see a different part of the world. If anyone returns from DE, I’d just want it as a cameo.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
If they make a sequel it should be in the same overall setting but with completely different characters and a totally different plot, and you maybe cross paths with a couple of characters from the first game and that's it.

Call it Grunge Elysium.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

whydirt posted:

I’d want a sequel to have a new cast of main characters and maybe see a different part of the world. If anyone returns from DE, I’d just want it as a cameo.

The DLC/expansion they talked about right after launch where you play as a pregnant woman sounds interesting only because I trust this team and pretty much no one else in the video game development world to pull it off well.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Dreylad posted:

The DLC/expansion they talked about right after launch where you play as a pregnant woman sounds interesting only because I trust this team and pretty much no one else in the video game development world to pull it off well.

I foresee that being fraught with peril solely because the baby might end up being a voice, either real or via Inland Empire, and that just brings all sorts of baggage with the "when does life begin?" debate such that it's all anyone would talk about, even if it was handled well.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Fuzz posted:

I foresee that being fraught with peril solely because the baby might end up being a voice, either real or via Inland Empire, and that just brings all sorts of baggage with the "when does life begin?" debate such that it's all anyone would talk about, even if it was handled well.

ZA/UM does not seem like a studio likely to shy away from political peril

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

wiegieman posted:

I want the sequel to Klaasje dealing with the voices in her head.

I want a prequel with Klaasje covering the events that led her to Martinaise. They wouldn't even have to care about canon because she lies about everything. As long as she makes it there without dying or being permanently disfigured, just about everything is open.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dreylad posted:

this is where I'm at as well

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Khizan posted:

I want a prequel with Klaasje covering the events that led her to Martinaise. They wouldn't even have to care about canon because she lies about everything. As long as she makes it there without dying or being permanently disfigured, just about everything is open.

A story set in Oranje in general would be interesting, though honestly they could stay in Revachol and just take us to another neighborhood and it'd still be great.

Hell, a crazy game where you play a Pale Driver crossing a few areas and having insane LSD dreams in the Pale would be cool, too.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the time is ripe for a Disco Elysium gacha

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I think they'd be crazy to do anything but set the next game at the start of the next Revacholian civil war, the one that looks to be kicking off during some of the story you get after you come back from the island. Between that and apparently Revachol getting nuked in 22 years, they've pretty well laid all the sequel hooks for themselves. The thing that makes me sad is that it probably won't star Harry, because his personal story is already explored in Disco Elysium. They'd have to start with a new character, one with their own demons to work through, if they want to recapture the magic of DE -- solving the mystery was only half the appeal, I don't know that it would have worked without the insane personal catharsis. I still haven't bothered to download Sherlock Holmes for free on the Epic Store, which is supposed to be pretty good. (e: I mean Sherlock is supposed to be pretty good, the Epic Store is supposed to be pretty poo poo.)

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 20, 2020

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i know this is probably late for "wow I didn't know this game had", but I didn't know that you could play the board games from the bookstore until now, and Kim getting sad that you beat him to punching out the pieces and tokens from the cardboard packaging sheet is the most :allears: moment possible

(it even helps the check for convincing him to play the game if he sees all the different pieces)

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

Phenotype posted:

I think they'd be crazy to do anything but set the next game at the start of the next Revacholian civil war, the one that looks to be kicking off during some of the story you get after you come back from the island. Between that and apparently Revachol getting nuked in 22 years, they've pretty well laid all the sequel hooks for themselves. The thing that makes me sad is that it probably won't star Harry, because his personal story is already explored in Disco Elysium. They'd have to start with a new character, one with their own demons to work through, if they want to recapture the magic of DE -- solving the mystery was only half the appeal, I don't know that it would have worked without the insane personal catharsis. I still haven't bothered to download Sherlock Holmes for free on the Epic Store, which is supposed to be pretty good. (e: I mean Sherlock is supposed to be pretty good, the Epic Store is supposed to be pretty poo poo.)

Not necessarily - Harry hasn't actually changed by the end of the game. Demons like those keep popping back up, it's why nobody is an ex-alcoholic. It'd be just as interesting to play Harry "in recovery".

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I can't imagine playing a sober protagonist in a sequel. You'd have to at least be schizophrenic or something.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Animal-Mother posted:

I can't imagine playing a sober protagonist in a sequel. You'd have to at least be schizophrenic or something.

my 1/6/2/3 run was a very sane and stable harry, i mean, compared to baseline- constantly making volition checks, being bolstered by a sense of self-empathy and the warm glow of comrades, able to tank shitloads of morale damage with a sort of 'oh, well, tomorrow is a new day' attitude, not analytically-minded or in touch with the city enough to really delve into how awful everything is-

i accidentally played a power fantasy of a person who can handle rock-bottom, in a game that seems to be designed to be a failure fantasy

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I’ll be a bit bummed if the sequel isn’t Disco Dancer.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Peanut Butler posted:

my 1/6/2/3 run was a very sane and stable harry, i mean, compared to baseline- constantly making volition checks, being bolstered by a sense of self-empathy and the warm glow of comrades, able to tank shitloads of morale damage with a sort of 'oh, well, tomorrow is a new day' attitude, not analytically-minded or in touch with the city enough to really delve into how awful everything is-

i accidentally played a power fantasy of a person who can handle rock-bottom, in a game that seems to be designed to be a failure fantasy

You consider having Inland Empire constantly talking to you "sane"?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You consider having Inland Empire constantly talking to you "sane"?

lol hell yeah, Inland Empire speaks in lofty terms that seem to dictate the reality around Harry, but really it meant that he had an extremely strong intuition, which covered all the gaps in his complete inability to think logically

there are times when IE is mostly about an overwhelming and unhealthy fear of getting emotionally hurt, but Volition would often step in and say 'no; you got this, you can face this'- and when it didn't, the ability to ignore the rotten parts of reality served Harry's recovery well

he might have been a bit nutty, thinking that the hanged corpse was talking to him, but it only told him things that he would have pieced together rationally if he weren't such a scatterbrain. He believed in some pretty far-out stuff, and would often go around warning about curses and bad omens, but his actions that came from this information were (relatively) measured except for, well okay, times like sprinting out of the Whirling and flipping the double-bird on day 1

I wanna play a low-PSY, high-INT run after this, to compare differences, but this game is like a very heavy meal- I finished it a couple weeks ago, but it still needs time to digest before I dive back in

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
By the time I'm ready to replay this, I'm going to be ready for another 6 PSY run. My phone background is Inland Empire. I want to talk to corpses and believe in aliens and dress like an apostate televangelist. My Harry will save your soul FROM Jesus, and I'm definitely not going to cut my hair this time, either.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Welp, I finished this. I'm kind of not sure what to say. Did a very old, lonely and broken person really snipe that dude out of jealously and maybe being hopped up on weird rear end bug aura?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

NecroMonster posted:

Welp, I finished this. I'm kind of not sure what to say. Did a very old, lonely and broken person really snipe that dude out of jealously and maybe being hopped up on weird rear end bug aura?

Yep.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Peanut Butler posted:

he might have been a bit nutty, thinking that the hanged corpse was talking to him, but it only told him things that he would have pieced together rationally if he weren't such a scatterbrain.

Eh, Inland Empire did have some things like with the corpse where it tells you that 'communism killed him, but love did him in' and it turns out that he was assassinated by a communist sniper who had a crush on the girl he was loving.

There's no reasonable way to intuit things like that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That's why Inland Empire is one of my absolute favorite skills. It spoils the whole game plot for you but in the most useless way possible that you won't be able to understand until you get there properly.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

That's why Inland Empire is one of my absolute favorite skills. It spoils the whole game plot for you but in the most useless way possible that you won't be able to understand until you get there properly.

Yeah it reminds me a lot of playing a Malkavian in Bloodlines. A lot of people always said about that game that you shouldn't play Malks first because it would spoil the game for you, but I did and it didn't make a difference because I had no idea what any of the foreshadowing meant until after the actual plot thing happened.

Really DE is just like "what if we made the Malkavian option from Bloodlines into the whole game".

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Jack Trades posted:

If you have a high enough Inland Empire when you get one of your first Shivers prompts describing what's going on in all directions of the city, IE will quickly interject 'that's where the miracle is' when you get to the... north? whichever direction the island is in. I think there's a similar line if you use the coin-operated viewer that's pointing at the island.

lov too have a cryptic-to-the-point-of-uselessness tiny David Lynch in my brain

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

NecroMonster posted:

You gotta hand it to him, it was one hell of a shot.

e:

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

SexyBlindfold posted:

You gotta hand it to him, it was one hell of a shot.

e:

I'm doing another playthrough already and paying attention to the spots in town that have been marked by bullets and the placement of them in relation to other things and this dude has been taking shots at people and stuff for a long time I think, and mostly missed, lmao..